Jabba's Palace

Reaction score
This is what I have envisioned for this completed diorama. A 2 level scene. Top of course being Jabba's throne room and the second level the Rancor pit and 2 other scenes. On the right side I am thinking of a "baby Rancor petting zoo" 😂 😂 😂 using the smaller Rancors from the Revenge of the Rancor Command sets. 2nd pic...Adult Rancor and Jr. On the left side I was thinking of either a bar scene or the $$ dungeon set $$.

Attachments

• 20220630_065934.jpg
    20220630_065934.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 52
  • rancor jr.jpg
    rancor jr.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
I like your progress and find it hilarious that there is an [unintentional] deer head in the background where the Jerba head should be.

Reaction score
Just made a deal for the Jabba Dungeon Set so I guess that will be going into the left side, bottom tier. No figures but I have them already

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have the Jabba Dungeon but the more I think about it, the less I like the idea of it being included. It just seems to be out of place. I am thinking of shelving it and creating a bar along the lines of the Nevarro bar scene..pre fire. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
I have the Jabba Dungeon but the more I think about it, the less I like the idea of it being included. It just seems to be out of place. I am thinking of shelving it and creating a bar along the lines of the Nevarro bar scene..pre fire. What do you guys think?
I have never liked that playset as it has nothing to do with Jabba [Jawa version is awesome though]. It also doesn't seem like an effective way to display figures. But that is just me. From your posts, I can't tell if that playset has an emotional connection to you.

More importantly, from your pictures, it looks like your display shelf consists of a top [Jabba's throne room], with 6 square display nooks underneath. One will house the Rancor, and it looks like some will go for Hoth figures and one for a different scale of figures.
Will this display case have a theme [by movie, planet, or category]?
Will the scale be consistent?
What figures do you most want to display here?
Will future projects impact this display?
What do you enjoy making? Interiors or Exteriors? Organic or man-made? Places or vehicles? Structures or characters?
If you know these answers, you may have a better idea going forward.

In my case, I have a 9 shelf unit. 5 belong to Jabba [with the top earmarked for Jabba's sail barge]. One is the Dagobah swamp [for all my custom monsters; another is the Cantina enterance [custom droids, Jawas, and vehicles]; with the last 2 spots going to Jakku and Maz's castle [LOTS of Alien/droid customs!!]
The legroom space for a chair currently holds boxes, but will eventually become a place to stash my Sandcrawler, if I ever get around to making it.

My general theme was alien customs. Everything stays in place. If I want to rotate my collection, I have different display cases for that.

Reaction score
I have never liked that playset as it has nothing to do with Jabba [Jawa version is awesome though]. It also doesn't seem like an effective way to display figures. But that is just me. From your posts, I can't tell if that playset has an emotional connection to you.

More importantly, from your pictures, it looks like your display shelf consists of a top [Jabba's throne room], with 6 square display nooks underneath. One will house the Rancor, and it looks like some will go for Hoth figures and one for a different scale of figures.
Will this display case have a theme [by movie, planet, or category]?
Will the scale be consistent?
What figures do you most want to display here?
Will future projects impact this display?
What do you enjoy making? Interiors or Exteriors? Organic or man-made? Places or vehicles? Structures or characters?
If you know these answers, you may have a better idea going forward.

In my case, I have a 9 shelf unit. 5 belong to Jabba [with the top earmarked for Jabba's sail barge]. One is the Dagobah swamp [for all my custom monsters; another is the Cantina enterance [custom droids, Jawas, and vehicles]; with the last 2 spots going to Jakku and Maz's castle [LOTS of Alien/droid customs!!]
The legroom space for a chair currently holds boxes, but will eventually become a place to stash my Sandcrawler, if I ever get around to making it.

My general theme was alien customs. Everything stays in place. If I want to rotate my collection, I have different display cases for that.
The case you see below is just what I am using as a work table. I originally intended the 9 hole shelf as a Star Wars Zoo with all the different creatures in some sort of small scene and may yet do that. This finished dio will consist of the main palace room and 3 cubby holes below it. To the right will be a cave-like scene with 2 small Rancors from the Rancor's Revenge set which I am calling Baby Rancors. I am calling it "The Rancor Petting Zoo" that was closed because they kept eating all the kids.:):):) Of course the Rancor pit in the middle and on the left a bar scene. I am thinking of using parts from the Nevarro Cantina there.

All my dios are built to fit the 3 3/4" figures and I like doing certain scenes that include the characters I like best such as the Ewoks in the Battle of Endor and have most all the parts to build an expanded Ewok village using 2 complete villages. My main concern when I am determining a scene to build is "Can I do it justice to it with my limited skills?" I start with a picture in my mind of what I am attempting to build but many times things have to be changed, added or deleted to fit. I try to build all the elements I can and as I have shown, I am not beyond customizing a figure to fit. Of course figures, creatures, and vehicles I purchase.

I also like to add a bit of levity or something not seen in the original movie but somewhat related in one way or another. The Ewok band and the Ewok riding a storm trooper and beating him on the head with clubs. The drunken passenger and the horse with no name, Sarlacc Pit, and the "petting zoo" in the Jabba Palace.

Attachments

• 20220713_003428.jpg
    20220713_003428.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Reaction score
Really starting to come together and look right since I got Jabba and a few figures today. I know I need a couple more but they are coming. I think I have a C3PO somewhere and maybe a R2D2. just got to search through some boxes.

Attachments

• jabba throne.jpg
    jabba throne.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 20220714_124205.jpg
    20220714_124205.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 20220714_124213.jpg
    20220714_124213.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Reaction score
Sometimes you can break from the "by the book" design on customs and dios, nothing bad about that in my book. It might not follow the strict blueprint for the palace but the point (I think) is to establish another area separate from the main audience chamber for Han to reside. Looks great!

Reaction score
Latest update. Removed the skiff guards and added Dengar and a modern Yak Face. Vintage one is just too costly but I may bite the bullet and purchase a repro. C3PO, R2D2, and Squid Face in route. Still trying to decide the layout of the bar in the lower level.

Attachments

• 20220721_092456 (1).jpg
    20220721_092456 (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • cabonite room.jpg
    cabonite room.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Bar scene in progress. A few added and bar back lit. picked up this group of bar flies to help populate it. Also picked up a couple more slave girls to added to the bar scene

Attachments

• bar flys.jpg
    bar flys.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220724_020905.jpg
    20220724_020905.jpg
    1,000.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220724_020915.jpg
    20220724_020915.jpg
    881.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reaction score
Well all figures are now in place. Complete except for a bit of tweaking. Bar complete except for whiskey and wine bottles on the bar back and painting table top. Just have to do a few touch ups. Essentially, I am done with this project except building the display case

Attachments

• 20220725_121900.jpg
    20220725_121900.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220725_114810.jpg
    20220725_114810.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220725_114829.jpg
    20220725_114829.jpg
    897.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220725_114757.jpg
    20220725_114757.jpg
    985.5 KB · Views: 17
  • palace.jpg
    palace.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
First I saw your thumbnail of everyone bending over the Rancor grate. Then I misread "twerking".:p

They all look really good, but before you declare them "done", consider adding greeblies, especially in the cantina. They will really make everything better.

There are lots of posters that could be added, or random junk.

It will look very impressive once in place.

Reaction score
First I saw your thumbnail of everyone bending over the Rancor grate. Then I misread "twerking".:p

They all look really good, but before you declare them "done", consider adding greeblies, especially in the cantina. They will really make everything better.

Ha! I actually misread and saw twerking myself. That's pretty funny. I think that shot causes some weird subliminal thing.

Looks good, great to have some places for those figures to call home!

Reaction score

Oh I know I will continue to add and "tweak" things. In fact I have already made a couple changes and additions since I posted these pics. Added a cave like entrance and a mirror behind the bar. And plans to add a couple mounted beast heads over the bar. OK, you got me. What are greeblies?

Attachments

• 20220728_234856.jpg
    20220728_234856.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Reaction score
I’m addicted to palace and cantina dios. I REALLY love that you have full complexes to flesh out the whole scene (and then some). Congrats! 🤩

Utinniii

Reaction score
Oh I know I will continue to add and "tweak" things. In fact I have already made a couple changes and additions since I posted these pics. Added a cave like entrance and a mirror behind the bar. And plans to add a couple mounted beast heads over the bar. OK, you got me. What are greeblies?

Greeblies are the random bits attached to a diorama or space ship. They are mostly used for texture and to make things look "Space-y".

Reaction score
Greeblies are the random bits attached to a diorama or space ship. They are mostly used for texture and to make things look "Space-y".
Yeah, I know the walls in the cantina should show some texture but am limited on space but I am working on a couple ideas. I also have some items like beer mugs and some of the cask from Nevarro cantina set in route also. Also working on a hookah pipe for the bar. Sometimes ideas come to me after I think I am finished and I continue to add and tweak.

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
Yeah, I know the walls in the cantina should show some texture but am limited on space but I am working on a couple ideas. I also have some items like beer mugs and some of the cask from Nevarro cantina set in route also. Also working on a hookah pipe for the bar. Sometimes ideas come to me after I think I am finished and I continue to add and tweak.
The cantia in ANH had jet parts and animal heads all over the walls. The pipes behind Han's chair are an excellent example.

Reaction score
How does this look for the bar wall? It is just a piece of tin foil I wadded up and then smoothed out some and painted. I wanted it to basically look the same as the other cave walls. The bar girl you see there is a Leia I found at the flea market. Someone has removed both her pony tail and skirt. And for .50 I used her.

Attachments

• cave wall.jpg
    cave wall.jpg
    865 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks great. Is snaggletooth breakdancing? You gotta put down a little cardboard so he can bust his moves.

Reaction score
How does this look for the bar wall? It is just a piece of tin foil I wadded up and then smoothed out some and painted. I wanted it to basically look the same as the other cave walls. The bar girl you see there is a Leia I found at the flea market. Someone has removed both her pony tail and skirt. And for .50 I used her.
Now THAT’S the kind of DIY customizing I live for! Well done indeed! 🤩