IG-11 (The Mandalorian) - #**

Reaction score
Picked one up at a nearby BB yesterday. Looks good beside my Mando!
As a boxed collector, I'm happy to have an IG unit in the current packaging, even if it's a total repaint. To each his/her own, I suppose.

Reaction score
I'm an idiot. All this time, and watching the previews, and I even HAVE this figure, and only now on the previous page when I saw the box did my mind realize this character is IG-11, not actually IG-88. Hah. I don't even know when The Mandalorian is set in-universe (yeah I'm slacking my fandom) but I figured it was a "younger" version of 88.

But now that I know this it just raises the creativity void I've always found in Star Wars. The Mandalorian is itself an example of that, to me, but IG-11 is a good microcosm of that. Like, in my opinion it would be rare and odd that a droid manufactured for some utilitarian purpose would somehow have become a bounty hunter, which is what made IG-88 an interesting character where you wondered about his background. But then the Star Wars powers that be were like, "hmm, let's throw a bad-a$$ droid into the mix, they'll like that...and let's, uh, have it be a throwback somehow...how about it's the same model as that IG-88 guy...is that fan service enough???" So now we have "ruined" the appeal of IG-88 by suggesting all IGs are cowboy droids. And then there's the same thing going on with everyone in a Boba Fett helmet, so, I mean, come on, Star Wars people...and this kind of thing has always been the case even in the first EU stuff, they always expand on things by taking something existing and stretching it just a little too far, rather than coming up with something original...

But yeah I'm still excited so whatever?

Reaction score
But now that I know this it just raises the creativity void I've always found in Star Wars. The Mandalorian is itself an example of that, to me, but IG-11 is a good microcosm of that. Like, in my opinion it would be rare and odd that a droid manufactured for some utilitarian purpose would somehow have become a bounty hunter, which is what made IG-88 an interesting character where you wondered about his background. But then the Star Wars powers that be were like, "hmm, let's throw a bad-a$$ droid into the mix, they'll like that...and let's, uh, have it be a throwback somehow...how about it's the same model as that IG-88 guy...is that fan service enough???" So now we have "ruined" the appeal of IG-88 by suggesting all IGs are cowboy droids. And then there's the same thing going on with everyone in a Boba Fett helmet, so, I mean, come on, Star Wars people...and this kind of thing has always been the case even in the first EU stuff, they always expand on things by taking something existing and stretching it just a little too far, rather than coming up with something original...

It really is a fine line, isn't it? Like, I'm super pumped for this show, and am happy to have my new Mando and 11 figures here on my desk. But...you're totally right. Ultimately, it feels like "let's play around with Boba Fett and IG-88, but come up with a new story, so...it's not really them." Hopefully the show itself will give them (or at least the title character) enough of a unique story, hopefully tied into what we already know about Mandalorian history, to not feel like a faint photocopy. But even if they don't...I'm gonna enjoy seeing Not Boba and Not IG-88 messing around and huntin' some fools, so...yeah, agreed, whatever?

Also, not sure if this makes things better or worse, but The Clone Wars show established that IG models are a line of assassin droids. So...IG-11 isn't the first ding to the "IG-88 is a unique renegade droid" concept. (Also also: finding that clip and watching it really underscores just how bad the animation was in the first season of TCW. Yikes. It's amazing how much better the show looked as time went on.)

Reaction score
What's the quality like on this figure? Is it on par or better than Archive? I really shouldn't buy it, but I know I'm going to want to get it as soon as I watch the show. I just got Cara Dune yesterday. I kinda want to get my Mandalorian cast going early so I'm not going backwards like I did with Rebels.

Reaction score
I'm an idiot. All this time, and watching the previews, and I even HAVE this figure, and only now on the previous page when I saw the box did my mind realize this character is IG-11, not actually IG-88. Hah. I don't even know when The Mandalorian is set in-universe (yeah I'm slacking my fandom) but I figured it was a "younger" version of 88.

Filoni said recently was always supposed to be IG-88 but then late in production, they decided to just make him a new character to "respect" what IG-88 did in the EU. Like, Disney already pissed on the EU by making everything non-canon. So everything Fett and IG-88 did was essentially wiped out and you have about as clean of a slate as you can with two very popular characters with fan bases. The new stories could've really limitless, but nope. Their stories will just be copied and pasted for these two new lookalikes because they want to "respect" stuff that doesn't even count anymore.

It's such a poor way to go about things but the hype for this show is feeling pretty high, even more so than for The Rise of Skywalker, so I suppose it doesn't really matter to the majority of fans if these two are just total knockoffs.

Reaction score
From what I've seen and read, it seems like a lot of fans are tired of Fett and, to a lesser extent, IG-88 and the other bounty hunters and are happy to get new characters and stories.

That said, it does seem pretty clear that the Mandalorian is Jon Favreau's way of making a Boba Fett show without the Boba Fett. Which personally I'm okay with. It does open up more story avenues, as we already have a lot of info (even canon info) about Fett at this point.

Reaction score
From what I've seen and read, it seems like a lot of fans are tired of Fett and, to a lesser extent, IG-88 and the other bounty hunters and are happy to get new characters and stories.

That said, it does seem pretty clear that the Mandalorian is Jon Favreau's way of making a Boba Fett show without the Boba Fett. Which personally I'm okay with. It does open up more story avenues, as we already have a lot of info (even canon info) about Fett at this point.
For a lot of fans "tired" of him, his merchandise sure sells VERY well. I think Boba Fett is just a character with polar opposite fans. There's people who really love him so naturally, that will cause people to really hate him just to balance out the energy. I mean, how can someone really be tired of a side character with a a couple minutes of screen-time from 3 movies. (4 if you count his whopping 2 seconds from ANH SE).

And just to play devils advocate because I always see people bring up we "know him already". What doors have exactly closed because of what we know from him? That's he's a clone? Ok, so what does that mean exactly? Is there ANYTHING we've seen this guy that differentiates him from being Boba other than a lack of green on his armor? I've asked these questions a few times whenever those points you brought up are mentioned but I've yet to have someone answer them without getting defensive. For the most part, I think it's just peoples bias towards Boba than actually having a logical reasoning.

And before I get called a Boba defender, I do think and like that this guy's a new character,lol

Reaction score
For a lot of fans "tired" of him, his merchandise sure sells VERY well. I think Boba Fett is just a character with polar opposite fans. There's people who really love him so naturally, that will cause people to really hate him just to balance out the energy. I mean, how can someone really be tired of a side character with a a couple minutes of screen-time from 3 movies. (4 if you count his whopping 2 seconds from ANH SE).

And just to play devils advocate because I always see people bring up we "know him already". What doors have exactly closed because of what we know from him? That's he's a clone? Ok, so what does that mean exactly? Is there ANYTHING we've seen this guy that differentiates him from being Boba other than a lack of green on his armor? I've asked these questions a few times whenever those points you brought up are mentioned but I've yet to have someone answer them without getting defensive. For the most part, I think it's just peoples bias towards Boba than actually having a logical reasoning.

And before I get called a Boba defender, I do think and like that this guy's a new character,lol
The only problem with fett is that his ROTJ appearance does not compliment his EU/Legends portrayal. A lot of his admiration feels undeserved. It’s like a tale of two Fetts, one is the ultimate hunter (ESB) and the other is Jar Jar clumsy (ROTJ). Living with the hype for so long is just taxing and so far there’s still no way he’s been redeemed. Even post ROTJ in the EU he’s become a Han side kick (albeit over a course of interesting events). It’s a far cry from the unstoppable lone wolf he should be.

Reaction score
The only problem with fett is that his ROTJ appearance does not compliment his EU/Legends portrayal. A lot of his admiration feels undeserved. It’s like a tale of two Fetts, one is the ultimate hunter (ESB) and the other is Jar Jar clumsy (ROTJ). Living with the hype for so long is just taxing and so far there’s still no way he’s been redeemed. Even post ROTJ in the EU he’s become a Han side kick (albeit over a course of interesting events). It’s a far cry from the unstoppable lone wolf he should be.
Fett merchandise also sells well because he looks cool. That’s just how it is, people buy his products in spite of his clumsy and only on film action scenes in the saga.

Reaction score
Which backs up my point as to why I think people are still clinging onto the hope/speculation that this could be Boba. This guy in the show SHOULD be the payoff to his fans of so many many years, especially with so many nods and homages to him already, but I also know that's not how Disney's Star Wars works, so I think they'll be disappointed.

But like I said before, even if I don't personally think he's Fett, I can't really find anything to disprove that he isn't either since he just feels like such a total knock off. I mean, that initial announcement should've been enough but then why so coy about everything, including his name?

Reaction score
Fett merchandise also sells well because he looks cool. That’s just how it is, people buy his products in spite of his clumsy and only on film action scenes in the saga.
There's folks who run around conventions in an orange jumpsuit with an ice cream maker. Never underestimate how much a design can take a character. Good or bad. Just look at how many people dress up as Phasma:LOL:

Reaction score
I would have been perfectly fine with this being IG-88 and completely wiping away his EU back story. The IG-88 story in the Tales of the Bounty Hunters books was the final nail in the coffin for me as far as the EU went.

Either way, it will be cool to finally see an IG droid in action. All IG-88 ever did was stand there basically as a prop for a few seconds. At the same time, I agree with the sentiment that they could have done something new just as well. K2-SO was one of the best parts of Rogue One IMO.

Reaction score
Has it been confirmed anywhere that the Mandalorian takes off his helmet at any point in the series? I know Pedro Pascal is playing him but if they reveal him to be Boba then Temuera Morrison needs to appear when the helmet comes off. They seem to be honoring what came before (Jimmy Smits and Genevieve O'Reilly in Rogue One, Ray Park in Solo, Ewan coming back as Obi-Wan).

I do doubt they'd get a recognizable name just to fill in the suit and then when he takes off the helmet he's somebody else (Morrison) so I'm thinking he's a completely new character.

I'm kinda okay with them having IG-11 instead of IG-88, not sure why though lol

Reaction score
Filoni said recently was always supposed to be IG-88 but then late in production, they decided to just make him a new character to "respect" what IG-88 did in the EU. Like, Disney already pissed on the EU by making everything non-canon. So everything Fett and IG-88 did was essentially wiped out and you have about as clean of a slate as you can with two very popular characters with fan bases. The new stories could've really limitless, but nope. Their stories will just be copied and pasted for these two new lookalikes because they want to "respect" stuff that doesn't even count anymore.
The way I understand it, there's some power to the idea that the EU is now considered "legends." It doesn't mean that stuff didn't happen -- it just means they are stories passed down through time that may or may not be true. So you can say it doesn't count if you want to have a strict firewall between canon and non-canon...but I understand why they would want to say "well, some people want to still believe the legend of IG-88 and the second Death Star, so why take that away from them when we can have another IG droid in this show?" I guess, like many things, it depends greatly on one's own point of view.

Reaction score
The way I understand it, there's some power to the idea that the EU is now considered "legends." It doesn't mean that stuff didn't happen -- it just means they are stories passed down through time that may or may not be true. So you can say it doesn't count if you want to have a strict firewall between canon and non-canon...but I understand why they would want to say "well, some people want to still believe the legend of IG-88 and the second Death Star, so why take that away from them when we can have another IG droid in this show?" I guess, like many things, it depends greatly on one's own point of view.
So is Jango’s Open Season story canon and him and Boba are really Mandalorian or is he not?

How about Thrawn? Is the original Thrawn Trilogy canon and is that what’s happening in the greater galaxy at this time? Or it’s still from one’s own point of view?

Reaction score
So is Jango’s Open Season story canon and him and Boba are really Mandalorian or is he not?
What does your heart tell you?

How about Thrawn? Is the original Thrawn Trilogy canon and is that what’s happening in the greater galaxy at this time? Or it’s still from one’s own point of view?
Grand Admiral Thrawn? I thought he was a myth...

(OK, sorry...glib quotes as answers. Honestly, I think we've gotten enough information about Thrawn and about the New Republic-era in the new canon to say that the Heir To The Empire book and sequels didn't happen. But...who knows? Maybe in youngling centers and cantinas around the galaxy, there are stories being told of Thrawn coming back from the outer rim and confronting the Jedi Luke Skywalker. Maybe those aren't true...but just maybe they are...)

((OK, sorry again. They aren't true. In so far as anything in a fictional universe is true vs. not true.))

Reaction score

For comparison how Hot toys is interpreting IG-11's scale.

Yet another look at how Hot Toys 1/6: scaled them, for later comparison.

Yet another closer heal-to-heal comparison how Hot Toys scaled them, if anyone is till left wondering how ridiculously off-model the Black Series figures is.
Although at this point the ones to blame for this are those buying it. (and why it'll be long before we ever get a proper scaled and detailed one for this line)

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
Yet another closer heal-to-heal comparison how Hot Toys scaled them, if anyone is till left wondering how ridiculously off-model the Black Series figures is.
Although at this point the ones to blame for this are those buying it. (and why it'll be long before we ever get a proper scaled and detailed one for this line)
Maybe not accurate in height but it doesn't really bother me, at least in that picture IG has bent legs pose and not standing completely still so not an accurate judgement on scale.

Reaction score
It seems even if they were originally trying to make him IG-88, they would’ve still had to include a bit of his EU backstory albeit a bit of a road bump if they wanted to ignore the whole IG-88 A,B,C,D stuff (tracking Boba to Cloud City and being destroyed).
72E81E7F-0090-48AC-B66C-16C1417D421B.png

Reaction score
It's just a shame that the Bandai kits seem to have dried up. That would have been our best bet.

Reaction score
It seems even if they were originally trying to make him IG-88, they would’ve still had to include a bit of his EU backstory albeit a bit of a road bump if they wanted to ignore the whole IG-88 A,B,C,D stuff (tracking Boba to Cloud City and being destroyed).
That's kinda why I had to eye-roll when Filoni said it was always supposed to be IG-88 in the show but at the last minute, they changed him to IG-11 to "respect what IG-88 did in the EU". That's the most contradictory thing for the guy who brought back Thrawn.

If people got over EU Thrawn being changed into the Disney Canon version, I'm sure people wouldn't have had a problem had this been IG-88. Hell, there wasn't one person who complained when everybody thought he WAS IG-88 for the 6 months or so that people didn't know his name. But whatever, what's done is done. I just thought that was a crock of bull when he explained why he didn't just continue with him being IG-88.

Reaction score
Does anyone remember when they announced the Archive series and they pulled IG-88 off the show floor saying his deco wasn't complete yet? I'm now wondering if they had IG-11(minus the bandoliers) with them. I remember people saying he looked more gold at the shoulders, just like IG-11.

Reaction score
I'm going to get the Artfx statue to display if it's that bad out of scale.

Reaction score
"Heel to heel"...just sayin'

Reaction score
(I don't know if there are issues with the new board with message previews showing spoilered content accidentally, so I'm doing this overly long introduction to kill space before I get to my small little comment. Thank you for your time.)

Spoiler for the first episode The Mandalorian:

Well, it was fun while it lasted, buddy.

Reaction score
The feet on my IG-11 are loose to the point where they just rock back and forth loose with no resistance at all. Is there anything I can try to add friction to the feet joints? Is this where Pledge Floor Polish comes in handy? Or should I just try to exchange it at the store?

Reaction score
The feet on my IG-11 are loose to the point where they just rock back and forth loose with no resistance at all. Is there anything I can try to add friction to the feet joints? Is this where Pledge Floor Polish comes in handy? Or should I just try to exchange it at the store?
Pledge Floor Polish would work in this case. Though if your best buy has a bunch, maybe just return it.

Reaction score
I'm not sure that NOT buying a figure is going to get Hasbro to make a better figure in the future. It would be nice to see him with the correct size and proper hands, but if the figure rots on the pegs, are Hasbro really going to decide they need to make another one?

Reaction score
Just watched the first episode again (since I believe the second one is going to be dropping as I type this), and it made me realize: I had never known where the eyes were on an IG droid. Knowing they are the two side-by-side protrusions in the middle of the head helps me when posing both 11 and 88.

Reaction score
Add another reason this figure is lamely off-model, and deserved a new sculpt.
The door-panel and hidden inside; his little self-destructing thermal-detonating heart ! LOL! 😄

At this point, anyone still buying this lame repack and encouraging them to get away with passing this off as the "new" figure, are to blame.
You're the reason we aren't getting a better one! :pLOL Kidding!
But they do have little to no insensitive or reason to do a better one, if this one sells fine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Add another reason this figure is lamely off-model, and deserved a new sculpt.
The door-panel and hidden inside, his little self-destructing thermal-detonating heart ! LOL!

At this point, those still buying this lame repack and encouraging them to get away with passing this off as the "new" figure, are to blame.
Dude, get over yourself. If you don't like it, don't buy it. GTFO.