Is "Shadows Of The Empire" still, or ever considered, 'canon' by DISNEY?

Reaction score
So my idea is, that with the Prequels ( and the OT SE's ) incorporating some key elements from SOTE, ( Coruscant, Swoop Bikes, The Outrider, The Moldy Crow, etc ) would that kind of "Grandfather" SOTE in as canon, against Disney's scorched Earth policy on the EU?
Maybe a Spin Off movie can be made from SOTE, now that Disney is looking to really push the property?
Anyone from Disney reading this? ; )

Reaction score
Coruscant didn't come from SOTE, nor did the idea of Swoop Bikes. Both existed previously in the EU and WEG RPG. The Moldy Crow? Kyle Katarn's ship wasn't in the PT or the SEs.

But to answer the question: No. SOTE is every bit as EU as Heir to the Empire, Labyrinth of Evil, and the other books. Just because the Outrider and those clunky swoops designed for the SOTE multimedia "everything but a movie" campaign made it into the ANH SE doesn't mean the entire story is magically canon, just as Pre Vizsla telling Obi-Wan that the darksaber was stolen by the Mandalorians from the Jedi Temple of the Old Republic long, long ago doesn't mean KOTOR or SWTOR is suddenly completely canon.

Think of it this way: if some character in The Force Awakens makes a reference to Grand Admiral Thrawn as some past Imperial hero (or enemy of the Alliance), that doesn't mean the Thrawn Trilogy is canon, because Leia's not having twins named Jacen & Jaina 5 years after ROTJ ends. It just makes the character, the idea, of Grand Admiral Thrawn canon, tho nearly every detail about him may change in the new canon version.

Reaction score
I see what you're saying, I just think that if they show it on screen with any direct interaction, that it should have some inclusion in canon.
( other than 'easter eggs', which can be told the difference from something meant to be included in the story itself )

I was under the assumption that this was the Moldy Crow, being slipped into TPM?

And in correcting myself, Coruscant was first mentioned in Zahn's "HTTE" series.
So, I also assumed that because of it's inclusion in the PT films, and at the end of ROTJ, that Coruscant was canonized.

Reaction score
I see what you're saying, I just think that if they show it on screen with any direct interaction, that it should have some inclusion in canon.
( other than 'easter eggs', which can be told the difference from something meant to be included in the story itself )

I was under the assumption that this was the Moldy Crow, being slipped into TPM?

And in correcting myself, Coruscant was first mentioned in Zahn's "HTTE" series.
So, I also assumed that because of it's inclusion in the PT films, and at the end of ROTJ, that Coruscant was canonized.
If it's shown on-screen, it's canon... but only it. The type of ship the Outrider is, is now canon... but not necessarily the Outrider itself. That type of swoop bike is canon. But that doesn't mean SOTE is canon, anymore than HTTE is canon.

And that's not the Moldy Crow in that screen cap.

JVM

Reaction score
No, Disney erased the entirety of the Expanded Universe to my understanding. I'm rather mystified by some of the details of the decisions, and one of them is the erasure of the Lucasfilm-developed projects within the film timeline like Shadows of the Empire, Clone Wars 2002, and The Force Unleashed. The latter was ditched most likely so that it did not conflict with the setup of Rebels, I suppose, since implications seem to suggest the Inquisitor fills a similar niche, and the dealing with the dawn of the Rebellion. The middle one, I've no idea why - it was very closely deveoped with Lucasfilm and Asajj Ventress has remained an important character in canon. I don't intend to rehash the decision as much as question the particular aspect of dropping Lucasfilm's work.

Maybe a Spin Off movie can be made from SOTE, now that Disney is looking to really push the property?
I'd love the idea hypothetically, but the actors can't step back into the old roles for a story set before Return of the Jedi, and stories about Prince Xizor's pegwarming in 1996 are still oft-told, so I doubt there'd be enthusiasm to bring the character and his plots or organization back. If I could see any aspect of SOTE pulling through, it'd probably have to be Dash Rendar himself and he's not really a big step away from Han Solo *as far as Disney's concerned*.

As a side note, Prince Xizor cameos in TPM in the podracing grandstands, IIRC

Reaction score
But that doesn't mean Xizor is canon. A couple Micro Machines figures of him standing in close proximity to colorful q-tips means nothing. At best, you could just argue that it's a couple Black Sun Falleen like those we saw in TCW were watching the race.

The 2002 Clone Wars was too over the top to keep in the canon, and painted the wrong picture of Grievous compared to ROTS & TCW. SOTE likely doesn't fit as well with a post-PT canon. TFU is also over the top and goes too far with having the Emperor as the force behind the plan to form the Rebel Alliance, and having Galen's family crest becoming the Alliance emblem.

JVM

Reaction score
But that doesn't mean Xizor is canon. A couple Micro Machines figures of him standing in close proximity to colorful q-tips means nothing. At best, you could just argue that it's a couple Black Sun Falleen like those we saw in TCW were watching the race.
I had no intention of arguing Xizor was canon, I just thought with the mentions of the Outrider and Speeder Bike cameos, it was worth mentioning anyway.

The 2002 Clone Wars was too over the top to keep in the canon, and painted the wrong picture of Grievous compared to ROTS & TCW. SOTE likely doesn't fit as well with a post-PT canon. TFU is also over the top and goes too far with having the Emperor as the force behind the plan to form the Rebel Alliance, and having Galen's family crest becoming the Alliance emblem.
I understood fine why TFU was left non-canon -- I'm not sure what you mean for CW02 by 'too over the top' though.

Reaction score
Mace Windu jumping a mile into battle. Taking down dozens of Super Battle Droids with his bare hands. Grievous completely dominating a group of Jedi with ease. Stuff like that... Over the top. Also very light on story and dialogue.

JVM

Reaction score
Mace Windu jumping a mile into battle. Taking down dozens of Super Battle Droids with his bare hands. Grievous completely dominating a group of Jedi with ease. Stuff like that... Over the top. Also very light on story and dialogue.
I wasn't a big fan of the Dantooine sequence myself. I suppose it doesn't matter - Disney's not going to revisit the Clone Wars era any time in the immediate future beyond the leftover arcs from TCW.

Reaction score
yeah...cartoons have this clearance to embellish & exaggerate to no end.. Love that micro series, even the Anakin/Asajj Y4 duel was nuts like that Windu stuff, but overall I am still very much on board w/ that series' depiction of TCW.
I wasn't a big fan of the Dantooine sequence myself. I suppose it doesn't matter - Disney's not going to revisit the Clone Wars era any time in the immediate future beyond the leftover arcs from TCW.

Reaction score
animated...I'll take a SOTE CG series over more Rebels, anyday.
No, Disney erased the entirety of the Expanded Universe to my understanding. I'm rather mystified by some of the details of the decisions, and one of them is the erasure of the Lucasfilm-developed projects within the film timeline like Shadows of the Empire, Clone Wars 2002, and The Force Unleashed. The latter was ditched most likely so that it did not conflict with the setup of Rebels, I suppose, since implications seem to suggest the Inquisitor fills a similar niche, and the dealing with the dawn of the Rebellion. The middle one, I've no idea why - it was very closely deveoped with Lucasfilm and Asajj Ventress has remained an important character in canon. I don't intend to rehash the decision as much as question the particular aspect of dropping Lucasfilm's work.

I'd love the idea hypothetically, but the actors can't step back into the old roles for a story set before Return of the Jedi, and stories about Prince Xizor's pegwarming in 1996 are still oft-told, so I doubt there'd be enthusiasm to bring the character and his plots or organization back. If I could see any aspect of SOTE pulling through, it'd probably have to be Dash Rendar himself and he's not really a big step away from Han Solo *as far as Disney's concerned*.

As a side note, Prince Xizor cameos in TPM in the podracing grandstands, IIRC

Last edited:
Reaction score
This would be a great story line for a spin off. I've read the book and ALWAYS thought it would make an amazing movie. Maybe just maybe?

Reaction score
This would be a great story line for a spin off. I've read the book and ALWAYS thought it would make an amazing movie. Maybe just maybe?
IMO the only way they'd consider adapting SOTE into a movie would be in animated form. They might look at a live-action version as an opportunity to recast the OT characters with fresher faces, NuTrek-style, but then you lose the cohesive universe established in April, because--theoretically--you could watch IV-V-SOTE-VI and in the middle there, nearly everyone suddenly looks different, the feel of the film is a lot more modern, etc, and then it all switches back for ROTJ.

Animated, it's much more forgiving with differences in appearance, even voice.

I need to re-read it one of these days, but the memory remains that it felt too forced, too packed with stuff, especially--IIRC--Luke being part of the mission that ultimately acquired the Death Star 2 plans. Too large an adventure...

Reaction score
Hanging out in a room with shelves full of stuff I
IMO the only way they'd consider adapting SOTE into a movie would be in animated form. They might look at a live-action version as an opportunity to recast the OT characters with fresher faces, NuTrek-style, but then you lose the cohesive universe established in April, because--theoretically--you could watch IV-V-SOTE-VI and in the middle there, nearly everyone suddenly looks different, the feel of the film is a lot more modern, etc, and then it all switches back for ROTJ.

Animated, it's much more forgiving with differences in appearance, even voice.

I need to re-read it one of these days, but the memory remains that it felt too forced, too packed with stuff, especially--IIRC--Luke being part of the mission that ultimately acquired the Death Star 2 plans. Too large an adventure...
heh...

pun's aside I agree animated would help smooth over rough situations like actor changes and such, and if it was made Japanese anime style... i may have to lick the screen.... anyways...yes Rez would mucho approve this

Oh and just FWI my favorite Imperial character ever is in SOTE... Wrenga Jixton! I loved his character and his background... I'm actually drawing a fanart comic to star him as a main character though unlike ShadowStalker it'll take place well after DSII blows up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm indifferent as to whether SOTE is considered canon by Disney/Lflm. If I want to consider it canon, I will - I don't think anything in the ST will contradict this, anyway.

And, that being said, I was a big fan of the EU novels & comics that came out back in the '90's - many of which took place after ROTJ. It seems that the new films will contradict much of this material - which is fine - but if I like the continuity of the '90's-on books like the HTTE Trilogy by Tim Zahn, the great comic series Dark Empire, etc. more than I like the storyline(s) of the new films - I will consider the new films EU and the older books "canon" - despite what Lucasfilm/Disney says. In other words, I don't mind seeing Episode VII-on as "EU" and everything else as "canon". After all, Episode VII-on won't have GL's involvement, so IMHO it's already EU to some extent.

No one can tell me that novels/comics I like didn't happen in SW continuity...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Disney did.
Well, I don't have to listen to Disney. If I wanted to, I could consider the EU that's out there now "canon" & everything that Disney comes out with - including the forthcoming ST - the actual EU; as I mentioned earlier, since GL won't be involved in the forthcoming films I already consider them EU to some extent anyway...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, I don't have to listen to Disney. If I wanted to, I could consider the EU that's out there now "canon" & everything that Disney comes out with - including the forthcoming ST - the actual EU; as I mentioned earlier, since GL won't be involved in the forthcoming films I already consider them EU to some extent anyway...
George Lucas wasn't involved in the Legends stories either. They were never canon to begin with. Zahn's foreward was very clear that the stories weren't really canon.

Reaction score
George Lucas wasn't involved in the Legends stories either. They were never canon to begin with. Zahn's foreward was very clear that the stories weren't really canon.
You don't think he had anything to do with a few of the relatively more recent things that fell in the 1-6 or near 1-6 time zone like SOTE? Plagueis (which would seem to touch upon very key subjects that you wouldn't they'd touch withotu direct imput from him or at least some sort of access to his secret notes or something)? Or the Labyrinth of Evil, Approaching Storm type stuff?

I don't think he ever had anything to do with the comic book stuff or the post-ROTJ books at all (which really didn't at all seem to mesh with how I think he had vaguely planned post-ROTJ stuff to go) though.

I was more than fine they dumped the post-ROTJ stuff (heck I think Lucas once said that stuff would all go in the unlikely event he ever got around to 7-9). Or the super early stuff. But I was surprised they got rid of some of the recent near 1-6 era books. Maybe Lucas really had nothing to do with those at all? Some of them seem to have such innocuous story lines I don't see what trouble they'd cause any which way. Ones like Plagueis is seems shocking they'd have been allowed to publish without guidance, but perhaps such was the case?

Reaction score
Think his involvement starts and ends with saying "no you can't do that" if it contradicts specifics of his movie plans ie Sith was off limits for the Thrawn trilogy. Beyond that I think he just rubberstamped the okays. The whole levels of canon crap was ridiculous and is all the evidence you need that stuff was published very willy nilly.

Reaction score
My point in my last post(s) is that as a reader/fan/collector of a lot of the SW EU literature (novels/comics/etc.) since the beginning, if I want I can create my own "canon" and pick & choose what I want. That being said, you could also say that all of the novels, books, comics that have come out since 1978 (starting with the 1978 Splinter of the Mind's Eye novel) are EU & not official - since Lucas didn't write any of them, or have any involvement in their creation...(even though SOTME used the "Kaiburr crystal", which was in an early screenplay draft of ANH that Lucas did write - it didn't make the final cut of the film).

Adding to this, I don't have the time, energy, or inclination to sit down and try to figure out what is EU "canon" & what isn't.

If you enjoy the comics/novels, then read/enjoy them without worrying about whether or not they're "official". I have seen posts by folks (on this site & others) who seem to be discarding/ignoring the "non"-official EU, in favor of the "official" EU - which I think is ridiculous...

S%$#@! Disney - they can't tell me what is or isn't official...

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you enjoy the comics/novels, then read/enjoy them without worrying about whether or not they're "official". I have seen posts (on this site & others) who seem to be discarding/ignoring the "non"-official EU, in favor of the "official" EU - which I think is ridiculous...

S%$#@! Disney - they can't tell me what is or isn't official...
Enjoying the non-official stuff is fine, but Lucasfilm has laid out a clear guideline on what is official to make things easier going forward, and it's pretty simple: the movies, TCW, Rebels, future TV shows & films, Marvel's new comics, Dark Horse's Son of Dathomir miniseries (based on unused TCW material), all books following "A New Dawn", and short stories published in SW Insider beginning with Part 1 of Blade Squadron.

If someone wanted to know what happens between ANH & ESB, it's simple in the new canon: read Marvel's new Star Wars series, the new Vader series, and the new Leia mini-series. With the old Legends stuff, you'd have to tell them to read Marvel's old Star Wars run, Dark Horse's EMPIRE and REBELLION comics, Dark Horse's Brian Wood Star Wars run, the old Classic Star Wars newspaper strips... and then you'd need a guide on what was & wasn't considered 'in-continuity' from all of those stories, and detailed timelines to figure out when they all took place.

Telling someone to read post-ROTJ books & comics as if they're still the official story would likely just confuse them when TFA arrives and hints at a history very different from the one chronicled in the Bantam SW books and Del Rey's NJO/Dark Nest/LOTF books.

Each person is free to conceive their own canon from the available materials... but don't confuse the issue for other people who want to know the official Lucasfilm canon as it currently stands.

Reaction score
Well, the bottom line is it's up to each person to decide for themselves what they want to do/believe re: the SW EU. People shouldn't be confused by my post - that wasn't my intention. I'm just talking about what I like & don't like - I'm not trying to tell anyone else what to do, since I honestly don't care.

Note I am not collecting the new Marvel SW comics or any forthcoming Marvel SW comics or novels. I'm only interested in the older EU.

Here's an interesting article which seems to shed more light on this - for those who consider Disney the be all & end all of what is or isn't SW "Canon" from now on:

A Brief History Of Star Wars Canon, Old And New

The problem I have with this whole "canon" and "non-canon" deal is that a lot of stories that I grew up with (in my childhood & young adulthood) and enjoyed in the past, are now relegated to "it never happened" status by Disney. Well, I'm not going to be forced to ignore these stories....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hanging out in a room with shelves full of stuff I
My only issue really is with the comics, calling it all canon to...

I saw some of the previews of comics to come and read SW#1 and i'm not impressed. The main Star Wars line is dipping it's big toe in and for it's effort I'll give it a solid B grade for it .....

But some stuff just from the previews like having Darth Vader show up to negotiate with Jabba the Hutt at his Tatooine palace is a bit... iffy in respects to the original character methods. I can see it going downhill fast in the comics side of things... people love marvel... I used to. Then the 90's happened. So i'll wait and see what happens... maybe it'll be better then I expect.

Reaction score
My only issue really is with the comics, calling it all canon to...

I saw some of the previews of comics to come and read SW#1 and i'm not impressed. The main Star Wars line is dipping it's big toe in and for it's effort I'll give it a solid B grade for it .....

But some stuff just from the previews like having Darth Vader show up to negotiate with Jabba the Hutt at his Tatooine palace is a bit... iffy in respects to the original character methods. I can see it going downhill fast in the comics side of things... people love marvel... I used to. Then the 90's happened. So i'll wait and see what happens... maybe it'll be better then I expect.
I liked the 1977-1986 Marvel Star Wars series, even the later issues (many with great art by Cynthia Martin). Excellent - and it's still my favorite SW comic series, with many of the Dark Horse SW series close behind...

However, IMHO Marvel has gone downhill since the 200X's. Though I buy a lot of their reprints from the '60's - '90's, I don't like any of their post-2000 comics. So, I will not be collecting this new Marvel SW series, even when it gets collected in Trades. I have no interest in trying to follow an entirely new continuity...

Last edited:
Reaction score
What, so am I supposed to let LFL tell me when I can go to the bathroom as well?
No thanks, I'll decide what I like. And what I want to be Canon.

It's fine, they own SW and can do what they want with it. It's always been this way, which is why the Canon was so messed up like it is/was. I'm fine if they want to sew some things together for a better cohesive storyline. But I'm not about to give up on certain characters I have enjoyed over the years, as if they never existed!

Reaction score
Here's the thing... if someone has a question about something SW-related, pertaining to the canon, Legends-based answers are useless. I see it happen every day on Facebook when the SW page posts something, or other pages post SW-related things. Like, they'll post about Wedge, and EU-fans like myself--but who haven't heard about the April press release or willfully ignore it--will hop in and say "You forgot to mention that he did this, that, and the other thing"... except in the canon universe, he didn't. Wedge isn't the leader of Rogue Squadron right now... he was the leader of Red Group in the Battle of Endor, and part of Rogue Group in the Battle of Hoth. Beyond that, his activities after (and before) ANH are a blank slate. Or someone will post the Stormtrooper Wookieepedia page as evidence that they're a mix of recruits and clones of new templates and degraded "Xerox of a Xerox" Nth-generation clones of Jango clones, ignoring that the Wookieepedia page they linked is on the "Legends" tab, not the "Canon" tab.

If someone asks "What really happens between ESB and ROTJ?" the most accurate answer is "Luke builds a new lightsaber and sets in motion his plan to rescue Han."

No Xizor, no skyhooks, no Chewie-with-a-flat-top, no Dash Rendar... none of that, for now at least. We may get a remake of SOTE. We may get something completely different set in that time. We may instead get some CliffsNotes summary of events in SW Insider that describe much of what happens in SOTE, leaving out anything that seems too silly <coughSNOOVADISGUISEcough> or clashes with current canon (and I imagine there are numerous examples between the storylines of the game, the comics, and the book), giving us a 'canon' SOTE without making 'the novel SOTE itself, written by not-the-singer-from-Journey' canon.

GNT

Reaction score
What, so am I supposed to let LFL tell me when I can go to the bathroom as well?
No thanks, I'll decide what I like. And what I want to be Canon.

It's fine, they own SW and can do what they want with it. It's always been this way, which is why the Canon was so messed up like it is/was. I'm fine if they want to sew some things together for a better cohesive storyline. But I'm not about to give up on certain characters I have enjoyed over the years, as if they never existed!
The good thing about having a clean slate is that Disney can bring in all these characters people used to love eg Dash Rendar for example in a new way and then they can become canon going forward. It's just that their past stories don't really exist in the new universe.

Reaction score
Well, IMHO Disney may lose some of the it's former EU fanbase (me being one example) by dictating what are "Legends", "Canon", etc. I bought the Paperback of Darth Plaugeis by James Luceno last December, and didn't like that it had the Legends banner. I would have preferred to have bought the 2012 HC of the novel - without the Legends banner - but couldn't find that since it came out 2 years before (even @ Half Price Books).

This heavy-handed attitude is one of the reasons why I'm not collecting any of the 2015-on EU comics & novels. Also, I didn't like the fact that DH lost the SW comic license - since I thought they did a stellar job with the franchise for 20+ years...The comic franchise going back to Marvel was for purely financial reasons, since Disney owns Marvel...completely understandable, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. IMHO, Marvel hasn't produced a decent comic since the '90's...

Here's the thing... if someone has a question about something SW-related, pertaining to the canon, Legends-based answers are useless. I see it happen every day on Facebook when the SW page posts something, or other pages post SW-related things. Like, they'll post about Wedge, and EU-fans like myself--but who haven't heard about the April press release or willfully ignore it--will hop in and say "You forgot to mention that he did this, that, and the other thing"... except in the canon universe, he didn't.
Yes - again, this just further proves my point. This is too much to keep track of. I'll take the 1978-1986 or the 1991-2014?! EU any day over this new nonsense...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Too much to keep track of? Seriously? It's simple: movies, TCW/Rebels/new TV shows, new books post-AND, Son of Dathomir, new Marvel comics, and new SW Insider short-stories.

The old way was messy. There were retcons all over the place to make things fit. There were two Dark Horse attempts at covering "between ANH & ESB" that were wholly divorced from each other. There were bad decisions like Dark Horse's "Rebellion" in general (Rebel commandos shouldn't be dressed like SHIELD agents).

As for Marvel, "All New X-Men" has been a lot of fun. Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run was pretty great, even if I did get tired of Breakworld pretty early on. Superior Spider-Man was a good run. GOTG was a lot of fun, and still is pretty fun even if they're forcing a lot of the movie look & attitude into the book. Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Hawkeye (so I hear, anyway), etc... they've put out a lot of good stuff in the last decade+.

Go get yourself a used copy of pre-Legends Darth Plagueis if you're really that upset about the banner on the cover. It's still just as non-canon to the new era as the rest. I'm glad we're getting new movies...we wouldn't have been able to with the old EU incorporated as canon, not without cutting it off at some arbitrary point and saying something like "Okay, Fate of the Jedi and Legacy are now non-canon" making a further mess of the continuity. At least now we don't have to pretend Asajj Ventress returns to Sith service a month before ROTS with some cybernetic implants and gets left for dead by Obi-Wan & Anakin. At least we don't have to try to No Prize how Bariss Offee could turn against the Jedi and the Republic in TCW while being loyal in the books.

The EU was falling apart before Disney even got ahold of it, because George & Dave didn't follow every little thing outlined in it (Adi Gallia's death, Even Piell's death, Eeth Koth's death, etc). I'm glad they'll have a cohesive story moving forward, not just creating things willy-nilly hoping they'll fit with the next movie. I'm sure I won't like everything the new canon does, but it's better than the mess we had in the '90s and the backpedaling of the early-2000s.

Reaction score
I guess we can agree to disagree, which is fine - to each their own. It's actually a blessing in disguise to me that Disney has taken over the franchise & instituted what's "canon" & "Legends", since I easily choose to ignore any EU SW that Disney has a hand in - that way, I save $ by not buying anything new & don't need to try to start following an entirely new continuity.

I'm also somewhat indifferent re: the forthcoming ST, which is another reason I'm not a big fan of the new EU...though I am watching Rebels, even though I don't really like the animation.....

The "Legends" banner on the Darth Plagueis novel is not a huge deal to me; I would have preferred the HC since I like HC's over PB's anyway - more durable, and the paper quality is superior. However, I was not able to find one @ the used bookstore I went to, and I don't want to buy this @ the exorbitant price Amazon.com is asking ($114, I just looked) - sure, I know I can get it for a less expensive price somewhere else online, but I don't want to bother looking. Plus, I don't like buying things online anyway, since you can't see the condition before you get this. So, unless I can find this HC used @ a store, I will settle for the PB - this is acceptable, since the text & cover are the same as the HC.

Also, just as the TFA line will probably be the cutting-off point for me re: collecting possibly all future SW toys, the new EU is definitely the cutting-off point for me re: collecting new SW novels & comics. I stopped collecting floppies (i.e., individual comics) in late 2014, and never looked back. I have plenty of the Star Wars Dark Horse comics that I have (but still haven't read), as well as a ton of stuff to re-read....

There is also literally a plethora of SW novels that I've never read - none of which are considered "canon" by Disney...I will focus on slowly reading some of this older material - %$^% the new stuff...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree, I thought DH did a fine job. Loved some of those stories! I think what I fear the most, is the abolishing of KotOR era. Or what Disney might do to it if ever used again.
As well as some of the post ROTJ characters I liked, no longer valid. Sure names may be re-purposed, which is a nice homage. But it's not the same thing in the end.

Reaction score
According to GL, not even GL is canon anymore. They completely disregarded his Ep7 outline.

Reaction score
According to GL, not even GL is canon anymore. They completely disregarded his Ep7 outline.
He likely exaggerated that, considering he only saw the reader shortly before that statement and hasn't seen anything else of the film. Seems unlikely an 88-second teaser could prove NOTHING of his treatments remained.

Reaction score
But, GL has never really been Canon. Sure everything that showed up in the movies, he considered Canon. But even he went back and forth so much, that creating a Canon would be quite a chore!

Reaction score
Getting back to the OT, I do like Shadows of the Empire & feel it should be considered "canon", especially since it tries to streamline the year?!-long events that took place between ESB & ROTJ.

The original Marvel SW comics were great, and are still some of my favorite comic book EU out there. That being said, the continuity between ESB & ROTJ was haphazard. Sure, I understand that they had to put together almost three years?! worth of stories between 1980 & 1983, so they had to create something - however, it seemed pretty self-explanatory that if Luke & Lando said "I'll meet you on Tattoine" at the end of ESB, that the stories should be leading up to that. That also being said, it wouldn't have worked to have the journey to Tattoine taking three years, hence all of the adventures that Luke, Lando, & Leia had in these comics. Also, these post-ESB & pre-ROTJ comics were, in many cases, the highlight of the Marvel series....

Again, this all goes back to the inherent problem I have with Disney re-doing the entire continuity - a lot of EU that I liked & that made sense in the context of the films - is now null and void....

Reaction score
The old Marvel comics were effectively null and void the moment HTTE hit bookshelves. It was only several years later that LFL decided to try to placate Marvel fans by saying "it ALL happened...mostly..if it doesn't conflict with the movies or with anything Banyan or Dark Horse or LucasArts have published since then."

Reaction score
It's a real shame that they decided to do away with all the EU stories. I could see why they wanted to start off after ROTJ with a clean slate, but they should have left everything going on before ANH alone. More importantly, anything Lucasarts did should have been left as canon. Bastila, Malgus, Revan should have been left alone.

I wonder how this will effect the value EU figures/ toy's though. Anyone have any speculation on this?

GNT

Reaction score
It's a real shame that they decided to do away with all the EU stories. I could see why they wanted to start off after ROTJ with a clean slate, but they should have left everything going on before ANH alone. More importantly, anything Lucasarts did should have been left as canon. Bastila, Malgus, Revan should have been left alone.

I wonder how this will effect the value EU figures/ toy's though. Anyone have any speculation on this?
Value isn't important, I'm not collecting with future resale in mind. It's all about enjoyment so money is of no value.

A clean slate was needed, it means nothing is bogged down by something someone was written. Disney can fill in gaps at some point and the old EU characters could turn up other stories.