Imperial TIE Fighter

GNT

Reaction score
Yakface have details up about the upcoming Han Solo movie Imperial TIE Fighter, it was briefly seen at a past convention and was never seen again. Thoughts on seeing a TIE Fighter in this line?

Reaction score
I'm always up for more TIE Fighters but I wish that this was the TIE/rb fighter from the film. that just looks awesome. I'd also love to see Hasbro revisit the TIE Bomber, large wing TIE fighter, an all new version of Vader's TIE Advanced and make 2 of the EU versions of the TIE fighter... The Phantom V-38 from Rebel Assault the Hidden Empire, and the TIE Defender (from TIE Fighter the PC Game and Rebels)

Reaction score
I'm always up for more TIE Fighters but I wish that this was the TIE/rb fighter from the film. that just looks awesome. I'd also love to see Hasbro revisit the TIE Bomber, large wing TIE fighter, an all new version of Vader's TIE Advanced and make 2 of the EU versions of the TIE fighter... The Phantom V-38 from Rebel Assault the Hidden Empire, and the TIE Defender (from TIE Fighter the PC Game and Rebels)
TIE Defender isn't EU anymore. That over-powered ugly piece of thingy showed up in Rebels.

So what's different about this particular TIE compared with other TIEs we've had in the past? New mold? I figured with Hasbro they'd just use whatever mold they had on hand and rerelease that. Also a bit strange since they didn't really have a huge presence in the Solo film all things considered. At least with the TIE gunship it's something new we haven't seen before. Shame if it's not that.

Reaction score
Remember when that picture first surfaced and we were all like "that better not be the 3.75" falcon for the movie!" Yeah, me too.

Reaction score
I would like a good proportionate Tie Brute, not a micro-machine.

Reaction score
The turret part of the fighter is somewhat reminiscent of the backside of the TIE/fo. I'm wondering if the turret can gyroscopically rotate for rear firing capability.

Reaction score
Pretty sure that's the $40 falcon
nope that's the full size $100 version. I can tell by the size of the cockpit. the $40 one is way smaller and more angled and doesn't have the exploding panels on the front mandibles like the one in the pic above

Reaction score
even though likely not screen perfect, for the price, I'd like for an attachment to be included to convert from a standard tie to a brute tie. Plus I'd like a unique, ie different styled pilot vs a "plain" black suited one again

Reaction score
even though likely not screen perfect, for the price, I'd like for an attachment to be included to convert from a standard tie to a brute tie. Plus I'd like a unique, ie different styled pilot vs a "plain" black suited one again
Need a new sculpt for the new TIE. It's not just an extra gun mount, there's a fair bit of extra detailing around the cockpit.

Don't know if the pilot had any fancy "ace" markings, probably be while before we see good screenshots of him.

Reaction score
Need a new sculpt for the new TIE. It's not just an extra gun mount, there's a fair bit of extra detailing around the cockpit.

Don't know if the pilot had any fancy "ace" markings, probably be while before we see good screenshots of him.
Hence. the opening clause in my post :p

Reaction score
I'm so glad that a new TIE Fighter is coming out. It'll be the first one since 2011, somehow both the Rebels cartoon and Rogue One made it by with out a classic TIE-in release. I really hope it doesn't have as simple a cockpit as the TIE Striker or the Inquisitor's TIE Advanced prototype had.

Also, bring on the heavy TIE!

Reaction score
Yeah, it's really odd Hasbro never made a grey Rebels TIE Fighter (or for that matter, The Ghost, an Imperial Gunship, The Bendu and Kanan's Speeder Bike). The show's TIE design and proportions being based on the '78 Kenner version makes it naturally toyetic.

Reaction score
so much for getting TIE BRUTE, but honestly, I wasn't expecting that from Hasbro. Still, I'll get this as I do like TIEs, well Imperial ships in general

Reaction score
looking at enlarged pics again, I like the "exploding"-/battle damaged/crash feature. Kinda brings back memories to my first of just a few kenner micro world toys...TIE fighter. I no longer have it but it was the only one the survived for many, many years

Reaction score
The big question is, are the wings done in a rigid plastic? That is what s ultimately going to make or break this thing.

Reaction score
The 'Solo' TIE Fighter has been revealed at JTA (No links here).

Scanning the photos this latest new tooled mold of the TIE Fighter has many features such as 'break-apart' battle damage and firing 'missile' cockpit guns (very similar to TFA/TLJ TIE Fighter gun ports). It also has a brand new cockpit interior which appears to be highly detailed and screen accurate but unfortunately devoid of paint details.

The worst parts in all of this mold is the glaring ugly 'seam' on the cockpit ball where the TIE breaks apart, and the two hideous screw holes adjacent of the gun ports.

Anther worry is the solar panel wings that are the same molded rubberised plastic parts as the TFA/TLJ TIEs that bowed and were always misshapen.

Lets hope that Hasbro fixed this problem otherwise its another problem for us collectors.

Another gripe is that the cockpit is only for the 5POA figures so expect the figure to 'lie down' in the cockpit seat rather than 'sit'.

In all it os a terrific new mold which is totally screen accurate that the wings are finally the true size as on screen - the wings should be three times the height of the cockpit ball and finally it looks like Hasbro did something right.

Two steps forward, four steps back again by Hasbro.

Reaction score
looks beautiful, of course underscaled but FINALLY with nice proportions. But I am a bit confused about the color: the packaging art looks gray, but in that photo with the brown cardboard insert it looks more blue.

am I seeing things?

Reaction score
I'm reserving judgement until I can see some better pics, I'm wary of how the action feature fits together and as others have mentioned, what are the wings made of... I may be the odd duck out, but I actually prefer that it's a straight regular Tie Fighter.

Reaction score
Those are the best pics that guy could take of this thing? Not one shot of the entire thing put together? It looks pretty small based on the one shot of the pilot standing up in the cockpit.

Reaction score
Those are the best pics that guy could take of this thing? Not one shot of the entire thing put together? It looks pretty small based on the one shot of the pilot standing up in the cockpit.
The way the pictures were taken, I don't even think he removed anything from the backing. It's like he's not planning to put it together. Then the last pic, he puts it together and doesn't bother giving us a full shot. Unless JTA is holding back some pics for some reason.

Reaction score
Looks definitely underscaled, but more noticeably the wing/cockpit size ratio is smaller compared to the actual TIE (and looks about the same ratio as the TIE/FO). I thought have though the ratio since the Target Exclusive Legacy Collection TIE would have been fixed by now.

Reaction score
Like the cockpit detail and features, but the wing/cockpit ratio is smaller compared to the actual TIE. Looks about the same ratio as the TIE/FO. The underscaling I can live with.

Reaction score
Sergio Sanchez who broke the story at JTA posted a few more photos of this incarnation of the TIE Fighter:

Sergio also replied to a question too:

"The wings are hard plastic. But the "frame" in the panels are rubber. It prevents warping and break the wings if falls."

(Thanks to Sergio at JTA for the photos & quote!)

Reaction score
Thanks for the extra pics and clarification about the wings, activistfangirl! :)

I’m very seriously considering buying this version of the TIE - so long as those radial panels / wings stay unwarped, I’ll be in!

Can’t wait to see more fully assembled front and back shots of the TIE in its entirety!

Reaction score
Hard to know if Hasbro is moving backward or forward on these things. It does look better proportioned (I still haven't gotten the Legacy version because the wings are too large compared to the cockpit), but undersized. It looks like they've tried to improve the connection between the cockpit & wings. The old 'exploding wings' connection since 1977 would always make it seem like the wings were loose. I liked the 'ejector seat' of the old cockpit, so I'm really ambivalent about this new breakaway one. TIE pilot looks good for 5 POA (but why waste money on a new scuplt). I will say with this one that at least it looks like they're trying.

Reaction score
Thanks for the extra pics and clarification about the wings, activistfangirl! :)

I’m very seriously considering buying this version of the TIE - so long as those radial panels / wings stay unwarped, I’ll be in!

Can’t wait to see more fully assembled front and back shots of the TIE in its entirety!
My only gripe is that the TIE is scaled too small and part of Hasbro's new obsession with micro-sizing all the vehicles now.

Although the proportions of the TIE Fighter are aesthetically correct - the wings finally being a 'three-cockpit ball' tall size, the fighter is shrunken down to accommodate the new Hasbro micro fetish.

So in essence it may look in proportion and almost be screen accurate, it is way too small in comparison with the figure, and the figure in essence now 'lies down' in the cockpit instead of sitting down too.

But that is also more to do with Hasbro's other obsession with retrofying figures to 5POA now.

Two steps forward, four steps back.

Reaction score
Yeah. Pending better pics I’m feeling excited about this.

Totally understandable that the regular vehicle offerings aren’t the true scale versions of whatnot. Those have their place and need another production run soon, but a good kids scale, kids price TIE should be a staple of this line for years and years to come, like the POTF2 one was, virtually a perennial offering. IMO it’s a really good sign for the health of the line that they are making good looking new OT stuff for a wide market. While wave 3 is a huge head scratcher, the broader picture of a good Luke, good Vader, good Emperor, good Hoth Leia, and now the TIE is really encouraging, IMO.

Reaction score
Space is a problem for me and the big wing Tie Fighter was just too big (and expensive for me at the time) so I never got it. I didn't get the VC one sadly as I really liked the cockpit detail and the fact that it was small wings but it's just too expensive now.

I'm really excited about this one if it is about the vintage size and I don't have any 3.75" scale Tie Fighters. I only have the 6" one. Hoping the break-away feature doesn't fall apart too easily. I had the TFA Tie Fighter and I look at it wrong and one wing will fly off of it on the shelf. It was always the same one.