Imperial Assault Hovertank

Reaction score
Forgive me for asking about this vee-hickle, but why is it called a 'hover-tank', when it has treads and appears not to hover?

I've got mine and am more than *more than* happy with it, but it wouldn't seem out of place with, say, the 'Indiana Jones Crystal Skull' Jungle Cutter from about 11 years ago.

Reaction score
Forgive me for asking about this vee-hickle, but why is it called a 'hover-tank', when it has treads and appears not to hover?

Excellent question. One that I admit slipped by me. Never even gave it much thought. But you're correct. If it's a "Hover" tank, why the treads?

Reaction score

I've got mine and am more than *more than* happy with it, but it wouldn't seem out of place with, say, the 'Indiana Jones Crystal Skull' Jungle Cutter from about 11 years ago.
Excellent question. One that I admit slipped by me. Never even gave it much thought. But you're correct. If it's a "Hover" tank, why the treads?
My understanding is that the assault tank depicted in Rogue One was originally intended to be a hover-tank, but during production they ultimately decided to just leave it as a tracked vehicle. The word had already been put out, however, that there would be a hover-tank in the movie. That's why the Lego version of the assault tank, which you actually build into a hover-tank, is technically inaccurate to the movie (but still a really fun Lego set!). The Rebels cartoon reconciled these varying tank types by showing that there are different variants of the assault tank, both tracked and hovering.

So, the thread title should be "Imperial Combat Assault Tank," but I must admit I never noticed it was incorrect til you guys pointed it out, haha.

Got one on the way from Amazon. I've got the tank pilot from the Jedha set and luckily managed to pick up one of the VC tank drivers last week as well, so I'm ready for it!

Reaction score
The question was answered a long time ago, but the moderators for whatever reason, never changed the topic title which is confusing & misleading.

[h=2]Behind the scenes[/h] The Imperial combat assault tank was created and developed for the 2016 film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.[SUP][4][/SUP] The tank was first revealed with the teaser trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, on April 7, 2016.[SUP][7][/SUP] It was later identified as "Imperial Assault Hovertank" with LEGO Star Wars Rogue One sets preview photos posted on Amazon, on August 8, 2016.[SUP][8][/SUP] However, the idea of an hovertank was abandoned in early stages and the former name was mistakenly used in several toy lines.[SUP][9][/SUP] Though by July, 2016, the tank was still hovering.[SUP][10]

[/SUP] http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TX-225_GAVw_"Occupier"_combat_assault_tank

The tank in the film and the toy its based on, is the TX-225 GAVw "Occupier" combat assault tank" .

The variant used in the cartoon Rebels in the repulsorlift hovertank version model TX-225 GAVr .

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TX-225_GAVr_"Occupier"_combat_assault_tank

Reaction score
Which is one of the reason it never interested me. I'm not keen on a tank with tracks for a Star Wars vehicle. Personal preference of course.

Reaction score
Which is one of the reason it never interested me. I'm not keen on a tank with tracks for a Star Wars vehicle. Personal preference of course.
This at least makes way more sense than one of those Expanded Universe TIE fighter things with tracks on them.

Reaction score
Tie Crawlers and Maulers were cool. In the art of Solo we came pretty close to seeing something like it, and we may still at some point. Many threaded droids and tanks we've seen in SW for a very long time, part of the fabric really. In fact the CIS Persuader Tank Droid is one of the cooler designs and toys.

Tie Crawler tanks are canon:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_crawler

Last edited:
Reaction score
I found one of these at Barnes And Noble, out of all places!
Was it in store? If so, that's one of the first retail places actually carrying this thing. Target sucks baLLZ with their distribution of ANYTHING Vintage, pisses me off to no end. They still have Wave 1 sweltering on the pegs, for MONTHS. Months and months and months. At least Wal-Mart gets their stock out....except for Rey........and except for Mimban trooper lol. Those are more travesties from Hasbro distribution, or lack thereof.

Reaction score
Was it in store? If so, that's one of the first retail places actually carrying this thing. Target sucks baLLZ with their distribution of ANYTHING Vintage, pisses me off to no end. They still have Wave 1 sweltering on the pegs, for MONTHS. Months and months and months. At least Wal-Mart gets their stock out....except for Rey........and except for Mimban trooper lol. Those are more travesties from Hasbro distribution, or lack thereof.
Yes, it was in the store. I decided to check out the toys again, just out of the blue, I had noticed they had last time I was there Rey, Snoke and a FO trooper. Rey and the FO Trooper where there. Then As I look down the shelf, there is on the floor but on the front, the tank!! It looked GREAT and box was in great condition, they wanted full price tho , otherwise I would have bought it just to make it move. It looks like they are re-stocking the entire toy section, tho I saw mostly Black Series and TLJ toys, new stuff I hadnt seen last time I Was there.

I wonder if they will get the next waves? anywho, I Was both happy and shocked to see it, FINALLY, a tank at a retail brick and mortar store, it looks really nice with the toys.

Yea I been looking and looking and looking for new TVC, anything and nada but the first wave and thats it.
Y

Reaction score
Slightly taken aback that B&N brick & mortar stores have this great IAH vehicle in stock. I never thought it would hit retail anywhere. That being said, the toys that B&N sells are unusual in that they're typically of the higher-end, more expensive variety, i.e. expensive Marvel non-retail figures, expensive models, etc. So, it kind of makes sense that this would show up there - at full price. It's not like it showed up at Wal-mart or Target 5 to a case - now, that would truly have been a shock ;)

And, the fact that this IAH has gone down in price online almost makes me regret getting it for full price back in August. However, I'm still glad I got it then because if at least some people don't pay full price for vehicles like this when they're first released, Hasbro probably would probably stop making cool ships/vehicles like this anymore. I.e., I'm still somewhat surprised this even came out. So, I'll be glad to take one for the team - on occasion ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Walmart showing 37.97$ now, with my 10$ off google express coupon, I am jumping on this. Awesome deal!

The pilots are supposed to be shipping sometime this month correct? I guess I need two now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
wow another price drop, guess going to have to buy some more tanks AGAIN. sheesh, going on 8 tanks now i think...

Reaction score
A fine day to army build sir. I'm up to 6 myself.
Yessssss! Man, feels good to hear that another fellow collector that is army building with these tanks! We should get our tanks and crews together to make a huge platoon!!!

I mean, this tank is absolutely gorgeous in detail, I love the packaging on the box, I liked how it looked in the movie, god now I have to get tank crews again lol

Reaction score
Glad to hear some collectors are buying multiple tanks. It's a great vehicle. If I can find this on sale, I may get a 2nd one. In any case, these selling well will hopefully open the door for Hasbro to make other larger, somewhat obscure vehicles like this in the future.

Reaction score
Glad to hear some collectors are buying multiple tanks. It's a great vehicle. If I can find this on sale, I may get a 2nd one. In any case, these selling well will hopefully open the door for Hasbro to make other larger, somewhat obscure vehicles like this in the future.
Ummm... they aren't selling well. Compared to the price point that Hasbro set for them they are basically being given away. It's like a heavily papered concert. It looks good because the stadium is full but all the tickets were freebies.

Reaction score
I picked up a second one, someone earlier mentioned walmart has them for 37.97 (thanks btw)
just checked again, they're still 37.97 on WM website.

Reaction score
Hanging out in a room with shelves full of stuff I
Yessssss! Man, feels good to hear that another fellow collector that is army building with these tanks! We should get our tanks and crews together to make a huge platoon!!!

I mean, this tank is absolutely gorgeous in detail, I love the packaging on the box, I liked how it looked in the movie, god now I have to get tank crews again lol
Ugh I know.. and finding the TVC tank driver has been rough around my part of the country.

Reaction score
Ummm... they aren't selling well. Compared to the price point that Hasbro set for them they are basically being given away. It's like a heavily papered concert. It looks good because the stadium is full but all the tickets were freebies.
Good point - you're right. Well, at least this cool vehicle did come out, and there are enough to go around for those who want them. Back when this was first announced a year?! ago, I mistakenly thought that it would be tough to get ahold of.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think the market responded, and the $80 pricepoint was voted down. At less than half they sell out, so that will likely give Hasbro an idea on what to do in the future, which is probably no more TVC vehicles at higher pricepoints. I don't know why they simply don't put them on Haslab, that way they don't lose anything, and their entire tooling budget can be used for figures.

Reaction score
I think the market responded, and the $80 pricepoint was voted down. At less than half they sell out, so that will likely give Hasbro an idea on what to do in the future, which is probably no more TVC vehicles at higher pricepoints. I don't know why they simply don't put them on Haslab, that way they don't lose anything, and their entire tooling budget can be used for figures.
Hell, do it that way and you can include two figures to go with it.

I got another one from Walmart for my nephew. LOVES Rogue One.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dorkside has the Jedha set for $9.99. You get a 5POA Driver (perfect for the interior of the Tank) plus Saw and Two-Tubes.

Reaction score
Ugh I know.. and finding the TVC tank driver has been rough around my part of the country.
ugh is right! I cant even locate this wave at brick and mortar. I tried Kmart for the sale they had and i got Wave one figures *sighs*

i have to look and see, can oen order a case of these like EE does with like say the Range Trooper.

outside of this tho, its fun getting tank after tank and getting crews, so guess we take the good with the bad B)

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
How much is shipping for WM? Do they also offer ship to store? I remember doing that with the Jabba and dais a while back. I got this for about $52 shipped from Amazon, so good enough I think.

Reaction score
No offense to the Tank, as it seems that some people do like it. Perhaps they should have saved the $80 price point for a more deserving/interesting vehicle? TBH the Tank looks more like a $50 vehicle to begin with. Whereas $80 should have gotten us the Ghost, though even I feel that is too low for what most of us want done with it.

If they want to tote out the BIG Slave1 again for that price, I'll definitely buy one!

Reaction score
Perceived value is certainly a factor, and I agree, the tank doesn't look like an $80 product. The detail they put into it is great, but I think many waited for it to hit half price, because they feel that's what its worth to them.

Reaction score
Yea thing had no business being anywhere near $80. Not by longshot.

Reaction score
I think pretty much everyone is in agreement that $80.00 was just way too much. It probably would have been a much better seller at $50, maybe $60 MAX. I'd like to know what the wholesale cost was on these, because I have a feeling that even at half price, stores are still making money. Then again, they are trying to tell us that stores are paying way more. I know it's kind of like apples to oranges, but supposedly Target paid over $20.00 PER FIGURE for the Gamorrean Guard 6" exclusive. That's not a whole lot of profit, when they retail for $29.99 and you can get them with discount codes and whatnot.

Either way, these units have already been paid for by someone. So Hasbro has every right to consider this a "success" because they sold their product to corporate buyers for the price they set. However if retail takes too much of loss on something like this, they probably won't order anything similar. Between this and the TIE Fighter, it's probably a safe bet we won't be seeing another vehicle at the $80.00 price point. Perfect example? The 6" scale TIE Fighter....... You can buy it right now at a fraction of the original $170.00 price. That came out three years ago, and there hasn't been anything else since.

Reaction score
I think pretty much everyone is in agreement that $80.00 was just way too much. It probably would have been a much better seller at $50, maybe $60 MAX. I'd like to know what the wholesale cost was on these, because I have a feeling that even at half price, stores are still making money. Then again, they are trying to tell us that stores are paying way more. I know it's kind of like apples to oranges, but supposedly Target paid over $20.00 PER FIGURE for the Gamorrean Guard 6" exclusive. That's not a whole lot of profit, when they retail for $29.99 and you can get them with discount codes and whatnot.

Either way, these units have already been paid for by someone. So Hasbro has every right to consider this a "success" because they sold their product to corporate buyers for the price they set. However if retail takes too much of loss on something like this, they probably won't order anything similar. Between this and the TIE Fighter, it's probably a safe bet we won't be seeing another vehicle at the $80.00 price point. Perfect example? The 6" scale TIE Fighter....... You can buy it right now at a fraction of the original $170.00 price. That came out three years ago, and there hasn't been anything else since.
Even if Target paid $20 a figure it's still a win for them. It gets people in the store and in a position to spend money on other things.

Reaction score
Well stated. Consider myself—I’m a full time collector(have been since the line was relaunched in ‘95)—yet I had ZERO intention of going near this when I initially heard the price point. No matter how well built, it was/is just too obscure a vehicle to consider dropping near a $100 for. Now, however, i am considering it.

Reaction score
Had to chuckle at the FP pic, with all those Rose figures standinG by it!

Question though, was that photo shopped or did someone really buy that many figures of her to pose with it?

Reaction score
Had to chuckle at the FP pic, with all those Rose figures standinG by it!

Question though, was that photo shopped or did someone really buy that many figures of her to pose with it?
I believe he purchased all of those. There was a comment somewhere (Instagram I think) referring to the "Rose Army"

Reaction score

You'll get no argument from me that $80 is way overpriced for this IAH. I paid full price for this because it was a well-done vehicle & I had been wanting this ever since seeing Rouge One in theaters.

However, I do consider the same price for the TVC Tie Fighter to be much more egregious than the IAH. While the IAH was incredibly detailed & also a never-before-made vehicle, this Tie Fighter is not unique; it has been made multiple times in the past, and even this "big wing" version has been made before. Slapping this onto a TVC box and charging roughly $40 more than it should retail for is way out of line for Hasbro/Disney. In any case, I see these sitting @ retail stores well into the new year, and beyond - that is, unless they are significantly reduced in price.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You'll get no argument from me that $80 is way overpriced for this IAH. I paid full price for this because it was a well-done vehicle & I had been wanting this ever since seeing Rouge One in theaters.

However, I do consider the same price for the TVC Tie Fighter to be much more egregious than the IAH. While the IAH was incredibly detailed & also a never-before-made vehicle, this Tie Fighter is not unique; it has been made multiple times in the past, and even this "big wing" version has been made before. Slapping this onto a TVC box and charging roughly $40 more than it should retail for is way out of line for Hasbro/Disney. In any case, I see these sitting @ retail stores well into the new year, and beyond - that is, unless they are significantly reduced in price.
Absolutely correct! The TIE Fighter is nothing more than a kitbashed repaint. Big wings that have been used three or four times before and the cockpit ball from the 2011 TVC classic size TIE. There were no new tooling costs. Just a pretty box that doesn't even resemble the original. They didn't even throw in a pilot. The $40.00 ALL NEW TIE from the Solo line even got a pilot! I hope it sits on shelves long enough to see a pretty decent clearance. I also hope I'm able to pick one up when it does.