Imperial Rank Insignias

Reaction score
Ok, so have any of you noticed how jumbled up the Imperial rank insignia's are? Here's what i mean, for example, let's look at this. This is Captain Khurgee from A New Hope, this is his rank insignia, identifying him as a Captain in the Imperial Navy
1.PNG
As you can see, we have a single strip of six yellow squares, however, Khurgee's rank is identical to that of General Hurst Romodi's, even though Romodi is a General in the Imperial Army.
5.PNG
furthermore, a Captain in the Imperial Navy usually had six blue and red squares from TESB onwards. here is Captain Sarkli.
2.PNG
Now, let's look at the General rank, in ANH, General Moradmin Bast of the Imperial Army, has a single strip of four red squares and two yellow squares.
3.PNG
While in TESB onwards, we see General Veers, another member of the Imperial army, with eight red and blue squares.
4.PNG
Now i understand that during the OT, rank insignias and other minor stuff like that wasn't really important behind the scenes. But i think the official Lore can fix these issues with retcons.

Reaction score
Imperial rank has always been vague and undefined, for reasons you which you accurately point out. I really don't know how you can fix it with a retcon, the only way to do so would be to go back and digitally replace all the old ranks with new accurate ones.

Reaction score
Well, retcons can do amazing things. Now that i think about it, Khurgee's rank identifies him as a captain right? Well, perhaps his specific rank insignia can be retconned into Junior Captain or Senior Captain/Line Captain. In fact, this website uses 6 yellow squares to signify that rank, Senior Captain

Reaction score
True, in Star Trek Lt. Commanders are often just called by "Commander" for short. So...

I think for a time they had an explanation that each "system" that was under the regional Governor had their own rank system, so that the rank pips could mean different ranks for someone under Piett's command than it is under Tarkin's. But still, it would seem to make for a very confusing encounter if those two people with same rank pips were ever together, or for anyone else for that matter.

Reaction score
Impressive work, Theron Nett. From one pilot with a few lines before getting exploded to another, I commend you.

Reaction score
True, in Star Trek Lt. Commanders are often just called by "Commander" for short. So...

I think for a time they had an explanation that each "system" that was under the regional Governor had their own rank system, so that the rank pips could mean different ranks for someone under Piett's command than it is under Tarkin's. But still, it would seem to make for a very confusing encounter if those two people with same rank pips were ever together, or for anyone else for that matter.

Yeah, it seemed to be a bit of a jumble but I am glad that they seem to have cleaned that up. My favourite rank insignia is definitely the Grand Admiral.

Funny that you mention Star Trek TNG. I always noticed that in TNG Chief O'Brien who is supposed to be a NCO has pips that would otherwise identify him as a Lieutenant and in DS9 he has chevrons on his collar.