Indiana Jones wants his whip !

Reaction score
On my way to work this morning I heard on my car radio that Harrison Ford won't play Indiana Jones in Indy IV unless they allow him to use a real whip!
Supposedly the production wants to create his whip in the film using computer graphics due to recent movie set safety guidelines.
Sounds silly to me, especially if it is true. Just let him use a real whip! Jeez!

Reaction score
Oh for crying out loud, CG crap is getting out of hand. I agree, if he wants to use a whip, let him. If the studio bigwigs are concerned, just have the lawyers draft a waiver in case he does something to hurt himself.

Reaction score
Oh how stupid!!! I can't believe they want to use a CGI whip! What are the morons going to think of next??

Reaction score
If he uses a real whip they'll probably just replace it with a walkie talkie.

Reaction score
Warsaw_Wonder said:
Supposedly the production wants to create his whip in the film using computer graphics due to recent movie set safety guidelines.
\
"The production" meaning Lucas. I'm surprised he's even using Harrison Ford (I'm pretty sure he could digitally manufacture someone that looks pretty close by now)

Reaction score
JoshEEE said:
Warsaw_Wonder said:
\
"The production" meaning Lucas. I'm surprised he's even using Harrison Ford (I'm pretty sure he could digitally manufacture someone that looks pretty close by now)
Yeah, can you imagine a CG Harrison Ford? If it's executed half as well as the resurected Orville Redenbacher, we're in for a treat.

Note: Sarcasm.

Reaction score
I doubt Harrison's been talking to anyone about the whip.
I think it's bunk.

I wouldn't mind a CGI whip during action sequences, and just get a real one anytime it's not flying in a blur.

Reaction score
Heres the article from aintitcool.com

Harrison Ford willing to Quit INDY IV because of Fake Whip Chit?

Hey folks, Harry here - you won't believe this story... in fact I don't know if I believe this story, as it just sounds so [censored] ridiculous as to be... ridiculous. Word from this site is reporting that Harrison Ford is not happy. That there are alleged new "Hollywood Regulations" that forbid Harrison getting to wield the iconic whip, due to it being possibly dangerous - thus making it required to replace the real whip with a CG whip. The story says that Harrison is so dedicated to his whip, that he's willing to walk off the film if he, as DEVO said, can't WHIP IT, WHIP IT REAL GOOD!

If this is so - this is just sad. If it isn't so... then that's one helluva fun rumor. Take it with a grain of salt. - this story was sent in by a young Indiana.

I hope this is not true. It has already taken too long to get this movie where it is now, don't prolong it anymore!!

Reaction score
A CG whip? That's ridiculous. Maybe if it looked REALLY good and was used only sparingly during intense tricks and cracks, it'd be okay, but I could easily see it looking like the new Ghost Rider's chain thing - retarded.

Can't say I'll complain too much though. It's freakin' Indy 4!

_Max

Reaction score
And Hollywood wonders why they keep losing money? I think the last time I was in the theater was for Last King of Scotland. before that, I cannot remember.

Nice one Hollywood. Let's keep it coming.

Reaction score
Sounds too much like BS to me. First of all, I can't imagine Ford walking away from a sure-fire hit film after his last few box-office duds (Firewall, anyone?). If it is, then they've got an even bigger problem: Ford's hitting the bottle again!

Reaction score
They can have lawyers write up any sort of safty waver they want. Just get the parties involved to sign off and they're golden. And hell, they'll be filming all over the globe. So "Hollywood rules" won't apply under other jurisdictions. Unless it's some Screen Actor's Guild thing, and even then there's ways around it. Total BS.

I remember they initially used real whips with real metal teeth during Passion of the Christ in the flaying scene. They were whipping a metal plate behind Caviezel's back. That was until one of the cords missed and actually took a chunk out of him. Then they switched to CGI. But there were no rules prohibiting whips back then...

Reaction score
Dan_Cziraky said:
Sounds too much like BS to me. First of all, I can't imagine Ford walking away from a sure-fire hit film after his last few box-office duds (Firewall, anyone?). If it is, then they've got an even bigger problem: Ford's hitting the bottle again!

I actually thought Firewall was decent although the ended was something to be desired but other than that I felt it was ok.

Reaction score
bigdog6374 said:
Dan_Cziraky said:

I actually thought Firewall was decent although the ended was something to be desired but other than that I felt it was ok.
I don't think Harrison Ford has to worry about his box office success anyways. It's not like if he quits IJ4, he won't be famous anymore.

Reaction score
Let Harrison use the whip honestly because CGI will kill it
just like an the F-word in a PG-13 movie.I can picture some
hollywood big shot director saying:NOW MR FORD WE CAN'T AFFORD YOU TO GET HURT BECAUSE OF THE SHAPE YOUR IN.
and know Harrison he won't care I think they should give him
the prop whip along with the fedora and his gun.

Reaction score
He used a real whip in the first three movies, which is reason enough to say that he should use a real whip in the fourth one.

Reaction score
A CG whip is not the Indy I remember...Who cares what the bigshots think, they aren't Harrison Ford