Is Anyone Else Out There Bothered by the Death of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru?

Reaction score
I just watched ANH the other day and forgot about that scene. I know they had no use for Luke's uncle and aunt anymore but it always kind of bothered me the way they just "killed off" those 2 good ordinary farmers. It also seems odd to me that Luke doesn't mention it again in the entire series. These are people who raised him since he was a baby! And while Uncle Owen did hold Luke back from joining the "academy," they seemed like a loving couple that cared for Luke and his well being. I know this is Star Wars and not The Godfather, but you would think, at the very least, Luke would try to avenge their deaths to some degree. And if there is still a hint of "good" in Darth Vader, wouldn't you think he would feel the slightest bit of remorse for ordering his storm troopers to murder his step brother and his wife? And the fact that their memories are forgotten, shoved under the rug like they were nothing bothers me. Did Luke even stay back to have a decent funeral for them or did he just run off immediately with Obi Wan?

Anyway, anyone else have insight on this? Just curious

Reaction score
Some claim that it was Boba who did them in, hence why Vader says to him "No disintegration". Kind of make sense, but is probably EU or fan-fiction.

Reaction score
All his life Luke looked away to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where...he...was...hmph! What he was doing, hmph!

Reaction score
I just watched ANH the other day and forgot about that scene. I know they had no use for Luke's uncle and aunt anymore but it always kind of bothered me the way they just "killed off" those 2 good ordinary farmers. It also seems odd to me that Luke doesn't mention it again in the entire series. These are people who raised him since he was a baby! And while Uncle Owen did hold Luke back from joining the "academy," they seemed like a loving couple that cared for Luke and his well being. I know this is Star Wars and not The Godfather, but you would think, at the very least, Luke would try to avenge their deaths to some degree. And if there is still a hint of "good" in Darth Vader, wouldn't you think he would feel the slightest bit of remorse for ordering his storm troopers to murder his step brother and his wife? And the fact that their memories are forgotten, shoved under the rug like they were nothing bothers me. Did Luke even stay back to have a decent funeral for them or did he just run off immediately with Obi Wan?

Don't forget Leia gets over Alderaan going ka-boom fairly quick. And Luke takes to killing with no emotional reaction.

The movies were not intended to be that kind of story.

Luke is at least shown to to be sad at the death of Owen, Beru and Kenobi.

I was always mov curious about why they were skeletal remains - they were not dead that long.

Plus Luke does get revenge. He kills stormtroopers and blows up the Death Star.

Reaction score
Some claim that it was Boba who did them in, hence why Vader says to him "No disintegration". Kind of make sense, but is probably EU or fan-fiction.
Owen and Beru were not disintegrated.

Disintegration is what Mando does on the show.

Reaction score

Also it is highly unlikely tha stormtroopers reported random killings to Vader.

Plus he only knew Owen and Beru for a very short time anyway so even if he did know they were killed it would not bother him.

Reaction score

I'm not dismissing the issue by the way.

I have long thought i is a pity that there isn't more mourning by Luke and Leia - plus the interrogation droid is a torture droid. I think the radio drama and novelisation do show that that Leia was put through a terrible ordeal.

If we ever get a post-ANH animated series I would like the early episode to show the pair dealing with it. Perhaps it can show that Leia doesn't sleep well or at all and in a early mission it all catches up on Luke and nearly causes disaster.

Reaction score
I was always mov curious about why they were skeletal remains - they were not dead that long.
I think the storm troopers set fire to the farm and killed Owen and Beru that way. Luke does see a bunch of smoke as he pulls up. I took it as they were skeletal remains because fire burnt their flesh off. That’s a gruesome thought but you’re right. They wouldn’t be skeletons that quickly if they were just shot or killed by some other method.

Reaction score
Luke clearly was upset, but Obi Wan had already given him a reason to be concerned that the same fate could befall him. They didn't have time for a funeral if they were going to hang with the droids, so I always saw this as a thing he dealt with offscreen.

I imagined when he returned in ROTJ to Tatooine that he checked on those that he knew and probably even checked on the old homestead for a little closure.

Reaction score
I always had this thought that ol' 'Wormie' might have shown his old 'friends' a bit o' force power just to let them know.

*not choked anyone or anything, but like said hello and used a little force to levitate his blue milk to his hand on the way out the door :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Don't forget, when Luke races away from the Sandcrawler to find the moisture farm ablaze, his intention is still to drop Ben and the Droids off in Mos Eisely and then return home. It is the death of the only family he has ever known--at the hands of the lackeys to the man he was just told killed the father he never got to meet--that pushes Luke over the edge into accepting Ben's suggestion to go with him to Alderaan. "There's nothing for me here now."

The Larses were holding Luke back, both willfully by not letting him go the Academy and also by making him feel responsible for the continued existence of the farm. Only once that responsibility and restriction were lifted from him was he truly able to step up to the hero's journey.

He spends the rest of the movie (maybe saga) avenging them, just like Spider-Man's main motivation of constantly trying to make up for not having been able to save his uncle.

I think I can give Luke a pass on not sticking around for a funeral since the Empire (aka local government) would undoubtedly kill him as soon as they found out his identity and connection to the fugitive Rebel droids.

Reaction score
Don't forget, when Luke races away from the Sandcrawler to find the moisture farm ablaze, his intention is still to drop Ben and the Droids off in Mos Eisely and then return home. It is the death of the only family he has ever known--at the hands of the lackeys to the man he was just told killed the father he never got to meet--that pushes Luke over the edge into accepting Ben's suggestion to go with him to Alderaan. "There's nothing for me here now."

The Larses were holding Luke back, both willfully by not letting him go the Academy and also by making him feel responsible for the continued existence of the farm. Only once that responsibility and restriction were lifted from him was he truly able to step up to the hero's journey.

He spends the rest of the movie (maybe saga) avenging them, just like Spider-Man's main motivation of constantly trying to make up for not having been able to save his uncle.

I think I can give Luke a pass on not sticking around for a funeral since the Empire (aka local government) would undoubtedly kill him as soon as they found out his identity and connection to the fugitive Rebel droids.
Your answer might be the best one! Right on! I love the insight

Reaction score
I think the storm troopers set fire to the farm and killed Owen and Beru that way. Luke does see a bunch of smoke as he pulls up. I took it as they were skeletal remains because fire burnt their flesh off. That’s a gruesome thought but you’re right. They wouldn’t be skeletons that quickly if they were just shot or killed by some other method.
There was some but not fire and the farm was was undamaged as far as I can remember.

I have a recollection of being told that they went with skeletons as opposed to corpes as the movie was aimed at kids but either way is badd to be honest.

Maybe the vermin and carrion eaters on Tatooine work quick?

Reaction score
I always had this thought that ol' 'Wormie' might have shown his old 'friends' a bit o' force power just to let them know.

*not choked anyone or anything, but like said hello and used a little force to levitate his blue milk to his hand on the way out the door :ROFLMAO:
No Luke is not a show off. :)

Reaction score

I think it safe to say that Luke did a funeral before returning to Ben and the droids.

Reaction score

Don't think Luke was that put out by their deaths. At least not in the immediate term. He didn't seem to get on with Owen, that's for sure. So there might not be too many tears there.

As for funerals, there wasn't really time and spending it burying them would have been dangerous.

Reaction score
I've never really understood why they were skeletons. Even as a kid I though it was weird.

Also flesh wouldn't burn off and leave a skeleton. It just leaves a burnt husk.

Reaction score
I've never really understood why they were skeletons. Even as a kid I though it was weird.

Agreed. I figured the Empire had some specialty wicked weapon that left mostly just skeletal remains. Sort of my personal head cannon.

Would be maybe a nice touch if some other bounty hunter in The Mandelorian had a weapon that had similar results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Again, not such a bad theory with Boba "disintegrating" people - perhaps it's a setting like stormtroopers can set for stun. And Vader exaggerating the expression about "No disintegration". I didn't make up the original theory, but it works for me.
Or the stormtroopers just have that switch that's red and says "don't use this setting".

There is an old fan film "Troops" that plays out at the Lars' homestead and shows the events as imagined by other fans :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Again, not such a bad theory with Boba "disintegrating" people - perhaps it's a setting like stormtroopers can set for stun. And Vader exaggerating the expression about "No disintegration". I didn't make up the original theory, but it works for me.
Or the stormtroopers just have that switch that's red and says "don't use this setting".

There is an old fan film "Troops" that plays out at the Lars' homestead and shows the events as imagined by other fans :)
The Troops fan film is a classic. :)

I cannot believe it was 1997 :oops:

Reaction score
Agreed. I figured the Empire had some specialty wicked weapon that left mostly just skeletal remains. Sort of my personal head cannon.

Would be maybe a nice touch if some other bounty hunter in The Mandelorian had a weapon that had similar results.

No the stormtroopers killed them.

Somebody else doing it would a horrible touch.

Reaction score
it was this guy.

Reaction score
and no, not bothered. saw it when I was 7. reminded me of Spiderman, Batman, Superman, etc.

in fact they did the same thing to Marlon Brando in 1978... so I guess the question becomes, "was anyone else out there bothered by the death of Superman's Parents", after we got to know them so well, in Act1 of Superman The Movie?

Reaction score
Your post most certainly suggested that "some other bounty hunter" having killed them would be "a nice touch".
No. I’m saying in a spin-off have a bounty hunter kill SOMEONE ELSE the same way that just leaves to smoldering skeleton to create some in-universe continuity....

Reaction score
No. I’m saying in a spin-off have a bounty hunter kill SOMEONE ELSE the same way that just leaves to smoldering skeleton to create some in-universe continuity....

Okay that wasn't clear in the post. It should a stormtrooper that does it though, not a bounty hunter.

Reaction score

No insight but I do know when told about what happened on the Lars Farm, Jabba did this!
(obviously very inappropriate!)

Last edited:
Reaction score
There was some but not fire and the farm was was undamaged as far as I can remember.

I have a recollection of being told that they went with skeletons as opposed to corpes as the movie was aimed at kids but either way is badd to be honest.

Maybe the vermin and carrion eaters on Tatooine work quick?
l don’t mean to talk about the morbid nature of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru as skeletons but the farm seemed pretty burnt to me when Luke showed up. Not saying your wrong, but look at the picture I attached. Looks pretty burnt if you ask me.

Yeah, you would think it would look more gruesome like you said, but then again, skin and flesh burn pretty quickly. I am a guy who has watched “The Terminator part 1” enough times however and seeing the skin melt off of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Model 101 leaving just the metal endoskeleton in just 5 minutes time probably makes it seem more likely for the Lars’ skin to be burnt off that quickly in my mind.

But then again, Jaxxon brought up a good point. This is geared toward kids. I am sure showing charred skeletal remains would be too disgusting for a PG movie, so let’s make the skeletons less scary looking

Attachments

Reaction score
l don’t mean to talk about the morbid nature of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru as skeletons but the farm seemed pretty burnt to me when Luke showed up. Not saying your wrong, but look at the picture I attached. Looks pretty burnt if you ask me.
I cannot open the photo you posted.

I know their was dark and white smoke in the scene but nothing was shown to be on fire.

I've always thought that the marks on the building was blaster damage.

Yeah, you would think it would look more gruesome like you said, but then again, skin and flesh burn pretty quickly. I am a guy who has watched “The Terminator part 1” enough times however and seeing the skin melt off of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Model 101 leaving just the metal endoskeleton in just 5 minutes time probably makes it seem more likely for the Lars’ skin to be burnt off that quickly in my mind.

But then again, Jaxxon brought up a good point. This is geared toward kids. I am sure showing charred skeletal remains would be too disgusting for a PG movie, so let’s make the skeletons less scary looking
I think the reason was that the actors lying dead was considered unsuitable for kids. I did say in my post that I think the skeletons are not any less scary. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, you would think it would look more gruesome like you said, but then again, skin and flesh burn pretty quickly.
There are pictures of bodies that were exposed to thousands of degrees of heat in bombed German cities during the war. They ended up being gruesome mannequins, but still recognisable as human bodies and not skeletons. The skin burns and hardens to a blackened crust. It doesn't melt off of the skeletal frame, although parts can drop off.

Severe burn victims who survive their ordeal have to have the charred skin split so it can knit together again and heal.

...and that's enough gory detail for this afternoon.

Sure, kids are in the audience. But they're often more resilient than adults give them credit for. In any case, using the charred skeletons may even have ended up more gruesome, than using a blackened shemp effect, given the medium distance of the shot.

But this was the 70's. Movie makers were less (overly) concerned with hyper sensitivity of a few members in an audience. I still find it remarkable that 'Jaws' was a PG movie. If that was made today, it would be a completely neutered PG-13 and rendered utterly harmless.

Reaction score
There are pictures of bodies that were exposed to thousands of degrees of heat in bombed German cities during the war. They ended up being gruesome mannequins, but still recognisable as human bodies and not skeletons. The skin burns and hardens to a blackened crust. It doesn't melt off of the skeletal frame, although parts can drop off.

Severe burn victims who survive their ordeal have to have the charred skin split so it can knit together again and heal.

...and that's enough gory detail for this afternoon.

Sure, kids are in the audience. But they're often more resilient than adults give them credit for. In any case, using the charred skeletons may even have ended up more gruesome, than using a blackened shemp effect, given the medium distance of the shot.

But this was the 70's. Movie makers were less (overly) concerned with hyper sensitivity of a few members in an audience. I still find it remarkable that 'Jaws' was a PG movie. If that was made today, it would be a completely neutered PG-13 and rendered utterly harmless.

Jaws was marked " PG-Maybe to intense for younger viewers". The (Ratings council) considered giving it a R but asked for a few cuts and Spielberg obliged and they were able to get a PG Rating. They also cut the length (and blood spill) of the (Estuary Victim) chomped leg that floated down to the bottom of the sea floor after the attack. As well they did away with another filmed scene with the same guy (Estuary Victim) where he saves Chief's brodys son and pushed him out of the way in the water while seconds later getting chomped under water by JAWS. One of the greatest Movies ever. So Glad it was made when it was. The producers of Jaws also argued, and rightly so, that JAWS was not just a movie with needless and useless violent blood baths and killing of people by other people. It was about what can and does happen in the real world of Nature. Also nobody can immitate JAWS unlike a movie say about Charles Manson etc etc.

Reaction score
Jaws was marked " PG-Maybe to intense for younger viewers". The (Ratings council) considered giving it a R but asked for a few cuts and Spielberg obliged and they were able to get a PG Rating. They also cut the length (and blood spill) of the (Estuary Victim) chomped leg that floated down to the bottom of the sea floor after the attack. As well they did away with another filmed scene with the same guy (Estuary Victim) where he saves Chief's brodys son and pushed him out of the way in the water while seconds later getting chomped under water by JAWS. One of the greatest Movies ever. So Glad it was made when it was. The producers of Jaws also argued, and rightly so, that JAWS was not just a movie with needless and useless violent blood baths and killing of people by other people. It was about what can and does happen in the real world of Nature. Also nobody can immitate JAWS unlike a movie say about Charles Manson etc etc.
As far as I know, Spielberg had already cut and edited the Estuary victim scene before he submitted it for classification, because he felt that it was too much himself and it kind of wasn't working anyway. The unused footage is out there.

But, in any case, I'm still amazed that 'Jaws' ended up as a PG rated movie in the form that we all know anyway. There are less intense horror films out there that are 18's.

Reaction score
As far as I know, Spielberg had already cut and edited the Estuary victim scene before he submitted it for classification, because he felt that it was too much himself and it kind of wasn't working anyway. The unused footage is out there.

But, in any case, I'm still amazed that 'Jaws' ended up as a PG rated movie in the form that we all know anyway. There are less intense horror films out there that are 18's.

You are correct on the unused scene with the Estuary Victim with Brodys son. I mentioned it just as a FYI for those that didn't know. The scene with the Leg (the time the film follows it and blood gushing in the scene as it hit the sea floor) was edited and that was enough to get to the PG Rating. Again one of the greatest movies ever made.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah Jabba was just an all around Jerk. He also wouldn't wear pants which many of the Aliens in the palace complained about.:whistle:
I can't blame him for that. In that heat and being the boss man he is entitled to go without pants.

Last few days here have very warm and I would love to able to go trouser-free.