Imperial TIE Fighter

Reaction score
If there were anything spectacular about this release, like lights or sounds, I probably would have at least considered paying the full $80 for this thing. Where it is nothing more than a different color, and using parts that have all been used at least once before, $80.00 for this is ridiculous. We all knew it. I do understand not getting as many vehicles if everyone keeps waiting for clearance, but throw something at us that hasn't been done before, and we as collectors, will pay up.
I have mixed feelings about electronics on vehicles. Yes, on one hand they look & sound cool. On the other hand, I have had batteries leak over the years, thereby ruining the toy. And/or the batteries will eventually die, requiring replacement. So, I don't mind vehicles without electronics. Though, I do agree that in this case of TVC TIE - it would have added value to a toy that was already extremely overpriced to begin with.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about electronics on vehicles. Yes, on one hand they look & sound cool. On the other hand, I have had batteries leak over the years, thereby ruining the toy. And/or the batteries will eventually die, requiring replacement. So, I don't mind vehicles without electronics. Though, I do agree that in this case of TVC TIE - it would have added value to a toy that was already extremely overpriced to begin with.
Electronics just need proper maintenance like anything else in life. The best part is, you never have to put them in!

Reaction score
I Only had to replace my Naboo Royal Star Ships THIS YEAR ... from 1999, they worked geatuntil my 4yo discovered that liked the sounds o them and ran around the house with them on blast for about a week straight a couple of months ago. My Queens star ship is sill going strong!. The newer stuff isnt that efficient for example my MMTs an turbo tank have needed them a couple of times.

Reaction score
Yesterday my WalMart was down to its last Tie-Fighter (still at $59). Today there are two. I guess someone hid one and it was found. I talked to the Manager about why this Walmart hasn't marked them down for clearance. He said that they were already marked down from $79. He really didn't have an answer.

Reaction score
Yesterday my WalMart was down to its last Tie-Fighter (still at $59). Today there are two. I guess someone hid one and it was found. I talked to the Manager about why this Walmart hasn't marked them down for clearance. He said that they were already marked down from $79. He really didn't have an answer.
To be fair, he's not wrong B) Wal mart is so random with their clearancing practices. I'm half convinced they just throw darts at a dartboard and go with it.

Reaction score
Was it actually labeled at $59 or did you scan it and it still rang up at $59? Those should have been down to $19 a while ago, unless that store is just really far behind on its price changes and nobody in management cares.

My store had an entire encap filled with these TIE Fighters at $19, there were at least 15 or more. Then someone came by and bought up all but one last week. The only one they left had a damaged box, so I'm assuming it's someone who planned to resell them online.

Reaction score
I can't imagine any TVC TIE @ $19 staying on shelves for any length of time. I only saw one at that price in the Clearance Aisle a while back (that's the one I got) - and I think that may have been a return.

Reaction score
Well, it finally happened. After not owning this thing even a month, I went to move it today and one of the wings just popped off and wouldn't go back on. I wound up taking out the spring, rotating the wing 180 degrees (so that the grooved part is now on the bottom) and inserting it that way. I had to clip off the little nub that's inside to get it to fit, but it stays in pretty tight now. So happy I didn't pay full price for this.

Reaction score
The recent clearance prices have also brought down prices on the secondary market. If you missed it in-store they can still be had on that auction site for some more than fair prices.

Reaction score
Got one for $10. I've all but quit collecting the Vintage line but couldn't pass this up at that price.
$10 for the TVC TIE?! Wow! Hell, I paid $19 for mine and thought that was a good price, but $10 is a steal for this ship.

Reaction score
After reading Adam Pawlus' review of the figure that comes with this, I had to go back and add it to my checklist. It turns out it's all but the same as the previous release of this figure, EXCEPT they glued the helmet on to the head. That makes it a new figure.

Reaction score
After reading Adam Pawlus' review of the figure that comes with this, I had to go back and add it to my checklist. It turns out it's all but the same as the previous release of this figure, EXCEPT they glued the helmet on to the head. That makes it a new figure.
More than that, the flight suit is a different color. It's actually black rather than grey. They finally painted the commlink on the left wrist and they used the larger Imperial emblems on the shoulders. They haven't used the large emblems since the first release of this mould with the Imperial Pilot evolution set as Biggs Darklighter, the flight suit also hasn't been black since that figure. The helmet markings, while similar to the previous Lt. Oxio, they are a different color. It has an actual number and letters on the helmet unlike the previous that more or less just had dots in the same place. And the chin has been painted to painted to match the color of the mohawk stripe. They did a great job actually matching the helmet to the one from ANH.

You can see some pictures of the surviving helmet over at: http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-TIE-helmet-costume-overview.htm

Reaction score
The Imperial TIE Fighter pilot outfit is one of my favorite Imperial outfits from the OT, and the original Vintage pilot was one of my favorite figures - from that era. Very grim appearance, and the almost all-black outfit intentionally reminded you of DV.

More than that, the flight suit is a different color. It's actually black rather than grey. They finally painted the commlink on the left wrist and they used the larger Imperial emblems on the shoulders. They haven't used the large emblems since the first release of this mould with the Imperial Pilot evolution set as Biggs Darklighter, the flight suit also hasn't been black since that figure. The helmet markings, while similar to the previous Lt. Oxio, they are a different color. It has an actual number and letters on the helmet unlike the previous that more or less just had dots in the same place. And the chin has been painted to painted to match the color of the mohawk stripe. They did a great job actually matching the helmet to the one from ANH.
Good to know. So, it sounds like the Imperial TIE pilot that comes with this TVC TIE is actually an improvement over at least some previous versions. I don't mind the glued-on helmet, and would actually have preferred that the helmet was a solid piece to begin with, but one that still had a neck (like the original POTF2 1996 figure). I.e., we never saw these guys without their helmets in the OT, anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Imperial TIE Fighter pilot outfit is one of my favorite Imperial outfits from the OT, and the original Vintage pilot was one of my favorite figures - from that era. Very grim appearance, and the almost all-black outfit intentionally reminded you of DV.

Good to know. So, it sounds like the Imperial TIE pilot that comes with this TVC TIE is actually an improvement over at least some previous versions. I don't mind the glued-on helmet, and would actually have preferred that the helmet was a solid piece to begin with, but one that still had a neck (like the original POTF2 1996 figure). I.e., we never saw these guys without their helmets in the OT, anyway.
They're my favorite too, I've been enamored by them since I was a kid. They are a big improvement over the previous versions. I've been hoping that the china sellers on ebay would start listing these pilots. They always have in the past, but maybe Hasbro finally cracked down on them. I would love to get enough of them to upgrade all of my older TIE Pilots.

Reaction score
I picked up 2 TIEs on May 1st. It's been sitting on my rug since. I just came home from work and noticed one of the wings popped off. Other then the occasional times where I would pick it up carefully to make sure it was ok, it hasn't been moved. This is exactly why I didn't want to pay full price for this. I did notice the past week or so the wings looked like they were starting to droop a little bit. I thought after a few weeks of it sitting there I was in the clear. I still haven't opened the second one I got.

What's everyone been doing, just pulling out the spring and super-gluing the wings in?

Reaction score
I do like being able to put it back into the box. My wings are kinda difficult to get to snap into place and feel like they may pop off. But I never had the tie as a kid, had vader's tie but not the regular, so it was pretty cool to get this sucker on clearance. And I like the gray. Though normally I'm not necessarily a big fan of electronic extras, in this case it just seems natural, a light in the front and a firing sound would have been super.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What's everyone been doing, just pulling out the spring and super-gluing the wings in?
Haven't done this yet with this particular TIE, but that's exactly what I did with an original Vintage TIE Interceptor (1984?!) back in the day, after someone broke the spring functionality on this. I.e., taking out the springs & just super-gluing this in seemed to work OK on that Vintage vehicle.

Can't speak for how well this will work on this new TVC TIE, but I'm sure others have done this here & can provide feedback. I'd like to know as well, since I wouldn't want to mess this up.

Reaction score
What I did was pull out the spring then, if you look inside where the wing slots in, there is a small tab at the top that aligns with the groove in the wing post, I clipped that off with some pliers, then inserted the wing upside down (with the groove on the bottom). It fits fairly tightly that way, doesn't fall out, and can still be removed if need be... and I didn't have to resort to super glue. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow in case none of this makes sense.

Reaction score
Ok, here's a before and after pic of what I described above.

Before:

After removing the spring and clipping the tab:

Then simply insert the wing upside down.

Reaction score
Hey Billy_Ray, awesome fix! I wasn't sure if the spring was simply being pulled out, or if people were taking the whole ship apart. This is so much better!

I didn't have a small pair of pliers, so I took tweezers to pull out the spring, then I used the pair of pliers I had to completely remove the spring. Before clipping off the tab inside, I placed the wing back on just to see if it would stay. It sits in fairly ok, but when you tilt it to the side it will pop off after a few seconds. Its fine if you leave it standing straight. The pliers didn't fit inside so I grabbed my dremel, and using a small/thin tool I was able to remove the tab with ease.

Its so much better now, thank you for that fix! I did it to the other wing as well. If I fixed one side I mind as well do the other side.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, the two Tie-Fighters in my store finally were relocated from the Toy Aisle to the Clearance aisle today. But they are still at $59.00. Ugh!

Reaction score
The worst part is that I know they will sit there all Summer long. If they'd only drop them to $19, I have have them off their hands in 10 minutes.

Reaction score
What I did was pull out the spring then, if you look inside where the wing slots in, there is a small tab at the top that aligns with the groove in the wing post, I clipped that off with some pliers, then inserted the wing upside down (with the groove on the bottom). It fits fairly tightly that way, doesn't fall out, and can still be removed if need be... and I didn't have to resort to super glue.
Thanks for the instructions & the pics. I did remove the springs & the tabs on either side (with some difficulty) and then super-glued the wings & then put them back in the regular way (not upside down). The ship now looks fantastic, and may as well be a model prop used in the OT - nice. I preferred using the super-glue because this ensures that the wings won't be loose.

Side-note: As it turned out, I didn't have pliers small enough to use to remove the springs & break off the tab, so had to buy some @ Wal-mart. They were only about $5-6, but I guess I'll add these to the cost of this TVC Tie - LOL.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Count mine now among the broken. The hooks gave way on the triggers and fell inside the wing. Wrote to hasbro about it. Betting they do nothing. But one can hope. As soon as my wedding is over i an going to attempt fabrication of a permenant functional fix for this. Maybe 3d print then cast a sleeve to correct it and still salvage the pop off wings.

Reaction score
They are not as dumb as they look.

I am not sure how they pulled this off, but those two $59 Tie Fighters that WM moved to the clearance aisle are GONE. I guess a bargain hunter pounced on it, where they would not have noticed it in the toy aisle.

Reaction score
On a road trip through Nevada I stopped at a Walmart for snacks and saw 2 of these just sitting on the shelf and scanning at $19. They also had about 20 Mimban troopers. Where I live these were cleaned out at the $40 level and Mimbans dont hang around long. Its funny the differences you can see between towns 3 hours apart.

Reaction score
True. Sometimes its hard to pass up a strange Walmart during a long road trip. I'm always thinking, hmmm, I wonder what treasures hide there.

The only time I ever saw those Deleted scene wave figures was at a strange WM during a road trip. The wife needed something so we stopped. Of course I'm not going to walk through the doors of a WM without checking on the figures.

Reaction score
True. Sometimes its hard to pass up a strange Walmart during a long road trip. I'm always thinking, hmmm, I wonder what treasures hide there.

The only time I ever saw those Deleted scene wave figures was at a strange WM during a road trip. The wife needed something so we stopped. Of course I'm not going to walk through the doors of a WM without checking on the figures.
True. With the way Walmart distribution is, especially with their exclusives, you never know if it will be a store that gets something you are looking for that isn't stocked at your local Walmart for whatever reason.

Reaction score
True. With the way Walmart distribution is, especially with their exclusives, you never know if it will be a store that gets something you are looking for that isn't stocked at your local Walmart for whatever reason.
Yep! Those road-trip Walmarts. Even though it’s less likely to find stuff these days, I’ll still stop virtually every time.