Jar Jar Binks - MH13

Reaction score
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

Bought. Now if they just would do SA slave and padawan Ani's, and at the very least a Theed battle Padme.

Reaction score

We could use a new TPM Anakin. That version of him hasn't gotten a new toy in ages and he is a pretty major character. Maybe give him a pit droid as a pack-in since he'd be a pretty small figure? Or two-pack him with a new Sebulba?

Reaction score

I could hang him off the tow hook of my car I guess....

Reaction score

im up for a SA Jar-Jar!.... perhaps even a "stunned tongue" variant

Reaction score

There are only a few TPM figures that I would consider buying on a vintage card, Jar Jar is right there near the top of the list.

TPM is actually the prequel film that holds up the best for me after all these years. It's definitely the only one of the three that actually feels like a Star Wars film. I don't recall being disappointed with it at all when it first came out. I think I watched it 11 times in the theater. By comparison, I watched AOTC 3 times in the theater and ROTS only once.

I'd also like to see Anakin (preferably in his podracer gear), Sebulba, Watto, Queen Amidala (in her senate gown), and maybe Boss Nass. But they'd all have to be individually carded on vintage cards and completely new sculpts for me to care. I'd also get an all-new Darth Maul on a vintage card, but as long as he keeps all of his clothes on. I'm getting really sick of this whole shirtless Darth Maul fetish.

Reaction score

Haha this is great...

"I hate Jar Jar, but he needs an upgrade and I'll buy him anyway."

When was the last time Jar Jar was available at retail in any form? As part of the Saga 2002 collection? We've had five Jedi Lukes and two Dengars in that time.

I'll get one.

Reaction score

I'll buy one. I recently pared down my collection to a PT shelf and an OT shelf and it just doesn't seem right to have a prequal shelf without a good Jar Jar. That being said I'm not that big of a fan of the character so as others have already said I hope they get him perfect so that they don't have to make any more after this.

Reaction score

CommanderBow said:
I never got the huge hating Jar Jar thing.
Me neither actually and I'm surprised to hear people still expressing hatred for Jar Jar after 11 years. When I look at the prequels as a whole, TPM is by far the best movie of the trilogy. Not as good as the original films at all, but not really that bad. If I were to hand out letter grades for the 6 films, then ANH would get an A, ESB would get an A+, ROTJ would get an A-, TPM would get a C+, AOTC would get an F, and ROTS would get a D-.

Personally, I found Anakin Skywalker 10 times more annoying in Episodes 2 and 3 than Jar Jar was in Episode 1.

Reaction score

I don't know why Hasbro has been so gun shy with Jar Jar in the past few years. Sure 1999 was extreme overload, but he is a popular character with the newer generation. I don't recall ever seeing the CW Jar Jar pegwarm. That said, he and Darth Maul are in need of SUPER articulated updates. Can't wait!

Reaction score

bigbarada said:
CommanderBow said:
Me neither actually and I'm surprised to hear people still expressing hatred for Jar Jar after 11 years. When I look at the prequels as a whole, TPM is by far the best movie of the trilogy. Not as good as the original films at all, but really that bad. If I were to hand out letter grades for the 6 films, then ANH would get an A, ESB would get an A+, ROTJ would get an A-, TPM would get a C+, AOTC would get an F, and ROTS would get a D-.

Personally, I found Anakin Skywalker 10 times more annoying in Episodes 2 and 3 than Jar Jar was in Episode 1.
I'm glad there's somebody else that feels the same way about Episodes 1 - 3 that I do
. At least Jar Jar was intentionally laughable. The same can't be said for Anakin in Episodes 2 and 3. I literally cringed when he screamed "I hate you!" like a schoolgirl after the lightsaber duel on Mustafar. Ugh.

Reaction score

I never had a problem with Jar Jar, and never gave a **** what anyone else thought about him, or the PT. This is a much needed upgrade and I'll definitely pick him up.

Reaction score

lordtyrannus said:
I don't recall ever seeing the CW Jar Jar pegwarm.
I don't recall ever seeing the CW Jar Jar in the stores at all.

Reaction score

Woo Hoo!!! I'm buying good ole Jar-Jar!!!!!!!!

Reaction score

I like the Gungan design, I like Fambaa's and I like Jar Jar- this is a win for me. He's no Chewbacca- but Jar Jar is fun.

Reaction score

Darth_Jawa said:
bigbarada said:
CommanderBow said:
Me neither actually and I'm surprised to hear people still expressing hatred for Jar Jar after 11 years. When I look at the prequels as a whole, TPM is by far the best movie of the trilogy. Not as good as the original films at all, but really that bad. If I were to hand out letter grades for the 6 films, then ANH would get an A, ESB would get an A+, ROTJ would get an A-, TPM would get a C+, AOTC would get an F, and ROTS would get a D-.

I'm glad there's somebody else that feels the same way about Episodes 1 - 3 that I do
. At least Jar Jar was intentionally laughable. The same can't be said for Anakin in Episodes 2 and 3. I literally cringed when he screamed "I hate you!" like a schoolgirl after the lightsaber duel on Mustafar. Ugh.
Yeah, I was always fascinated by Vader's character as a kid mainly because he seemed so powerful, yet highly disciplined and completely in control. Anakin's character from Ep2 and 3 completely destroyed that image. Now Vader is just a spoiled brat who pretty much got exactly what he deserved.

Reaction score

I love Episode 1, my favorite of the prequels.

And a new Jar Jar figure up to current standards is waaaaay overdue, it's great he's confirmed now.

Reaction score

Gosh, it almost seems as if people LIKE Jar Jar Binks and Episode 1.

Reaction score

Gonna buy the new JJ because my Rancors and Wampas need a new plaything...

Reaction score

CommanderBow said:
So you've never seen TPM?
I'm a huge prequel fan, and I really want this figure. But I certainly can't argue with anyone who wouldn't buy it, or buy it just to torture it in some sadisticly carthartic way.

Reaction score

bigbarada said:
Yeah, I was always fascinated by Vader's character as a kid mainly because he seemed so powerful, yet highly disciplined and completely in control. Anakin's character from Ep2 and 3 completely destroyed that image. Now Vader is just a spoiled brat who pretty much got exactly what he deserved.
See, to me it just enhances the OT Vader as a character. He finally learned patience and control but at the cost of everyone he loved and his soul. In the end he did learn what Obi Wan had always tried to teach him, but thru loss instead of thru the wisdom of his Jedi superiors. It just reinforces the tragedy aspect of the story.

Reaction score

bigbarada said:
When I look at the prequels as a whole, TPM is by far the best movie of the trilogy.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Reaction score

Jar Jar would be okay if he didn't steal every scene in the movie.

Reaction score

antihero said:
See, to me it just enhances the OT Vader as a character. He finally learned patience and control but at the cost of everyone he loved and his soul. In the end he did learn what Obi Wan had always tried to teach him, but thru loss instead of thru the wisdom of his Jedi superiors. It just reinforces the tragedy aspect of the story.
I disagree, I think its simply the case that Lucas is the shoddy writer he admits to being, but whatever way you wanna justify it.

The prequels are inferior without a doubt and I don't believe thats just wearing OT nostalgia goggles.

But I find the light adventure of TPM more tolerable than the poorly executed dramas of ROTS. Storywise its the most useless film in the saga, and it need not have been that way, but its still a fun film, possibly aided by the nostalgia of it being the first new Star Wars film in such a long time.

Reaction score

Devo said:
antihero said:
I disagree, I think its simply the case that Lucas is the shoddy writer he admits to being, but whatever way you wanna justify it.

The prequels are inferior without a doubt and I don't believe thats just wearing OT nostalgia goggles.

But I find the light adventure of TPM more tolerable than the poorly executed dramas of ROTS. Storywise its the most useless film in the saga, and it need not have been that way, but its still a fun film, possibly aided by the nostalgia of it being the first new Star Wars film in such a long time.
Never said it wasn't the inferior trilogy of the two. I'm also not justifying anything. Just giving an opinion.

Reaction score

Sorry anti-hero, didn't mean to annoy you or make you feel you shouldn't express your opinion. I can see how I came off that way in my first sentence.

Reaction score

No problem, I already edited my post. Crappy day.

Reaction score

Imrahil2001 said:
bigbarada said:
When I look at the prequels as a whole, TPM is by far the best movie of the trilogy.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
Laugh all you want, but I stand by my statement. As Devo said, I'd take the lighthearted fun of TPM over the convoluted garbage that was Ep2 and the incoherent doom & gloom of Ep3 any day.

Reaction score

I was never bothered by Jar Jar. In fact I was a slight fan of his catchy way of talking (Sure all Gungans do but he did it the most)

If he's SA, sure I'll buy one!

Reaction score

bigbarada said:
Imrahil2001 said:
bigbarada said:

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
Laugh all you want, but I stand by my statement. As Devo said, I'd take the lighthearted fun of TPM over the convoluted garbage that was Ep2 and the incoherent doom & gloom of Ep3 any day.
Can't argue with incoherent...but the doom and gloom is kinda necessary because it's supposed to be a tragedy. The OT is a redemption story, the PT is a tragedy. Besides all the hate over the story, canon changes, and bad acting I sometimes get the feeling people don't like it because it didn't play like the OT did. But it couldn't since it's not the same kind of story.

Reaction score

The Phantom Menace has definitely grown on me since it came out in '99. I still think ROTS is the best movie out of the PT, though. If the dialogue between Anakin and Padme was not quite as forced and painful to watch it would be a great SW movie. AOTC is still by far, my least favorite SW movie. TPM is kind of like ANH I guess, the establishing story of the trilogy that can drag a little at times.

There are lots of great re-do candidates from TPM and Jar-Jar is probably #1.

Reaction score

It's ridiculous how people try to defend TPM. The plot doesn't make a lick of sense, the characters are flat and boring, there's so much CGI crap in every shot; it's an awful movie and nothing anyone says is going to change that.

Reaction score

antihero said:
bigbarada said:
Imrahil2001 said:
bigbarada said:

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
Can't argue with incoherent...but the doom and gloom is kinda necessary because it's supposed to be a tragedy. The OT is a redemption story, the PT is a tragedy. Besides all the hate over the story, canon changes, and bad acting I sometimes get the feeling people don't like it because it didn't play like the OT did. But it couldn't since it's not the same kind of story.
Episode 3 was nothing but frustration for me. Lucas spent two and a half films wasting time and then was forced to cram 95% of the Anakin-to-Vader story into the last half of ROTS. As a result, the entire "conversion" felt rushed and lacking the proper motivations and emotional resonance. Calling the film a tragedy is giving it too much credit. The audience needs to feel the pain that the protagonist is suffering in order for a tragedy to work. ROTS accomplished none of that because Palpatine's manipulations were transparent to everyone in the audience, yet the heroes of the story were somehow too dense to recognize them.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score

CaptainJack said:
I just hope they really nail this guy so that we can buy it once then never speak of him again.
See, this sort of philosophy, along with the "like-it-or-not-he's-a-part-of-the-saga" mentality just baffles me. Why force yourself to like something you don't, or buy something you really don't want? (Actually, that's a rhetorical question; I think I understand the psychology of it, and experienced some of it myself at one time, but it's still intriguing). I usually stay out of PT figure threads because I don't want to try to diminish some people's enjoyment of them with negativity, but I was curious about what people were writing about JarJar. Main character or not, he's not coming home with me (and I bought 2 each of Yarna and Willrow for dioramas!)

Reaction score

Ep 1 is a really poor film and barring a handful of cool moments I find it hard to watch, but, it is packed with awesome diorama opportunities and some really great designs. I found Jar jar annoying as all heck in the movie (though less so than boss Nass or Anakin), but I do dig his appearance. For those reasons, I'd probably buy a revised sculpt of him, although if it never came, that'd be fine too. I'm perfectly content with the versions I already own.

I can see them making him for younger generations though. My daughters both love him.

Reaction score

AdmiralScreed said:
It's ridiculous how people try to defend TPM. The plot doesn't make a lick of sense, the characters are flat and boring, there's so much CGI crap in every shot; it's an awful movie and nothing anyone says is going to change that.
And those same things are true of AOTC and ROTS. People just prefer those films because they get more into the real nitty gritty of what the whole thing was supposed to be about - showing Anakin becoming Darth Vader. And in this regard yes TPM was a complete waste of a film, what it covered plotwise should have been the opening crawl of a film rather than the film itself....but I just think its more enjoyable than ROTS. When I watch ROTS I find myself not giving a toss about whats going on - and thats a problem. There isn't even much visual beauty to look at to compensate. Its a depressing film for all the wrong reasons.

I'm not saying TPM is in fact a great film. I just think it has more redeeming qualities than ROTS and as a toy collector I find it a more interesting film to own toys from. There were no clones so Hasbro was forced to be more diverse in its offerings.

Reaction score

I don't need to convince myself that TPM is the greatest movie of all time in order to enjoy watching it. There are many movies that are technically very badly made, but I can still sit through them and enjoy them once in a while. It's the same with TPM. I never said it was a perfect movie or even a great movie. It's simply enjoyable and the best movie of a poorly written trilogy.

ROTS had the potential to be the best film of the trilogy and it came close except for a few fatal flaws (mostly Hayden Christensen's ineptitude in such a heavy role). If Hayden had been a better actor and George a better writer/director, then maybe the movie would not have failed on so many levels.

Jar Jar is a minor annoyance compared to all the other problems plaguing the prequels. And it's really a shame that George caved in to the fan pressure about Jar Jar, because it was clear from watching TPM that the character was to play a much larger role in the rest of the trilogy. Instead of trying to redeem the character, Lucas shoved him in the background, making all of that time spent suffering through his over-the-top antics in Ep1 a total waste of time.