Is OTC sandcrawler worth it?

Reaction score
I have heard mixed things about it, and my local hobby shop has one (they bought it online), it costs 35.99 USD, is this a good price?

Any comments are welcome.

Reaction score
$35.99 isn't bad considering they were selling last year for $60-$70 in specialty stores. However I got one earlier this year for $40 and I wished I had payed less. No electronics and distinguishing features from the original would put it at about $25-$30 imho. Awesome paint job though.

Reaction score
I got mine for $39.99 when it was released. I thought it could have been cheaper but worth it.

gMt

Reaction score
Was it worth what I paid for it? No. Are any of these toys worth the insane $$$ we pay for them, though? Probably not.

Still, I love my Sandcrawler. It looks awesome on my shelf with all the Jawas, droids and Owen and Luke in front of it. Sure, it's a little out of scale, but it's now one of my favorite parts of my displays.

Reaction score
I found mine last year at a Hastings, 60 marked down to 50. I figured that would be better than paying online + shipping, so I got it. Finally my 25 odd Jawas have somewhere to play. It may have cost a bit much, but I too am glad to have one, and I like the paint deco on the outside.

Reaction score
No, I have almost everything from the 3 3/4 line and this will never find a place in my collection. I was looking forward to this when it was announced and when I saw it at Wizard World it became an instant no. Very cheap in my opinion and not worth more than 10 bucks if that.

Reaction score
After waiting 8 months to get this I finally talked my local hobby shop to sell me their last one for $45. I could have gotten it for $40 including shipping on-line if I had ordered it when it first came out. Is it the best vehicle in the line? No. But is it fun to look at and play with? Yes. I don't care if it is out of scale, it still is a nice toy to have. Especially since they are getting harder and harder to locate.

Reaction score
out of no where i saw one of these at a Hot Topic of all places today very strange and very expensive very over priced. its was priced at $66.99

Reaction score
well i only bought mine because i am a droid fan and wanted the silver sandcrawler droid.
well the droid in mine isnt silver at all, hes more of a brassy coppery dull translucent color.

so that made me mad, i found you can very easily rub the black finish off of the black deathstar droid, and t is a lovely silver finish.
so why couldnt they do this right?

but i dopnt get your question, you see what it is a small but cool very out of scale crawler using the same mold as the old one.
do you want that?
is it worth that to you?
i remember them being 50 us, so i guess that not a bad price.
the 2 jawas are the same 2 jawas.
and the droid is a simple and bad repaint.
so your just getting it really for the vehicle.

i think its cool. ggod luck

Reaction score
I bought this for my buddy for Christmas and I am an MIB collector which would be a great pick up. If your a losse collector then the problems with the paint on the one figure is maybe not the best buy. I just wish I would have bought one at C3 for 40 bucks. ToyNK was selling them cheap!!

Reaction score
I think its totally worth it. 3 figures plus one of the coolest SW vehicles in existence? You can track these down for $50 and they are definitely worth it IMO.

Reaction score
For $35.00, I would buy two of them

Yes, I think they are worth the price. As one person stated, you get three figures and a pretty cool vehicle. The lack of electronics does hurt, but Hasbro is on the cheap side these days. I have one loose with an army of jawas and droids and the other in the package. Hope you get one..

Jason West

Uttini
"ONE BAD JAWA BOUNTY HUNTER".

Wanted: Jawas of any kind.
Jawa Collection Pics

Reaction score
I was ripped off by my comic shop, $60. I think they should have been $30 at the most.

Reaction score
I'm totally biased here, but I say, "Yes!"

You have to understand that for years and years, this was "dream toy." The modern re-issue of a vintage classic that I could never afford. The coveted ship that was denied me as a child by grandparents opting instead for the land of the jawas. . .

Over the years it was rumoured. Then cancelled. Rumoured once again. Then cancelled!

Finally, to my tremendous relief it arrived a long last and it was definitely worth the wait. Yes, it's small. But the mold has killer detail that is still totally amazing. It truly looks like something ILM just might leave on your doorstep. And it makes for a neat display with R1-G4 to be sure.

Also, I really like what they did with the battery compartment. The storage area is a billion times cooler than the "movie accurate" feature in the Falcon. It's fun to hide Artoo and Threepio from the Sandtroopers during an EU raid.

My advice: Do you like the Sandcrawler in the films? Did you always think it was a classic design? Did you enjoy the vintage toys? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then do yourself a favor and treat yourself to one of the more unique toys in the Star Wars universe. Regret it, you won't.

Reaction score
My story is similar. I almost got the original as a kid at the Woolco up the street from our house, but it was the only one and the box had been opened. The boxed had been opened and my mom didn't want to get it because it might have been missing parts or been messed up(memory is fuzzyon that point...maybe the battery compartment door was missing?) Never saw another one after that.

I paid $50 for the new one and would happily do so again.

E>

Reaction score
It is not the dream Sandcrawler that a lot of people were wanting. Folks wanted a new one that was a bit better to scale. For me I like it. There was no way I was going to shell out the secondary market price for this vehicle. I grew up with the vintage toys but never got the Sandcrawler as a kid.

I really like the paint job on this. That's one factor that really sold me on it. Plus you do get 3 figures. I would have liked to have seen an R5-D4 in it but maybe that will come later. Plus, I think we were kind of lucky that this one even got a retailer to take it. It's as good as we are going to get to a "new" Sandcrawler. They are not ever going to make a "new" one.

Reaction score
ya id say thats a great price. considering my local hastings has it priced for 50 bucks... i sure hope its still here when my birthday comes.

Reaction score
Darth_Broem said:
Elmeaux said:
Darth_Broem said:
It's as good as we are going to get to a "new" Sandcrawler. They are not ever going to make a "new" one.
We'll all just have to get one of these Sandcrawlers in the meantime.

(i found this link on the customizing forum)
Hey! It's just $3000 for it. LOL!
That is a good custom. Hey, Broem. Wait 'till you see Ares post up more pics of his custom Sandcrawler. Now that is impressive.

Reaction score
Im trying to find out where to buy it for cheap, Any suggestions?

Reaction score
You're best bet is eBay. You could go to a local comic book store and see if they can order it directly from Diamond. But small orders of this are $45 US wholesale from Diamond so I doubt you'll get it cheaper than that.

Reaction score
ITs way over priced and doesn't really do anything but I am glad I have got a Sandcrawler in my collection.

I suggest you buy it because it will most likley become fairly hard to come by at a later date.

Reaction score
I just got mine from Case Fresh today. I paid about $45 shipped of which $20 were shipping costs.

I like it. The paint job is very cool. I have one question though, does the side ramp go all the way down? I can't tell from the hinge mechanism and I don't want to break anything. The side ramp door is about 1/4 of an inch off the ground when down.

Reaction score
eleavitt2000 said:
I have one question though, does the side ramp go all the way down? I can't tell from the hinge mechanism and I don't want to break anything. The side ramp door is about 1/4 of an inch off the ground when down.
Mine does the same thing. A little disappointing, but not a bad vehicle overall.

Reaction score
I'm still trying to find one at a decent price. I agree that it is not woth the price tag or the secondary market value. I wish I would have got one when they were clearanced at Spencer's.

Reaction score
TRU Germany currently has the OTC Sandcrawler for 40 € per package.

Me, I'm not really interested ... in the Droid, yes, but not in the vehicle ... The Jawas are so-so, not sure about them.

Reaction score
The Sandcrawler is based on the Vintage Radio Controlled Jawa Sandcrawler, except this time it has a brand new paint job and is missing the electronics.
# Both Jawas were originally available as POTF2 Jawas.
# RA-7 is based on the POTF2 Death Star Droid, except now he's got a different paint job and a new name. And no Mouse Droid.

OTC Sandcrawler

Price: $60.00 SRP, actual price $45.00 MIB *

Vintage Sandcrawler

Price: $30.00 SRP, actual price $100 Non-MIB complete *

* These averages prices are from completed auctions on Ebay

Reaction score
I say get it! The vintage Sandcrawler was a toy I always wanted and never had, so I was really excited when this one came out.

Reaction score
I saw an OTC Sandcrawler in a collectible shop a few days ago. I couldn't believe my luck! -That is, untill I saw the price... £50

Reaction score
This is still, after all this time, one of my favorite pieces. The OTC Sandcrawler is just the one toy I never seem to get tired of. Its retro-cool lustre. . . somehow never dims or tarnishes.

Reaction score
MARK2D2 said:
This is still, after all this time, one of my favorite pieces. The OTC Sandcrawler is just the one toy I never seem to get tired of. Its retro-cool lustre. . . somehow never dims or tarnishes.
Wow, I think it's one of the worst SW toys every made.

Reaction score
The OTC Sandcrawler is awesome. Love it.

But...it was ridiculously overpriced. No electronics. Didn't even have stickers in the cockpit. Wutsup widdat?

Reaction score
gMt said:
Sure, it's a little out of scale, but it's now one of my favorite parts of my displays.

A "little" out of scale? A "little" out of scale????

Boy, that was the biggest understated miscalculation since General Custer said, "Over that hill... I think they're friendly Indians."

Given the fact that it doesn't roll on any wheels, can only hold one Jawa at the controls, and that less than two years ago, an Imperial Shuttle went for about the same price, I'd say this Sandcrawler is somewhat overpriced.

Yeah, this vehicle did not really work for me. That is why when it came to a Sandcrawler for my collection I, chose to go... another way.