I'm considering starting a SW LEGO collection....

Reaction score
The Cantina really has me considering dipping my toe into this line. I've always had a fascination with the Cantina and this set looks like it nailed it.

Like all things, I know how hard it is to get into a new line....especially one that's been around for a while with tons of sets already retired.

I see the Death Star is still somewhat available which is another set I've eyed from afar for quite a while.

The UCS Falcon is cool but might just be too rich for my blood. I'm leaning towards one of the smaller Falcons to keep costs down. Hopefully they are decent enough that I wouldn't regret it.

Any suggestions for a newbie? I'm only interested in OT. Set recommendations to start with? I'm thinking of picking up Obi-wan's hut and Luke's Landspeeder. They both seem pretty good sets that are on shelves right now.

Thanks all.

Reaction score
Your post prompted me to look back at my experience on how I started into Lego Star Wars. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't change a thing from where I started to where I am now.

It all started in 2005 with set 4504 Millennium Falcon. I didn't know much about Lego Star Wars back then, but when I saw the Falcon in Lego, I had to have it. That set included Hoth Han and Leia, Chewbacca, C-3PO, and a Hoth Stormtrooper. Of course I needed the other ships and heroes and villains to compliment the Falcon and its crew and single adversary, so that prompted obtaining sets with Luke, R2, Vader, Yoda, and the list goes on from there over a 15 year period. I do not want to give you the impression that I own every set or own even half of what was or is available since I have been collecting long. Other than being selective with respect to space and cost, I am selective on which sets I obtain based on the set's design and its significance in the Star Wars saga.

If you plan on getting into Lego Star Wars, missing out on sets that are retired is not a huge deal in my opinion. Most of the system scale sets are updated and released every few years. It's the UCS sets that don't have a quick return time back to market. If you get into Lego Star Wars, you don't want to have any regrets on not obtaining a set that you have your eyes on due to the cost of obtaining a set after it is retired. You mention the 2017 UCS Falcon being expensive. It is expensive at a cost of $830.00 USD with tax, but I really wanted it in my collection, and knew I would regret not obtaining it. I was able to fund the entire cost by selling off my GI Joe on eBay and Craigslist as well as using my wellness gift cards through work. The set is worth it in my opinion. Who know what the after market cost of a used 2017 UCS Falcon will be, let alone a sealed one. I had one experience buying a brand new retired set on Craigslist for an extremely fair price. My timing on that deal was just right. I have seen other postings on Craigslist selling retired sets for fair prices. Bricklink is another option for purchasing retired sets. The cost of most retired sets on eBay through buy it now or auction are ridiculous.

I suggest getting a set that has some protagonists and antagonists. Obi-Wan's hut fits that bill. It is pricey for what is offered, but it doesn't break the bank; plus it is small, so for getting your feet wet, it is a small risk if you decide to not go beyond just this one set. However, if you end up getting Mos Eisley Cantina, you will already have two of each character between Luke, Obi-Wan, and the droids, but that might not matter to you. Another option, like mentioned previously, is pursue reasonable leads for retired sets through Craigslist or Bricklink.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. So I did take the plunge...a bit.

I like the UCS Falcon but it's really just too big for me....regardless of the price. I have other large items and other large collections (I need to do something about the growth) so I'm a little hesitant to buy something so massive like that. However....I do think if you're going to have SW LEGO you need to have a Falcon. So...I compromised. I purchased the current Falcon (Episode 9 release) the other day. HOWEVER, I'm not going to build it to spec. I found someone's MOC Falcon with instructions that I like the look of and I've decided to build that. I picked up the Episode 9 Falcon for parts to put towards that build.

The MOC Falcon I'm building however does have significantly more parts than the retail set so I'm going through my parts bin to make sure I have everything I need. I know I'm going to have to buy a few extra parts (thanks Bricklink) but I'm hoping not too many.

I forgot, I did actually buy one SW LEGO set a while ago. I purchased the Twilight on extreme sale for the parts a long time ago. That set is actually coming in handy as a lot of the parts needed I'm pulling from that set.

I'm happy with this direction. I like having some custom stuff in my LEGO collection. Maybe this will prompt me to go back and finish up my MOC DeLorean I started a long time ago.

Btw, what are your thoughts on tracking down the 20th Anniversary Slave 1? Is it worth it if I can find it for retail?

Dax

Reaction score
One recommendation I can give from being a collector of Vintage items, the hard to find expensive items get harder to find and proportionally more expensive in the future. So if you're not sure whether to buy 5 small sets or the one big one, I would usually recommend the big one.

Also, work out your focus which you've already partially done. You've specified OT only (good man!) but do you want to be a completionist or only pick up what you like? Not buying everything is going to be good for your wallet and honestly there's a fair bit of repetition in Lego. I tend to buy playsets that I like and rarely buy vehicles. I think part of that is I enjoy the mini-figures the most and generally a vehicle will only have one or two figures but a playset yields a large number of them.

I skipped the Cloud City playset as I thought it was a bit meh and I already had the Carbon Freezing Chamber which is cool. The Death Star is my number 1 set and I would highly recommend it. The Cantina looks great and I think is going to be my number 2 favourite set pushing the UCS Falcon to third. The new AT-AT looks great so that's a definite pick up in the future for me.

Whichever sets you choose to buy,I'm sure you'll have great fun with them!

Edited to add: The 20th Anniversary Slave 1 is a great looking item and is still available through Lego.com: https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/slave-l-20th-anniversary-edition-75243 It also has the exclusive 4-LOM figure with it (old school, the brown alien not Zuckuss which will always be the grey droid for me).

Last edited:
Reaction score
But I'm going to stick with the plan that you all told yourself when you guys started...."I'll just check it out...just a little bit, but I wont go crazy." :LOL:

Bespin did look a little meh. The idea is cool but I just am not a super fan of how it's laid out. The LEGO Death Star looks like the Death Star. Bespin looks like a bunch of sets squished together.

Yeah, I did notice the AT-AT seems to be coming back and that would be a cool set to pick up.

The Cantina and Death Star are definitely on my radar.

Sets that I'm thinking about.....

20th Anniversary Slave 1 75243
20th Snowspeeder 75259
Landspeeder 75271
Obi-wan's Hut 75270

I don't really want to go back too much. Old sets are expensive and like you guys have mentioned they re-release updated sets from time to time. I think patience will pay off for the most part. I'm okay if I never own a UCS set.

I would want an X-wing but I think I'll just wait it out.

Any OT sets you guys recommend I go back and look for? I'd keep things OT focused and leaning more towards ANH and ESB. I'm a fan of Tatooine and the Death Star when it comes to ANH. I've always loved Hoth. The Hoth base sets seem a little underwhelming though...but I wouldn't mind getting some and building out Hoth on my own.

Reactions: Dax
Reaction score
"I'll just check it out...just a little bit, but I wont go crazy." That's what I thought after I got the 4504 Falcon. Then came Luke's Dagobah version of his X-Wing, then came a Snowspeeder, then came a TIE Fighter to dogfight the X-Wing, then came a Y-Wing and Vader's TIE, then came...

Here is my OT recommendation: I don't own the 20th Anniversary Slave I, but it looks like a decent set. I have the UCS version of Slave I, which is retired. Even though you stated you are okay not owning a UCS set, I recommend you attempt to obtain the UCS version of Slave I. It retailed for $199.00. There this one currently on Bricklink for sale as new for $279.00. It seems too good to be true, but I would jump on that in a heartbeat for only $80.00 over retail for a retired set, especially due to its popularity. It is worth checking out at least. For comparison purposes, the low price on eBay for buy it now MISB is approximately $350.00 and Craigslist has one within two hours of me MISB for $400.00.

Your plan for modding a Falcon is a good one. There are some cool MOCs modding the system scale Falcon that provides a lot of detail.

With your Falcon plan, and eyes on the Death Star and Mos Eisley Cantina, you are off to a good start.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dax
Reaction score
Welcome to the club! It sounds like you're already pretty familiar with LEGO (throwing around words like "MOC"! Nice ;))

I agree with most of what's been said so far. Don't worry too much about catching up on the well-known OT vehicle sets (X-Wing, TIE Fighters, Millennium Falcon, etc.), as they're cycled through ever few years.

My advice would be to prioritize getting the Death Star. You've mentioned it a few times, and it really is a fantastic set (My 3rd favorite, behind the UCS Falcon and the new Cantina).

It's due for retirement soon, and my guess is that LEGO may never make it again; especially as the current version is technically the 2nd version of the set. All told, it's been on sale for over a decade (!!), so you wouldn't want to miss out now.

Reaction score
Welcome to the club! It sounds like you're already pretty familiar with LEGO (throwing around words like "MOC"! Nice ;))

I agree with most of what's been said so far. Don't worry too much about catching up on the well-known OT vehicle sets (X-Wing, TIE Fighters, Millennium Falcon, etc.), as they're cycled through ever few years.

My advice would be to prioritize getting the Death Star. You've mentioned it a few times, and it really is a fantastic set (My 3rd favorite, behind the UCS Falcon and the new Cantina).

It's due for retirement soon, and my guess is that LEGO may never make it again; especially as the current version is technically the 2nd version of the set. All told, it's been on sale for over a decade (!!), so you wouldn't want to miss out now.
Thanks yeah, the Cantina I'm eying but not too worried about jumping on because it's not even out yet and I don't anticipate it going through quite the rush like the UCS Falcon when it was re-released. It will be around for long enough I'm sure....but yeah...the Death Star does worry me....I feel like I need to jump on that one asap. **** it...I better order it...

I think there was a leaked list that an X-Wing and TIE will be coming out next year. So I'm not too worried about those.

Reaction score
Ordered the Death Star....it's on backorder...and with talks of it being retired I better take the plunge....I will say it was very nice of LEGO to offer a good divorce attorney as part of the order. Great customer service!

Reaction score
Ordered the Death Star....it's on backorder...and with talks of it being retired I better take the plunge....I will say it was very nice of LEGO to offer a good divorce attorney as part of the order. Great customer service!
Ha! I guess I'll be partly to blame for that. 👀

I do think you'll be really pleased with the Death Star. It manages to pack in a lot, while still making for a great display piece. And the actual footprint, surprisingly, isn't too large (probably because it's built up, rather than out, if that makes any sense).

The good news is now that you've checked off the Death Star, you can breathe a sigh of relief and let your bank account recover. None of the other big OT sets are due to retire quite as soon; if I had to guess, I'd say the Slave I and Tantive IV will be next on the chopping block.

Reaction score
And whats even nicer is I wont be charged until the LEGO store gets it in stock again. Its listed as on backorder right now available within 60 days. So 60 days of a breather.

Yeah I hear you on the footprint. Im selling my Playmates Enterprise-D bridge soon so thatll take that spot in my closet. At least I have a where will it go part answered.

Reaction score
20th Anniversary Slave 1 is likely to be on its way out soon so I would get it sooner rather than later if you've set your heart on it. A boxed copy of the 20th Anniversary Snowspeeder is stupidly expensive as it only had an eight-month run. Bricklinking the pieces, most of which are common, or getting one of the earlier sets is a much cheaper option.

Reaction score
20th Anniversary Slave 1 is likely to be on its way out soon so I would get it sooner rather than later if you've set your heart on it. A boxed copy of the 20th Anniversary Snowspeeder is stupidly expensive as it only had an eight-month run. Bricklinking the pieces, most of which are common, or getting one of the earlier sets is a much cheaper option.
Thanks for the tip on the Snowspeeder. Yeah I've still seen the Slave 1 around at a couple WM's....so I'll keep an eye on stock and make sure I pull the trigger before I miss out. Thanks for the heads up.

I did buy the Landspeeder recently. And my GF did buy me a gift the other day....not sure what but when she asked about what kinds of things are good gifts for me I did mention SW LEGO....and that I didn't have any so she can't go wrong.....I really hope she didn't get me the Landspeeder lol.

Reaction score
So....I just got a shipping notification on the LEGO Death Star.....yikes...didn't expect that charge to go through yet.....I'm excited....and nervous as I think how I'm going to recoup that expense that I didn't expect to hit my account yet. LOL. Oh well....this thing has been around forever and I didn't want to miss it as it sounds like it's getting retired for good soon.

Reaction score
It really depends on what you want to focus on. I too have mostly been into OT, but they re-release sets very often (the landspeeder has basically been a set or in a set for the last five years running). I have the Death Star, and a couple of older TIES, and realized I wanted to have a more full 'space battle' lineup, so I managed to get several vehicles before they were retired, including the RO Y-Wing, Solo X-wing, and TIE. The window for such things is generally 2 years for regular retail sets, and longer for Lego Store exclusives or UCS sets. That means that 20th Slave 1 is about to go out, I'd guess, along with the other 20th sets. Hoth and ANH Tatooine are very well represented with recent sets if you want to go that route. Endor or Jabba not so much.

I generally don't go for the UCS sets, as they're more like models than toys, to me. I only have the Falcon and the first Star Destroyer. I typically prefer the mini-figure sets as theyre cheaper, have more play value, and come with more figures.

I have TONS of Lego VIP points Ive been saving up for the next big thing. The last big thing, the cantina, sadly didn't sit well with me, because I had, a few years ago, bought two of the mid-priced cantina sets and melded them together, along with the UFO set that came out later.

Now, if the fan vote had gone to the medical frigate...