Incredible FIND: TRILOGO Y-WING Fighter

Reaction score
Hi guyz, I'd like to share with you all an incredible find about a real-TRILOGO boxed Y-WING Fighter

Don't get wrong, this is not the usual Bilogo release (often called Trilogo because it has the spanish/french + english sides); this one has the REAL CASCADED LOGOs!

I was really thrilled when I saw it as this item was not even supposed to exists; at least it's the first to surface.

It looks to be a very late release like most of the very rare Trilogo items (ie. X-Wing Fighter) and unlike the minirigs this one comes from UK (made in U.K.), it was bought in Ireland circa 1990.

Once back home, I grabbed my Bilogo Y-Wing box to compare and I realized that even if the picture looks like the standars Kenner/bilogo version, it's a totally NEW picture, they just tried to capture the same angle;

If you have a Kenner or Bilogo box in your collection, you'll also notice that illustration pictures on the sides are also different.

As you can see on the boxes, and the close-up below (BILOGO on the left, TRILOGO on the right), the Trilogo picture is shot in a wider angle, and even if they looks the same, the Y-Wing and the figures are different (Lando is the teeth version, and Madine doesn't carry his staff at hand).

The Bilogo box had been designed from the Kenner box (look at the red circled area where the Kenner logo was airbrushed), while the Trilogo box is an "original" picture.

Finally, a picture of the "flap side" of the boxes, the Trilogo version is very similar to the other Trilogo boxes (ie. Ewok village, B-Wing, X-Wing...) with the white "made in UK" circle and the same very sturdy cardboard.

I'm still amazed by the recent finds we made in a year: bilogo DV Tie, bilogo spanish side X-Wing Fighter and Scout Walker; and now this new Trilogo find... what's still out there waiting to be found??? perhaps an AT-AT some day???

ENJOY
!

Stephane

Reaction score
Fantastic, that is a great find! Even more impressive is the condition, it looks really nice. For something so uncommon, it is remarkable that it was so well taken care of.

Reaction score
Unbelievable. Congrats to this fantastic find..

It´s really crazy so many never seen before European stuff is out their.

Years ago I hear rumours about an real Tri Logo AT AT and an PDT-8 so we will see what the future will show us...

Congrats again

Reaction score
Nice find!

Some of the stickers are also different (from what I can see). The trilogo one might be a prodcution version on the picture, while the Kenner/Bilogo one is a prototype (FS).

_Alex

Lex

Reaction score
Great find.
I actually prefer the image used in the trilogo box, much lighter and cleaner.

Reaction score
Awesome find! It's amazing that stuff still surfaces after so many years! Congrats!

-Andy

Reaction score
Wow!
is the first time I see a Trilogo Y-Wing fighter
Great find and fantastic discoverer.
Thanks for share Stephane

ODB

Reaction score
Very nice I had always wondered if one of these existed seeing how the other large vehicles had their own Tri Logo Version.

Reaction score
It looks to be a very late release like most of the very rare Trilogo items (ie. X-Wing Fighter) and unlike the minirigs this one comes from UK (made in U.K.), it was bought in Ireland circa 1990.

Just out of interest, do you know where this was bought in Ireland , North or South?

I have an old boxed Y wing fighter up in the attic and am not sure what boxed version it is....need to check that one as it hasn't seen the light of day since it was bought back then, and I'm in Northern Ireland. Now you've got me thinkin!

Jim

Reaction score
That is a really nice example of a very rare Trilogo box. Congrats!

Reaction score
hi Stephane,

great find !
it´s a really rare and unknow piece,congrats..... have you got any idea about what countries sold this item during vintage years ?, just in UK ? i don´t remenber this item in Spain, just the bi-logo
cheers.

Reaction score
Take a good look at how different the ships are on the 2 boxes, so many details are different.

I know these ships with Tri box was available in Sweden as was the Bi-Logo boxes, probably other Scandinavian country's as well.

Reaction score
thats a pretty amazing find.

how did it come to surface (if i may ask)? flea market? private sale? did the seller know its rarity? its still crazy that new pieces are still turning up now, AND that the vintage line was still being produced and sold into the 90s in europe.

Reaction score
I´m happy that I´m not Sir Percival, otherwise the constant surfacing of holy grails would drive me nuts

Congrats on that find !!!

HWR

Reaction score
Congrats on this amazing and very important find, Stephane.

Not often, that items previously not proven to exist shows up, but this is one of those rare occasions. This makes it one of the most important finds in a long time in the world of vintage Star Wars collecting, imo.

Comparing the pictures, it's clearly two different photos, as already mentioned.

Reaction score
Incredible find, Stephane. So many *new* major European box variations have been found the last couple of years, such a treat to see. Congrats to this one and heres to finding a trilogo AT-AT soon

Jediman said:
I know these ships with Tri box was available in Sweden as was the Bi-Logo boxes, probably other Scandinavian country's as well.
Sweden and Playmix was responsible for the import to all Scandinavian countries, so the toys found here have probably also existed in the other countries. And they imported toys from all licenses so it's possible these trilogos found their way over here as well. But the import wasn't consistent and impossible to say for sure until you find an actual box in a childhood collection, with a price sticker or similiar. So it is possible the trilogo AT-AT will be found here some day. Maybe not likely, but definitely possible

Mattias

Reaction score
Hi again; thanks to all your feedbacks, I hesitated to post this in the limelight section but I figured more people would know about this find and existence of the item in the vintage section.

I found this item by a total random, it was a few months contact with another collector before setting up a meeting at his house, I knew there was a few boxed vehicles but nothing particularly rare and most of the stuff was Kenner (which I don't collect for the vehicles/playsets).

I really didn't expect to find anything interesting but I decided to go just in case I would find a Kenner/bilogo box with meccano sticker variant..

When entering into the garage, my eyes were immediatly attracted by this box and I had chills when I realized that it had a Trilogo packaging!!

I don't think this item was produced later than 1986 as all the Star Wars production had been canceled, it was bought in 1990 because it was probably unsold from the previous years.

Also, I don't think it was sold outside UK just like the Trilogo X-Wing.

As I said before about the Trilogo X-Wing, I would be really curious to know how much of those were produced since I can not believe that a production is limited to a few dozens/hundreds items... this will remain a mystery until someone share with us real data from Palitoy archives...

Reaction score
Awesome find, like everyone has said. (BTW, this is the most response I've seen to a genuinely worthy thread in a LONG time. Way to go, other boardmembers!
)

What I love, and what mystifies me, is the different pictures. What is up with that? So subtly different that one really has to wonder why it was done.

Reaction score
I have just noticed that there are subtle differences in the actual fighters....(landing gear, sticker/moulding on left side of cockpit, etc..). Does this mean there are at least two variations of Y wing figther out there or is one possibly a prototype???

Reaction score
Great find! Something about those trilogo vehicle boxes is very appealing.

I do wonder if I have seen this and the x-wing at UK toy shows over the years and just not recognised their rarity?

Lets hope an At-At shows up sometime soon!

Reaction score
chiquetaba said:
I don't think this item was produced later than 1986 as all the Star Wars production had been canceled, it was bought in 1990 because it was probably unsold from the previous years.
that does make a lot more sense than what i wrote. still a crazy find, though.

Reaction score
Awesome piece, again Mattias!!! It shows there are still pieces out there waiting for those who have the patience to look for them. Awesome find, congrats!!!

Bill

ODB

Reaction score
Jim1974 said:
I have just noticed that there are subtle differences in the actual fighters....(landing gear, sticker/moulding on left side of cockpit, etc..). Does this mean there are at least two variations of Y wing figther out there or is one possibly a prototype???
The original picture was probably made with pre production items just like the speeder bike photos on the Tri Logo posters.

Reaction score
Jim1974 said:
To me it looks like the trilogo box features the regular production toy and figures. The bilogo (the same as the regular Kenner) has figures that looks to be hardcopies and the vehicle is most likely some kind of pre-production vehicle. Maybe the trilogo picture was taken to look like the earlier version, probably because the original picture wasn't available at the time (hence the scanned and airbrushed Kenner box for the earlier bilogo version).

Mattias

Reaction score
chiquetaba said:
As I said before about the Trilogo X-Wing, I would be really curious to know how much of those were produced since I can not believe that a production is limited to a few dozens/hundreds items... this will remain a mystery until someone share with us real data from Palitoy archives...
Monster find, Stephane.

I also wonder, that these european box variations popped up so late. I don´t think these were produced in limited numbers.