Jabba the Hutt Dinner Theater . . . ?

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong section, but I didn't see a thread or forum for books and printed material.

Okay, here's a deep-cut question, and I figure if ANY bunch of people online would know the answer, chances are pretty good they'd be in these forums.

Before The Dark Times . . . before Disney . . . does anyone recall anything about a passing mention, either in an Expanded Universe novel or one of the Essential Guides or one of the Encyclopædias or something, about some in-universe entrepreneurs who tried to set up a Jabba the Hutt-themed dinner theater on some backwater planet to re-enact the Rebel infiltration of Jabba's Palace and the Carkoon battle with a bunch of actors and stuntpeople? I seem to remember them mentioning the actor playing Bib Fortuna was okay, but the Wookiee playing Chewbacca was too short. Or something like that.

I haven't been able to find anything about it online, and all my reference books are currently 4,000 miles away, but I'm POSITIVE I read something about it somewhere!

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds interesting - what decade are you thinking this happened in?

Best I can come up with is you're remembering a story from Tales from Jabba's Palace and the Mos Eisley cantina-inspired bar that opened in Japan sometime in the late 90s. If these ring a bell then you might be suffering from the Mandela Effect.

Reaction score
I think you need to lay off the crack-pipe, Beedo! ;)

This seemed completely made-up until you shared the details about Chewie and Bib. Was this in one of the Star Wars Tales comics from Dark Horse?

Reaction score
I'll move this to the book section :)
Thank 'e, GNT! I missed it in my perusal of the sections!

Sounds interesting - what decade are you thinking this happened in?

Best I can come up with is you're remembering a story from Tales from Jabba's Palace and the Mos Eisley cantina-inspired bar that opened in Japan sometime in the late 90s. If these ring a bell then you might be suffering from the Mandela Effect.
I believe this was in the 1990s, during the glut of EU stuff that was being pumped out. I'm pretty sure it's not from TFJB, because I still have that book somewhere and used to read it a lot, so I know the stories pretty darned well, and I'd like to think I'd remember it better, if that were the case. Never heard of the bar in Japan. And as for the "Mandela Effect," I put that down to people whose memories aren't as good as they think, and refuse to admit they might be wrong about something. ;) I'm pretty sure I remember reading about it as a small passage in either an Encyclopædia or an early Essential Guide (maybe the first Planets?), because I don't remember reading about it as part of an actual novel. It was more of a very brief summary. Having said all that, I'm one of the first to admit that my memory isn't stellar. I'm willing to accept I'm mistaken if shown proof, rather than blame it on some shadowy division of the Military-Industrial Complex shunting my consciousness into a parallel dimension to keep me confused so I don't constitute a threat to their insidious plans. ;)

I think you need to lay off the crack-pipe, Beedo! ;)

This seemed completely made-up until you shared the details about Chewie and Bib. Was this in one of the Star Wars Tales comics from Dark Horse?
HA! Y'know, I honestly don't know, Nibcrom. I kind of lost track of the "Star Wars Tales" comics after Dark Horse revamped the format away from standalone short stories or micro-series. All I remember about it is reading a blurb somewhere that was a brief summary of not many more words than I used to explain in the thread opener. (If even that!) I thought maybe there were some details of what planet it was on or who the investors / entrepreneurs were, but I've had no success in tracking anything down online. Especially since Wookieepedia seems too eager to toe the Disney line and not venture into the EU as deeply as it deserves. Not that I'm bitter. ;)

Ah, well, I'll keep looking. Maybe when I'm reunited with my reference books, I'll be able to find the answer. Thanks anyway, folks!

Reaction score
UPDATE!

HA! Found it! On an off-chance, I looked up "The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons," found a Wookieepedia link about the book which had further links to all the worlds mentioned in it, and started browsing through them all. Happily, the answer came up at the end of the As, and I didn't have to look for too long!

It's Atzerri! https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Atzerri/Legends

HUZZAH!