Jabba's Palace Diorama

Utinniii

Reaction score
Wanna play a game? In each pic there will be at least item you will want to add to your diorama (if you haven't already!)
1]

2 & 3]

4]

5]

6]

7]

8]

Answers

1] 2 pots and an incense burner. Notice the small table is on the other side. BTW, I think the table in the back has a big hole in it (same as all the other tables). The tray in the middle of it is cone shaped and you can see the bottom poking through.

2-3] Same stand but second pic has better details!
3] Also has a stand with a gourd on it in the back.
4] Support racking around light/vent in ceiling
5] 3-tier table, and a spitoon near Bg-s feet. The Special Edition also has different pots there.
6] 2 pots (one is the same as #3
7] Pot of fruit. There is also a woman on the dais (not Jes). I have a better pic of her if you want to make her.
8] New pot on throne. The bowl comes out and there is a wine jug (same as on table under Jerba head)

Reaction score
A very cool game Untinniii !!! Thanks a lot.
I'd spotted and already made some objects with my photos. But your archive photos, which I had never seen, allow me to better see the shape of other objects.
I'd seen and I've made the big hole with the cone in the table in the back. We see it a bit on a last of the pictures I posted.
You are a perfect observer and I thank you again for your help Untinniii.

Wanna play a game? In each pic there will be at least item you will want to add to your diorama (if you haven't already!)
1]

2 & 3]

4]

5]

6]

7]

8]

Answers

1] 2 pots and an incense burner. Notice the small table is on the other side. BTW, I think the table in the back has a big hole in it (same as all the other tables). The tray in the middle of it is cone shaped and you can see the bottom poking through.

2-3] Same stand but second pic has better details!
3] Also has a stand with a gourd on it in the back.
4] Support racking around light/vent in ceiling
5] 3-tier table, and a spitoon near Bg-s feet. The Special Edition also has different pots there.
6] 2 pots (one is the same as #3
7] Pot of fruit. There is also a woman on the dais (not Jes). I have a better pic of her if you want to make her.
8] New pot on throne. The bowl comes out and there is a wine jug (same as on table under Jerba head)

Reaction score
A couple of customizing ideas to share:

The fruit bowl in 7 is easily constructed. Search eBay for "dollhouse urn"; you should find a miniature that, once the base is sawed off, a few beads can be added for legs.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t655/jaeger451/658172DD-CA7B-4167-B0FF-B473A08B1788_zpsatvw5ciq.jpg

A passable version of the fruit stand in 8 can also be easily constructed. Search eBay for "dollhouse globe". The globe itself can be removed, and a small plastic bowl added.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t655/jaeger451/8B4D0CD3-93BD-471F-B27E-A9032A5680EC_zpsqrbvb34z.png

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you very much Jaeger45 for these very good ideas!!!
The barbecue and customs on photobucket are terrible! Is it your work? Why this great work is not present on this forum?

A couple of customizing ideas to share:

The fruit bowl in 7 is easily constructed. Search eBay for "dollhouse urn"; you should find a miniature that, once the base is sawed off, a few beads can be added for legs.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t655/jaeger451/658172DD-CA7B-4167-B0FF-B473A08B1788_zpsatvw5ciq.jpg

A passable version of the fruit stand in 8 can also be easily constructed. Search eBay for "dollhouse globe". The globe itself can be removed, and a small plastic bowl added.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t655/jaeger451/8B4D0CD3-93BD-471F-B27E-A9032A5680EC_zpsqrbvb34z.png

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Thank you very much Jaeger45 for these very good ideas!!!
The barbecue and customs on photobucket are terrible! Is it your work? Why this great work is not present on this forum?
Thanks! The barbecue was only slightly modified from a limited run by a small company called Figureworks. They do awesome work! While I lurk frequently, and post occasionally, here, I've been posting most of my customs over on Imperial Shipyards. Big thanks for inspiration from Stan, jabbaspalacespy, and others both here on Rebelscum and on the Shipyards.

Reaction score
Carbonite Room - WIP

I tried to work this room as realistically as possible.
The "official" plan of the Palace that is found on the web has errors in several proportions as Carbonite room for example. I recalculated all with the different perspectives in the pictures I own.
The most important thing was to find the right general proportions so that the lights and shadows of the top grids to be oriented as in the movie.
Distance and angle of the lighting were also decisive.

well done, this is incredible work. I love how you have got the light just right.

Reaction score
Thank you for the information Jaeger45.
Thanks for your comment Idpullthecurtain.

Reaction score
Curtains in Jabba couch are finished. I created an opening / closing mechanism with LEGO.

On video : [video]http://vid1356.photobucket.com/albums/q740/jess3333/CURTAINS_zpsjrlorx6v.mp4[/video]

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awesome work here! I agree though: Details pay off...no matter how long it lasts! They really do....it brings the thing to life! Lego?? Hahaha....funny...used it myself for a landing mechanism on khetanna! Great idea on the curtains :)Looking forward to see more! Good job so far.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awesome work here! I agree though: Details pay off...no matter how long it lasts! They really do....it brings the thing to life! Lego?? Hahaha....funny...used it myself for a landing mechanism on khetanna! Great idea on the curtains :)Looking forward to see more! Good job so far.
Thank you very much Wbobafett. LEGO... yes, It's another of my passions...and so practical. Maybe for you too? Especially when I see the perfect mechanisms on your great khetanna :).
Maybe, I'll add a last mechanism to my diorama : To advance / retreat the Jabba's throne.
A LEGO mechanism of course ! :awesome:

Reaction score
What is the object at the very left/bottom, across from Oola/right in front of Jabba? It looks like some kind of creature? I see teeth and red lips. I've poured over pretty much every picture from Jabba's palace making my diorama, or so I thought. I've never noticed that, anyone know what that is?

Last edited:
Reaction score
What is the object at the very left/bottom, across from Oola/right in front of Jabba? It looks like some kind of creature? I see teeth and red lips. I've poured over pretty much every picture from Jabba's palace making my diorama, or so I thought. I've never noticed that, anyone know what that is?
It's just one of the gargoyles on the side of throne in foreground Ashy_Larry :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's just one of the gargoyles on the side of throne in foreground Ashy_Larry :)

Initially I though that, but i looked to large to be that. I thought it was in the background. But yeah, you're right, it's in the foreground, thanks. i never noticed the details, looks the skin is spotted, and it's eating something. thanks for clearing that huge mystery up for me. lol

Reaction score
Initially I though that, but i looked to large to be that. I thought it was in the background. But yeah, you're right, it's in the foreground, thanks. i never noticed the details, looks the skin is spotted, and it's eating something. thanks for clearing that huge mystery up for me. lol
Yes. The detail of these gargoyles is the example of the immense work of the decorators at the time. A detail that appears less than a second, like many others... :sneaky:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Far far away the best "Jabba's Palace' diorama to me.Awesome job Jess!!!
Really thank you ackbarium!!!
When can I see a next "Ralph McQuarrie's concept work" mini diorama?
Because I love it! :)

Some different glasses made with heated, deformed and painted flexible plastic tube.

Reaction score
Awesome! Need some glasses too soon :). Have you seen the pics with the Christmas lamps used? I'll have a look finding those

Reaction score
Awesome! Need some glasses too soon :). Have you seen the pics with the Christmas lamps used? I'll have a look finding those
Wbobafett, I didn't use Christmas lamps.

This week, during a medical check at the hospital, the nurse gave me an intravenous infusion. My brain sounded "bling!" seeing the transparent pipe. The diameter was perfect for the glasses of my diorama!!! ( 0,16"/4mm the outer diameter of pipe like those of the figurines of Cantina Hasbro)
When I woke up, the nurse gave me a little piece of pipe and I could make my glasses at home.

I give you my recipe for making the glass:

1- Cut the pipe to the desired size.
2- Place a hexagonal screwdriver (or other pattern) inside the tube, a screwdriver just at the upper diameter (see pic in previous post).
3- I heat 10 seconds with the hair dryer and I press delicately with a clamp tool on the head of the screwdriver to create the hexagonal imprint.

The pipe is expanded and facets are made at the same time.
It just remains to paint.

The glasses just laid for the decoration are painted inside only.
For the glasses that will be held by action figure, I placed electric wire wrapped painted or not. Thus, the glass doesn't deform with the pressure of the hand of the figure.

I hope my tutorial is clear and forgive me please for my really bad English.

I got your back, Jack!
Funny. I was thinking of posting these here as soon as I saw Jess' pic.

If you look online, someone has made Star Wars themed labels (Like Qui-Gon GIN)
Many thanks Utinniii for these good pics. These glasses are so cool!!! That looks sick! ( Thx Utinniii for the expression correction :sneaky:) Some very good ideas.

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
Wbobafett, I didn't use Christmas lamps.

The glasses just laid out for decoration are painted inside only.
For the glasses that will be held by action figures, I placed (painted) electric wire inside. Thus, the glass doesn't deform with the pressure of the hand of the figure.

Many thanks Utinniii for these good pics. These glasses are terrible!!! Some very good ideas.
I think WBFett was referring to to the pics I posted. I showed him when he was making his bar.

I hope you are feeling better, and it wasn't serious.

Your tutorial was good. I might try it one day. I like to try new things. Casting is another good way if you want accurate glasses.

Reaction score
Thanks Utinniii for these precisions and this new good pic. True, there many ways to make the same thing. Plastic pipe was not expensive and I don't have these great doll house accessories at home. I think it's a better idea that mine.

Thanks too, I feel very good. It was just a 40 plus health check :)

I think WBFett was referring to to the pics I posted. I showed him when he was making his bar.

I hope you are feeling better, and it wasn't serious.

Your tutorial was good. I might try it one day. I like to try new things. Casting is another good way if you want accurate glasses.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've designed the extended project.
I bought a desk that I'll modify.

My sketch shows the final size of the pit as I think it is.
Thank you for your comments and your advice.

Thank you for looking.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I finished customization of the desk. It's removable in two parts.

I made holes for the floor grates, the floor hatch and the passage for the up/down Rancor door.

Now, I begin to sculpt the Rancor pit rock made with styrofoam.

I hope you Like it

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you very much Montross for your nice words.

Thank you Utinniii. I like this pic too. You shared me this pic a few weeks ago and I use it a lot for my work :)
The height of this real movie set is truly impressive!

For making the pit, my difficulty is to combine the two movie sets that were made and which appear in different scenes : the full size set and the miniature diorama set (on the pic bellow). The two sets are really different.

So, I hope this will give a good final result.

Thanks Idpullthecurtain. You are right. It was my dream too with Kenner... and Hasbro will not make it.
So I try to realize this dream myself. An adult is just a little older child :)

Reaction score
For the drop down gate. On several dios, (including mine) The figures have a hard time standing due to the holes in the grate.

But a clear piece of clear plastic place underneath (from any of the toy packages) can help support the standing figure, especially if you plan to drop the gate on a regular basis.

Greta job so far.

Utinniii

Reaction score
It is always hard to decide which reference to use when making a diorama, especially if there are different sets for it. I wind up just picking the one I like the best.

I know you've seen that photo! I put it here because I know people will be using your thread as a template when they make their own diorama!!

I was making my rocks out of styrofoam but I like your idea of using foam insulation. I was using a heat knife to cut it. My main problem is my dog loves to eat the foam so I don't want to poison her.

You need more of a ramp under the trapdoor exit, but you probably know that.

Last edited: