Imperial TIE Fighter

Reaction score
I didn't have a problem for a long time, then one day...poof one wing popped off and wouldn't stay on. I performed the fix detailed above (which I had to do many years ago on one of my vintage TIEs). A couple of weeks ago...poof, there went the other wing.

I think (and this is just a theory) that Hasbro had to use more powerful springs than the original (decades old) design for the larger panels. These springs exert more pressure and therefore, over time, cause the mechanism to fail.

IMO, the whole "wings popping off" feature should have been abandoned long ago. I mean, when I was a 10 year old kid it was kind of cool, but it also worked better then.
Agreed, it was much more effective with the shorter wings...first time I tried it with the larger sized TVC version, I nearly took out the family dog.

Reaction score
At least with this fix it removes the pointless spring feature. Without causing visible damage or having to take apart the Pod.
The upside down wings look the same and are still able to be removed. I'm just glad it's a fix anyone should be able to do as long as they are patient and have the right tools.

Reaction score
I didn't have a problem for a long time, then one day...poof one wing popped off and wouldn't stay on. I performed the fix detailed above (which I had to do many years ago on one of my vintage TIEs). A couple of weeks ago...poof, there went the other wing.

I think (and this is just a theory) that Hasbro had to use more powerful springs than the original (decades old) design for the larger panels. These springs exert more pressure and therefore, over time, cause the mechanism to fail.

IMO, the whole "wings popping off" feature should have been abandoned long ago. I mean, when I was a 10 year old kid it was kind of cool, but it also worked better then.
I'm old enough to have played with the vintage, not Vintage, TIE. I appreciate the exploding wings... when they worked. And the wings on this one stayed on for the first couple of weeks. Now it's an OSHA violation.

Reaction score
At least with this fix it removes the pointless spring feature. Without causing visible damage or having to take apart the Pod.
The upside down wings look the same and are still able to be removed. I'm just glad it's a fix anyone should be able to do as long as they are patient and have the right tools.
Thank you for the recommendation. A couple of minutes with needle-nose pliers and finesse. But the wing falls off if the TIE is "on its side." Any suggestion other than permanently adhesive?

Reaction score
Hmm...I haven't had that problem with either of my wings. Did you turn them upside down before re-inserting them? Mine are in there pretty snug.

Reaction score
Thank you for the recommendation. A couple of minutes with needle-nose pliers and finesse. But the wing falls off if the TIE is "on its side." Any suggestion other than permanently adhesive?
They should be able to stay on if you put them on upside down, with that small peg removed. Without being upside down, they will just fall off.

Reaction score
They should be able to stay on if you put them on upside down, with that small peg removed. Without being upside down, they will just fall off.
I did that, but if the ship rotates to its side, there is nothing to maintain the pylon's grip on the wing.

Reaction score
I did that, but if the ship rotates to its side, there is nothing to maintain the pylon's grip on the wing.
I may have to try and take a video and post it. In the original position, they fall right off when turned. I tried with them upside down, and they staying on even after shaking the entire ship sideways.

Reaction score
Hanging out in a room with shelves full of TVC
After I got the springs out I hit my wing struts/wing connectors with a small dab of hotglue, its not permanent but sturdy but it can leave some residue i have to peel off lol. Or you can try using museum putty (sold at home depot/lowes etc) while not as sturdy it'd come off easier.

Reaction score
Is there any place that still has these cheap anywhere?
Some online stores still have these marked down, but not crazy cheap like Walmart clearance. I think BBTS has it for $40, and Dorkside for $30 (non-mint box).

Reaction score
Got mine from Dorkside. Might have been as low as $20 at the time, though I may be thinking of the Skiff from Amazon or the Imp tank from Kids Warehouse. Got two piggies from Dorkside at the same time. Great deal. Took a while on shipping, but I believe the TIE was on backorder at the time. I am an opener, but if I were a MIB collector, I would have been pleased with the cards. Much better than Amazon.

Reaction score
Dean, if you can still get it for $30 anywhere, do it now. The wing situation is very flawed, much worse than the 2009 Target release, but it is a beautiful thing to behold.

Reaction score
Just got mine from Dorkside. Does anyone else think the top hatch is a noticeably darker grey than the rest of the body of the ship? I get that it’s painted versus the color of the plastic because of the clear top windows but mine kind of looks like it’s wearing a dark cap. I haven’t seen any reviewers mention this.

Reaction score
I don't think so. In fact, I really like the tinted "window (transparisteel)" part of the canopy. Possible the finest canopy Kenner or Hasbro has ever done, certainly their best in fighter class.

Reaction score
That is such a shame, I would have really loved that folding wing TIE Fighter as it looked amazing when parked.
You ain't the only one. I LOVE imperial fighters but i'm past the point of another basic TIE, Gimme TIE BRUTE and Gideon's TIE..although I did customize my own TIE BRUTE and this vintage also needs to be done (this should've been the recent WM excl
00 solo tie custom.jpgederfderth.jpg

Reaction score
FYI for anyone looking, TVC TIE Fighter is on sale at BBTS for 50% off right now- 39.99

Thinking it'll look pretty sweet in the TVC corner hanging from some fishing line..

Reaction score
Oo, nice image. Then I gotta get an X-wing to hang behind it.. 😯

I don't feel like replacing drywall though so hanging new 20# BMF is not an option
I think he means you better secure the wings in addition to the main capsule on the TIE for when the wings inevitably pop off by themselves. You don't want them falling to the ground.

Reaction score
I think he means you better secure the wings in addition to the main capsule on the TIE for when the wings inevitably pop off by themselves. You don't want them falling to the ground.
Yes, take out the springs and put in the wings upside down. Absolutely love mine now after doing this...don't miss the ejecting wing feature at all.