IMDB: ROTS already in the top 250!

Reaction score
As of 20 May (one day after it came out) it's already in the top 250 of IMDB. #134 as of this posting. How high will it go?

Reaction score
I saw that earlier, pretty cool. I don't know how high it'll get, but definetly higher than that!

Reaction score
This may sound sacriligious, but as SW fans, why do we feel good when a movie reaches a certain point on the box office list? Does it mean you enjoy the movie more? Does it make you feel justified for liking it?

Its a stupid indicator anyways, since its not adjusted for inflation. When I first saw Star Wars, I think that I paid $3.50 for a ticket. Adjusted for inflation, no SW film comes close to the original (second only to Gone with the Wind, which was probably .25 a ticket when it first came out).

Reaction score
I dunno why. I think it sort of proves to the world that we're not just weirdos?
That we have taste?

It's at #130 today.

Reaction score
bjlevine said:
This may sound sacriligious, but as SW fans, why do we feel good when a movie reaches a certain point on the box office list? Does it mean you enjoy the movie more? Does it make you feel justified for liking it?

Its a stupid indicator anyways, since its not adjusted for inflation. When I first saw Star Wars, I think that I paid $3.50 for a ticket. Adjusted for inflation, no SW film comes close to the original (second only to Gone with the Wind, which was probably .25 a ticket when it first came out).
The IMDB top 250 is NOT for how much a movie has made. It is an indication of the highest-rated movies.

Reaction score
Sorry, my bad onthe rating system. I was, of course, referring to all the talk about how much the film grosses.

It'll have a ways to go to catch #8 Star Wars (ANH).

Reaction score
To speak fairly as Devil's advocate, imdb's Top 250 rankings are based soley on the opinions of those who take their time and fandom to register and cast their ratings.

Reaction score
Inigo_Montoya said:
To speak fairly as Devil's advocate, imdb's Top 250 rankings are based soley on the opinions of those who take their time and fandom to register and cast their ratings.
Exactly. As much as I love The Godfather (which is currently #1 on the list), I don't think it's the best film ever made. The list is the cumulative opinion of those who have registered on the site.

Reaction score
It's not quite as simple as that; they aren't just aggregates. They haev some kind of system that filters out attempts to ballot-stuff, apparently.

That said...so what if it's just a popular vote? Isn't that as valid a method of saying "this is good" as listening to a lot of critics? Sure it might not be what you think, but it's a way to try to get at an objective idea of a movie.

GNT

Reaction score
It'll probably make the top 50 well err maybe top 30 if were lucky.

Reaction score
One of the things that helps "Sith" (and a common theme of many of its reviews) is that is "sucks less" than the other PT films. The expectations outside of the hard-code fan base were not very high, so a lot of people are pleasantly surprised.

Reaction score
Imrahil2001 said:
It's not quite as simple as that; they aren't just aggregates. They haev some kind of system that filters out attempts to ballot-stuff, apparently.

That said...so what if it's just a popular vote? Isn't that as valid a method of saying "this is good" as listening to a lot of critics? Sure it might not be what you think, but it's a way to try to get at an objective idea of a movie.
I'm not saying it's not valid ... but just like any other list of this nature, it should be taken with a grain of salt. Same goes for what critics say ... or anyone else, for that matter. It's just an opinion. And in this case, I'm glad to see it's a good one. Still, after awhile, the scores on this list tend to go down. I remember that Fellowship of the Ring was at #1 for quite some time.

Reaction score
Darth_Rayne [/quote said:
Exactly. As much as I love The Godfather (which is currently #1 on the list), I don't think it's the best film ever made. The list is the cumulative opinion of those who have registered on the site.
Care to fist fight?

Reaction score
DarthCorleone said:
Darth_Rayne [/quote said:
Care to fist fight?
Sure, why not?

I didn't say that I didn't like The Godfather ... I just don't think it's the best movie of all-time. I love the film, but I actually like Part II better.
I can understand with a screen name like yours why you'd be defensive.

Reaction score
Around 2pm (Sunday) I looked on the boxofficemojo site to see what ROTS was at. It had Sunday's estimate already. It was already done. So, I don't understand. It took longer for other days estmates. Sunday was not finished yet, I saw it with some friends at 7pm again sunday- that didn't count for sunday? What gives?

Reaction score
RediNight said:
Around 2pm (Sunday) I looked on the boxofficemojo site to see what ROTS was at. It had Sunday's estimate already. It was already done. So, I don't understand. It took longer for other days estmates. Sunday was not finished yet, I saw it with some friends at 7pm again sunday- that didn't count for sunday? What gives?
That always happens on Sunday. Check the site any weekend. The industry estimates the numbers for Sunday so they can get an idea of the weekend gross. Go back and look at the site now. The numbers have been adjusted and represent the "real" amount the movie made.

Reaction score
What really annoys me is that ROTK is number 3... oh well it really is a pointless rating system...

Reaction score
Killer185 said:
What really annoys me is that ROTK is number 3... oh well it really is a pointless rating system...
Why does this annoy you? Did you think it should be higher?

Reaction score
bjlevine said:
Killer185 said:
Why does this annoy you? Did you think it should be higher?
Hah more like not even on the 250 list!

Reaction score
Currently Episode 3 is ranked #193 on IMDB.

EDIT : Now's it's dropped to #211. Might not be in the top 250 much longer.

Reaction score
RediNight said:
Around 2pm (Sunday) I looked on the boxofficemojo site to see what ROTS was at.
According to that site ROTS currently has $236,733,000.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars3.htm
Here's another that ranks all of the SW movies for both domestic and over seas.
http://www.supershadow.com/starwars/boxoffice.html
Finally, IMDB does rank box office.
http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross
The list was last updated Friday and ROTS ranks 59 of all time (not adjusted for inflation). Although, since Friday it's made at least 36M+ so it may be as low as #41 at this point.

John

ODB

Reaction score
bjlevine said:
Adjusted for inflation, no SW film comes close to the original (second only to Gone with the Wind, which was probably .25 a ticket when it first came out).
Gone with the Wind blows everything away, even Star Wars when you adjust it for inflation. Off the top of my head ESB took half what ANH did and ROTJ slightly less than ESB.

Back on topic, IMDB's top 250 is very susceptable to every trend and fashion and isn't really a good indicator of a film. I think ROTS is riding a popularist wave and will probably recede over time.

Reaction score
ODB said:
Gone with the Wind blows everything away, even Star Wars when you adjust it for inflation.
I wouldn't say it blows ANH away. They're the only two movies that have an adjusted gross over $1 billion dollars:

Gone With the Wind - $1,293,085,600
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope - $1,139,965,400

ODB

Reaction score
Darth_Rayne said:
ODB said:
Gone with the Wind blows everything away, even Star Wars when you adjust it for inflation.
I wouldn't say it blows ANH away. They're the only two movies that have an adjusted gross over $1 billion dollars:

Gone With the Wind - $1,293,085,600
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope - $1,139,965,400
I would, thats a $200 million difference and an age gap of nearly 30 years and when you look at box numbers of tickets sold it easily beats Star Wars. If you look when GWTW was released (WW2, a comparative lack of media buzz, a more limited release) its amazing as to how it performed. So I thinks its blows ANH away.

Edit

Worldwide grosses GWTW pulled $2,604,548,214 to ANH's $1,917,420,217, even though these are somewhat rough calculations it still shows how big GWTW was and why its regarded as the box office king.

Reaction score
ODB said:
bjlevine said:
Adjusted for inflation, no SW film comes close to the original (second only to Gone with the Wind, which was probably .25 a ticket when it first came out).
Gone with the Wind blows everything away, even Star Wars when you adjust it for inflation. Off the top of my head ESB took half what ANH did and ROTJ slightly less than ESB.

Back on topic, IMDB's top 250 is very susceptable to every trend and fashion and isn't really a good indicator of a film. I think ROTS is riding a popularist wave and will probably recede over time.
I'm pretty sure that ROTJ outdrew ESB in gate. ESB is the highest rated SW movie and I think the lowest grossing. Go figure.

ODB

Reaction score
bjlevine said:
I'm pretty sure that ROTJ outdrew ESB in gate. ESB is the highest rated SW movie and I think the lowest grossing. Go figure.
Nope Worldwide ESB outgrossed ROTJ, although domestically in the US it was the other way round.

Reaction score
What do you expect? It seems like everybodys already got a crappy pirated copy!

Reaction score
bjlevine said:
Don't look now, but the IMDB user rating has been steadily slipping.
It won't hold in the IMDB250, it will not make US$ 400 million in the U.S. Phew, glad that that's out of the way, now back to talking how much fun this movie is

Reaction score
lone_clone said:
bjlevine said:
Don't look now, but the IMDB user rating has been steadily slipping.
It won't hold in the IMDB250, it will not make US$ 400 million in the U.S. Phew, glad that that's out of the way, now back to talking how much fun this movie is
First prediction correct. Gone.

Reaction score
Wow. Huge drop off for week 4 and Batman poised to hit. "Sith" may have to work some to catch TPM. Still, I doubt anyone at LFL is disappointed.

Reaction score
bjlevine said:
Wow. Huge drop off for week 4 and Batman poised to hit. "Sith" may have to work some to catch TPM. Still, I doubt anyone at LFL is disappointed.
I believe both you and I said well before the film came out that it would never catch TPM or ANH, but would probably end up third out of the six Star Wars films in total domestic gross. Hmm ... looks like we may end up being right.

Reaction score
bjlevine said:
The drop off wasn't that bad actually. In fact it's holding up pretty well, and even more so considering the enormous front loading that this movie has seen.
RotS is turning out to be a humongous uberblockbuster and it may very well be the only movie topping 350 million this year. What's even more interesting is how well it's holding up outside the U.S. After 4 weeks it's still nr.1 in France and Germany for instance. And all this for a P.G.13 movie...

Batman is going to be good but wednesday's opening of 15+ million is way lower than what was expected. (Actually the full day Batman opening is less than RotS opening midnight showings alone...)

But for sure RotS will not catch up to TPM. I think 375million will be it.