Is it just me or that I see less and less of old Star Wars Kenner figures at comic book shops?

Reaction score
Dunno if its just me that notices this whenever I go to the comic book shop that I go to once in awhile every few months but the glass cabinet that has the loose old Kenner Star Wars figures and old G.I. Joe figures that Ive been seeing less and less of those figures.

People that are rich that buy up the good stuff or that the people that work at the comic shop take certain figures/toys and sell them off at flea markets or whatever?

Reaction score
I don't think they circulate like they once did. The attics and basements full of them, which used to get cashed in at the local dice saloon, are just about tapped out. Now once they get bought by a consumer at the nerdery, they'll stay with whomsoever boughtenated them, for good.

Reaction score
yeah i guess thats true. Same thing with the Robin Hood Prince of Thieves movie action figures and the old Terminator 2 action figures and old Robocop figures where they were pegwarming still on the back corner wall at the comic shop for years.

This time ive seen less and less of them on the wall while the comic shop still has the old X-Files movie figures and old Star Trek Next Generation etc figures. Guess people have more fun playing with a Robin Hood Prince of Thieves action figure than an old Galoob/Playmates Star Trek figure

Reaction score
I don't think they circulate like they once did. The attics and basements full of them, which used to get cashed in at the local dice saloon, are just about tapped out. Now once they get bought by a consumer at the nerdery, they'll stay with whomsoever boughtenated them, for good.
When things truly get bad economically in a widespread fashion, inventories will return. comic shops are still good for getting immediate cash even though its a fraction of the value. Desperate people cant wait for auctions to end and paypal to release money so there will be a flow back to comic shops probably sometime in the next year. Sometimes people catch the collecting bug, go overboard then realize they arent really doing anything with their collection sitting in a box or drawer etc. so back to the comic shop it goes when they need a few hundred bucks real quick for something.

Doesnt have to be an armageddon financial downturn for this very normal cycle to occur

Reaction score
There was a local comic shop that once had a sizable inventory of Kenner as well as modern carded, they slowly dwindled as the owner put most of the Kenner figures on ebay, and marked the carded figures down to move them out. They were replaced with pegs full of NECA and the like. That doesn't seem uncommon, the Kenner stuff goes on ebay while the shop carries carded / boxed collectibles that are targeted toward adult consumers. Shame they purged the SW figures, I rarely go there now because of it. I do have a nice Kenner Yoda from the shop though - loose / complete in mint condition, and it only cost me $2!

As for flea markets, there is a large one not too far away that I visit a few times each Summer, and they usually have a decent selection of Kenner figures - this year had next to nothing. It could of course be pandemic related, as fewer sellers may want to come out, but I was actually surprised that the selection nearly fizzled to nothing.

Reaction score
Not to mention that a lot of the figures/toys are getting to be 40+ years old! I dunno what the life expectancy of plastic is but a lot of my vintage stuff, especially vehicles, is starting to get brittle or flaky. I bet a lot of it is finally put to rest as unrestoreable as time goes on...

Reaction score
well as long as the old Galoob/Playmates Star Trek figures are still in the original cards then the figures should be fine and still in good shape anyway.

Reaction score
In my area, there’s a chain called Vintage Stock, that used to have loads of vintage Star Wars, Transformers, GI*JOE, M.A.S.K., etc. Now, I’m lucky to find any 80’s jems even once every few months. But on the bright side, now that they rarely sell vintage toys, when they do they’re usually way underpriced. A few years ago, I bought about 10 vintage Star Wars figure complete from them for $5 each.

The antique malls in my area still have vintage Star Wars figures. It’s usually about 20 or so of the same boring d-list characters, almost always incomplete, heavily paint worn, often yellowed.

Reaction score
It’s not your imagination. As brick and mortar stores die away anything of real value is sold online in the global market. Makes more business sense these days. GC

Reaction score
my comic shop recent got a nice collection of figures. gone in 1 hour. comic owners sometimes have clients who will purchase and flip so they can purchase from the original owner, quickly make a couple bucks on the re-flip to the new flipper. in the end the last flipper has to worry about the sorting and individual sales which can be problematic in a poor economy when its a buyers market. if you have a bread and a job, and you don't mind storing away then not a bad deal.

Reaction score
Anyone else seeing comic shops putting modern sticky price tags on directly onto vintage Kenner cards? Kills me to see that. And I think to myself "Well, it WAS worth that, before you put a sticker on the card and worsened its condition."

Reaction score
There is less vintage stuff everywhere.
Toy fairs, comic shops and even eBay has far less vintage.
People are collecting to keep for good.
With less vintage on the market it pushes prices up...I can't believe what loose last 17 is selling for now :O

I'm thinking in 10 years time we'll look at our collections and think " what have I got all this sh#t for ?" And sell up. So, maybe in 10 years time vintage will be plentiful agai :D

Reaction score
There is less vintage stuff everywhere.
Toy fairs, comic shops and even eBay has far less vintage.
People are collecting to keep for good.
With less vintage on the market it pushes prices up...I can't believe what loose last 17 is selling for now :O

I'm thinking in 10 years time we'll look at our collections and think " what have I got all this sh#t for ?" And sell up. So, maybe in 10 years time vintage will be plentiful agai :D
I was thinking of liquidating everything just yesterday lol. I literally just have all this random junk that doesn't do anything for me that I just go look at every now and again and be like "cool"

Reaction score
I used to fantasize about coming into money and getting all kinds of cool stuff like carded figures, boxed transformers, all the vintage video games, etc. etc., and now I'm like I think I would just not do that...

Reaction score
I was thinking of liquidating everything just yesterday lol. I literally just have all this random junk that doesn't do anything for me that I just go look at every now and again and be like "cool"
Now is a good time if you want to do this. People are paying big money on FB and Ebay. If it doesn’t really make you happy, might as well let it go while the market is strong.

Reaction score
I used to fantasize about coming into money and getting all kinds of cool stuff like carded figures, boxed transformers, all the vintage video games, etc. etc., and now I'm like I think I would just not do that...
I am probably happier with the re-issues than I would be with Kenner/Mattel Star Wars/He-Man MOC's frankly. And there's Transformer re-issues too if you want them.

Reaction score
Depends where you go. Big red head vintage toys in Tampa Florida has star wars figures coming out of his ears .lol. dallas vintage toys has pages and pages.