Is Medicom Vader better than Sideshow Vader?

Reaction score
A few days ago, Medicom released their 1/6th scale Darth Vader figure in Japan. Now, after seeing pictures of it on various message boards, I think that this Medicom figure looks better than the 1/4th scale Sideshow statue. Now I realize that these things are different sizes and are based on different versions of Vader but I feel that the Medicom version is closer to its source material than the Sideshow one is to its movie version. Plus, the Medicom version is $150 cheaper and has loads of articulation.

So, what do ya'll think? Do you like the Medicom version or the Sideshow version better?

Here are links to threads with pictures of the Medicom 1/6th scale Darth Vader figure:

http://www.toysdaily.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9790

AND...

http://www.toysdaily.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9793

Here is a link to the Sideshow Darth Vader:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/....cgi?item=71171

ump

Reaction score
i have got the 2 x medicom vader's on yesterday,it's very beautiful and very details,teh best 12 " vader ever!!!
about the SS vader's ,it's look like a "big size"12" action figure.the medicom is the best one!!

ump

Reaction score
one more thing,in hong kong,retail price is just about us$150.woow!!

Reaction score
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Do you like the Medicom version or the Sideshow version better?

[/QUOTE]

i think it's very difficult to compair them. one is an action figure, the other is a statue with clothes on it. why not add the kotobuykia figure and the gentle giant statue in as well?

personally i like the medicom version best, as i collect 12 inch action figures, but the sideshow, gentle giant, and koto statues are awesome pieces. if i collected statues, i'd definately get them.

Reaction score
The Sideshow Vader BLOWS the tiny 12" Medicom Vader toy out of the water.

Reaction score
Silly question: Does the Medicom Vader have a light system in the saber to illuminate it.. or is that just some fans Paintshop modifications in the forum pics?

Reaction score
Go to www.sideshowtoys.com and check out the new updated pics of their Vader. As much as I like the Medicom figure, the SS Vader is going to blow it and everything else out of the water(including the Attakus statues).

Reaction score
Brent72 said:
Go to www.sideshowtoys.com and check out the new updated pics of their Vader. As much as I like the Medicom figure, the SS Vader is going to blow it and everything else out of the water(including the Attakus statues).
It will be better than the Medicom and maybe GG. the Attakus stills much better looking and not mixed media like the sideshow. sideshow vader looks like a doll

Reaction score
EvilSith said:
Brent72 said:
It will be better than the Medicom and maybe GG. the Attakus stills much better looking and not mixed media like the sideshow. sideshow vader looks like a doll
I couldn't disagree more. The new pics of the SS Vader are absolutely perfect IMO and I think it's going to be much more impressive than even the Attakus statues(especially Attakus #2).

Reaction score
Brent72 said:
EvilSith said:
Brent72 said:
I couldn't disagree more. The new pics of the SS Vader are absolutely perfect IMO and I think it's going to be much more impressive than even the Attakus statues(especially Attakus #2).
perfect? lol.... far from perfect.... looks like a doll. the cape it's too long and ugly, the hands are bad positioned and weird. and the mask seems off to me... ahhh, his legs are bad positioned also. both gg and attakus vader's looks much better

Reaction score
EvilSith said:
perfect? lol.... far from perfect.... looks like a doll. the cape it's too long and ugly, the hands are bad positioned and weird. and the mask seems off to me... ahhh, his legs are bad positioned also. both gg and attakus vader's looks much better

Whatever floats your boat, dude. We'll see which one looks the best when the SS is released and sitting right next to all of the others. My money is on the SS blowing them all out of the water. By the way, have you even seen the new pics of the SS yet or are you just going on those old photos of the prototype?

Reaction score
Brent72 said:
EvilSith said:

Whatever floats your boat, dude. We'll see which one looks the best when the SS is released and sitting right next to all of the others. My money is on the SS blowing them all out of the water. By the way, have you even seen the new pics of the SS yet or are you just going on those old photos of the prototype?
yes..the new pictures... many people I know also didn't like it...my money is on the attakus and gg

Reaction score
Attakus can take their overpriced items and stuff 'em.

I'll stick with Sideshow, GG, Medicom, and Koto thank you.

Reaction score
EvilSith said:
yes..the new pictures... many people I know also didn't like it...my money is on the attakus and gg

Well, I have the GG and while it's very nice I still think the Sideshow is going to blow it out of the water. As for Attakus, I agree that their first Vader was near perfect, but I never cared for #2 mainly because of the horrible pose. I still stand by my statement that when the SS is finally released and sitting next to all the other Vader statues it's going to be the best looking one of all. We'll know in a few months.

Reaction score
Honestly, each statue is going to have their strengths and weaknesses.

The Medicom, IMO, has a nice sculpt. great articulation and features a removable mask - all for around $150.

The Sideshow version, as usual, looked a little iffy at first, but over time, we've seen what appears to be a better sculpt and improved pictures. Unless you were at CIII or have had another chance to look at the prototype, I think, however, it's too early to make a sound judgement or critique. As good as Sideshow's pics are, I still haven't seen too many shots that give a good indication on how good this statue has the potential to be.

Reaction score
I agree with a previous post and am getting both a Medicom and Sideshow Vader. The updated sideshow pictures are quite stunning- I think they nailed it. (I have a full size vader costume, so I'm a stickler for detail)
As somebody pointed out, the sideshow's cloth looks similiar to a doll's. Well, unfortunately cloth in minature does not behave like its full size counterpart-thanks to fiber size, gravity & mass. So, I think Sideshow is definitely doing the best they can do on this one. I still think they have done a great job with the cloth and everything else looks good. And yes, I would choose real cloth over a hard sculpt of cloth because it is the closest thing to the actual movie. I do think SS may need to raise his chest box a bit. I am very interested to see how convincing the internal lighting system (chestbox/belt boxes/saber) will be on the sideshow. It would be great if his chestbox blinked like in the movie.
Since both the Sideshow & Medicom items are really great, I choose to own both! You'll have a ANH version and a ESB/ROTJ version. I'm a little disappointed the release date of the Sideshow has been pushed back to 4th qtr, but if they make it even better, well it will worth the wait! And I can't wait for the Medicom, which should be arriving sometime this month.

Reaction score
I just realized that the ANH vader didn't have a blinking chest box - but I hope SS will take poetic license and make it blink like the ESB/ROTJ vader. Does anyone know if the medicom vader actually has lit chestbox/belt boxes? I thought it was only the saber. On the japanese forum that someone mentioned in this thread, the Vader looked like it had a lit chest box and belt boxes. But, it might just be a Photoshop enhancement. Anyway, the Medicom looks absolutely stunning also! Can't wait to have him in my hands!

Reaction score
DarthSaber said:
I just realized that the ANH vader didn't have a blinking chest box - but I hope SS will take poetic license and make it blink like the ESB/ROTJ vader. Does anyone know if the medicom vader actually has lit chestbox/belt boxes? I thought it was only the saber. On the japanese forum that someone mentioned in this thread, the Vader looked like it had a lit chest box and belt boxes. But, it might just be a Photoshop enhancement. Anyway, the Medicom looks absolutely stunning also! Can't wait to have him in my hands!
I don't think the Medicom Vader has anything that lights up. You may have it confused with Hurricane's custom Vader figure that features a lit saber and chest/belt boxes.

Reaction score
DarthSaber said:
Nothing on the Medicom Vader lights up. All pictures that show a lit up chest box or saber are just photoshopped.

Now I do think that all of the statues look great, but I do prefer the Medicom figure, mostly because because of its doll-like characteristics. If it didn't have such an accurate likeness of Vader then I don't think it could be compared with the statues. However, sincs it does look better than any basic doll of Vader then I think it can be compared.

The main reason i like it is that it looks like a nice replica Of the Vader costume AND I can change the pose whenever I like. This leaves many more display oppurtunities.

If I had to rank the various Darth Vader statues (and I will include Medicom Vader even though its not a statue) then it would go like this:

1: Medicom Vader--

Pros--Its has an excellent representation of the ESB/ROTJ suit,Its really poseable. I can display it with any other 1/6th scale Star Wars item. It is decently priced compared to other high end Darth Vader collectibles.

Cons--It is more of a doll than a statue and as such doesn't garner as much respect by some. The Jedi Luke fig is arguably not as nice so there is no other figure of the same quality to pair it with (though the Marmit figures aren't half bad). Nothing on the figure lights up. The armor is made of plastic and I doubt that the materials on the cloting will be as nice as that of Sideswhow's statue

2: Attakus Vader #1

Pros--Great sculpt. Unbelievable pose that really captures Vader well. It really looks and feels like a piece of art.

Cons--The price...I would have to sell a kidney to own one. I just want the most accurate representation of Vader so the fact that it doesn't use mixed media is a small problem for me.

3: Sideshow Vader

Pros: Decent likeness. Uses mixed media which makes it feel more accurate. The size helps it will probably make it have a real presence in any collection...as any good Vader collectible should. Paired with the Obi-wan makes for an awesome centerpiece. Cheaper than Attakus. It is the only product in the group to be based on Vader's ANH suit. It lights up.

Cons: The helmet sculpt is off...even with the newer pictures. You need Obi-Wan to bring out the statue's full potential. While cheaper than the Attakus statue it is still a little pricey (hey, I'm poor).

4: Gentle Giant Vader

Pros: Looks good. It is cheap compared to the other statues. Goes well with other Gentle Giant products. Is the only statue to be based on ROTS Vader (I don't care how many times GG says that it is amalgam of Vader's suits, it IS the ROTS Vader in both suit and pose).

Cons: It looks alot cheaper than the attakus statues. It just doesn't seem as high-end as the other products. The pose is arguabley not the best.

5: Attakus Vader #2

Pros: Good sculpt. Looks and feels like a high-end collectible.

Cons: Bad pose. WAY too expensive--the combination of those two cons are enough to make it last choice in my book

Reaction score
"Cons: It looks alot cheaper than the attakus statues. It just doesn't seem as high-end as the other products. The pose is arguabley not the best."

Bull#$%^. The only reason you people (well, a small selection of people.. but "you people" sounds better
) say it looks cheap is because YOU KNOW ITS THE LEAST EXPENSIVE. If this was the first time you saw it and it had an Attakus or Sideshow label (along with the associated price) and you would be offering up your first born for it. I have the Gentle Giant sitting in my living room. I have not seen the Medicom in person, so I will not comment. Its also not fair to talk about the sideshow til actual consumer versions hit the streets (yes, the prototype pics look nice, but much could happen between now and 4th quarter '05.) However, I have seen the 2 Attakus in person. And, as far as I am concerned, other than height (the GG is much smaller), the items looks of equal quality and craftsmanship. The GG also has the best pose of the 3. While Attakus Vader 1 look nice, I want an action pose with saber drawn, not the annual Imperial Parade day version. And Attakus Vader 2 looks horrible.. the saber location ruins the whole thing. But, back on topic, the GG is very high quality. People who like to throw money around.. or at the very least pretend.. love to assume the cheap item is the worst. It doesn't always work like that. And while this is all just one man's opinion, I feel confident in my belief.

You serve a 99 cent can of cat food at a luxury party, and tell them its 50 dollars an ounce duck liver pate. 9 out of 10 "socialites" will be telling you how "marvelous" the appetizers were... just cause they think its expensive.

Reaction score
I didn't say the GG Vader looked cheap. I said it looked cheap compared to the attakus Vader.

Thinking about it, cheap may not have been the best word to use but I do think that the Attakus Vader elicits more of a "WOW" from people, whether they be hardcore fans are even non-collectors. Actually, probably moreso with Attakus Vader #1 than #2.

I think this is the case for a variety of reasons. I think that the Attakus sculpt looks cleaner than the GG sculpt. The GG sculpt looks a little too busy.

The choice that GG made to base the statue on all of the different Vader suits instead of one specific version really hurts the GG statue. They mostly used parts from the ROTS suit but it is different enough to keep it from really feeling like a completely accurate ROTS Vader statue. I mean, the helmet on the statue doesn't look bad at all but it sure the heck ain't the ROTS helmet, nor is it a helmet from any of the other movies. For me, this takes away from the statue as I want an accurate representation of Vader when I pay that much money. If I want "close enough" I will buy a Hasbro action figure.

And the pose on the GG statue...it does look good from certain angles. However, some angles make the way he's holding that lightsabe look kinda awkward.

When I look at Attakus Vader #1 I see what I think is a wonderful representation of Vader. I think the pose is perfect. Most of the time in the Star Wars movies, Vader isn't doing a dramatic action pose. He's standing around or marching forward. That what makes Vader so cool. Just by standing there, his presence is imposing and threatening.

Now saying all this, I would be more likely buy the GG Vader than the Attakus Vader. Even if I wasn't as poor as I am. I just couldn't justify spending that much on one statue. And even though I like the Attakus Statue better, the GG one isn't all bad. I have considered buying it before and if Medicom Vader didn't come out then I probably would have.

I don't think I have a preference for the expensive stuff just because it is expensive. I think that the human Attakus statues don't look so hot and I wonder how they can get away with charging so much when the sculpt isn't all that great. Also, my favorite of all the Darth vader collectibles is the Medicom Vader. That figure isn't much more expensive than the GG Vader. If someone gave me the choice of owning either the Medicom Vader or the Attakus Vader, I would chose the Medicom one, hands down.

Reaction score
Well, while you guys are busy beating the "cyber snot" out of each other over which is better, I think I'll buy the GG statue, Medicom figure, Koto model and the Sideshow statue. They all look good to me. The only reason I don't buy the Attakus statues as well, is the cost. I can't justify a statue that's almost my mortgage payment, no matter how good it looks. Maybe someday, but not right now. I already have the GG statue, looks great. Three more to go.

ump

Reaction score
hope everybady have a chance to see teh medicom vader and attakus vaders personally....,a lot of people only see it by pictures and never have a change to own it....so,when we say this one is gopod,or this one is bad(like a toys expert!) or compare anything together,plaese see it personally first,if not,it's meaningless...

Reaction score
theogriz said:
Also, my favorite of all the Darth vader collectibles is the Medicom Vader. That figure isn't much more expensive than the GG Vader. If someone gave me the choice of owning either the Medicom Vader or the Attakus Vader, I would chose the Medicom one, hands down.
Give me a break. Medicom Vader looks like a cheap toy and it's almost laughable. It looks terribly off. The legs are long, the custome doesn't looks real, the helmet it's a joke and the tiny size doesn't do it any good either. This poor thing screams cheap. It's a doll, and overpriced for what it is. No thanks. This toy doesn't have any chance in my collection. To compare this toy with the Attakus Vaders it's like comparing a Kia with a Ferrari. Medicom doesn't even look better than the Koto Vaders. It doesn't come close to the Attakus, Gente Giant and Sideshow Vaders. So don't try to make it looking like something it isn't just cause you bought it and can't afford the better ones. Go back to the 12" toy forum to play with your little doll.

Reaction score
EvilSith said:
theogriz said:
Also, my favorite of all the Darth vader collectibles is the Medicom Vader. That figure isn't much more expensive than the GG Vader. If someone gave me the choice of owning either the Medicom Vader or the Attakus Vader, I would chose the Medicom one, hands down.
Give me a break. Medicom Vader looks like a cheap toy and it's almost laughable. It looks terribly off. The legs are long, the custome doesn't looks real, the helmet it's a joke and the tiny size doesn't do it any good either. This poor thing screams cheap. It's a doll, and overpriced for what it is. No thanks. This toy doesn't have any chance in my collection. To compare this toy with the Attakus Vaders it's like comparing a Kia with a Ferrari. Medicom doesn't even look better than the Koto Vaders. It doesn't come close to the Attakus, Gente Giant and Sideshow Vaders. So don't try to make it looking like something it isn't just cause you bought it and can't afford the better ones. Go back to the 12" toy forum to play with your little doll.
Okay, I didn't agree with theo, but being an [censored] doesn't help your opinion sith. At the very least, theo provided some reasoning behind his beliefs. All you did was show you don't "play well with others." One too many swirlies in grade school.. is that it?