Is there any point to grading? - This could get interesting :)

Reaction score
Hi guys,

As above, is there any point / true benefit to grading? The reason I ask this question is I've had a good look through this section, regarding re-casing or re-grading from UKG to AFA etc and the consensus seems to be that there's a massive chance the item will be re-graded differently, which for the most part I agree with (discolouration and such).

However, surely the time item has left the graders the given score is in essence...no longer valid. For example, my 90 grade Boba is on his way back home from AFA and Mr Over-Zealous Postie decides to boot the figure/parcel all over the shot en-route (the git). I then notice on receipt the bubble is a little loose. But...it still got a grade 90!
Or, I got a 100 grade for my Jar Jar Binks (lol) and over the course of a year I notice the bubble turn somewhat slightly yellow,but accordlong to my score it's a 100!

So my point is (I get there eventually, hang in there) should there be an 'expiry date' of sorts for a graded item that over a specified period of time needs to be re-newed in order to re-validate the score? (should the owner or new owner wish too of course)

I know the likes of AFA etc would rub their hands at the thought of this idea but it would be for the new owner or existing owner's benefit too, more if selling - you could confirm the item was re-scored as of such date and you as the buyer take your chances.

What are your views on this? Or am I just talking out of my ****?

Cheers

Kenny 😊👍

Reaction score
Regrades are pointless in my opinion. I believe that once its graded, its graded. Yes it will change over time, but at the original grade, it is what it was.

I like the CAS option of no grades with documentation. This way, its documentation shows authentic and if there's no grade, it can't go down.

As for grading itself.
Its split half and half.

Members love it or hate it.

Personally I think most just dont like the fact of the number grade. I'm more for authentication and can care less about the number grade unless I'm paying for it.

CAS is the only company (I believe) that offers a non graded but still authenticated and documentation package. I am for that myself. Yes, AFA has NG but that's for missing pieces or other.

Others will say the group authentication is more than enough. I can say my insurance company would rather have documentation lol.

As for the question of being worth it or not depends on the piece itself.

Would I grade a stormtrooper, no. Would I grade a stormtrooper Luke, yes.

There are expensive or valuable pieces out there that I would require documentation for. But that's me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
"I'm more for authentication and can care less about the number grade" - I'm so on the same page and love this idea/option. I normally use UKG for my casing due to being UK based and might request something similar (authentication/documentation only).

Thanks fella 😊👍

Reaction score
Well I just validated my own question. I have a 2002 Toy Fair Darth Vader (the one with the saber protruding the top of the bubble), it's graded a straight 90 and looked perfect when I bought it - even got big Davie Prowse to sign it for me (RIP ol'fella) and it's been out of any form of light, heat source etc for YEARS.

Well I was sorting through some of my collectables over the weekend there and out of 10 figures stored together, which incl my Vader, the Vader has now got a yellow bubble?!....what the actual fck! There is no reason whatsoever for this to happen other than plain and simple deteriation. Yet all the other figures that were stored with this one are perfect, even ones waaay older than this figure. Gutted and very off putting with it comes to collecting figures. 😕

Reaction score
Yeah, that part of collecting sucks. I have items boxed and completely hidden from any direct light. Sucks to find the piece has changed just sitting there in the dark by itself.

Reaction score
I like AFA grading because it preserves the pieces I bought, makes it easier to buy, sell or trade and also AFA grading makes my figures and other items look spectacular.

I would not trust CAS to grade my pieces due to their past and present history. Also, CAS is lagging AFA in terms of market reach and scope, its clear how far they lag in market share.

So far, 10 years in, I havent heard any stories about TVC figures melting or bubbles going yellow. could it happen? Sure. But I guess till it happens, I Will continue to grade my TVC items.

Reaction score
I am going to necro this.

I sent in a nearly perfect rotj wicket. It came back as an afa 90.

After several years i found the bubble had yellowed significantly. so much that it would have received the Y in the grade.

I have since sold it but i stopped bothering after that because at the end of the day its carboard and thin plastic that will degrade over time

I also had a lumat trilogo that was an 85. It looked like the bubble was pulling off the card.

Reaction score
I have a few figures that I purchased that were already graded but I have never sent anything in.

I thought about sending my BS Cara Dune in for grading. I purchased a collector grade version so it not been opened. The reason that I haven’t is because I looked at the AFA site and it does not look like a user friendly process at all.

Reaction score
AFA was just acquired, and the new owner is redoing the online submission system. I believe it will be much more user-friendly.