Imperial Troop Transport

GNT

Reaction score
An Imperial Troop Transport was shown at SDCC and will be released early 2015, what are your thoughts on this?

Is this something that you'd buy?

Last edited:
Reaction score
It is really quite fascinating how the vehicles of Rebels have been partly influenced by Kenner's toys. Small wing TIE fighters, and this Troop Transport, really owe so much of their design to the imaginations and constraints of toy manufacturing in the late 70's and early 80's.

Reaction score
I rarely buy vehicles due to space, but I just may get one of these. I hope some of the Kenner mini-rigs show up in Rebels!

Reaction score
Very, very, VERY curious to see this. I always WANTED this as a child but somehow never got one for myself. Friends had them, but not me. (B.o.o. H.o.o.) No, I kid, I kid. Sure, I had tons of great Star Wars toys, but this was one vintage item I truly did have to go without. The nostalgia factor -- coupled with this endless SW toy drought has me poised to snap one of these up! And how. it's such an oddball design and it will be fun to see it resurrected and updated for the modern era. Very excited to see what this all new tooling has to offer. Can't wait for the pics tomorrow!

Reaction score
Never had the Transporter either as a kid. A few years ago I picked up a used Troop Transporter from Brianstoys. the electronics don't work but it was more of a show piece. Very cool. I like the picture of what it looks like from the Cartoon. If they can match that. Big win.

Reaction score
it is so cool they brought that back. I never thought something that kenner invented like that would be in a star wars tv show, let alone Hasbro make a new modern version of it. I don't normally collect the ground vehicles, only starfighters, but I'll have to make an exception for this.

Reaction score
Wow!! I really, really, REALLY like this! Face it! The updates were definitely needed to make this oddball exciting enough to be in a show and I think it looks pretty dang sweet. The way it appears to open up intrigues me, too. (See the presentation image.) And at $25... the price is right. I'm really excited about this piece. Wish it was launching closer to the show's premiere... Also wish this wasn't THE ONLY thing I had to be excited about. But hey, this is the coolest toy in a long time in my book.

GNT

Reaction score
Picture of it opened, looks really good and has some play value as well, not passing this one up:

Reaction score
Really disappointed in how underscaled this is. It looks to be a good bit smaller than the vintage vehicle.

Reaction score
Picture of it opened, looks really good and has some play value as well, not passing this one up:
Please tell me that those are really tall Stormtroopers and that the transport isn't ridiculously under-sized. Seriously, Hasbro? This was about the ONLY thing at SDCC that interested me or didn't inspire nausea.

Reaction score
Very disappointing how small this is. And they couldn't even work out a way to have cockpit doors. That opening roof is bizarre to me.

Reaction score
Very disappointing how small this is. And they couldn't even work out a way to have cockpit doors. That opening roof is bizarre to me.
I don't think it is that small actually. It's just that it is now designed so the troopers aren't buried in the slots up to their waist -- which always struck me as rather odd. To me the slots are the exact same size -- look closely -- only they are now just lower at the top as part of it is a cut out... I like the roof and it looks like there is interesting weapon storage potential...

Reaction score
A few years ago I picked up a used Troop Transporter from Brianstoys. the electronics don't work but it was more of a show piece.
I opened the used vintage transport I bought, and found no electronics in the modern sense...just an old-school motor and a tiny plastic disc that played like an old vinyl LP when you press the buttons. The mechanism only needed a little persuasion to get it working again. Great that Disney and Hasbro have brought this vehicle into the new show, but for my money, the vintage toy is the greatest...:grin:

Reaction score
I don't mind that this vehicle doesn't have electronics... BUT if I had them, I would have GLADLY paid more for this toy. As it stands now though, I agree... It offers A LOT of bang for the buck... :)

Reaction score
Just wish this could be released in a vintage style box given that it's based in an original Kenner design. I'm still blown away by the fact that this is actually a new toy. Of all the vintage vehicles Hasbro has remade and improved upon, I never expected the Imperial Transport to get revisisted! It makes me hope that the Rebels cartoon might feature some of the Kenner mini-rigs, which in turn could result in some of those getting new treatments in the toy line too.

Reaction score
Just wish this could be released in a vintage style box given that it's based in an original Kenner design. I'm still blown away by the fact that this is actually a new toy. Of all the vintage vehicles Hasbro has remade and improved upon, I never expected the Imperial Transport to get revisisted! It makes me hope that the Rebels cartoon might feature some of the Kenner mini-rigs, which in turn could result in some of those getting new treatments in the toy line too.
I haven't bought a new Star Wars vehicle for years; I think the last one was the excellent Twin-Pod Cloud Car back in 2010. However, this new Imperial Troop Transport this is a must buy for me; as a child of the OOT, I was a fan of the original back in the day (though I never had the one with the electronics; I think I may have the non-electronic one floating around somewhere). And, I'm also surprised that they're re-doing this. Excellent!

Reaction score
This is the one vehicle shown that I'm excited about. I played with my original one quite a bit back in the day.

Reaction score
i think between this thing and the new walker i'll be using these for Rebel vehicles and not Imperial. my rebels need more then just x-wings and antiquated Y-wing molds for my figures.

Reaction score
It doesn't look underscaled, it might just be because the lid is open to show it off.
I know I'll be buying it anyway :3

Looks like a fun toy and come on, kids will be getting the Star Wars feel from years ago for the new trilogy!

How brilliant is this?

I'm excited for the Christmas at retail to see how many shift and who they go to the most

Ben

Reaction score
Reaction score
My sentiments exactly. The lack of front doors and the too-low trooper pods are a worse design. I was looking forward to this one but now I'll need to see it in hand first.
Yeah, the design of the prototype did look more nicer looking. I do like the newer version but as Darthstan said they could have moved the troop compartments up a bit.

Reaction score
An Imperial Troop Transport was shown at SDCC and will be released early 2015, what are your thoughts on this?
My thought is mainly "Scrap it & start over."

Too blocky. It looks like it was designed to use less computer processing power to animate it.

Reaction score
Really looking forward to this - despite the criticisms of this vehicle, the old-skool Imperial Troop Transport design really does it for me. I don't mind that it doesn't look exactly like the old vehicle; the fact that it's an obvious homage is enough for me...

What's cool about this too is that the kids that will be buying this/seeing it on the show won't have any idea that the design was taken from an old-skool design (unless their parents tell them), but the collectors/fans who had this toy back in the day will appreciate this for the nostalgia aspect....

Reaction score
I thought I'd be down for this but it's just not holding my attention. Talk to me when they make a troop transport with wings, say a larger Imperial Shuttle.