It's time to talk guests ( Part 2 )

Reaction score
Re: Odd thought

leia214 said:
I'm just going to say it - I'll probably get flamed for whining - but I am very disappointed in the GOH lineup for this event.

I have been holding out for someone who I haven't seen at an event before like Mark Hamill or James Earl Jones. I have gotten autographs of almost every one else appearing before through the years.

Oh well.
I totally agree, not as an impressive of a list as one would hope for the 30th anniversary. I think most of us thought since the show was in LA that we would get a few major players to come out, but that appears to not have mattered much. I really was hoping for Mark Hamill to show up but I can understand why he wouldnt if that ends up being the case. He can do his thing anywhere at any time and rake in the cash if he so chooses, and with alot less hassle. With 30,000+ fans clamoring for your autograph and the chance to tell you how they named their children after him and who knows what else Im sure its not exactly something he'd want to sit through for an extended period of time.

Jovial_Jay

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

wvstarwarsfan said:
The way I look at it, and I dont want to sound bitter, but Gencon and OPX has been working almost 2 years to pull this off. There isnt a single one of the pending GOH that couldnt work around 1 single weekend for their legions of fans that made them household names. Thats pathetic.
I'm sure they have better things to do with their Memorial day weekend.

Reaction score

I don't think Hamill would be bothered about attending as i don't see him being the type of person who would shuffle work around in order to attend.

In that case i think it's Samual L Jackson or Hayden Christensen

Reaction score

Ive a sumwhat mixed feeling about the GOH lineup and the whole guestlist. Sure theres a few interesting names but theres a little too many regulars there that we've seen 100 times before, even at CIII. Sure the Ewoks 'cater for everybody' but where are the rare signers that have never signed in US before and only started a year ago or so? I dont doubt Official Pix for their effort at all, I understand its difficult trying to appease many tastes and booking busy actors but deep down you only have to look at the guestlist and be slightly disappointed.

Jake Lloyd a GOH? Clone Wars voices? £15 to get into a Carrie Fisher Q&A?? Come on guys.

Reaction score

I'll have to agree with some of the before mentioned sentiments. I find the final list less than stellar. I'm sure OPX tried their best.

Reaction score

CaptainCargo said:
I'll have to agree with some of the before mentioned sentiments. I find the final list less than stellar. I'm sure OPX tried their best.
And I definitely don't blame OPX. I volunteer for them and it is a first class organization. I know the problem lies with the actors not willing to participate.

I will still enjoy the convention though. Can't wait to meet so many of my online friends!

Reaction score

Since I just noticed it is down to one POSSIBLE guest of honor that may be last minute and 1 day, does anyone know how this would be controlled/organized/arranged? Just wondering if those that had at least bought in advance for others would be given a chance or I don't know.

Reaction score

Todd_of_the_Sith said:
Just wondering if those that had at least bought in advance for others would be given a chance or I don't know.
I have to say that it would be TEH Suck if that were the case - some of us are on a very limited budget and were counting our pennies as it is.

Reaction score

I share the sentiments of most others here - I appreciate OP's hard work, and I like the fact that there are a lot of new bit-part players on the guest list, but I'm still completely underwhelmed by the lack of big-name stars.

I sure hope everyone is right about the L.A. location improving fan attendance, cause it sure did nothing to bring out the stars.

Reaction score

Even tho I have Carrie's autograph I've never met her or Anthony Daniels in person so this will be H-U-G-E for me. I am sad that Mark Hamill can't attend (according to this thread) but you never know...we may still have a surprise coming! Let's stay positive and not beat up the celebrities people. Plus, think about how great the attending celebrities are. When I sat with Simon Williamson he was amazing with the fans...he chatted with everyone, he was polite, and he was genuine. Even when he got some really bizzare questions from SW fans, he tried to answer them the best he could (do you really work for Jabba for food? from a 20-something year old none the less!) He told me his fear was just that he wouldn't know the answer and disappoint a fan. How cool is that? Even if we have these people's autographs already, it's sort of like seeing old friends. Maybe those of you who are disappointed can look at it that way??

Reaction score

DarthDaner said:
Even tho I have Carrie's autograph I've never met her or Anthony Daniels in person so this will be H-U-G-E for me. I am sad that Mark Hamill can't attend (according to this thread) but you never know...we may still have a surprise coming! Let's stay positive and not beat up the celebrities people. Plus, think about how great the attending celebrities are. When I sat with Simon Williamson he was amazing with the fans...he chatted with everyone, he was polite, and he was genuine. Even when he got some really bizzare questions from SW fans, he tried to answer them the best he could (do you really work for Jabba for food? from a 20-something year old none the less!) He told me his fear was just that he wouldn't know the answer and disappoint a fan. How cool is that? Even if we have these people's autographs already, it's sort of like seeing old friends. Maybe those of you who are disappointed can look at it that way??
Oh yes I agree that meeting them is great, especially in a Q&A capacity even if you dont intend to buy an autograph. Its amazing how some of them can remember our names aswell considering the 100s of autos theyve done. Just wanted a bit more variety, most of the list is repeat offenders and there are certainly a few fillers in there, without intentionally trying to be unkind.
I just dont see how some actors are put off by going to LA, are they holding out for CE? It'll be interesting to find out how many were actually invited.

Reaction score

I was thinking the same thing, SteveSith. It will be very interesting to compare the list of OPX guests from CIV and CE. We might be in for a few surprises when comparing names.

Reaction score

Well apparently they are annoucing a Guest of Honour next week for CE. Apparently it's either Hayden christensen, Ian McDiarmid or Christopher Lee

I'm not sure it's like that guests don't want to go to C4 because they find CE a better propersition unless we are talking someone like Mark Hamill. For him CE may be better as altohugh the travel is longer he could earn more money per autograph in 3 days signing than he would 5 days signing at C4 simply becuase of the exchnage rate.

I'm not going to C4 but i wish i was. There is a great guest list there overall. And their autograph prices compared to the UK prices make it look like a steal

Reaction score

I wonder how many people are attending CIV for the first time. I am, and I think those like me are very excited to meet these people for the first time. I've been able to meet a couple before, but I'm still so excited to meet the rest. But I can understand if you've been to one or more Celebrations, the list is probably redundant. But, there's only so many celebs who aren't annoyed by the whole Star Wars culture. We certainly wouldn't want cranky stars there just for the cash. I personally would find that a huge waste of money.

Reaction score

Jediofgrace said:
But, there's only so many celebs who aren't annoyed by the whole Star Wars culture. We certainly wouldn't want cranky stars there just for the cash. I personally would find that a huge waste of money.
Well prepare to waste some money then.

This is my second Celebration, and I (and many others) have found a few SW celebrities particulary cranky. Your mileage may vary. But guess who I won't be visiting a second time this go round!

Reaction score

kolawan said:
Jediofgrace said:
But, there's only so many celebs who aren't annoyed by the whole Star Wars culture. We certainly wouldn't want cranky stars there just for the cash. I personally would find that a huge waste of money.

This is my second Celebration, and I (and many others) have found a few SW celebrities particulary cranky. Your mileage may vary. But guess who I won't be visiting a second time this go round!
I guess its all timing, or just luck... but after going to both c2 and c3, and many other conventions, I have found that most celebs are surprisingly nice and are eager to chat. Believe it or not, even after hearing many horror stories about carry fisher at c2, I found her to be fairly pleasant...

Reaction score

kolawan said:
Jediofgrace said:

And who would that be? Are we alowed to mention names!! I only had a problem with Billy Dee and Kenny Baker but how can you tell guys like that to remember basic manners?
I do agree that most of the PT actors are fun, probably because for most of them a signing isnt their main income and a lot are Star Wars fans too. Some seem to have problems with Prowse but although hes at every signing worldwide I found him to be pleasant on the 105 times Ive met him.

Reaction score

Why am I not suprise d to hear another big name has backed out WOW! All this list needed was one big name. Hell if Mcdirmand would have shown it would have been perfect. Now no MC dirmand, prob no Hammil and more than likely comotose Dee Williams(if you got his autograph at C3 you know what I mean).
The guest list as far Im concered blows C3 out of the water.Its almost comeplete but it feels like it needs one more big name to make it so. Mcdirmand or Hammil or another would have been nice.

But now L.A. isn't necessary to be the place to have any more Celebrations since all the actors that live there wont necessarily show up. THey `cant use the "Oh if it were n L.A. excuse any more"Very disappointed in Mcdirmand and extrememly dissapoionted in Hammil.

As for CE if they get Hayden fine. But if christophere Lee etc. or some extremy rare signer shows up your going to have a lot and I mean a lot of pissed of SW fans.

Reaction score

Ian McDiarmid, at least, has a good enough reason to not be at C4...he lives and works in London. Now, as for Celebration Europe, I'm pretty sure even he could fit that into his schedule.

Reaction score

yodaman1234 said:
Why am I not suprise d to hear another big name has backed out WOW! All this list needed was one big name. Hell if Mcdirmand would have shown it would have been perfect. Now no MC dirmand, prob no Hammil and more than likely comotose Dee Williams(if you got his autograph at C3 you know what I mean).
The guest list as far Im concered blows C3 out of the water.Its almost comeplete but it feels like it needs one more big name to make it so. Mcdirmand or Hammil or another would have been nice.

But now L.A. isn't necessary to be the place to have any more Celebrations since all the actors that live there wont necessarily show up. THey `cant use the "Oh if it were n L.A. excuse any more"Very disappointed in Mcdirmand and extrememly dissapoionted in Hammil.

As for CE if they get Hayden fine. But if christophere Lee etc. or some extremy rare signer shows up your going to have a lot and I mean a lot of pissed of SW fans.
I could not have put this better. Having another celebration in L.A. would be a joke. I for one will be pissed if CE has big names and we here in the U.S. get shafted. I'm really disappointed with the big name guest for C4.

Reaction score

Yep I agree with the last few sentiments and its been rumored for the past few days that CE will announce their big GOH in the next week or so. When that happens there is definitely going to be a major group of pissed off fans.
The clock is ticking.

Reaction score

jediyoda7 said:
Having another celebration in L.A. would be a joke.
I couldn't disagree more. After having three celebrations in a row in the Midwest, finally having one on the West coast is completely reasonable. LucasFilm and ILM are both west coast based. I can see having one on the East coast at some point to keep it fair to everyone.

It's a matter of equal access for eveyone not just for those in the Midwest.

Reaction score

CaptainCargo said:
kolawan said:
Jediofgrace said:

I guess its all timing, or just luck... but after going to both c2 and c3, and many other conventions, I have found that most celebs are surprisingly nice and are eager to chat. Believe it or not, even after hearing many horror stories about carry fisher at c2, I found her to be fairly pleasant...
I know many people say some star wars celebrities can have a bad demenor sometimes but has anyone EVER seen Ray Park being a jerk? I've never heard from anyone or seen him in person not being just amazingly friendly.

Reaction score

Shadow said:
jediyoda7 said:
I couldn't disagree more. After having three celebrations in a row in the Midwest, finally having one on the West coast is completely reasonable. LucasFilm and ILM are both west coast based. I can see having one on the East coast at some point to keep it fair to everyone.

Well the midwest is pretty much the center of the country so it IS the most equal distance from everywhere. In the case of this celebration its ALL the way across the country instead of half way across the country. I wouldn't call that equal access except for the people on the west coast.

Reaction score

Shadow wrote: </font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
After having three celebrations in a row in the Midwest,

[/QUOTE] To be quite technical about it, the first Celebration was in Denver. Denver is not in the Midwest.

Reaction score

Enchurito said:
Well the midwest is pretty much the center of the country so it IS the most equal distance from everywhere. In the case of this celebration its ALL the way across the country instead of half way across the country. I wouldn't call that equal access except for the people on the west coast.
And that is the point I'm making, equal access for those of us on the west coast after having it in the Midwest for three consecutive times. Move it around to give everyone a break on the traveling. I wouldn't have bothered posting on this if it weren't for all of the negative posts about moving the location to give the rest of us a break also. Share and share alike, at some point host it on the east coast as well.

MARTI said:
Shadow wrote: </font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
After having three celebrations in a row in the Midwest,
To be quite technical about it, the first Celebration was in Denver. Denver is not in the Midwest.

[/QUOTE]

East of the Rockies counts as the Mid-West for those of us on the West coast.

But seriously, having it in Indianapolis is not in the center of the country, that's two thirds of the way east on the continent. Very convenient for the East-Coast and Mid-West, 2/3 farther for those of us from the West Coast.

Reaction score

DarthRavenger said:
Yep I agree with the last few sentiments and its been rumored for the past few days that CE will announce their big GOH in the next week or so. When that happens there is definitely going to be a major group of pissed off fans.
The clock is ticking.
I said ages ago that CE was more likely to have a better guestlist and so far it looks like i've been proven right and I didnt even mention the stronger pound vs. dollar.

What a shame, I love my home state but its so obvious London appeals more to UK, AU and US stars than LA will. At least McDiarmid has an excuse, hes in a play during CIV and Christopher Lee said after LOTR that at his age he will not be flying anymore, fair enough. Others do not have an excuse and have disrespected the 30 year anniversary of the movie that made them famous, like Hamill. I will be joining the hundreds of other pissed off Americans no doubt flying to London this July. McDiarmid will be there, along with Lee, Christensen, J.E Jones and if Hamill shows up to CE I will scream!

Reaction score

Enchurito said:
CaptainCargo said:
kolawan said:
Jediofgrace said:

I know many people say some star wars celebrities can have a bad demenor sometimes but has anyone EVER seen Ray Park being a jerk? I've never heard from anyone or seen him in person not being just amazingly friendly.
You're right! Ray Park is always fantastic! So is Tem Morrison for that matter. Jeremy Bulloch is also a really nice man. I guess we can't fault the man in black for being evil.

Reaction score

Shadow said:
jediyoda7 said:

Exactly. One of the reasons it was in LA this year is because the Indy convention center is in the process of an overhaul. Not to mention it was too small of a space for tens of thousands of fans. The bottom line is this though: Regardless of WHERE the next Celebration (if there is one), if the big namers can't "fit it into their schedule", it won't make a lick of difference anyways. Lets face it, though it is nice for us west coasters that we finally have a celebration close to us, we really were hoping for at LEAST Hamill to show up. It is extremely disappointing that some actors can't take time out of their so called "busy schedule" to appear for a couple hours when Shatner shows up at the major Trek cons and we see how he actually has a job (making commercials,TV shows, etc).

Reaction score

epsilonjedi said:
...when Shatner shows up at the major Trek cons and we see how he actually has a job (making commercials,TV shows, etc).
That's an interesting point, I must say.

Reaction score

Shadow said:
But seriously, having it in Indianapolis is not in the center of the country, that's two thirds of the way east on the continent. Very convenient for the East-Coast and Mid-West, 2/3 farther for those of us from the West Coast.
Geography aside, Indy IS within 1000 miles of nearly 80% of the US population. In that aspect it is "central."

As for the East Coast? We will never see a Star Wars specific convention like CIV. The closest we'll ever come was having it in Indy. For many people on the East Coast it's only going to get more expensive and, IMO, less attractive as time goes on if they continue in LA. I know that CIV is the last time I'll go due to price and logistics.

E...

Reaction score

Shadow said:
jediyoda7 said:

Just to clear things up I'm not saying that it shouldn't be moved around to give all fans better access. I'm saying that when 3/4 of the fan community heard it was in L.A. and made a stink about it, we were told it would be easier to get the big names out to the event being in L.A and being the 30th anniversary. I'm still waiting for them to deliver on that one. You also mention Lucasflim and ILM being in CA. That's great, but what I really expected to see was the whole main cast from A New Hope minus Ford. Even if it was just for a panel and no autographs I would have been fine with it. The events lack the major force that C2 and C3 had and the big names stars are almost nonexsistant! As for having ILM or Lucasfilm people there that is cool, however it's nowhere near as cool as having Hamil, Ford, or Jackson all of which live in or near L.A. I will say that in my experience the smaller actors have made up for the lack of big names. At least they are friendly and want to be there!

Beyond that Indy was easier for most of the country to get to. I know the convention center is being renovated, but let's look at what Indy offered. Hotels attached to the convention center, hotels right across the street that were not attached, restaurants within walking distance of the convention center, parking that did not cost an arm and a leg, and a generally cheaper economy for the traveler. Also Indy was about a 1 day drive for most of the country to get to. I will admit space was a big issue in Indy.

Now let's look at the L.A. convention center. NO hotels attached to the convention center, only one within reasonable walking distance (Holiday Inn) which means a shuttle system (that we still know nothing about), restaurants again not within reasonable walking distance, parking that will cost you a Gentle Giant exclusive, it's much more expensive than most of the country in general, and finally most people have to fly to get there. Let's face it to, L.A.does not have a good image even though you and I know the image is false. Yes, at least we will have more space, but I really doubt this con will get the numbers C3 did in attendance and you have to wonder if that is the case, how much of it was due to the travel and expense factor and how much was because there was no film to drive it.

Now before I get jumped on let me say that both my wife and I are going. What does that say about me. It says I've already followed this thing to L.A. as many, including me, followed it to Indy. Bottom line for me is the disappointment in the number of big name guests so far and to a much smaller extent the events that we know about so far. Using the excuse that L.A. would bring out the big names has been nothing more that a cheap marketing tool used against us trusting fans to try to hide the fact that most people were not happy with the location of this con. So much for the BIG 30th anniversary celebration! That being said will it still be fun...YES, of course IT'S STAR WARS AFTER ALL and in the end it's more about the community of us fans getting together then any actor, event or exclusive!

Reaction score

jediyoda7 said:
Let's face it to, L.A.does not have a good image even though you and I know the image is false. Yes, at least we will have more space, but I really doubt this con will get the numbers C3 did in attendance and you have to wonder if that is the case, how much of it was due to the travel and expense factor and how much was because there was no film to drive it.
I really hope that less people come out for C4, but as a former LA county dweller for many years it pains me to say the place is overpopulated and I'm sure the organizers are banking on drawing some of the 20+ million people who are within 4 hour driving distance or less. I really hope the crowds are on the smaller side but for instance say the Stones come into town, they'll play not one but two shows at the Stadium which holds 50,000 and they sell out within minutes. If the interest is there for the event and its marketed correctly I bet by Saturday they eclipse the previous mark for attendence.

Reaction score

In all honesty though who can you blame if CE end up having a better guest list? The only people you can blame really is the guests.

If Ian McDiarmid doesn't want to attend C4 then that is a sahme but if there's a chance that the CE organisres can convince him to attend CE then surely shouldn't they take that chance?
Or should they say 'no don't bother because you didn't attend C4 first?'

I'm sure if the organisers of both celebrations are doing the best they can to get BIG names to attend, but you can't balme 1 cleberation event if they happens to be more succesful in getting guests purely becuase the time of the event fits better with a certain guest

Reaction score

in all honesty, I am dissapointed that the " real" wedge isn't going to show up I would have to have met him and gotten his autograph, but I agree, where are all the big names, this is the celebration of the 30th anniversary of star wars, what the heck is mark hammil doing that is keeping him from showing up for a single day! and speeking of panels, how about, " the extras of star wars" imagine th stories that the background characters must have?! I mean come on, so far its just a convention to pick up exclusives , what the dealio

Reaction score

Lee_c00per said:
In all honesty though who can you blame if CE end up having a better guest list? The only people you can blame really is the guests.

If Ian McDiarmid doesn't want to attend C4 then that is a sahme but if there's a chance that the CE organisres can convince him to attend CE then surely shouldn't they take that chance?

I'm sure if the organisers of both celebrations are doing the best they can to get BIG names to attend, but you can't balme 1 cleberation event if they happens to be more succesful in getting guests purely becuase the time of the event fits better with a certain guest
Is it really the guests though? Nothing against OfficialPix (I love them, in fact), but do you think it may be because the main stars were not offered enough $ to come? I'm sure Hamill would come if they offered him a million bucks for 3 or 4 days. This may sound unreasonable for OPX to do, but if you charge 100 bucks for an autograph, you would only need 10,000 people to cover this charge. If he's there for 3 or more days, it would give more people the oppertunity to have stuff signed and at $100, I think most everyone would be more than likely to pay this for a signature.

I may be completely off here, but could it be a combination of how much money is offered along with the availablity of the actor?

Reaction score

OK, Hamill isn't that busy. Period! He isn't doing anything,. He doesn't even have a legitimate website. His web page looks like something a 5th grader put together in 1995.

Reaction score

epsilonjedi said:
Lee_c00per said:

Is it really the guests though? Nothing against OfficialPix (I love them, in fact), but do you think it may be because the main stars were not offered enough $ to come? I'm sure Hamill would come if they offered him a million bucks for 3 or 4 days. This may sound unreasonable for OPX to do, but if you charge 100 bucks for an autograph, you would only need 10,000 people to cover this charge. If he's there for 3 or more days, it would give more people the oppertunity to have stuff signed and at $100, I think most everyone would be more than likely to pay this for a signature.

I may be completely off here, but could it be a combination of how much money is offered along with the availablity of the actor?
I don't think you can get 10,000 people to pay $100 for Hamill's Signature. Not to mention that he would have to sign 5+ items every minute for 8 hours a day for 4 days to hit that quota. At that price not many casual 1 day pass fans would pay. The same goes for SLJ, JEJ, Hayden, Portman.

The same 100 of us that post on autographs would gladly pay $100+ and most of us would get several signatures for the big name stars. Alot of Star Wars fans would not find the Value in spending that much money on an autograph. Just wait until after CIV for the complaining threads on the $4.00 sodas and hot dogs.

Reaction score

Is it really the guests though? Nothing against OfficialPix (I love them said:
I doubt if it has anything to do with how much OPX offered them. OPX has had most of the potential GOH do personal signings before so I am sure they are aware of the money to offer the larger signers. I honestly believe that the whole lack of attendance is solely the personal feelings towards meeting fans on the guest part. But, that is just my opinion.