Is The Last Crusade...

Reaction score
....anyone else's LEAST favorite Indy film, even with Crystal Skull in the mix? Don't get me wrong as I think all four movies are awesome in their own way, even Last Crusade which I always enjoy a lot, and it wasn't even always my least favorite, but it just seems to hold up the least well of the films for me. I find it's far too lighthearted and comical, which in turn makes it not have the same feeling of danger and intensity Raiders and Temple Of Doom both had in big numbers, and Indy himself doesn't feel quite as edgy or cutthroat as he was in the previous two movies. The villains I think were the least interesting of the series, I always disliked how it rendered Sallah and Brody into useless comic relief and the opening sequence with Indy's backstory is so over the top to me. I also felt it was a mistake to go back to the Nazis again, unlike others I always liked how Temple Of Doom had totally different enemies for Indy to be up against, and I liked this about Crystal Skull as well. The Nazis being back was pretty boring to me.

I still think it's a great movie, don't get me wrong. Indy's father is an awesome character and I dig the tank and boat scenes as well as the trials Indy faces near the end, but it's the one of the series I feel the least compelled to rewatch. I used to be in the majority of fans who felt Crystal Skull was the weakest, but I grew to enjoy it much more with repeat views and while far from flawless, I liked that it had a different mythology and different enemies for Indy to be involved with and I liked the setpieces and action of it more than Last Crusade. I liked that it tried something different and didn't do another Nazi storyline.

For the record, I rate both Raiders and TOD a 10/10 each and both of the latter two films score an 8/10 from me. I think they're all top-notch films but it seems uncommon for people to regard Last Crusade as a weaker film than the others. Which isn't to knock it of course, but I just find the others to be a little more entertaining.

Reaction score
Last Crusade was the only film I saw in the theatre as a kid. But I still acknowledge Raiders as the best of the four movies. With that being said I place LC as a strong second to Raiders as the father and son roles are well executed by both actors and really make the film the experience it is as a crowd pleaser.

Jonathan

Reaction score
loved LC... the way Ford and Connery played off it each other was beyond great. KOTCS will always be last in my opinion.

Reaction score
I don't know, I enjoyed it all the same. I loved it as with all the other films. And anyway, The Last Crusade (as you may think would be ironically-titled) happened to inspire the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles TV series.

Reaction score
I still like it a great deal don't get me wrong but it just kinda holds up as the least rewatchable for me.

Reaction score
Raiders
Last Crusade
Skull
Doom

Oddly enough I like the figures the most from Doom. I actually like all of the Indy films. Even (gasp) Skull.

Reaction score
I'd say it's #3 for me. Actually, I rate them in the same order they were released 1)ROTLA 2)ToD 3)LC 4)KOTCS.

I liken LC to ROTJ. The two of them both seem like they are attempts to re-make the first movies of their respective series. LC seems to try to hit many of the same beats as ROTLA:

Christian artifact as the McGuffin
Nazis as the villains
Desert setting
Sallah/Brody
Indy on horseback
Flying Wing battle/Tank Battle
Melting/Aging faces at the end

Much like ROTJ hits many of the same beats as ANH:

Tatooine
Cantina/Jabba's palace
Luke/Leia swinging on a rope
Death Star
Space battle at end to blow up Death Star
Celebration at end

It seems like, in both cases, Lucas either tried to re-capture the magic of the first films in the series or use the third film to re-do certain aspects of those films. Or he just couldn't come up with any new ideas.

Reaction score
I agree. Last Crusade is the weakest of the three Indiana Jones movies. Despite bringing in Connery, which was genius, it was unforgivable to make Marcus Brody an idiot the way they did. At least Sallah was just comic relief (which he played a little bit in Raiders with the flag gag). But Marcus went from being one of the "Top Men" who "would have gone after the ark himself five years ago" to "Got lost in his own museum". Denholm Elliot should have left after reading the script.

And yes, there are only three Indy movies. End of story. Move along.

Reaction score
I don't consider Crystal Skull an Indiana Jones movie. I almost walked out twice......when Indy landed inside a refrigerator and when the ants took the soldier down the hole.

I like the other 3 in the order as they were released.

TOD continues to be exciting for me just like Rocky III is.

Reaction score
Well, I will be one of the few to agree. Indy in a tie and the played for comedy characters make last crusade my least favourite of the four indy films. Raiders is far and away the best film, but I am far more likely to rewatch Tod. I liked Kingdom of the crystal skull, it has flaws aplenty, lots of them, but I also think it has its own charm.

Reaction score
last crusade is probably my second favorite, I like temple of doom but cant really sit down and watch it very often. I don't like crystal skull but I can watch the whole campus chase greasers fight part again whenever its on.

Reaction score
Well, I will be one of the few to agree. Indy in a tie and the played for comedy characters make last crusade my least favourite of the four indy films. Raiders is far and away the best film, but I am far more likely to rewatch Tod. I liked Kingdom of the crystal skull, it has flaws aplenty, lots of them, but I also think it has its own charm.

Same for me. I find all are enjoyable and have high rewatchability.

Reaction score
In order for me, I like: raiders, crusade, tod, then skull.

personally, I like movies about crusades for pieces like the ark of the covenant, the holy grail... But sacred stones with magical powers and alien skulls not so much.. The artefacts Indy and dad were chasing in raiders and crusade are steeped in history, and mystery, so that brings an automatic response, people want to see those things, for real and in stories.. Ask any archeologist.. The cup of a carpenter, love it