J.J. Abram's Superman Movie

Reaction score
"It's finally time. A Superman Reboot movie is reportedly in the works. Shadow and Act is reporting that author Ta-Nehisi Coates has been hired to write a new Superman feature for Warner Bros. and DC. J. J. Abrams will be producing under his Bad Robot banner alongside Hannah Minghella. No director has yet been attached and plot details are firmly under wraps.

There is also talk of the reboot introducing the first Black Superman. After the news broke, The Hollywood Reporter journalist Borys Kit tweeted, "Will audiences be introduced to a Black Superman? That is the intent and something that the studio has been trying to find a way in for months if not a year or two, according to sources." This hasn't yet been officially confirmed, but the filmmakers released a joint statement to Shadow and Act about the project.

"To be invited into the DC Extended Universe by Warner Bros., DC Films and Bad Robot is an honor," said Ta-Nehisi Coates. "I look forward to meaningfully adding to the legacy of America's most iconic mythic hero."

In the statement, J.J. Abrams also said, "There is a new, powerful and moving Superman story yet to be told. We couldn't be more thrilled to be working with the brilliant Mr. Coates to help bring that story to the big screen, and we're beyond thankful to the team at Warner Bros. for the opportunity."

"Ta-Nehisi Coates's Between the World and Me opened a window and changed the way many of us see the world," added Toby Emmerich, Chairman, Warner Bros. Pictures Group. "We're confident that his take on Superman will give fans a new and exciting way to see the Man of Steel."

Reportedly, the search for the new Kal-El/Superman hasn't even started as of yet, so it's unclear who will be playing the next Clark Kent on the big screen. This also suggests that the reboot will reimagine Superman with a new actor in the role, rather than bringing back Man of Steel and Justice League star Henry Cavill. With the future of Superman on the big screen shrouded in mystery for years, there had been conflicting reports as to whether Cavill was truly finished with playing the role.

After he was portrayed by George Reeves in the 1950s, Kal-El was famously played by Christopher Reeve in a series of Superman movies in the 70s and 80s. Brandon Routh stepped into the red and blue tights for the 2006 reboot Superman Returns, later reprising the role for the television crossover event Crisis on Infinite Earths. Cavill debuted as Superman in 2013's Man of Steel, and after appearing in multiple crossover movies, he can be seen in the part once again when Zack Snyder's Justice League hits HBO Max in March. It appears that Man of Steel 2 may not be happening despite constant rumors.

Meanwhile, another take on the superhero is portrayed by Tyler Hoechlin in The CW's new series Superman & Lois. Co-starring Elizabeth Tulloch as Lois Lane, the series is a part of the Arrowverse with Hoechlin previously appearing in the role in Supergirl. Superman fans have been rather impressed with Hoechlin's performance and the show's way of handling the character, which includes a return to the more traditional suit. The two-hour series premiere was widely praised and anyone who missed the pilot can watch it for free at The CW's official website.

There's no word yet on when the new Superman reboot feature will begin shooting or when it can be expected to be released. This news comes to us from Shadow and Act. "

- discuss-

GNT

Reaction score
I didn’t mind Cavill but they truely failed to focus on a trilogy for him except the joint movies.

A fresh take might be the way to go in getting Superman back on the big screen. a version not connected to the past failures of WB.

Reaction score
Maybe instead of trying to reinvent the wheel and using some kind of obvious different take on it to seem new and fresh, you simply make a decent/ good movie about the character. And why does he have to be black, he could just as easily look Indian, Egyptian, Asian etc. And considering that Kal El is from a totally different Planet it even stands to reason that he's not even a Human like being. And if you're going to be an Alien on Earth posing as a Human isn't that exactly what Jon Jones does, so why not just make that Movie? I still don't get why they always resort to swapping when there many other characters of a different race exist. You also have John Stewart who they could make a movie about, and one I've been wanting for a long time!

I think the story itself of Kal El trying to fit in as an outsider is pretty poignant already, and adding an additional element would take on a totally different vibe for the character thus that aspect getting totally lost. Because now we aren't seeing a non Earthing trying to fit in by hiding who he really is, to making it more about him being ostracized about his skin color. Then also comes the part where does he crash land, still on farm or who raises him? Does he grow up in a mixed race environment which might also add even more depth to the character.

Maybe it is the right way to go or maybe it isn't, it could certainly be a totally different take by being a beacon of hope to the Black community by having such a hero to look up to and by the whole world. If they're making a good movie and a compelling story then okay, if it's just to it for the other reason then I say think again. Superman is already a complex and complicated character to write for and they still haven't been able to get it right, so this is why I feel adding that particular spin on it could seriously backfire and totally change what the Superman character is really about.

Reaction score
either way it's JJ abrams. his Star Trek reboot was entirely forgettable. his Star Wars reboot was entirely forgettable. I still haven't seen the end of "LOST" and I still don't care.

no matter what he does with this... (black superman; white superman; purple alien superman) ...it doesn't really matter -- either way this will be entirely forgettable. and in 10 years time, nobody will even remember it.. and they'll be rebooting Superman all over again.

(in a way, it's a shame they picked JJ to reboot Trek; now Trek just needs another reboot -- like it never happened).

Reaction score
All of his movies are terrible. Someone should tell him. This one will fare no better. How much they make means nothing to me. People bought millions of Madonna records and Cd's as well and now they fill trash piles all over the World......... 🤖

GNT

Reaction score
To be fair Madonna is still pretty popular and regardless there's millions of CDs in trash heaps anyways because it's such an outdated media but I do agree his movies are terrible :p

Reaction score
  Spoiler:  
Kal-El died in the plane crash.

The big mysteries are NEVER solved or re-addressed.

Reaction score
JJ is like a contractor who does, whatever his customers want, even if it doesn't make any sense. his customers being: the studios and/or "property holders" in the image posted above. he doesn't make his movies for any specific audience -- he makes movies for his corporate overlords, in exchange for dumptrucks full of money LOL. he doesn't actually CARE how his movies turn out, (unlike a guy like Snyder for example), he's NOT going to dig in his heels and defend his "vision" against the corporate hacks who sign his paychecks... quite the contrary.. with JJ in charge... these "corporate hacks" might as well just be making the movies themselves. the studios always get what they want from JJ (and therein lie the problem). he's not really an "artist" per se, he's just an independent contractor. he's not Picasso, he's the guy who paints the walls in your living room.... he'll paint it however YOU want it (and rightly so) -- even if you want that horrible 90's "sponge wall" technique (which will definitely need to be repainted again in 5 years when the fashion changes) -- like ANY good contractor, he does EXACTLY what the customer wants -- (and like ANY good contractor, he doesn't question the homeowner's "artistic choices", as long as he gets his paycheck).

in a way, you can't even blame him for what happened to star trek... or star wars.... you can only blame the "corporate hacks" who told him exactly what to do (people like Kathleen Kennedy) -- THEY destroyed their OWN franchises (not JJ).

all JJ did, was exactly what they wanted. LOL (he did exactly what he was hired to do).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have said it before that JJ ruined Star Trek & Star Wars for a generation of Movie Goers, now he is turning his attention to Superman, please god no. I don’t know if ‘The Man of Steel’ could survive yet another bad Movie, Superman 4: The Quest for Peace, Superman Returns, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice & Justice League. Just so you know the only reason that included the last two Movies in this list is because these two Movies were rushed into production. WB shouldn’t have made a second Man Of Steel Movie with Henry Cavill & a Batman Movie with Ben Affleck before doing Batman v Superman, but WB has been waiting, wanting to do that Movie since the 1990s, since before the failed Tim Burton/Nick Cage’s Superman project.

JJ better be careful because unlike the other franchises that he has messed up, Superman has a curse that is connected to it, he might be the next victim.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I doubt very much he'll be the victim, he might suffer a bit with future gigs if he does ruin Superman but who cares he'll be a rich MFer!
Behind the scenes bad Robot has signed very lucrative licensing deals for the previous two Franchises he ruined, so he's still making Money after the fact.

Also I feel the Superman Returns get a bad rap, while not a great movie it certainly wasn't Superman 4 or BvS. It had its moments that simply outweighed the good ones. lol

One thing that really bothers me is the fact I've waited so long to see all these characters together in a live action movie and it winds up as bad as the Corman Fantastic Four, or really any of his attempts at Superheroes. I mean we finally get to the golden age of Comic Book movies on the big screen and have to be let down so badly. Plus we didn't even get an accurate representation of the JL with a few characters MIA that should have been there.

Meanwhile they seem to "get it" over at Marvel, which is why it really pains me that DC isn't quite working. And now it seems like we'll never see Shazam(Levi), WW(Gadot), Superman(Cavill), GL(???), Batman(Affleck) Aquaman(Momoa), Hawk People, Martian Manhunter etc. all show up together on screen.

I do look forward to Black Adam though that one looks really interesting from what's been revealed, and then they just announced movement on Blue Beetle movie that sound equally as interesting.

I know it wasn't a possibility back then but man to of had Keaton and Reeves in a JL movie would have been my ultimate dream come true for DC.

Reaction score
I don’t think ‘The Curse’ care if JJ is still making money from Star Trek & Star Wars. ‘The Curse’ only effect Superman & the people that bring him to our TV’s screens or our local Cinema, they have been many victims of the ‘The Curse’ including George Reeves & Christopher Reeve.

I remember a friend of mine saying that ‘The Curse’ was to blamed for tragedy that befell Zack Snyder during post-production work on Justice League & the downfall of Bryan Singer & Allison Mack. He also said ‘The Curse’ could explains why Nick Cage’s career has slowly gone downhill since the failed Superman project & naming his son, Kal-El.

I think DC/WB could learn a lot not only from Marvel, but also the many Animated Movies plus Live Action & Animated TV Shows that they themselves have brought us over the last 20 to 30 years, quite a few of them have had some sort of Justice League/Society in them. It always seemed to me that DC/WB wanted to rule TV land & has done so since the 1950s, the Movie projects were secondly unless a visionary director is heading the project.

JJ’s visions for Star Trek & Star Wars have cause great division in both fan bases, if he treats Superman in the same manner, ‘The Curse’ will take notice of him or the cast that he picks to star in the movie.

I don’t think that Christopher Reeve was ever in running for Superman in the 1990s because he was semi-retired, I think Tim Burton was the driving force his project, he wanted Nick Cage to be ‘The Man of Steel’ & one day join Michael Keaton in the battle of the Titans/Founding Fathers of Superheroes Comics.

Reaction score
Can’t wait to argue for hours about the mystery of who really blew up Krypton!

They never address it again.

Reaction score
I don’t think that Christopher Reeve was ever in running for Superman in the 1990s because he was semi-retired, I think Tim Burton was the driving force his project, he wanted Nick Cage to be ‘The Man of Steel’ & one day join Michael Keaton in the battle of the Titans/Founding Fathers of Superheroes Comics.
No. Reeve was not "semi-retired" in the '90s. Between 1990 and 1998, he appeared in five theatrical films and 10 TV/Cable movies. He also directed an HBO movie during that time. A few of these projects, including the one he directed, were made after he was paralyzed. Hardly "semi-retired."

Reaction score
Watched MoS for the first time last night...probably a 5.5/10 imo. Mainly watching that and BvS for the synder cut JL.

Ta-Nehisi Coates...superman is gonna be black I guarantee it. I have no interest in a black superman(I think green lantern should be black, mainly cause that cartoon back in the early 00s).

Not gonna watch it, not because he'll be black but because the writer is a racist(rabid, twitter SJW communist). No thanks.