Jar Jar Binks - MH13

Reaction score
It's confirmed from the C5 floor that Jar Jar Binks will be coming out in the vintage line next year.

I'm sure this one will be a bit polarizing, so what do you think about this release?

Reaction score
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

Like him or not, this guy deserved a nice upgrade. He's one of the main characters in TPM and therefore deserves a great figure to be made. Hasbro's track record with alien figures is pretty phenomenal, so I am betting this figure will not disappoint once he's unveiled to us.

Reaction score

Ugh! I guess it was technically in need of an upgrade, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to buy this figure (or any TPM figures for that matter).

Reaction score

Ah a perfect start to the thread, and just what I expected.

I agree with Darth Brett that this figure was sorely needing an upgrade, and this is the perfect place for a release. We haven't seen a new Jar Jar since POTJ days, so most of the older Jar Jar figures are more in line with Kenner figures than the current standard, so, he does need an upgrade.

As for Episode I in general, I completely disagree, most all of the figures from that film sorely need an upgrade, as, like Jar Jar, they are from the POTF2 time frame, and are just completely out of date with the modern line, 6 POA, poor detail, over-scale, etc. etc. etc. If they did a some modern sculpts on the Naboo guards, soldiers and pilots, I bet they'd look superb, and would be good sellers - same with some of the early Jedi Council members.

'78

Reaction score

I gotta agree with Brett; it's time for a new Jar Jar. Like him or not, he exists, and there isn't a version of him that could be called modern. I'd snap up a new one in a second, and I don't have any particular fondness for hime even.

GNT

Reaction score

I wouldn't mind an updated senator version as well, both TPM and AOTC versions have been long overdue so I'm glad one is on the way.

Reaction score

I just hope they really nail this guy so that we can buy it once then never speak of him again.

Reaction score

Since1978 said:
As for Episode I in general, I completely disagree, most all of the figures from that film sorely need an upgrade, as, like Jar Jar, they are from the POTF2 time frame, and are just completely out of date with the modern line, 6 POA, poor detail, over-scale, etc. etc. etc. If they did a some modern sculpts on the Naboo guards, soldiers and pilots, I bet they'd look superb, and would be good sellers - same with some of the early Jedi Council members.

'78
I don't deny that the 1999 Episode 1 figures are outdated. I just can't understand why anybody would want to buy figures from such an awful movie, particularly a character as annoying and stupid as Jar Jar Binks.

Reaction score

It's all part of the bigger saga - and frankly some of the designs, and look of Episode I were really appealing. Believe me, I love my OT, it's what I grew up with, I remember walking out of the theater in 1999 feeling cheated, but alas, after ten plus years, that feeling has faded, and now it's just part of the bigger picture.

So I for one would welcome a lot of those upgrades, and am anxious to see Jar Jar upgraded to the same level that they've achieved on Ackbar, the G. Guard, etc.

I guess I could ask you the same thing about Admiral Screed... Why would anyone want anything from the dorky cartoons or the Ewok movies or any of the post ROTJ EU dreck....

Just my take....

'78

Reaction score

AgentClaret said:
'Cuz it's Star Wars!

I mean... come on! We're the dudes who bought Yarna and Willrow Hood!
Not all of us bought Willrow Hood...

And despite Yarna and Willrow being weird background characters, at least they were from good movies. I can't say the same thing for Jar Jar.

Reaction score

Since1978 said:
It's all part of the bigger saga - and frankly some of the designs, and look of Episode I were really appealing. Believe me, I love my OT, it's what I grew up with, I remember walking out of the theater in 1999 feeling cheated, but alas, after ten plus years, that feeling has faded, and now it's just part of the bigger picture.

So I for one would welcome a lot of those upgrades, and am anxious to see Jar Jar upgraded to the same level that they've achieved on Ackbar, the G. Guard, etc.

I guess I could ask you the same thing about Admiral Screed... Why would anyone want anything from the dorky cartoons or the Ewok movies or any of the post ROTJ EU dreck....

Just my take....

'78
I guess that's one way of looking at it, but I'm still not completely sold. The only TPM characters that really interest me are the villains.

And no, Admiral Screed was not from a dorky TV series. I happen to really like "Droids."
Besides, I'm sure a lot of people would take an Admiral Screed figure over a Jar Jar Binks.

Reaction score

Since1978 said:
Very well put!

Screed... you didn't buy Willrow? He's good custom fodder at the very least! Plus, now I get a warm fuzzy feeling whenever I see that split second of him running through the halls of Cloud City...

Reaction score

Since1978 said:
Nah, can't have that, as the stupidly pre-posed AOTC version needs an upgrade, and ROTS was never done.
I would like to see a senate version, but if they never do the ROTS one, I'm fine with that.

Reaction score

Darth_Brett said:
Like him or not, this guy deserved a nice upgrade. He's one of the main characters in TPM and therefore deserves a great figure to be made.
What is this world coming to when I find myself agreeing with this statement

Reaction score

Awesome!! He's much needed of an upgrade like previously stated. I grew up with the PT, and I feel that TPM is the most ignored when it comes to figures by Hasbro. IMO Episode 1 is my favorite of the saga. Bring on some more TPM figures!

Reaction score

CaptainJack said:
Since1978 said:
Nah, can't have that, as the stupidly pre-posed AOTC version needs an upgrade, and ROTS was never done.
I would like to see a senate version, but if they never do the ROTS one, I'm fine with that.
I agree - was mostly giving you a hard time about the whole "never" statement. The AOTC version is needed, but the ROTS would be a bonus if they did it - heck, I don't even know what the costume looks like as you hardly saw it during the film - and guess that the funeral version was the same as the senate version at the beginning.

Not that important!

'78

Reaction score

Jar Jar is in desparate need of an upgrade. I was looking at my '99 version a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed how dated he looks. I would definitely buy this figure.

Reaction score

AgentClaret said:
or there's always bottlerockets and firescrackers and stuff...
Great idea!

I may even buy a dozen of these with the ideas you're giving me!

Reaction score

Great. Another key character no doubting getting a definitive upgrade. TVC delivers once more.

Meesa happy.

Reaction score

For the card, I want the pic of him to be the one where he gets it in the you know where from that Pit Droid!!!

Reaction score

I'm totally fine with Jar Jar getting an update, but I seriously hope they don't put him on a vintage card. That would be a serious slap in the face.

Reaction score

Why, the vintage card is exactly where he belongs - I don't get this purist thing about vintage card backs - and y'all know I LOVE the OT, and generally hold that above all other source material, but man, these card backs look better than anything else we've had in recent years, so why not put great new figures on the vintage card backs - OT, PT, EU, I don't care - I hope they never stop!

'78

Reaction score

Did anyone play the Episode I game for the original Playstation back in the day?

There was a level with Qui Gon in Mos Espa where you're looking for Jar Jar. You do some double-jumping up to a top floor apartment, and there's Jar Jar standing watching an Ortolan (blue Max Rebo guy) taking a bath. It always seemed kind of awkward... like you stumbled onto something strange and kinky...

anyways, how cool would it be to recreate that little scene?!?

Reaction score

I'd want his face in between the pods of Anikin's racer when he's getting electrocuted to be the picture.

As for other upgrades. I really want to see the Naboo Royal Guards, Security and Pilots get upgrades. I liked all those designs.

Reaction score

I agree. As disappointed as I was with TPM, I've always liked the Naboo costume designs.

Reaction score

Of all the prequels TPM is my favourite to collect from. Just today I received 2 Eopies.

Personally its ROTS I don't bother with, my least favourite film of the whole saga. The increased drama of that film demanded a superior script and superior acting and it utterly failed to deliver. Thus I find the bad dialogue and bad acting much more tolerable in the lighter and more colourful TPM.

I'd buy a new Jar Jar despite not liking the character.

Having said that I don't think the old 1999 figures are as bad as some here seem to think they are. I don't think theres been a better Destroyer droid than the original or a better Darth Sidious. And I still like the current Naboo guards. I'd like new SA ones but I can still tolerate the originals.

Reaction score

I don't know, those figures are really dated when you compare them to the current standard. It's not just articulation, it's detail, it's the scale of the figures - check the 2000 guard - he towers over ANY figure made today. Just would be nice to see them get the same treatment. Especially with the ornate nature of the costumes, I think they'd really pop with the current standard, and would really show how dated the older figures are.

Hopefully they'll do a Panaka or something like that first, and then everyone will see - and we get the usual chain reaction from there.

But this is about Jar Jar, so back on topic - sorry...

'78

Reaction score

Panaka seems like a no-brainer for a redo. And apart from podracers it almost seems like we can rule out 'new' prequel characters for the most part. Rum Sleg was an oddity in the trend. Hasbro doesn't seem to have much confidence in any PT character that isn't a redo of some sort, that and clones and jedi...and even in those subcategories its mostly redos.

Reaction score

If this is real, I will buy at least 3 of them.

And I would buy another 5 Jar Jars beyond that before I would buy a single Admiral Screed.

Reaction score

No doubt we'll get a TPM retool though i wouldn't mind a ROTS Padmé's funeral version. Yet, i sense this won't ever happen

Reaction score

They oughta just give him his TPM outfit but with some kind of extra cloak or softgoods Senate robe. That would kill two birds with one stone since the chances of TWO Jar Jars is real slim...

Reaction score

He certainly deserves his moment to shine. Alas, a moment is all I can give to him...

Reaction score

CaptainJack said:
I just hope they really nail this guy so that we can buy it once then never speak of him again.
yeah being a fan of the OT, please Hasbro, just do him right and get him over and done with!

Reaction score

I'll probably get Jar Jar and hang him by his neck out of the bottom of my new AT-AT.