Imperial TIE Fighter

Reaction score
Ah yes the good ol' out of town Walmart stop while on a road trip. Always interesting.

Reaction score
Yay now the other wing won't lock in! This has simultaneously become one of my favorite and my absolute least favorite vehicle!

Reaction score
Yeah I remember I never saw ONE Emperor Guard form the BS 3.75" around me whatsoever, checked many area Wal-Marts. I drive 8 hours up to Maine and sure enough, pegs FULL of them! I bought 4 thinking that Hasbro will obviously rerelease him on a Vintage card. Felt great sticking it to the scumbag scalpers trying to extort $100+ from a single figure that was only ever offered in an online wave. I remember that was during the whole Rogue One toy drop as well that year.

Reaction score
I find that whenever I'm vacation and I see a Walmart I hit the jackpot. I remember back in 2008 I stopped in a Walmart in Williamsburg Virginia and was able to find all of the droid factory 2 packs as well as the 3 exclusive comic packs. sometimes the smaller / sleepy towns get more product

Reaction score
I find that whenever I'm vacation and I see a Walmart I hit the jackpot. I remember back in 2008 I stopped in a Walmart in Williamsburg Virginia and was able to find all of the droid factory 2 packs as well as the 3 exclusive comic packs. sometimes the smaller / sleepy towns get more product
Totally - ironic because that stuff probably ends up rotting on the pegs forever since it takes someone like ourselves to go in there and clean the product out and appreciate it.

Reaction score
Ha, was it the one by Great Wolf Lodge? That was the same one that I was referring to earlier in my post. :D

Reaction score
I finally got around to modifying this TIE. I snipped the springs about a quarter of the way in and now the wings seems to have no pressure on them. I hope this fixes everything, though I'm honestly bummed that they don't blow off anymore. I think it's an awesome feature with fun creativity, it just needs a renovation in design.

Reaction score
Heading to Orlando Airport to pick up step daughter today, going to stop off at a WM along the way that has three listed in stock at $19, fingers crossed. The WM's near me don't even show up on brickseek anymore but they have plenty of stock at $45 and $59 on the clearance aisle.

Reaction score
Anyone notice the variant on the pilot pistol? Mine is black and a friend's is grey. We bought them at the same time.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
I had a minute, and a pic of a TIE from the ANH escape the DS scene, so I thought I'd re-measure the ratio of wing to cockpit pod to a get a definitive answer. This pic shows my poor-man's measuring attempt, with the wing red line better positioned to match the perspective of the pod's position. I literally took a ruler to my screen, and found the pod to be exactly 1.5 inches tall,and the wing to be exactly 5 inches tall. That produces a ratio of 1 to 3.33, making the wing longer than 3 times the pod height, but not as much as 3.5 times (and certainly not 4 times like the toy). And next to it is a pic of 1:4 scale (like the toy) where I upsized the same wing to 4 times the height of the pod (6 inches compared to the 1.5 of the pod). Not too bad, and the toy is beautiful, but the ratio could be a little closer...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Agreed - especially in the case of these TVC Tie's - LOL.
i found that my tie fighter wing finally popped off yesterday. Cut the spring down, super duck taped the catch mechanism. So far it is holding. Not functional but at least the wing is staying put.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had a minute, and a pic of a TIE from the ANH escape the DS scene, so I thought I'd re-measure the ratio of wing to cockpit pod to a get a definitive answer. This pic shows my poor-man's measuring attempt, with the wing red line better positioned to match the perspective of the pod's position. I literally took a ruler to my screen, and found the pod to be exactly 1.5 inches tall,and the wing to be exactly 5 inches tall. That produces a ratio of 1 to 3.33, making the wing longer than 3 times the pod height, but not as much as 3.5 times (and certainly not 4 times like the toy). And next to it is a pic of 1:4 scale (like the toy) where I upsized the same wing to 4 times the height of the pod (6 inches compared to the 1.5 of the pod). Not too bad, and the toy is beautiful, but the ratio could be a little closer...

Yeah it's weird that they hadn't gotten these proportions right. I always thought the the Big Wing TIEs looked too big, but I do love the color on the new one and happily paid the $19 for it. It really sucks the wing blast feature ruins the fun of the vehicle. I always loved that the TIE's wings could launch ever since I was a kid.

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to find the youtube video fix? I tried to search it, and can't seem to find it. Other than that, I guess I'll just have to try and take mine apart and cut the springs a little shorter.

Reaction score
I was going to fix mine but could not get it open. Thought it would disassemble like a vintage tie...i was wrong mine seemes glued together. Proceed with caution.

Reaction score
I was going to fix mine but could not get it open. Thought it would disassemble like a vintage tie...i was wrong mine seemes glued together. Proceed with caution.
I've heard from a few people that they are not glued together, but the pegs that hold them are pretty tight. It takes a bit to work them apart.

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to find the youtube video fix? I tried to search it, and can't seem to find it. Other than that, I guess I'll just have to try and take mine apart and cut the springs a little shorter.
I didn't make a video, but I think I was one of the first confirming I cut the spring before it broke. So far mine is holding up just fine. Take it apart, there are pictures of it coming apart earlier in the thread. Then I clipped 1 and 1/2 rotations of the spring. So one full loop around, and then another half way around.

Reaction score
If i can find another on the cheap i am going to get one to rip apart. I originally planned to take the clip mechanism out and reinforce it with a metal sleeve type of add on. I love the vehicle and think its a crime how these were designed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I didn't make a video, but I think I was one of the first confirming I cut the spring before it broke. So far mine is holding up just fine. Take it apart, there are pictures of it coming apart earlier in the thread. Then I clipped 1 and 1/2 rotations of the spring. So one full loop around, and then another half way around.
Does your wing still blow off or is just holding them in position?

Reaction score
It still functions fine, it just doesn't "shot" at a crazy speed, as trimming the spring reduces tension and therefore release speed when using the feature.
I think I took off too much spring myself. I should have experimented, but I assumed taking a 1/4 off would be fine. It doesn't even have tension on it now.

Reaction score
Ugh, now lost two Tie Wings. Second wing blew off and knocked a display over. No idea where the piece that broke off went either. This is ridiculous. I know I got it reduced price but such shoddy workmanship. I bought this months ago so it can’t be returned.

Reaction score
mine went inside and it was lodged in. Kind of makes you reconsider 100 for the new x wing. Btw my white version of this tie is perfectly fine. Why is this one breaking?

Reaction score
Ugh, now lost two Tie Wings. Second wing blew off and knocked a display over. No idea where the piece that broke off went either. This is ridiculous. I know I got it reduced price but such shoddy workmanship. I bought this months ago so it can’t be returned.
And it wouldn't matter, because you'd just get another that would do the same thing. Saw your post on IG BlueHarvest, if you contact Hasbro they should absolutely be responsible and on the hook for shipping us all who request it new springs and activator tabs and a quick diagram how to reassemble it. That's what good companies do. That's what good customer service looks like - something that a Fortune 500 company should know ALL about. If you make any progress on that front, def. let us all know. I may try my luck as well!

Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion if this TIE is considered the most accurate version so far. I have mine still sealed in box and wondering if it's worth getting a 2nd for opening.

Reaction score
Man, the Solo movie Tie Fighter, is, in my opinion, easily the best to date.

I think I have six of those things. Such a great ship....especially at less that $20 with the Tie Pilot figure at BBTS.

It's a must buy.

Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion if this TIE is considered the most accurate version so far. I have mine still sealed in box and wondering if it's worth getting a 2nd for opening.

Technically, these "Larger" wings are TOO big. But as far as color and detail, yes. If the wings were a bit smaller, it would be probably the closest thing to movie accurate.

Reaction score
I came home from work today and noticed the wing on the second TIE I got fell off. On the first one it was the left wing, now on this one it was the right wing. I put this together maybe a few weeks ago, whereas the previous one lasted a month before coming apart.

I'm just going to do the same thing on this one as I did on the first TIE - pull out the spring entirely, then clip off the little tab inside and put the wing back on upside down. Thanks again to Billy_Ray for this technique. His technique can be found on page 79 of this thread. I don't really care too much about the exploding wings, yeah I would have liked for them to work, but its a shame we have to do these types of fixes.

Reaction score
Are these still being found for $19USD?

Some say they found some. I check Brickseek and stores say they have at least 2 in stock or some say limited stock. None of the stores have any when we go look. I found one for $59 at on WM and it was the only one. They said the markdown to $19 was not in their system, so they couldnt mark it down yet. Go back two days later, and it was gone.

Reaction score
I'd have taken that. We never got them retail in Australia. There are some online stores that are selling them but they are $200 AUD. We're getting screwed over royally.

I saw one just last week for $19, IN the Star Wars section. The box was beat to crap though, and it looked like it might have been opened maybe.

Reaction score
Not sure what shipping is costing these days but the Walmart clearance prices really dropped the price on the secondary market. It’s still a good time to get one, even if it’s more that $19 might still be only $40 instead of MSRP.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I came home from work today and noticed the wing on the second TIE I got fell off. On the first one it was the left wing, now on this one it was the right wing. I put this together maybe a few weeks ago, whereas the previous one lasted a month before coming apart.

I'm just going to do the same thing on this one as I did on the first TIE - pull out the spring entirely, then clip off the little tab inside and put the wing back on upside down. Thanks again to Billy_Ray for this technique. His technique can be found on page 79 of this thread. I don't really care too much about the exploding wings, yeah I would have liked for them to work, but its a shame we have to do these types of fixes.
I had a similar problem, the springs were snapping the wedges on the end of the hooks off. Fortunately Krazy Glue is stronger than plastic, and I can now still use the springs.