Is "Shadows Of The Empire" still, or ever considered, 'canon' by DISNEY?

Reaction score
Value isn't important, I'm not collecting with future resale in mind. It's all about enjoyment so money is of no value.

A clean slate was needed, it means nothing is bogged down by something someone was written. Disney can fill in gaps at some point and the old EU characters could turn up other stories.
True enough, and I sort of expect that that's what we will see in the future at some point.
I too collect for the love of the hobbie and have no intent of ever selling a single piece that I own. At the same time though, I like to know that it's still worth something/ should/ will increase in value over the long term.

GNT

Reaction score
True enough, and I sort of expect that that's what we will see in the future at some point.
I too collect for the love of the hobbie and have no intent of ever selling a single piece that I own. At the same time though, I like to know that it's still worth something/ should/ will increase in value over the long term.
There will probably only be a small handful of figures that'll be worth more then retail (figures packed one per case or figures from the last few years that didn't have a high production run) a majority of the Hasbro modern toy line is mass produced and you'll probably find most people leave them carded anyways so there will always be some to buy. For best investment Vintage would be the way to go as that's what most people are after.

Reaction score
There will probably only be a small handful of figures that'll be worth more then retail (figures packed one per case or figures from the last few years that didn't have a high production run) a majority of the Hasbro modern toy line is mass produced and you'll probably find most people leave them carded anyways so there will always be some to buy. For best investment Vintage would be the way to go as that's what most people are after.
Or, ironically, The Vintage Collection. It had a lot of figures with low production numbers, it's also easily the best line Hasbro ever produced. Years ago when I first started collecting, I thought about going the vintage route. But the initial $ commitment combined with the fact that the figures themselves(IMO) aren't very attractive at all turned me away from that route. You're right about it being the best 'investment' choice though.

Out of curiosity, how many 30th Anv. line Darth Revans' were produced?

Reaction score
There are TONS of things in pre-ANH EU that conflict with TCW, Rebels, and will likely conflict with TFA, spinoffs, and other upcoming media. Some big things (Depa Bilaba's fate, Barriss Offee, Luminara Unduli), many little things people forget about... A full blank slate was needed.

Reaction score
It's a real shame that they decided to do away with all the EU stories. I could see why they wanted to start off after ROTJ with a clean slate, but they should have left everything going on before ANH alone. More importantly, anything Lucasarts did should have been left as canon. Bastila, Malgus, Revan should have been left alone.

I wonder how this will effect the value EU figures/ toy's though. Anyone have any speculation on this?
I imagine only things already lower in production numbers will be more valuable, but I don't know that value will be affected otherwise. Would I hold on to them? Yes, yes I would, because I'm hearing Disney is basically saying to not make things based on the old EU anymore, so if that is true, than things like Mara Jade, Mosep, and Malgus are the final figures of the old EU we'll see. Maybe Revan and Malak will still fetch some cash, but otherwise they'll just remain another reminder of the pre-Disney era.

Reaction score
Mosep's not an EU figure... There was a dude in that costume on the set, photographic evidence and all. I think Fans Choice will still be an avenue for getting Legends figures... And after the new canon is better mapped and established maybe Lucasfilm will allow Legends stories--maybe even toys--to resume production. Right now it'd just get in the way of the new universe they're establishing.

Reaction score
Yeah, with Rebels and a movie every year, Disney has plenty of new intellectual property to establish. No need to put any investment into obscure EU characters that most shoppers won't recognize on the pegs.

Reaction score
Thing is, I'd go for any SW figure if it looked cool to me. Doesn't matter if I never read or played the material they hail from.

Reaction score
SOTE grandfathered into the new canon? I hope not. One of the best things about wiping the slate clean is to get rid of stories like this. I never played the video game, but the novel and comic series (and comic spinoffs) were very weak and the toys clogged the shelves for months if not years. There's probably a Toys R Us with a dusty beatup Chewie as Snoova lurking on a back peg somewhere. The soundtrack was pretty good though I have to admit :) Xizor and his pheromones? Sure, maybe as a teenager reading this story I would have wished to have some of that magic to work on Leia, but its embarrasing to even think about reading it almost twenty years later and its frankly surprising Lucasfilm even allowed its inclusion at the time. His character going toe-to-toe with Vader to win the Emperor's was never believable in my opinion. Luke displayed practically no development aside from building his lightsaber and he pratically reverts to his whiny ANH character instead of the more mature on-the-brink-of-becoming-a-Jedi we see in ROTJ. Dash Rendar was a poor replacement for Han... they should have just let Lando act as the Han transplant instead of introducing a new character. You think Dash really needed to "save" Luke? I think not. About the only part of the story that was worthwhile was Vader's characterization and his feelings towards Luke and how he tries to heal his wounds through the Force.

I really wanted this to project to succeed at the time, but to me it was instantly forgettable, though as a marketing experiment I have to give Lucasfilm credit for the attempt, though the "Making of" book was a bit of a stretch I think for most (how many still keep that one in their library?). There is no reason to believe this will be kept anymore than any other Legends EU story. If anything, I hope they revisit this era in the new canon and supply a more convincing story, one that isn't just a teenage wet dream of viewing Leia naked through a holo cam and having *** with human-like droids.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ditto. As a kid I can remember never seeing media for certain figures, yet they looked cool to me! I don't recall what they were called, just those average store brands I think. Even now, I see some very cool figure sets.

Reaction score
MacFarlane Toys comes to mind; I never read many Spawn comics, but there were several Spawn figures and characters from other comics that I got just because they looked cool to me at the time. And even with its low articulation, I jumped at the Clone Wars Nikto Guard, even tho I didn't remember seeing him in the show (or the movie, as I hadn't watched the movie yet). "It's a Nikto! In a cool outfit! Yes please!"

Reaction score
I rather liked SOTE back in the 90s. I even bought the novel and score. I only have a few of the figures. I tend to have my own canon and until there is something to really contradict its existence it stays. I don't care what Disney says.

Reaction score
Not Disney; Lucasfilm. Does no good to blame Disney. The moment George decided there'd be sequels, the EU was toast. It was already on Death Row with The Clone Wars, which changed the happenings during the war tremendously... It even made Black Sun a purely Falleen enterprise.

That said, one of the books released the other day, set between ESB & ROTJ, has Leia going to meet Luke on Kothlis. And pretty much all the books just released included a ton of EU stuff, canonizing many characters and locations and whatnot.

Reaction score
Yeah I do remember Lucas at first saying that the novels were canon (One of my reasons for buying them) and later he started backing away from that once the prequels were in production. Did Lucasfilm decide that the Force Unleashed games were non canon too?

Last edited:
Reaction score
EVERYTHING before April 2014 except the films and TCW is non-canon.
This seems to be the case. While we may see some familiar locales and/or technology from the Legends sources, I think we can pretty much say goodbye to any of the characters that didn't make it into the movies or Clone Wars cartoon. I was holding on to hope that some characters might get saved from this (Thrawn, Mara Jade, Kyle Katarn to name a few), but I think they're all gone. Bringing back any character now brings too many questions about how much of his/her history is canon and how much isn't. The slate has been wiped clean and a new era begun.

Still, I can't blame Disney. Parts of the old EU were wonderful. Parts of it stunk on ice (the bug wars come to mind...or as I called it "Starship Troopers in Star Wars"). Parts of it were consistent, some weren't. Disney really had no other logical choice than to just start over. Plus, it was the sound financial decision. While I'll miss some of the old stuff, I look forward to seeing what replaces it. So far, I'm enthused.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Old characters WILL be back, it's just a matter of when, and how different they'll be. There's a mysterious fleet admiral in Aftermath than many suspect is Thrawn. The new books from Force Friday bright back a ton of minor EU characters, ships, places, etc. If Thrawn comes back, he MIGHT be a Grand Admiral... There is a canonical Grand General, so a GA isn't a big step from that. He won't have targeted an Outbound Flight project for destruction unless they go back and create a new one... But he might still have an affinity for the arts, as the new fleet admiral does, with or without the specific study of the arts for a tactical advantage (which was always kinda silly... How would he perceive Earth thru our arts? There's such a wide variety... It only worked in the old EU because they stuck to WEG's interpretation of George's ideas, that every species is basically unified in everything; Rodians are all bounty hunters, Sullustans are all techy pilots, Gamorreans all thugs for hire). We'll get new backstory to any rebooted characters. No big deal.