Jabba's throne room - Refurbishment project

Reaction score
Hello all,

It's been over 10 years since I built my Jabba the Hutt throne room and I decided it was high time to do some refurbishing, updating, and repair work. This work includes flooring and walls as well as some of the furnishings of the palace. First up is the floor of the main chamber.

My original floor. The grating was done by hand out of cardboard.

I found this design for the floorgrate on thingiverse.com created by FigureWorks that I sent to be 3D printed and it's amazing. Here is a link to his page: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2867244

Floor has new trapdoor and release mechanism.

I covered the floor in textured wall paper and then painted it. It gives it a sand/dirt floor look.

I quick set up to see how it looks. Everything will eventually be painted lighter to match the floor. Everything is too dark and looks more like it's made of mud than Tatooine sand.

Comparison of my old and new floor

Later I will post pictures of my new rotisserie and grill.

Thanks for looking!
Jabbapalacespy

Reaction score
Love the new floor. Sure wish that was scaled to the 6in line, lol. Love seeing Jabba dios, never get sick of seeing them. Looking forward to seeing more of your updates.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Great stuff- I have yet to tackle the throne room, but if I do, I'm coming here!

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Now for my new rotisserie and grill which was a labor of love, . . . and suffering. I'll get to why in a moment.

I started by making stencils based on what I wanted to change from my original, in this case, making it taller in height but shorter in length. My original is made out of foamboard and cardboard whereas with my new one I used styrene, a form of plastic. This was the first time I'd used styrene and was unsure of how to cut it. However I found it pretty simple to use as you don't have to cut all the way through. You just have to score it with a hobby knife and then snap off the pieces.

For the design on the ends I coiled up wire and glued it in place. The rivets are pinheads and the inside boarder is string glued into place. The whole thing is super-glued in place.

The arms and spit are made of wire and scrap metal pipes purchased at the hobby store. I have a dremel which makes drilling holes both the metal pipes and styrene really easy. The ends of the spit are various sized buttons all glued together.

Painted with most of the details finished. I am very pleased with how it turned out especially sense I really did suffer. To get this to stay together I used a lot, and I mean A LOT of superglue. Well I found out the hard way that I'm seriously allergic to superglue! o-o I've used superglue before and never noticed any problems, but I never used it in copious amounts like I did on this project. Not to mention I have poor eyesight and had to hold it right up to my face to see what I was doing. Superglue is odorless to me and it never dawned on me that the fumes could affect me. What I first thought was simple seasonal allergies soon gave way to a nasty cold/flu-like condition as the fumes burned the linings of my nose and sinuses. Through a process of elimination and investigation I found out it's what is called a Cyanoacrylate allergy, or CA allergy for short. It's a pretty nasty condition I'd never wish on anyone. It took me over a week to get over it AFTER I stopped using the glue. Here's a link to an article by another hobbyist warning of the dangers of superglue if you are interested.

https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/42546-attention-kitbashers-super-glue-sensitivity-issue-warning/

Now I wear a respirator whenever I have to use superglue. For this piece I can definitely say that I suffered for my art! Anyway, here is the final product.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have finished refurbishing the trophy gallery section of Jabba's throne room.

The most extensive upgrade was to the curved steps in the back. From what I could make out from screenshots there is a small alcove beneath the steps. So I completely removed the old stairs and made new stairs that are taller with an alcove beneath them. I also added textured paper to it.

Other small changes included adding texture to all stairs and doing a small alteration to the area where Han Solo hangs.

Here it is mostly done. I will still added a few touches here and there. Now I am working on some of the furnishings that go in this area.

A few comparison shots. My original was way too dark. Now it looks more like a structure found on Tatooine.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Just beautiful! Don't you love refurbishing as much as making a new, original? I sure do!

Reaction score
I'm currently working on the lounge area, raising the steps, making new tables and accessories, and repainting it.

Rewiring lights and gluing new pattern to the floor.
New table on the left, old table on the right. Reference picture ->

Making progress. I'm also making more pillows.

Reaction score
You have been a HUGE inspiration over the last decade for me. Absolutely fantastic figures over the years. And this is really something, great WIP shots and the results are phenomenal. So much great detail. I am seriously ripping off so much of your stuff here and elsewhere. The barbecue alone is mind blowing. Just....Damn man,...so much custom goodness, keep it going.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Amazing! Love the pillows and rugs everywhere. In that last booth with the Ugnaught, you can hot glue the rug down onto the step if you choose; I did that in one of my dioramas, and it looked very natural.

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't notice the rug until after I took the pics. I wetted it down and it dried in place pretty well. I don't want to glue it because I like to change the props around from time to time.

Reaction score
Wow. Your diorama is just beautiful! I love all the detail. You're an inspiration! I hope that my diorama is half as good as yours when I finally get around to making it.

Reaction score
I'm now working on the section behind Jabba's throne. This one needs a lot of work since it was the first section I built many years ago and it wasn't until after I built this part that I started cutting notches and tabs into the structures to help them hold together. As such this part is(was) held together with a lot of tape and masking tape does NOT age well. I considered just rebuilding this part from scratch but I'm too sentimental and decided to try breathing new life into the old section. Plus I really didn't want to all that extra work. I think it's coming a long rather well.

Cutting out and gluing down pattern on steps and floor.

Cracks and joints are filled in with plaster.

Aging and fading the archway glyphs. This took a looooooong time to do. A lot of painting, sanding, repainting, more sanding, and chalk brushing details. Whew!

Reaction score
There's so much great detail, the bar-b-que is effing amazing. And pumpkins? Holy moley. I am really blown away with the details.

Reaction score
Finally working on the last section of Jabba's throne room. To start I am remaking the hologame consoles that are mounted on the wall near the main entrance.

First I remove the originals. I used them for size reference.

Test fitting the first console. It is cut from a thin sheet of styrene. The details weren't too hard to cut out, just time consuming. The translucent parts are cut from an old plastic lid.

The levers are made of Lego parts and glued into place. They can be moved up and down.

The front lip is molded out of clay. Buttons are added around the levers and sides. The I test the lighting effect. The orange details are cut from tissue paper and glued on the inside.

Added a base coat of brass and then darkened it with watered down brown.

Created back with opening for lights to stick through and test fitted it on the wall.

The last detail will be to paint lights on the front screen and then on to finish the second one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is looking amazing! I am going to use your BBQ spit buildup as inspiration for mine when I tackle that. I also love your glyph patterns around the arches. Your scratch-building skills are impressive.

Reaction score
Your Jabba's Throne room is awesome.
A superb work in the proportions, the quality of detail, light.
Your refurbishment brings a lot to your old version.

Reaction score
Thanks Jess! So glad you are back! I incorporated a lot of your ideas into my work. (It took me about a month to track down that superfresco print, lol!) Thanks for the inspiration and I'm glad to see the continuation of your diorama. I hope to make the Rancor pit below my display too someday. Right now I'm focusing on finishing my refurbishment.

It's been a busy summer and I haven't had time to work this for over a month. This past week I finally got back to it and I'm nearly done. And I have pics of my progress from early summer that I forgot to share that I'll post below.

Reaction score
I finished the entryway earlier this summer but forgot to post pics until now because things got crazy busy. And there were a few other things that I decided to incorporate after finishing the entryway. The first was to start refurbishing my extra section which I made up apart from the movies (mostly to fill up extra space on the table and keep my cat from jumping up on it!) It is comprised of a large hallway with steps and an elevator. I'm still working on it as of this post but it leads me to the second thing I decided to incorporate which was to connect the back sections of the hallways. Up until now the area behind Jabba's throne was a dead end with just a closet on either side. So I decided to join the areas together. This leads me to the third and final project which was turning a bunch of wasted space into a storage area for all of Jabba's goodies.

Some of the walls had bubbled so I replaced them so they would be smoother. I used sheets of styrene to replace them so that they wouldn't bubble up again when I painted it. The styrene is thin so I reinforced the back with pieces of foam board. I also added a few more steps to the top.

I put down textured paper and then created details like cracks in the walls. The pipes are made from different size plastic straws that are painted. The wind chimes are made from necklace chains and beads. Other bits seen sticking out of the walls are cobbled together from my scrap pile.

Finished entryway including gaming consoles and hookah pipes. Please note the gate area is not meant to be the big front gate in the movie. I just needed a way to close off this section.

Next up I begin opening up some areas and connecting them. The first pic shows how the area was closed off. Then I start cutting out doorways. The 3rd and 4th pics are looking at the new door from behind Jabba's throne into my 'extra' edition.

Finally while working on my entrance section I realized I had a large section of wasted space. I thought, "Why not make this area into some kind of storage room?" So I did!
Note all the wasted space.

building walls and the floor.

Finished! Guard it well, Fozec!

See where it is in relation to the entryway.

Once I finish the last section I'll put it all together and you'll be able to see how it all fits together. Thanks for taking a look!

Reaction score
Outstanding work. Love the store room. All the pots and wares really add a sense of realism to your diorama. The entrance looks amazing and love the paint job.

Reaction score
Thanks bwize!

Here are some pics of the entire back area that is now connected.

. . . .and here are some pics just of my refurbished extra section.

I have to connect the other end of Jabba's throne area (see below) and then I'll officially be done with my refurbishment project . . . . I think! :p Once that's done I'll post pics of the entire completed diorama.

Reaction score
Amazing work. How did you figure all backrooms out? I remember seeing an artist rendition one time but it wasn’t this detailed. Anyway nice work and looking far to the final photos.

Reaction score
Thanks DagobahDweller! I did see an artist's interpretation in the book "Inside the Worlds of Star Wars trilogy." But I didn't really follow it. This is entirely my own design based on how I think it might have looked.

Reaction score
It is Finished!!! Well, a least 99.99% finished. There are still a few tweaks that I want to make here and there but for all intensive purposes it is complete. The last few details I've added include opening up the other end behind Jabba's throne and connecting it to the adjoining section and creating a new ventilation shaft that hangs over Sy Snootles. I also used this opportunity to display many of my custom figures. The pictures I'm sharing below are based on the droid's arrival in Jabba's throne room. I tried to match the figures and props to reference photos as best I could but I still got some things wrong. :\ So after spending over an hour setting everything up and dealing with the dreaded domino effect multiple times (I'm sure every collector and diorama builder knows what I'm talking about! :rolleyes:) I took pictures and decided it was good enough. So yes I know R2 and 3PO are on the wrong sides, Amanaman is missing his skeleton corpse, etc etc. But, hey, you get the gist. ;) Now my plans are to work on some more custom figures, including some based on concept maquettes that never made it into the movie.

Wide shots of the whole diorama. It was hard to fit it into each of the pictures because my ceilings are so low.

Jabba's bowl and pipe are a few of the things I will eventually tweak. I want to incorporate vintage
pieces as I think they will actually look better.

Panning to the left of Jabba. Here you can see the new ventilation pipe hanging down.

Panning to the right of Jabba: Gaming consoles and entryway.

Top of the steps up from the entryway (my interpretation). Not meant to be the main entrance.

Lounge area.

Trophy Room area behind bandstand.

Area behind Jabba's throne and new adjoining hallway. The doorway in front of the
bald figure in black leads to the door behind Amanaman.

Wide shots of the main floor.

I didn't include more pics of my extra section and the adjoining hallways as I already posted pics of those parts and hadn't changed anything with this set up. So posts above for pics of those areas.
Thanks to everyone for there support, advice, and encouragement! :) I'll post more photos from time to time whenever I change the setup or make adjustments.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is just fantastic! Love your attention to detail and all the custom rooms. I will continue to look at this for inspiration for my own project.

Reaction score
This is really good stuff, and it inspires me to update my Jabba's Palace, which is now at least 17 years old. My only hesitation is that I didn't build it, so part of me wants to keep it the way it is because it reflects the builder's work. I would definitely want to repair the floor and perhaps build the grate, which wasn't done originally (there's a trap door, but no grate).

Reaction score
Thanks Jess! So glad you are back! I incorporated a lot of your ideas into my work. (It took me about a month to track down that superfresco print, lol!) Thanks for the inspiration and I'm glad to see the continuation of your diorama. I hope to make the Rancor pit below my display too someday. Right now I'm focusing on finishing my refurbishment.

It's been a busy summer and I haven't had time to work this for over a month. This past week I finally got back to it and I'm nearly done. And I have pics of my progress from early summer that I forgot to share that I'll post below.
Thank you Jabbapalacespy. Lol, If you had sent me a message, I would have sent by mail you with pleasure some big Superfresco print scraps ! I'm glad you found it. The Rancor pit ? Oh yes, so good idea !
Its really impressive too see your last posts. Your custom figures are perferct too. AMAZING job my friend !