Is there a demand for empty shipping boxes?

Reaction score
I was just wondering if there was a demand for empty shipping cartons? Remember a few years ago when that SW carton ended on Ebay for like $500.00 and everyone was like holycow! I don't usually look for these things so I was just wondering if any collectors here are actively pursuing these for their collections? As well how can you tell a 12 back case from a regular one? Is it the LP logo?

Jim

G

Here is a picture from a collector in the states, this is part of his collection. Talk about a collection!!!!!

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jim Mc Callum:
I was just wondering if there was a demand for empty shipping cartons? Remember a few years ago when that SW carton ended on Ebay for like $500.00 and everyone was like holycow! I don't usually look for these things so I was just wondering if any collectors here are actively pursuing these for their collections? As well how can you tell a 12 back case from a regular one? Is it the LP logo?

Jim
<font size="2" face="arial">I really like the shipping cases, and have tried to pick them up for years. They do take up some space, though, especially for vehicles and playsets, so I've slowed down a bit. I'd still buy any reasonably priced action figure shipping case variation that I didn't have.

Yes, you can ID the 12back and early 20 back cases by the LP logo.

Shaun, those are some awesome pics! Congratulate whoever owns those.

Todd

Reaction score
Actually, I own those - it took me a while to get them, but I think they're really cool. I just wish they were full of figures!

Reaction score
I have one of the empty 12back cases for sale if anyone is interested, by the way.

Reaction score
interesting to look at but i wouldn't personally give much for one. its just a plain cardboard box with writing.

Reaction score
It would be cool to have one, but I wouldn't pay much for it. I mean, how do you display something like this? It takes up a lot of space. I suppose you could fill it up with figures, but that would be pretty expensive, and figures don't display very well in a cardbard box IMO.

-Andy R

Reaction score
Originally posted by Lukestormtrooper:
It would be cool to have one, but I wouldn't pay much for it. I mean, how do you display something like this? It takes up a lot of space. I suppose you could fill it up with figures, but that would be pretty expensive, and figures don't display very well in a cardbard box IMO.

-Andy R
<font size="2" face="arial">I store items other than carded figures in mine. I've got enough odd-size items that I can make use of them.

My long-term idea for displaying things like this is to build a tiered display area using shipping boxes as the backdrop, and then putting boxed toys and other items on them. Sort of to give the impression of a whole bunch of things being pulled straight from cases. Also, they're pretty simple in design, but I've always liked the look of the shippers.

As for keeping cases filled with the original items, it's too expensive to do that IMO. If I got a sealed case of something I'd just pull the best example to keep and sell the rest. I actually bought a sealed case of Raiders Well of the Souls playsets about 8 years ago. Kept a crispy one for myself (the end 2 were dented) and then kept the shipping case, too.

Todd

Reaction score
Originally posted by decadetoys:
Here is a picture from a collector in the states, this is part of his collection. Talk about a collection!!!!!

<font size="2" face="arial">
crazy

Yak

Reaction score
Aw man that is the coolest thing I've see in a long time!! I'll be dreaming about walking into a warehouse crammed with them full of figures next time I have cheese on toast before I go to bed

Reaction score
While i'd love a ROTJ shipping carton, I dont think I could bring myself to spend anymore than about $50 for one. Would that get me very far?

Reaction score
Originally posted by danny whiteley:
While i'd love a ROTJ shipping carton, I dont think I could bring myself to spend anymore than about $50 for one. Would that get me very far?
<font size="2" face="arial">I picked one up for 5$ on ebay a couple of months ago, so yes, 50$ should do the trick

Henrik

Reaction score
My thoughts are that on the coolness/eye appeal I'd give it a 1(c'mon, it's a cardboard box)
on the rareness I'd give it a 9(there can't be many of these things around-can there?)

Reaction score
Jim, Your book is still a great tool by the way...(I bought from you, your Leia 12" MIB in Toronto a couple of years ago). Indeed, I am looking and very interested in such item at 100%. I wish they where a little more easy to locate them.

Reaction score
I used to collect empty boxes of vintage 80's lines like ROCK LORDS, MOTU (Masters Of The Universe), STARCOM ... but never found any french empty shipping box of star wars sadly

arnaud

Reaction score
Hi Arnaud!

I just wanted to apologize for my 'brutal act' of disposing of at least a dozen Meccano '20bk' boxes in the late 1980's!

They weren't as 'attractive' as the Kenner boxes so I threw them ALL away! = Oops!

Palitoy/GMUK shipping boxes/cases are 'dull' too! I have only two boxes in my collection! One for a dozen AST-5 Mini Rigs and another one that I only opened last year full of a dozen 'Tri-logo' (really European 'Bi-logo') INT-4s! Which I purchased in Provence for only €35.00 €uros!

Here's the last INT-4 listed on eBay! =

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2475&item=3123245439

= The European boxes are just plain 'boring' in my opinion!? The Kenner examples at least are 'bolder', hence making them slightly more 'interesting'?! = I was tempted to keep them all sealed in the box! BUT INT-4s just aren't that 'exciting' in my opinion?!

Bill

Who else has Palitoy/European boxes out there too?

[ 04-15-2003, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Billy Boy ]

michael_mensinger

Reaction score
I am a HUGE fan of shipping cases. I enjoy a number of aspects of them. First, as Todd mentioned, I like the text layout on the boxes. Each company has a particular style to their shipping cases from a particular era and Kenner's is one of the nicest IMHO. Secondly, I value them from an informational standpoint. To me it is enjoyable to learn the case ratios in which figures, vehicles, etc. were shipped to stores.

As for display, they can be troubling due to their large size. I keep mine stored, but they are accessible whenever I choose to view them. The majority of my shipping cases are for vehicles, but I have a few figure ones as well. I was able to secure a decent sized collection of them from Dan Kubert awhile before he sold his collection. They all originated from an auction lot and still possessed the auction lot stickers on many. I've picked up some others here and there to go with that batch. If anyone has any for sale at the moment drop me an email and LMK which ones you have and what you want for them.

-Mike

Reaction score
I love shipping cases!! Right now, my collection is in a basement in boxes, so all my shipping cases are filled. Otherwise, I agree with many that it is tough to display them. One way to have them not take up so much space is to flatten them, but then you might have to cut the original tape on the bottom = dilemma.
Andy

Reaction score
Hello

Well yes the empty boxes looks great, I really like it, I have 3 boxes, one from Empire, one from Return and one from POTF figures

-oscar

Reaction score
Whats the going rate on an empty ROTJ carded shipping case? Anyone got any ideas?

(Thought i'd bump this up rather than start a new thread - and to show ive done my research
)

[ 03-15-2004, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: danny whiteley ]

Reaction score
No value at all!!!
Send them my way

Todd D

Seriously, I have been picking them up between $6-$17 each on eBay.

[ 03-15-2004, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: StarWarsMuseum ]

Reaction score
I pick up shipping boxes any time I can. I have a pallet that I got when Kenner closed in Cincy. It's basically just a wood pallet with Kenner stenciled on it with spray paint, but it's still pretty cool. I plan to stack the different shipping boxes up on it for a display.

Dan

Reaction score
Thats cool Flarida. A vintage Star Wars pallet...

Ive just picked up my first shipping case, it cost me $22.50 plus shipping, but ive wanted one of these for ages and never see them for sale (ebay or anywhere). All the better for me is its a ROTJ one to go with my ROTJ carded figures. I might even fill it when it arrives, just for effect.

Reaction score
MicroRob recently purchased the two Kenner Micro Collection boxes that I listed on E-Bay, both of these boxes were addressed to Lucas Film LTD when they had offices here in the UK. Hopefully he has received them by now or they should be with him very shortly.

Reaction score
About 3 years ago, I purchased around 25 empty Kenner shipping boxes - some 12back cases, ESB, ROTJ, and one POTF. (no foreign ones, though) Plus, I had a Jabba the Hutt playset case, along with multiple Micro Machines ones. I've probably sold around half of them, and had varying prices. Obviously, the ROTJ cases were the least expensive, and sold at $30 each. The 12back case (which we thought had been lost in the mail before it was ultimately returned to me and then forwarded to the buyer) went for $250 (give or take $20 - it has been over a year). Interestingly, I see more SW and ROTJ cases pop up - I can't tell you the last time I saw an empty ESB figure case pop up on ebay (or anywhere, for that matter). It is fun to see a case full of 48 figures - although for anyone who has tried to fill a vintage case with the 48 figures (as is listed on the side of the box) will tell you - it is DIFFICULT to stuff 48 figures in there - it's a minor miracle that more bubbles were completely destroyed in the packing/shipping process.

Reaction score
Did a shipping box made especially for the ESB Yoda figure ever exist?

I'm sure I brought one home from the local Zayre back when the Yoda figure first came out. It literally said "YODA Action figure(s)" in bold print on the sides.

I searched my parent's basement in the 90's, but no luck.

Did I dream this up?

Scott

[ 03-15-2004, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Scott D ]

Reaction score
Originally posted by Scott D:
<font size="2" face="arial">Yes, they made a Yoda only shipping case of 16.
I bought it full of Yoda's years ago for $35 a fig.
The interesting thing about it was that there was only 3 "Brown Snake" Yoda's and 13 "Orange Snake" Yoda's.
I was also able to pick up a straight case of Lando's.

Todd D

Reaction score
Originally posted by Scott D:

I'm sure I brought one home from the local Zayre back when the Yoda figure first came out. It literally said "YODA Action figure(s)" in bold print on the sides.

I searched my parent's basement in the 90's, but no luck.

Did I dream this up?

Scott
<font size="2" face="arial">No, you didn't dream this up....

I saw one at the 1995 (?) Las Vegas auction. As I recall it was a smaller sized box (maybe for 20 figures) but it was just for Yoda -- it had "Yoda" printed on the side.

I don't know who got it.

John

Reaction score
Speaking of shipping boxes, there are some neat vintage Topps trading cards shipping boxes on Ebay right now. Check this one out:
Topps Box

Reaction score
Hello

Well in a year I have a complete set right now
I really like the shipping boxes from Kenner, I`ll do some acrylic cases for that in the future

-oscar

Reaction score
I love the shipping boxes as well. Don't own one as of yet, but really dig them. However, early last year I purchased a shipping box for the ESB Survival Kit Figures on eBay from a seller by the name: "oftimespast" and they accidentally shipped it to the wrong address and the person that received it never sent it back to them so I never got it
I have been looking for one ever since to no avail.

Any help out there would be kindly appreciated you all

*edited for spelling*

[ 03-17-2004, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: Broc ]