Indiana Toy Store

Reaction score
Todd and Amber are awesome! You can easily spend hours and hours at their store and still not see everything. I stop by 2-3 times a month. I highly recommend them!!!

Reaction score
Wouldn't mind going, but the business hours for the store make it nearly impossible. Also, the online prices are pretty bad. Hopefully the in-store prices are different.

Reaction score
I'm with Eric on this. Spent many an hour at the store. Just ask about pricing. They take care of you.

Reaction score
bonoferox said:
Wouldn't mind going, but the business hours for the store make it nearly impossible. Also, the online prices are pretty bad. Hopefully the in-store prices are different.
If you go to their store, you won't be paying the ebay fees (which are insane these days) that you would pay online.

Reaction score
Hey, we appericate the kind words and support. As a real brick and mortar toy store we rely on the local guys to keep us above water. We are happy with the response and sales from our new Hasbro account. With all the new waves coming in people seem to be happy they don't have to go on the hunt anymore. :p

Reaction score
My son and I stopped for the first time on Saturday. What a trip down memory lane! My son is big on G1 Transformers and can't wait to go back after he saves up some more money. If I continue to have no luck finding the Rebel Fleet Trooper wave I'll have to check back with you. If anybody is interested we have a bunch of 25th Joes we are looking to get rid of / trade.

Reaction score
went their today and loved it, it has a great variety of different figures and for great prices i loved it and highly recommend it to all collectors and anyone who goes to Indy and i hope to go back soon

Reaction score
You guys are in Kokomo? HOT DAMN!!!!
I was just gonna ask if anybody knew of any stores in that area. My sister lives in Greentown and I was stationed at Grissom in the late 80s. Im heading out there on the weekend of the first of October for my nieces wedding. It'll be the first time I've been back since. I'll have to be sure and check you guys out!!
Umm... is the Hip Hugger still there?

Reaction score
DarthOnyx said:
Hip Hugger is still there!!!
Hahahahahahah!!! That's great! After I got out of the service I lived in Bunker hill for a while and worked at the Subaru warehouse. We used to take the Japanese execs there, those guys were maniacs for the strippers.

Reaction score
They have been going pretty fast but we have all the new clone wars figures wave 4, 5 and 6 that have arrived. We had around 20 cases of each. We also have the saga commemorative packs and new vehicle waves.

Reaction score
If you are willing to give us local guys a discount on the new Clone Wars, that would be really appreciative. But honestly, your prices online for the new figures are ridiculous. These figures will be available at mass retail within a couple of weeks. I would never support anyone buying NEW figures at those prices. Old AND Rare product can command a higher premium. NEW product at those prices is just scalping.

Reaction score
TatooineSandworm said:
NEW product at those prices is just scalping.
Dude, it's not scalping if those figures are impossible to find at regular retail.

Besides, I'm pretty sure he has his own Hasbro wholesale account so he is allowed to sell them for whatever he wants. It's not like he is out there wiping out the Kokomo Wal-Mart inventory. And he more than likely is not getting the same wholesale price that Wal-Mart or Target does due to buying at a much lower volume than those companies do. Also add in the fact that he is trying to keep his business above water with the expense of running an e-store plus a brick-and-mortor store. Companies like Wal-Mart and Target sell thousands of other items to offset this cost. Kokomo toys are just selling toys so they gotta make some profit somewhere or else they go out of business. Would you rather there not be any local toy stores?

Scalping!!!! Really?!? I get so sick and tired of seeing that term thrown around this website. Ebay may suck or whatever, but it has kept this hobby from going the way of the Sports Card.

Nothing personal dude. I just saw the word "scalping" used one too many times on 'scum.

(And no, I do not know the owners of Kokomo toys nor have I ever been there. Although, I do want to make that drive eventually)

Reaction score
Hey Toyman,

No problem, I respect your point of view. However, I consider it scalping when he is picking and choosing which figures to raise the price on. Since they are NEW toys, and he is charging 23 bucks for Seripas, and only 8 bucks for the new Captain Rex, he is specifically pricing a figure higher than another.

I absolutely would NOT consider it scalping if he chose to price ALL of the new figures at 12.00 flat. Then I would even support him because I can understand his costs might be higher and he is trying to make a profit. But I also absolutely consider it scalping when he has a different pricing structure on NEW figures based on desirability.

I understand if he wants to price RARE and RETIRED or OUT OF PRODUCTION products at a different price, or higher than what they would be at normal retail. That is running a business. But I don't feel that you are going to attract new customers with extremely inflated prices on brand new product.

I understand the sensitivity to the word "scalping". I really do. And I really am not one that throws the word around and I try not to use it at all. But seeing his arbitrary prices on the new items really irritated me.

Again, I could be totally in the wrong, and if he wants to offer us local guys a discount, so that he is covering his costs and then making profit on top of that, I understand and agree with that. I would be willing to pay the SAME price that is higher for ALL new figures that covers that cost for him. I am not willing to pay a MUCH higher price for some new figures and a SLIGHTLY higher price for other new figures. I am patient and can wait until retail gets them in. I would be willing to support him though if he would put realistic expectations on his prices.

I know that I ranted a little here, and will accept my licks for doing so. I understand that we want to support local guys, and I am all for it. I am not supportive of local guys taking advantage of us though.

Reaction score
Wow. Ok. We try to base our prices on completed auctions on eBay. Since we are a small family business and not a major retailer we do try the best we can. But we are in business to make money. I would hate to price all our figures so low that only the hot ones and rare ones sell then we are stuck with 100 of a non selling figure. We do not have the locations or the customers as Walmart or the ability to clearance peg warms below wholesale. Understand that the majority of our prices for new items end up based on BBTS prices and all our pre-orders are always cheaper if pre-ordered from our website ahead of time. Once they arrive some get listed based on the completed eBay sales which is the going market for them and the rest remain as the pre-order price if peg warmers, etc... Now, if you order cases you can always get them ahead of time cheaper because we know how many to order. But again, prices are always better in the shop and all our eBay auctions always have MAKE AN OFFER on them. But, if you look under the completed auctions for our shop you will see we have already sold nearly all our new Star Wars figures as BUY IT NOW and by folks making offers. I'm sorry if you are not happy with our prices, but we do try our best and hope you will be more understanding.

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I also want to thank you for answering with a calm tone, and with a thought out explanation. It makes me happy to see that there is still room for debate.

This could prove to be a very interesting opportunity, because as collector’s we do not get the opportunity to provide feedback directly to resellers. With having the person responsible for making business decisions communicating to the community, it could open doors for collectors.

I want to address some of the points that you made:
• Prices are based off of Ebay completed auctions and BBTS.
I understand that you are basing pricing off of what other people have been able to charge for the same figure. If that is how you want to run your business, that is completely fine. I just won’t buy from you. BBTS and Ebay sellers are accused all the time of being scalpers (just look at the flack BBTS took for their Indiana Jones Lost Wave sets).

BBTS deliberately prices the new items higher because they know that is what people want. Again, if BBTS would offer all the figures at $10.00 - $12.00 and allow customers to buy them in singles, I would be happy to buy from them. But BBTS tries to force purchasing decisions and tries to create false demand. I consider what BBTS does to be manipulative and opportunistic. That is my opinion of their business model, and is the reason that I will not buy NEW product from them.

Ebay has also made collecting new items a pain in the butt because people have very little to no patience. Lots of people operate under a have-to-have it attitude, and they also have discretionary money to spend. When some “sellers” see the prices things can command on Ebay they go out to the store, buy all they can and then try to sell it and make a quick buck (I understand that this is NOT what you do). The Ebay culture however has artificially raised the cost of new items because people are easily scared.

• You don’t want to get stuck with non-selling figures.
Take the sales numbers you get and the feedback from your customers back to Hasbro. If enough of Hasbro’s customers complain, they could potentially start making a new Case assortment for non-mass retail. I know that it is unlikely to happen, but you never got anything by NOT asking.

• Prices are better in the store, and you have Make an Offer on your e-bay auctions.
I have heard from other collectors, that your store charged the online prices in-store as well. This was after you had told the local guys that you would give them a discount. When they came back you told them no discount. Also, I have tired your Make an Offer (reasonable offers – a couple of bucks above retail) and have been refused every time. If you want to promote alternative pricing then I would love to see you live up to it.

• Order cases ahead of time.
I don’t want to buy figures that I don’t want. This is why I will not buy a case. I stated multiple times that I CAN wait for retail, but I am willing to support a local business if their prices are in the realm of reality. NOT $23 for a brand new figure

If you have taken the time to read all of this, then thanks for listening. If you stopped reading at the beginning, more power to you. There is nothing forcing you to read this, expect to promote a better collecting community in Indiana.

I have one Final question however. Mass retail prices their figures the way they do so that they can make a profit. This means that there is a profit level at the 7.99 – 9.99 price range (granted, the profit level may not be enough to run a business, especially a specialty shop like yours). I am curious at how much Hasbro actually charges for a case of their figures. You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to, and I know that their prices vary depending on the volume you buy, but could you give us any insight to how much Hasbro charges a customer like you vs. how much they charge a customer like WalMart?

Thanks again for listening, and I promise that any further posts will be kept short.

Reaction score
You are welcome to come to the shop and we can talk all you want, but I really do not wish to debate on an online forum. I will say though, contractually I am not allow to discuss wholesale costs. but, in regards to people coming into the shop that you are speaking of, well.. I'd love to meet these people and hope they will introduce themselves because I've only had a few people come in from Rebelscum that I am aware of and they were always happy with our prices and our service. I wish you the best and hope you will come over for a chat. I'll make the coffee.

Reaction score
Hey Sudelaya,

I appreciate the opportunity to get a couple of things out in the open. I respect any NDA's that you had to sign in order to obtain your Hasbro license.

I will let you know the next time I am up in your area (no coffee needed
)

Regards,
Ben