Indiana Jones action figure help

Reaction score
I am working on recreating the original scene diorama in the sales counter from the Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost from Disneyland.

I am looking for used figures, I have the original sand and gem stones in the photo.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

Reaction score
If you are looking for that mummy, there are a few good options on amazon in scale.

I don't have the other figures available right now.

Reaction score
Those figures are from this set that was (maybe still is) available at the park. There are many listings on eBay for them both loose and boxed for less than $20:

1598893733033.png

Reaction score
If you are looking for that mummy, there are a few good options on amazon in scale.

I don't have the other figures available right now.
Yup. Hit up ebay, too. Lots of options in "collectibles" and in toys, too. The McFarlane mummy sarcophagus is pretty cool looking. I'd suggest museum gift shops, but that's probably not feasible at the moment.

Reaction score
Reaction score
There are definitely stone blocks and bamboo from the old Disney 7" Indiana Jones figure that they sold at the parks in both "classic" and "Temple of Doom" versions.

They were still selling the TOD version at Disneyland when I was there last year at this time. I have the original version and still love it.

Both versions are pretty widely available for decent prices.

Reaction score
Wow! This is a really neat project you're putting together. I worked at Disneyland from 1995 (when the ride opened) until 2001 and I worked the Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost many, many times over the years. As I recall, the display in that cabinet changed pretty often. I believe it originally had some high-end items like Disney watches and rings when the ride first opened. Then once we stopped selling those, we started filling the cabinet with whatever we had in the store.

We couldn't keep any of the really popular stuff inside that cabinet because if we were sold out of that item on the store shelves, people would want to buy the display pieces. Then they would get upset when we told them we couldn't sell the opened display items under the glass. That is how the PVC figurines likely made it into the cabinet for your photo there. The store stocked those for many years, and was rarely sold out. I also see several columns and stone blocks from the 7" Indy figure posted above. Sometimes we would take opened or damaged merchandise and use that as part of the display as well.

For awhile in the early 2000s we carried a whole line of resin Egyptian souvenirs: skulls, mummies, sarcophagi, statues, and other replicas. I don't remember the company that made them, but it looks like sarcophagus with the mummy you have in the photos there could have been part of that line.

So "from a certain point of view" almost anything you put in that cabinet that was once sold in that store could be accurate. If you're trying to match those photos, then you are aiming to recreate a specific snapshot, or moment in time. And that's pretty neat if it represents a time that is important to you.

Reaction score
That's awesome! My first trip ever to Disneyland was in 1995! I didn't know the ride had just opened, but it explains the lines. Loved the Adventure Outpost, was sad to see it gone when we went last year. Though they still some Indy stuff at the current shop, it's just not the same. They did still have those PVC figurines and the ToD 7" Indy though.

Reaction score
They need to do an Indiana Jones 6 inch line, even if it is Fan Channel only. Indy, Marion, Cairo swordsman, Thot... these would sell in sets, but if you put them at retail, they would likely fail.

Reaction score
Thank you, for your cast member point of view. I am hoping to make it look like it is still in the park.

I have found a video on YouTube showing it in great detail. You can see it if you search for Indiana Jones Outpost.

I understand that it was an ever changing display but the one I found is the only one so far. So I am going with it, plus it looks better than watches and rings.

The drawers on the back still have all of the labels and the NCR cash register display is still installed. I would like to find a cash register to install as a prop to finish it off.

Reaction score
It's really cool that you got the original cashwrap counter. Sometimes stuff like this comes up in auctions, and other times it finds a back door. I know of someone with an original vendor cart in their backyard, so you never know what you'll find in private collections. Good on you for getting this piece of Disney/Indy history.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the display from the time I was a Cast Member, but I found some pics online that might give you some insight into the last 10 years of it's life there at Disneyland. Most of these are super low resolution, as I had to blow them up from various internet sources, so please forgive the lack of clarity.

This first one is sniped from a video shot in 2008. You can see the base and standing pillar from the first version of the 7" figure (with the jacket, not the TOD version). The open sarcophagus is in there, but it's hard to see what's inside it.

IndyOutpost-Display-2008.jpg

The next one here was from a blog post dated October of 2011. You can see another base and pillar set up from that 7" figure. It looks like the vase is in there, but the fake bones may not be yet.

IndyOutpost-Display-2011.jpg

This one was found on Instagram from 2015. You can see they added the PVC figures, plus the bones and rolled-up maps. Note- the figures are in a different configuration, and there is a different "mummy" in the sarcophagus. This mummy's postiche (beard) is broken off, demonstrating we usually used damaged or open merch to fill the display.
IndyOutpost-Display-2015.jpg

And here it is in 2017, right before the store closed forever. That map glued to the top of the pin display was also sold there, and retailed for around $3.00. Last I heard, you could still buy those in the park. It looks like some maps even made it into the glass display according to the 2015 close-up pic above.
IndyOutpost-Display-2017.jpg

And here is what was under the glass on the top of the main counter. There is some interesting old period photography, and the rest were postcards that we used to sell. From the look of it, this part of the display really didn't change much from when it opened in 1995 to when it closed in 2017. The crystal skull image on the top left was definitely not there since the beginning. I'm curious - are these items still under the glass on your cabinet?

IndyOutpost-Display-2017b.jpg

VideoViper posted an Amazon link for a sarcophagus above. Those look REALLY similar to the ones we used to sell. Look up "Ebros Sarcophagus" and you might find what you're looking for, or at least something close enough to pass.

Overall, the images you have sourced represent the final day of operation in the summer of 2017. And I think that's a fitting tribute to remember this really cool store.

Reaction score
I did purchase it legitimately.

Those are some photos I have not scene. I would like to add the photos and the map under the glass.

Reaction score
I am definitely not accusing you of buying it illegitimately! I'm just saying that sometimes Disney stuff just finds it's way into people's collections. Like Ian Malcom says "life finds a way."

I PM'ed you a link for one of the maps I showed above. I could only find one for sale online, so you may want to jump on it, especially since I don't know if they sell them in the parks anymore.

Reaction score
I didn’t think that you thought anything negative, I only wanted to let you know.

I appreciate everyone’s help with this project, it is a little out of my wheelhouse.

I will post more photos as I find more cool things.

Reaction score
They removed everything under the glass. I do have the burlap pin board that was in the wicker box.

I wish I had more, but like Johnny Cash said “One Piece At A Time”

I have been researching the photos and would like to replace them just like in your photo.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Wow! This is a really neat project you're putting together. I worked at Disneyland from 1995 (when the ride opened) until 2001 and I worked the Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost many, many times over the years. As I recall, the display in that cabinet changed pretty often. I believe it originally had some high-end items like Disney watches and rings when the ride first opened. Then once we stopped selling those, we started filling the cabinet with whatever we had in the store.

We couldn't keep any of the really popular stuff inside that cabinet because if we were sold out of that item on the store shelves, people would want to buy the display pieces. Then they would get upset when we told them we couldn't sell the opened display items under the glass. That is how the PVC figurines likely made it into the cabinet for your photo there. The store stocked those for many years, and was rarely sold out. I also see several columns and stone blocks from the 7" Indy figure posted above. Sometimes we would take opened or damaged merchandise and use that as part of the display as well.

For awhile in the early 2000s we carried a whole line of resin Egyptian souvenirs: skulls, mummies, sarcophagi, statues, and other replicas. I don't remember the company that made them, but it looks like sarcophagus with the mummy you have in the photos there could have been part of that line.

So "from a certain point of view" almost anything you put in that cabinet that was once sold in that store could be accurate. If you're trying to match those photos, then you are aiming to recreate a specific snapshot, or moment in time. And that's pretty neat if it represents a time that is important to you.
Thanks for sharing! Very cool!

Man, I miss the "Adventure Outpost!" They had very, very little in terms of Indy-branded merch when I was at DL last summer.

Sigh.

Reaction score
I am hoping to find an open set since I am going to open it anyway and hate to ruin a MIB set.
Toys are meant to be opened!

I didn't read the opening post carefully, didn't realize you had the original counter! How cool. Good luck with your project.

Reaction score
Yeah, this is super cool! It's awesome that you were able to "obtain this rare antiquity". ;) Will definitely be following your progress.

Reaction score
The back has a bunch of drawers for all of the different types of buttons, luckily they left the labels on.

It is a cool piece and mostly un molested other than what they removed.

Reaction score
Here are a couple of shorts of the progress, I couldn’t find a few of the photos and made a few concessions but it is a work in progress.

The display case still looks empty, looking for a few more props.

Thank you all for your help, I do appreciate it!!!!

Attachments

Reaction score
Since there is plenty of Halloween stuff in the stores I should be able to find the bones, even though they are way out of scale. I am looking for accuracy now a realistic look.