Imperial Troop Transport

Reaction score
Is the ITT going to be in the regular ship line, then? I'm assuming at that Price it will be part of the Class II or I ship line or whatever they're calling that line now.

Reaction score
Looks what it is, cheap junk. An unfortunate abortion job of a vehicle that could have been quite cool if done right. Looks really poorly underscale, no heavy weapons or interior for the troops. Apparently the Stormtroopers just stand upright and await snipers to pick them off as if they're willful participates in a shooting gallery - or just hang around on the sides for extra armor for the pilot to prey that he has an extra second to hit the injection seat. Would've been nicer if this line had the same quality as the CW line where its also back compatible to the regular line.

Reaction score
The thing is, this ITT vehicle isn't intended to be a new vehicle; it's based on the Vintage Imperial Troop Transport vehicle (the first version had electronics; the second one didn't).

So, yes, while you can say that the design is flawed & doesn't make sense from a defensive standpoint (and I agree), it's very obviously a specific homage to the original vehicle, and as such looks great, IMHO.

Reaction score
Homages are cool if they serve a practical value and function and had appropriate upgrades not downgrades.

Reaction score
True, but if they had made the new ITT look too much different from the original Vintage version, then there's no way we fans/collectors (that are old enough to remember the original toy) would have any way of knowing that the new vehicle was meant to be an homage....Just my .02...

Reaction score
The Force Unleashed team did a good job updating and upgrading an unused Kenner designed vehicle, dont see why they couldnt do it either:

Reaction score
Yes, the unused design for the ITT does look edgier than the original, more box-like design. Not sure which one I like better, however....

Reaction score
^ Very nice, but too scary-looking for a Disney cartoon. :|
Watch Tron: Uprising. A Disney XD cartoon, awesomely animated, completely unique in design, mature in its themes. And let's not forget Gargoyles, Disney's answer to WB's Batman: The Animated Series.

Reaction score
I'd buy either version in a Heartbeat! Well, they'd have to do something different with the original design. To make it more aggressive toy.

Reaction score
I was skeptical about this when I saw the hasbro presentation pictures of this transport with the horrible animated style 5poa stormtrooper figures. When I took a closer look at the gallery images, it looks a lot better. I do plan on getting one. Considering that this vehicle should be a lower price point as hasbro mentioned these less articulated, less realistic style figures and vehicles would be, people who customize should be especially excited about this. A little weathering and some added details could make this an awesome new vehicle and at a more reasonable price.

Reaction score
I was skeptical about this when I saw the hasbro presentation pictures of this transport with the horrible animated style 5poa stormtrooper figures. When I took a closer look at the gallery images, it looks a lot better. I do plan on getting one. Considering that this vehicle should be a lower price point as hasbro mentioned these less articulated, less realistic style figures and vehicles would be, people who customize should be especially excited about this. A little weathering and some added details could make this an awesome new vehicle and at a more reasonable price.
Yes, it will be nice to get this - I don't like the display with the 5POA Stormtroopers either, but I'm not planning on getting any of those figures anyway. It's interesting that this is the first SW vehicle I'll be getting in 4 years (the last one I got was the excellent Twin Pod Cloud car back in 2010), and it's not even in the regular SW OT/PT line of vehicles....

Reaction score
Easy pass for me like most of Command, Mission & at least some of the BS...when Hasbro decides to get back to the glory that was TAC...then I'll lay down 12.99 at Target or Wally.

Reaction score
I opened the used vintage transport I bought, and found no electronics in the modern sense...just an old-school motor and a tiny plastic disc that played like an old vinyl LP when you press the buttons. The mechanism only needed a little persuasion to get it working again. Great that Disney and Hasbro have brought this vehicle into the new show, but for my money, the vintage toy is the greatest...:grin:
For what it's worth, there were actually two Vintage Imperial Troop Transports that came out back in the late '70's/early '80's. The first one did have the electronics with the buttons & the different voices from the film (I think); the second one was the same sculpt, but had no electronics at all - IIRC, the second non-electronic version was a Sears exclusive, but I haven't verified this...

I grew up during this Vintage OT era, and remember a friend had the electronics version; the batteries leaked all over the interior of the toy, ruining this.

Reaction score
For what it's worth, there were actually two Vintage Imperial Troop Transports that came out back in the late '70's/early '80's. The first one did have the electronics with the buttons & the different voices from the film (I think); the second one was the same sculpt, but had no electronics at all - IIRC, the second non-electronic version was a Sears exclusive, but I haven't verified this...

I grew up during this Vintage OT era, and remember a friend had the electronics version; the batteries leaked all over the interior of the toy, ruining this.

According to 12back.com:

"In 1980, a modified version of this vehicle was offered exclusively through Sears. Although often referred to as the "Imperial Troop Transport (non-talking)", the vehicle's actual title was Imperial Cruiser. The main difference in the newer version of the Transport was the lack of the talking feature."

Reaction score
According to 12back.com:

"In 1980, a modified version of this vehicle was offered exclusively through Sears. Although often referred to as the "Imperial Troop Transport (non-talking)", the vehicle's actual title was Imperial Cruiser. The main difference in the newer version of the Transport was the lack of the talking feature."
Thanks for the clarification - glad I remembered this correctly. I do recall liking the non-electronic version better, since IMHO it wasn't as "gimmicky", and had more room in the back to store the figures.

Reaction score
LEGO is doing a smaller, four "seat", version of this, that comes with 4 Stormtroopers. It's for their under $20 line.

Reaction score
This is just so absurd and reminiscent of the one I had as a kid that I absolutely must have one for us.

Just LOOKING at that thing brings back all kinds of memories.

Reaction score
So who drives this thing then ? a stormtrooper or does it have its own driver ?

Reaction score
This is just so absurd and reminiscent of the one I had as a kid that I absolutely must have one for us.

I hear that! I never had one as a kid (not sure how, as I had pretty much everything else), but always wanted one. My wife picked one up for me at a comic shop a few years back and I was ecstatic! It's one of the first real EU toys.

Reaction score
going to need at least 2-3 of these just to carry all my stormtroopers.. I'm up to 12 of them at the moment.

Reaction score
So does this get rebranded as the Imperial Fruit Transport now? (ep. 3.......)

GNT

Reaction score
As long as Hasbro gives us a crate of the fruits I don't care what they call it :p

Reaction score
Was pretty stoked to pick up a near mint re-release original vintage ITT (no electronics), coincidently merely days before this was announced. I wish they had remained a little more faithful to the original design in regards to the ****pit area. the new version seems a little odd. The toy itself really could have used some clear plastic instead of black paint for a windshield. That also bothered me on the Turbo Tank as well, but not nearly as much. Probably the one toy where smoked glass would be welcome, unlike just about every other.

Reaction score

Is this something that you'd buy?
Of course I would: I had TWO as a child, and like an idiot, I mildly mis-treated them until my dad wound up THROWING THEM AWAY. Go ahead: castigate me. Like, join the club. Will I buy the new one? Yes, yes I will, because it's a fine homage, as many have said already, to this iconic but under-valued original. After all, stormtroopers can't all ride around on dewbacks or in AT-ATs. In fact, the Star Wars universe, particularly the Imperial army, is characterized by a poor equipment list for ground transportation. The Clone Turbo Tank is by far the best land vehicle I've seen. It's not exactly the best vehicle for survivability, what with its big wheels, nor for presenting a low profile, but it's still a believable armored vehicle that could have some speed and endurance over land. The AT-TE is second, but its glass frontal ****pit and rocking turtle-like walking action suggest there'd be a lot of barf-cleanup to do on a daily basis.

But if this troop transport suggests anything to me, it's that the Republic and the Empire take a mass-produced and unsophisticated approach to troop survival. Yes, it's fiction, and they're toys, so it's not like lives are really being lost. And our own armored vehicles have been plagued by design flaws and political compromises that leave some shaking their heads: e.g. the Bradley fighting vehicle, which is in so many ways a wonderful advancement over the M113, and yet also subject to design problems that lead to drownings back when they experimented with floating Bradleys. And its severe conflation of scout vehicle, light tank, and IFV allows it to carry 6 troops -- at best. So it's not like "real" vehicles are perfect.

Even so, the Republic and Empire think about making a big army, but not necessarily about the individual soldier, and that technological context may reveal some of the brilliance of the films and shows: clones are clones -- expendable and faceless. Pump them out. Pump out their vehicles. Fight by attrition. It's all good for driving the economy, right? After all, Palpatine needs a dramatic war, not a slam-dunk. So here, we have an IFV in which the troops ride outside in "pockets" that -- even in the old vehicle -- barely rose above waist level. It's obvious that leaving your guys outside makes them totally vulnerable, not only to enemy fire but also to tree-branches, jumping monkeys, and bird-poo. If the vehicle hits a bump, bye-bye, and if the thing rolls or has an accident, you get stormtrooper-soup (even worse than in the LAV-III or M2). But that's the way of the Republic, and of the Empire (especially the Empire). Imagine spending more than 30 seconds having to ride in one of those awful little side-pockets. How do you even hold on? Grip the low edges of the pocket all day as you go out on patrol? Anyone who's spent any time in a real armored vehicle or even gone off-roading knows how sucky that would be. All of this design culture emerges from these toys, and it adds something subtle to our understanding of the Republic and of Palpatine.

So while I wouldn't order these vehicles in real life for real soldiers in any war I intended to win, I'd buy this toy/model, because it's an illustration of the Star Wars universe, and the attitudes towards war, economics, and the expendability of cloned soldiers in a giant machine of one man's totally egotistical vision.

Reaction score
Shame that the toy is so massively underscaled in comparison to the CG model.

Reaction score
Even so, really looking forward to this vehicle - depending on the price, I may get two of them. I don't mind the lack of electronics at all, since IMHO that's a double-edged sword - i.e., it could be cool to have, but also when the electronics eventually/ultimately go bad the toy seems "broken" as a result....

Reaction score
Shame that the toy is so massively underscaled in comparison to the CG model.
Exactly. It looks a good deal smaller than the vintage version in pictures. I would have paid more for a true to scale version. As it is, I will have to pass.

Reaction score

Me too, brother. I'm afraid that shows our age...lol. I recently found a box of old Wars goodies in my parents attic including my old troop transport, sadly missing the battery cover and those odd "detention harnesses" but otherwise in excellent condition.

Sorry if this has been addressed, but I'm curious if the troop containers have pegs in the bottom to help keep the stormies onboard and upright.

Reaction score
Very, very, VERY curious to see this. I always WANTED this as a child but somehow never got one for myself. Friends had them, but not me. (B.o.o. H.o.o.) No, I kid, I kid. Sure, I had tons of great Star Wars toys, but this was one vintage item I truly did have to go without. The nostalgia factor -- coupled with this endless SW toy drought has me poised to snap one of these up! And how. it's such an oddball design and it will be fun to see it resurrected and updated for the modern era. Very excited to see what this all new tooling has to offer. Can't wait for the pics tomorrow!
I was also denied this as a kid. I asked for two vehicles for Christmas, but got one (parents said, "Santa doesn't have that much money") hahahaha! I'm really looking forward to this one from a nostalgia factor, and also since it got some great screen time on Rebels. I'm going to reserve this as early as possible with the local toy shops.

Reaction score
Haven't been following Rebels (saw the first couple of episodes), but will have to start watching where I left off, especially if this Imperial Troop Transport made an appearance...though I don't like the show's animation on the people (humans/aliens), the tech looks great. And, I find it more interesting than TCW due to the time period.

Reaction score
I haven't seen this up for pre-order yet. Any word on when it might be released?

Reaction score
I haven't seen this up for pre-order yet. Any word on when it might be released?
Reports say January 2015, but that means it can arrive earlier than that or later. I'm hoping it's around by Christmas time or sooner.

Reaction score
Well after watching the tie fighter episode, you see loads of these and it seems that the drivers are indeed the guys who drive the speeder bikes aswell, similar to the AT-DP drivers.

Reaction score
Star Wars Rebels Class II Vehicle Series 02 - Case of 3 - Star Wars Star Wars Rebels Vehicles

That's the only Thing I've seen about what's coming next in the vehicle line. It seems that wave 2 in Rebels packaging is going to be Obi-Wan's ROTS blue jedi starfighter, Anakin's TCW yellow jedi starfighter, and Boba's Slave I (all which were in the Vader packaging before). Schedule for November.

I can't imagine there's much demand for those three ships, though. Maybe Hasbro overproduced them and decided to put them in Rebels packaging. If so, it might be a longer wait for the troop Transport then.

Reaction score
Star Wars Rebels Class II Vehicle Series 02 - Case of 3 - Star Wars Star Wars Rebels Vehicles

That's the only Thing I've seen about what's coming next in the vehicle line. It seems that wave 2 in Rebels packaging is going to be Obi-Wan's ROTS blue jedi starfighter, Anakin's TCW yellow jedi starfighter, and Boba's Slave I (all which were in the Vader packaging before). Schedule for November.

I can't imagine there's much demand for those three ships, though. Maybe Hasbro overproduced them and decided to put them in Rebels packaging. If so, it might be a longer wait for the troop Transport then.
And this one

Star Wars Class II Attack Vehicles Wave 4 - Hasbro - Star Wars - Vehicles at Entertainment Earth

Reaction score
Disappointing news - The Imperial Troop Transport should have been one of the first vehicles released in this line, not something we have to wait to see next year (or who knows when). Ridiculous.

I am getting caught up with Rebels & just saw E3 - very nice, and I like how the ITT was featured. However, I am disappointed that the vehicle on the show is so much larger than the actual toy; I wish the toy were much larger. Unless the toy pics. we saw were prototypes, but I doubt it....

Also like the ITT drivers, which they will make figures of - they look like a cross between an AT-AT Driver (from ESB) & a Stormtrooper - great unique design...

Reaction score
I am hoping we get the ITT driver figure, too. I am sad the ship isn't bigger, but I do think this will still be fun.