Jabba's Palace Diorama

Reaction score
Thank you VideoViper for your brilliant idea.

Yes Utinniii, foam insulation is very easy to sculpt. At home, I don't have a dog. It's just my little daughters who eats it :sneaky:
I have a hot wire cutter too and for the moment the hand cutter is very convenient for roughing.
The ramp under the trapdoor exit is a very good point. It was an other problem for me to make a choice.

Indeed, in making the diorama, I have seen that there is a big discrepancy between the movie set and the possibility to make it in reality and in my diorama.
The Main door of the Rancor pit is so high, when it rises, it must pass through the floor and the upper level.
The problem is, just above, there are stairs of the main entrance of the Palace if I respect the movie configuration.
So it's impossible that the up/down door to be in this area and I decided to shift the pit position.

On this pic, we can see that the door and the opening mechanism are in front of the Jabba's throne.

In the movie, the door is in front of the floor grates.

I thought that two movie sets, Palace and pit, had been made separately. However the picture under the grid shows the 2 sets together. The angles, movie and pic of my diorama, correspond well.

So I have a theory: I think the door in the full size pit movie set is not an entire door and doesn't move.
So it doesn't cross the upper floor. Only the door of the diorama movie set is operated.

As I shifted all the pit to make the door operable, the trapdoor is further away from the back wall now.

To make the ramp is more complicated. But I think it's possible with a toboggan system hidden in the rock.

I can ask all of you to participate in a vote :
- "Light side" for Yes
- "Dark side" for No

Thank you for any comment :)

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
I would extend the gate as far back as it needs to be for it to open and close. It might have to go right against the table wall though. It can lift up where the stairs curve out of the way.

Reaction score
I would extend the gate as far back as it needs to be for it to open and close. It might have to go right against the table wall though. It can lift up where the stairs curve out of the way.
Thank you Utinniii for these good ideas. It's very nice to reflect with me and received some proposals.
Unfortunately, I have already tried all these solutions.
For example, if I place the door behind the stairs curve, the door will be 20 " from the floor grid. It's way too far away I think. I should also expand my desk with this configuration.

On my pic, we can clearly see the gap between the floor grates + trapdoor and the door. The trapdoor should be behind the back wall (25" more at the bottom than on my pic ). I don't have other solution unless I made the large door non-movable.

So I think I keep the current layout and I will see if I make the ramp or not.

Reaction score
I would make the door move sideways instead of up. I may also build a second, raised door that fits in the top of the arch.
Utinniii you are great! You gave me the solution for my door.
I don't know if you were thinking about the same thing that me when you write "I may also build a second, raised door that fits in the top of the arch."

If you see my drawing, with a fixed part and a sliding part, I can reduce the total height of the door. I don't need to move the door to the upper floor.
Now, I have no problem for the trapdoor too. I can move all easily and maybe I will extend the corridor after the door.

Thank you so much :)

Utinniii

Reaction score
That's not what I was thinking but that is a GREAT idea. Your idea is much better.

This is why I think feedback is so important. Everyone sees thing in different ways so we can come to the best solution.

Reaction score
That's not what I was thinking but that is a GREAT idea. Your idea is much better.

This is why I think feedback is so important. Everyone sees thing in different ways so we can come to the best solution.
You are right Utinniii. With our two brains the issue was solved. Imagine that all members of this Forum participate, maybe one could build the Death Star :)

I made a Lego mechanism for the grid. It was a little complicated because there is 3" between the grid and the emplacement for rolling button.
So I add several gears. The mechanism will be hidden in the rock and the rolling button will come out of the rock, on the right side of the grid.

Here we can see a drain pipe that will be a perfect slide for Oola, Gamorrean Guard and Luke.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Reaction score
I dont know whats wrong with me, I hadnt even thought much about it or made the connection in my head that the huge grate in the palace isnt what the characters are dropped down and that the trap door is a different mechanism which leads to the chute.
I guess as a kid I thought Oola and Luke were dropped through the large grate. Now that I think about it I dont know why I hadnt figured that out.

Reaction score
"Now that I think about it I dont know why I hadnt figured that out."
It may be because we are all still kids Idpullthecurtain :)

Is it possible that the trap door and metal bars use the same mechanism? Both would be either opened or closed at the same time. Is that easier or more work?
I wanted to make this double mechanism, but it is not easily achievable.
The trapdoor and the grid don't use the same type of mechanism. The throne room and the pit are separate elements too, so it would be difficult to connect these mechanisms together.
But your comment shows that you have a lot of ingenuity Utinniii, :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Grid installation is finished !
Now I will be able to continue the work of the rock.

The grid mechanism in movie:

[video]http://vid1356.photobucket.com/albums/q740/jess3333/Opening%20Grid_zps0mrldini.mp4[/video]

Thanks for looking

Utinniii

Reaction score
Instead of painting the walls gray, how about making them stone wall (with an occasional pipe).
It would be cool if you added a couple of steps going down and made that an arch instead of a rectangle (part where Anamaman is).

I'd also consider a curtain in front of the Tauntaun head (Doesn't need the mechanism though).

Closed off space is wasted space. Make the Droid dungeon!

How much space is under the legs? Could you put the (Han's) cells there?

Grate job on the grate BTW!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you Ùtinniii.
Well, this sketch is an idea that will evolve anyway.
My reflection during the work to finish and the opinions of the members here (like your Ùtinniii) gives me ideas. I have a lot of fun sharing this.

The opinion of my wife is very important too. She is a painter. I really enjoy his work. She loves Star Wars too.

Even if I realize this diorama myself at home, I am open to feedbacks and proposals.
By the way, if I posted my work on Rebelscum, that's also for this reason.
I therefore thank all those who have encouraged my work, to give their opinion or their assistance, so far.

The arch is a good idea to round the opening in front of the "Amanaman room".
The open curtain without mechanism in the foreground was planned for the Trophies room. I will make an arch also in front certainly.

The walls of the cave are rounded. Therefore, facade this will form a stone arch as well.

For the general color of the exterior walls, I still hesitate between the stone tone and the dark gray tone.
Indeed, the thick walls without windows protect the Palace of the sun and the heat of Tatooine. There is no natural light penetrating inside.
I worked my diorama in this spirit. This is why the diorama is designed to be seen in complete black, or else, all the work with Leds lights to recreate the interior mood loses its interest.
So the color of the walls is anecdotal. It's just a matter of decoration in the room where it will be.
The Droid dungeon, I think so. Han and Chewie's cells why not?

I'm satisfied, the slide mechanism works perfectly. The figures arrive on the floor of the Rancor pit without jamming in the pipe. I'll make a video later.
Last pic before the rock that will hide the pipe:

The second hole was provided if the model is blocked inside the pipe but it has not happened yet.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Reaction score
Been following along with your build since the beginning. The research and attention to the details along with your topshelf execution have resulted in a Jabba diorama of impeccable quality. Thanks for sharing this on RebelScum. It is inspiring and instructional to share your techniques and problem solving skills with other aspiring dio builders. Now I motivated to finish up my 1/18th scale Yoda Hut build and post it up here on RS.

Reaction score
Been following along with your build since the beginning. The research and attention to the details along with your topshelf execution have resulted in a Jabba diorama of impeccable quality. Thanks for sharing this on RebelScum. It is inspiring and instructional to share your techniques and problem solving skills with other aspiring dio builders. Now I motivated to finish up my 1/18th scale Yoda Hut build and post it up here on RS.

Thank you very much DagobahDweller for your nice message.
I can't wait to see your 1/18th Yoda Hut :)

Reaction score
A NEW HOPE

Hey guys. Thank you ackbarium and babylon for your message.
I haven't posted in a while because I moved far and started a new life with my family.
Sorry for my late reply and your patience because I received messages during my long absence.

"A New Hope" because I live now in a mobile-home and, last year, I didn't know if I could keep my toy collection and my Jabba's diorama.
But, fortunately, my wife loves Star Wars and she gave me a big place in her little room which serves as a painting workshop.

I recently unpacked and installed my diorama (assembly of parts, electrical connections)
I started my work this week and I want to finish the Rancor Pit.
The details are important to me. I work the shape of the rocks as faithfully as possible with my photographic documentation.

Soon, I'll be working on the Rancor Gate and the rocky corridor behind, where Luke wants to escape.

Thanks for looking

Reaction score
This is looking great. That pit space looks HUGE! Can't wait to see you tackle the side room where Luke runs to.

Reaction score
Thank you very much bwize. Glad to meet you again.

I finished the 3D modeling of the Rancor big gate.
The gate is modelized in 5 parts :
Two parts will be assembled to form both sides of the main gate.
Two other parts will be fixed at the top of the rocky vault where will slide the main gate.

In clearing the movie screen photo capture, I discovered an interesting rounded detail on the left of the door.
The holes at the bottom will be closed at the back to give only a small relief.

Now I'm thinking of the mechanism to get the door up and down easily

Thanks yor looking

Reaction score
Awesome to see you back at it! Love the execution and the planning, the rock work looks great. Rome wasn't built in a day, so anything with a grand vision wouldn't be either, keep at it! Went back to look at some of the earlier pages too, holey moley, there's some amazing detail work!!!!!

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
You're back!!!!!
The new additions look great. I've been hoping you would get back to this. I've neglected my own for too long.

Great catch on spotting the door detail. I think I missed that.

For the gate mechanism, I would use a chain pulley system, (like opening blinds). I would work it into the guard room if there is space for one.

Reaction score
Ya know after taking a look at your awesome door design, it occurred to me that the only way for this door to work in reality is for it to operate like a garage door, folding up into the ceiling. It's rather separated into section already by design. Sorry if this has already been brought up, rinse and repeat, lol.

Reaction score
Thank you yodashizzle, Utinniii and Oofa.

Very good idea bwize ! However the design of a garage door would be more difficult than a sliding door I think.
I also wanted the door to be designed in the same way as the movie.

Exactly Utinniii, previously I noticed the gap between the door in the movie and its realization in reality compared to the plan. You helped me find solutions and I thought of a sliding door to reduce the height of the door.

With my 3D design, I can apply the right dimensions for my door and correct proportions for fixed and sliding parts. And not have bad surprises at the pose too !

I use cardboard and foam board. The grid pattern at the bottom of the door is not completely pierced, it's only an embossing in the movie version.
Digging the foam board was the longest and most delicate part.

Now I have to find a cookie cutter with the right diameter to make the round patterns.

Thanks for looking.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Looks great! I'm really impressed with how you cut out all the foramboard. I would have cheated and added a cardboard layer.

If you can't find a cookie cutter, look or a small piece of metal pipe and hammer it down. Test it out first though as I've never done that before on cardboard.

Fat markers might also work if you have one the right diameter.

Reaction score
That door is freakin awesome! Are you sure you don’t work for ILM lol. Can’t wait to see how you tackle the spikes at the bottom and see it painted.

Reaction score
Thanks Utinniii, bwize, Daigo_Bah

The sliding door part is finished.

Utinniii, we had the same idea for the small piece of metal pipe. It was the best solution I think. I just file the pipe to have a sharp end.
Ah ah bwize ! No, unfortunately I don’t work for ILM. I'm just Freelance illustrator and I passionate by Star Wars universe.

I created and printed the pattern for the spikes on a thick paper.

I cut, folded and glued.

I reinforced inside of the spike with a mixture of polystyrene pieces and wood glue and I reinforced the base with composite wood squares.
The spikes are very solid now.

Everything is glued.

I used dry painting and added small details.

I'll make holes in the ground for the spikes sink inside.
We don't see well in the movie because there is shade under the door. I think the holes haven't been realized because it was too complicated.
Moreover, the spikes are already out of the ground when the scene of the opening of the door begins. Hence my theory.
It would be logical to make holes in the diorama, I Think.

I have to finish the fixed part of the door. It will be easier.

Thanks for looking

Reaction score
Thank you very much yodashizzle !

The fixed parts of the door are painted.

I was wrong. The decorator team had designed holes in the ground. I found my screenshot where we can see clearly the holes. What a detail job, the team was fabulous! I was right to make the hole too.

I decided to used a up/down motorized Lego mechanism to operate the gate.
It's more aesthetic and practical than a crank. It's more interesting to play with too :p
Motor part is fixed to the dio but the switch box is removable to be able to easily change the batteries if necessary.
The rotation speed of the motor can't be adjusted. As a solution, I found a metal rod very thin so that the winding is as slow as possible.
Finally, the gate opens and closes at a good speed.

The paintjob of the principal room is finished. A dark brown for first coat and a warm gray for second coat.
The complete door is installed.
Down !

Up !

My Kenner Rancor Monster is too small.
Dimensions of the diorama are suitable for the Black Series version.
In the movie, the Rancor Monster bends down a little to cross the door.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
That looks fantastic! I'm really amazed (and envious) about how this turned out.
I'm not sure if it is just the flash, but the walls seem a bit bright to me. I know it will will different in person. Perhaps a dark brown or blue wash to reduce the brightness?

I hope you are adding all the skulls and bones. Pose Skeletons are pretty good. They come in 3 sizes. The largest is the best size.

Reaction score
What an ingenious solution to the rancor door. Love the detail and paint job. Those base spikes turned out fantastic and would love to see a video of it in action.

Reaction score
This is like a dream playset basically. Your work is downright beautiful. I absolutely love that it has actual functionality and you really can drop people into the put. ADORE IT. I would love to see a video of it in action. This might be the best diorama piece I've ever seen. Legit! Heck, I'd even be willing to pay bank to contract you to make me one!!! I'd LEGIT actually PLAY with it. =P

Reaction score
What just blew my mind just now is the attention to detail...... you created rock formations identical to the screen shots! Look at the stone placement and details (scratches etc.) in front of the rancor as he enters! WOW!!!! That is incredible work my friend! Incredible!

Reaction score
There are some truly amazing dios on RS...and then there are absolute masterpieces. This is both visually stunning and a genuine engineering feat.

Reaction score
Dear friends,
I come again from a galaxy far, far away... I don't have time for my passion right now. For the moment, my diorama is in the Dagobah swamps.
I hope to find the Force soon to get it out of there.
This new RS forum is good surprise. It's a really progress and a great work. Congratulations to the moderator team for this.
I see that my old pics don't appear when I'm disconnected of the forum. I don't know if it's normal or if it's just a temporary bug.

Utinniiii, bwize, MysterioMaximus, cichlidjedi, darth_stranger, yodashizzle ! Many thanks for your last comments and all your encouragements. For your good advice too. It's really cool to meet people here as passionate as me and see many amazing works, project, ideas...

With this new forum, I think it possible to insert pics GIF or Video more easily than before, no?

Reaction score
FAN FRIGGIN TASTIC! I am speechless. The lighting really sets the mood. I always wanted to attempt a build like this but never had the room. I am speechless and inspired. Keep up the great work. :)