Imperial TIE Fighter

Reaction score
How much do you think it would cost to ship this to Australia?
Haven't a clue, but I stopped by today and couldn't find it anywhere, even though Brickseek still shows it as in stock. The only associate working in the area was incredibly unhelpful as well. (It might of had something to do with him appearing stoned and being more interested in checking out the new Marvel Legends figures.)

Reaction score
Broke and ordered one from Ebay a couple weeks ago. $37 with added taxes and shipping cost, i ended up paying nearly $75. Far from being the best bargain ever but still a good deal when overseas etailers still have it priced at $110 before shipping.

Reaction score
Has anyone determined which Tie Fighter was closest to the movie proportions? I thought I saw somewhere on here that it had been compared.

Reaction score
Has anyone determined which Tie Fighter was closest to the movie proportions? I thought I saw somewhere on here that it had been compared.
Yes and the wings are still too big. It was many pages ago I believe, but the SOLO TIE is so far the closest in most people's eyes.

Reaction score
The solo wings are too small and the VC wings are too big, more classic examples of Hasbro pretending to screw up in the name of making more money off of us. Every time they correct these flaws they make us buy it again. How many times has the battery compartment from the old mold been released before they fixed it to the ingress egress hatch, how many times has the hatch on top been released before it was fixed, how many times were the laser guns fixed on the front before it was fixed, how many times was it released with the old cockpit seat, how many times has the color been changed, how many times have the wings been redone and they're still not fixed! Everytime we see this vehicle released regardless of the version, the design, movie, tv show whatever, it is still not correct! I'm sticking with the VC style and I'm jamming the wings in upside down when they pop off so it doesn't happen again. The next version of these Tie Fighter molds whether they are re-tooled again or not will be the blue color from ESB and ROTJ. I'm thinking something will be done next year for ESB's Anniversary. Let's say they correct all the flaws on the ESB version, proper wing scale and color scheme, those seem to be the only 2 things left to fix, well that means we'll see the ANH version get the same wings and be released again! Oh and don't even get me started on the Tie Bomber we'll probably see that come out again next year as well, that one has been released 4 times now and they can't even get the color correct! Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Hasbro, I just hate the underhanded ways they get us to buy the same thing over and over again...I grow tired of this game.

Reaction score
The Solo Tie just look extra small compared to the VC X-wing.
Considering the VC X-Wing is currently too small, I'm okay with the SOLO Tie being slightly underscaled. Between the two (neither the TVC TIE or the SOLO TIE being correct) I feel like the SOLO TIE is closer to being correct. Accurate is probably somewhere in between the two releases.

Reaction score
Considering the VC X-Wing is currently too small, I'm okay with the SOLO Tie being slightly underscaled. Between the two (neither the TVC TIE or the SOLO TIE being correct) I feel like the SOLO TIE is closer to being correct. Accurate is probably somewhere in between the two releases.
I hear you. I, however tend to lean more toward the VC Tie because IMO its closer to scale with the X Wing. Who knows if they will ever fix them.

Reaction score
The solo wings are too small and the VC wings are too big, more classic examples of Hasbro pretending to screw up in the name of making more money off of us. Every time they correct these flaws they make us buy it again. How many times has the battery compartment from the old mold been released before they fixed it to the ingress egress hatch, how many times has the hatch on top been released before it was fixed, how many times were the laser guns fixed on the front before it was fixed, how many times was it released with the old cockpit seat, how many times has the color been changed, how many times have the wings been redone and they're still not fixed! Everytime we see this vehicle released regardless of the version, the design, movie, tv show whatever, it is still not correct! I'm sticking with the VC style and I'm jamming the wings in upside down when they pop off so it doesn't happen again. The next version of these Tie Fighter molds whether they are re-tooled again or not will be the blue color from ESB and ROTJ. I'm thinking something will be done next year for ESB's Anniversary. Let's say they correct all the flaws on the ESB version, proper wing scale and color scheme, those seem to be the only 2 things left to fix, well that means we'll see the ANH version get the same wings and be released again! Oh and don't even get me started on the Tie Bomber we'll probably see that come out again next year as well, that one has been released 4 times now and they can't even get the color correct! Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Hasbro, I just hate the underhanded ways they get us to buy the same thing over and over again...I grow tired of this game.

Yeah, it's as if Hasbro doesn't want to give us definitive versions.

Reaction score
I hear you. I, however tend to lean more toward the VC Tie because IMO its closer to scale with the X Wing. Who knows if they will ever fix them.
I doubt it at this point. And if they did I'm sure the price would be astronomical considering how much they were charging for these re-releases.

Reaction score
Yeah, it's as if Hasbro doesn't want to give us definitive versions.
They've done the same thing consistently with DSII Lukes and their stupid Obi-Wan lightsabers. They have yet to give us a proper ROTJ Luke with the correct lightsaber hilt. The only time they have was in the 5POA line - go figure!

Reaction score
I found these images on the RPF. They compare the Hasbro TIE Fighter with large wings to a studio scale TIE Fighter highlighting the difference between the two..

[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the comparison pic. Big fan of the TVC Tie Fighter - only after I got this for $19, of course ;) It does have a nice sculpt, and as far as I knew - it was screen accurate & to scale with the Tie's in the OT.

However, in this comparison pic. it clearly shows that the TVC Tie Fighter actually has smaller wings when compared to the studio scale Tie. Go figure.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah that pic shows the Hasbro wings are too small. How comes the general consensus is that the wings were supposedly made too big?

Reaction score
Yeah that pic shows the Hasbro wings are too small. How comes the general consensus is that the wings were supposedly made too big?
No, it shows that when the studio TIE cockpit is scaled down to the same physical size as the Hasbro TIE cockpit, the Hasbro TIE wings are too big. The top image isn't really necessary to show this, and I'm not exactly sure the reason the top image was created. Maybe the thread on the RPF forum explains.

Reaction score
So this is showing that the big wings TVC Hasbro cockpit is too small and the wings are too big, correct?

And the wings are presumably too small on the classic size TIE.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No, it shows that when the studio TIE cockpit is scaled down to the same physical size as the Hasbro TIE cockpit, the Hasbro TIE wings are too big. The top image isn't really necessary to show this, and I'm not exactly sure the reason the top image was created. Maybe the thread on the RPF forum explains.
I believe the top image shows the scale of the studio model compared to the toy. Then as you said the second shows the studio model's cockpit shrunk down to the size of the toy's cockpit, demonstrating how the toy's wings are too big, proportional to the cockpit, when compared to the studio model.

Reaction score
I believe the top image shows the scale of the studio model compared to the toy. Then as you said the second shows the studio model's cockpit shrunk down to the size of the toy's cockpit, demonstrating how the toy's wings are too big, proportional to the cockpit, when compared to the studio model.
That's what I'm not sure about. What scale is the top image supposed to be? Is the real studio model coincidentally 1:18 scale or was the imaged sized to 1:18 scale? Is the top image showing a studio scale model at 1:18 scale? Meaning the Hasbro toy cockpit is undersized for 1:18 scale. And, perhaps Hasbro was trying to at least make the wings closer to 1:18 scale even though the cockpit is too small?

What they should have done in the top image was make both images match with regard to wing size, then we could see that the cockpits are mismatched in size. Then we can contrast that in the the bottom image to see how the wings compare when the cockpits are sized to match.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Star Wars figures are supposed to be 1:18. The TVC TIE mold isn't a true 1:18 scale. The cockpit is undersized for 1:18 and the wings are undersized for 1:18. But all vehicles are undersized. The Falcon for instance is massively undersized. So, if you accept the undersized TIE AND then decide to look at proportions. Then the second pic shows that the wings are too big compared to the cockpit.

So one of two things need to happen here.

You either upsize the cockpit AND the wings. Perfect 1:18 scale TIE.

Or you accept the undersized cockpit and the wings need to be scaled down. Not 1:18 but at least is properly proportioned.

I'd be curious to see how the SOLO TIE matched up proportion wise.

Reaction score
The first image is showing the size of the studio props versus the toy. Then the second image scales the Hasbro toy to the point where the cockpit size aligns. This shows that the Hasbro wings are too big to be in proportion. Neither image is trying to demonstrate 1:18 scale. That would be another matter of comparison.

The non-proportionate TIEs have always been a sore spot for me. Even as a kid, I was disappointed that the original small wings TIE were obviously too small plus the battery compartment made me hate electronics on toys. I was happier when the large TIE wings came out and removed the battery compartment/modeling the proper back, but was still disappointed that the proportions were now overshot. Anger leads to hate... I can't believe they didn't try to stay inline with the prop/blueprints. Saving plastic on the wings could have allowed the cockpit to be slightly bigger and the packaging costs by reducing the box size.

I once went to a museum that featured some of the props. The ships were unable to have consistent scale between each other especially the larger ships.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
I had a minute, and a pic of a TIE from the ANH escape the DS scene, so I thought I'd re-measure the ratio of wing to cockpit pod to a get a definitive answer. This pic shows my poor-man's measuring attempt, with the wing red line better positioned to match the perspective of the pod's position. I literally took a ruler to my screen, and found the pod to be exactly 1.5 inches tall,and the wing to be exactly 5 inches tall. That produces a ratio of 1 to 3.33, making the wing longer than 3 times the pod height, but not as much as 3.5 times (and certainly not 4 times like the toy). And next to it is a pic of 1:4 scale (like the toy) where I upsized the same wing to 4 times the height of the pod (6 inches compared to the 1.5 of the pod). Not too bad, and the toy is beautiful, but the ratio could be a little closer...

Reaction score
Star Wars figures are supposed to be 1:18.
No, they aren't.
A standard 6' tall person equates to a 4" figure in 1:18 scale.
With Star Wars, a standard 6' tall person is 3.75", which works out to being like 1:19.2, which is why they are generally just referred to as 3.75" scale.

But aside from the 1:18 scale part, I agree with your post. :grin:
Since, like you said, the Falcon is undersized, I actually really like the Solo TIE in comparison to the BMF.
Also prefer the POTF2 X-Wing because of it's size, in relation to the other ships that are out.
To me the Power F/X through Vintage Collection X-Wing scale looks too big compared to the other ships in the line.
Of course this could also be argued as a reason for new molds on the other ships, which is a whole other part of the conversation.

Reaction score
The first image is showing the size of the studio props versus the toy. Then the second image scales the Hasbro toy to the point where the cockpit size aligns. This shows that the Hasbro wings are too big to be in proportion. Neither image is trying to demonstrate 1:18 scale. That would be another matter of comparison.

The non-proportionate TIEs have always been a sore spot for me. Even as a kid, I was disappointed that the original small wings TIE were obviously too small plus the battery compartment made me hate electronics on toys. I was happier when the large TIE wings came out and removed the battery compartment/modeling the proper back, but was still disappointed that the proportions were now overshot. Anger leads to hate... I can't believe they didn't try to stay inline with the prop/blueprints. Saving plastic on the wings could have allowed the cockpit to be slightly bigger and the packaging costs by reducing the box size.

I once went to a museum that featured some of the props. The ships were unable to have consistent scale between each other especially the larger ships.
OK, so they just took the real life size of the studio model and the real life size of the toy and compared them in the top image. Interesting to see how similar in size they are. I just assumed the studio model would be kind of small in size, but judging from these pics I Googled it seems like the studio models are decently sized.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks to me as it's the same problem that's been discussed previously, that cockpit ball of the TIE needs to be bigger, then the wings would actually look correct on the TVC TIE.

Just looking at those Y-Wings, it really makes me optimistic we'll finally get a classic OT ship with the "big" treatment one day soon!

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, this is much ado about nothing. IMHO, the TVC Tie (and the other big-wing Tie's that have come out over the years) are obviously a lot more to scale than the Vintage & earlier POTF2 Ties. Yes, they may not be exactly to scale - but they're a lot more film accurate than the original releases. Personally, this TVC Tie is one of my most prized collectibles.

Reaction score
and now a ship's cockpit is being flagged ... the only downside of the new site redesign I've seen so far. I mean, come on. It's in the context of a larger word, but I digress....

Reaction score
They went up the ventilation shaft.

Come on, let's go and play ball.

Hurry up, golden rod.

They came from behind.

(Just trying to see what works and what doesn't...)

Reaction score
Just looking at those Y-Wings, it really makes me optimistic we'll finally get a classic OT ship with the "big" treatment one day soon!
I hope so. I believe they're going to be in "Rise of Skywalker", so hopefully Hasbro will take the hint this time and do it right.

Those guys are truly the geniuses behind the movie. Every ship they made was iconic. One thing I just noticed. If this picture was taken in 1976 when they were making the models for the movie, how is it the guy in the back has a T-shirt with an X-Wing already on it?