Is Anyone Else Out There Bothered by the Death of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru?

Reaction score
When I was a kid, I only ever saw Star Wars on TV and I'm pretty sure that the network cut out the close up shot of Owen and Beru's charred remains. They kept the wide shot where you see them in the distance but the close up shot was missing. I could be mistaken, but that's how I remember it. So it was a real shock to me when I finally saw that shot.

Reaction score
Luke lived in a desert wasteland just on the edge of the wilderness. Plus, Tusken Raiders were a known threat, so Luke would have likely been slightly desensitized to death over the course of his lifetime.

Also, we don't need to see extended scenes of Luke weeping and mourning over his lost family in an action movie. We did have the brief mourning scene after Ben died, later in the film; but that was a character that the audience would have cared about. It would have seemed odd for Luke to just brush off Ben's death like it was nothing.

So, I'm of the opinion that Luke did mourn, but it happened offscreen to keep from unnecessarily dragging down the story.

As for why Owen and Beru were skeletons, it was clearly meant to imply some terrifying weapon that burned the flesh off the bones. And it helps with the visual storytelling. With a shot that lasts just a couple of seconds, we establish that Luke's family is dead with no hope of revival. It might not have been the most realistic option, but reality is no excuse for bad storytelling.

Reaction score
Luke lived in a desert wasteland just on the edge of the wilderness. Plus, Tusken Raiders were a known threat, so Luke would have likely been slightly desensitized to death over the course of his lifetime.

Also, we don't need to see extended scenes of Luke weeping and mourning over his lost family in an action movie. We did have the brief mourning scene after Ben died, later in the film; but that was a character that the audience would have cared about. It would have seemed odd for Luke to just brush off Ben's death like it was nothing.

So, I'm of the opinion that Luke did mourn, but it happened offscreen to keep from unnecessarily dragging down the story.

As for why Owen and Beru were skeletons, it was clearly meant to imply some terrifying weapon that burned the flesh off the bones. And it helps with the visual storytelling. With a shot that lasts just a couple of seconds, we establish that Luke's family is dead with no hope of revival. It might not have been the most realistic option, but reality is no excuse for bad storytelling.
Where is the bad storytelling?

Reaction score
Fortunately, not in the movie; but apparently some people are bothered that it wasn't in there.
I'm glad you said that.

I don't think anyone has negative like that (saying it is bad). We are just talking - all the discussions cannot be about the big stuff. The forum wouldn't last.