If you were asked to create the Sequels

Reaction score
This is true also. A lot of good movies end up going by the wayside, drowned out by the noise of the mediocre. There are three times more films made today than ever before (well, not during Covid crisis obviously), so the signal to nose ratio is even more pronounced.

However, I think we're talking more about the general Hollywood product here and not Spanish horror movies. I've yet to watch Erementari myself, but it looks quite good from the trailer.

It's neither Spanish nor horror! But it's AWESOME! It's a Basque language film which, in my opinion, should be watched in Basque with English subtitles. Because the English dubbing was done really poorly. It's much more of a fantasy adventure than a horror film. To my fellow tabletop gamers, it's the closest we'll ever get to Mordheim The Movie.

Even if Hollywood is stuck in endless reboots, Mad Max: Fury Road (and later, Rogue One) proved that doesn't have to mean they're bad.

Reaction score
It's neither Spanish nor horror! But it's AWESOME! It's a Basque language film which, in my opinion, should be watched in Basque with English subtitles. Because the English dubbing was done really poorly. It's much more of a fantasy adventure than a horror film. To my fellow tabletop gamers, it's the closest we'll ever get to Mordheim The Movie.

Even if Hollywood is stuck in endless reboots, Mad Max: Fury Road (and later, Rogue One) proved that doesn't have to mean they're bad.

Last time I checked though the Basque country was in Spain. But ok, it's Basque. 😁

I'd never watch a non-English language film dubbed into English if I can help it. Certain exceptions apply, like Spaghetti westerns or Giallo however. English dubbing over other languages is usually awful and very distraction. The reverse is the same.

So, when I do get around to watching it, it will be in the Spanish BASQUE language. 😋

As for 'Mad Max: Fury Road' and 'Rogue One', there will always be exceptions, of course. Although with the case of 'Mad Max: Fury Road', I was put off by the fact that Mel wasn't in the movie, I have to admit. I can't really place that film into the original trilogy. So, I want Miller to hurry up and make some more so they can stand on their own.

Reaction score
TBH I think we're our own worst enemy when it comes to this, because when Hollywood does try something new and unexplored it does very poorly. Thus we've spoken and told them what we're after by rewarding mediocrity and the same old same old reboots.

I'd never watch a non-English language film dubbed into English if I can help it. Certain exceptions apply, like Spaghetti westerns or Giallo however. English dubbing over other languages is usually awful and very distraction. The reverse is the same.
Agreed. IMO that's what i call butchering a film, it just feels like they took out all the heart and essences of the story by doing voice overs. I watch a lot of Foreign films and if there isn't a subbed version I'll try to skip it until there is. It just doesn't feel right having some monotone speaking American voice in the part and it very rarely captures the mood the original actor was in.

Reaction score
As for 'Mad Max: Fury Road' and 'Rogue One', there will always be exceptions, of course. Although with the case of 'Mad Max: Fury Road', I was put off by the fact that Mel wasn't in the movie, I have to admit. I can't really place that film into the original trilogy. So, I want Miller to hurry up and make some more so they can stand on their own.

Miller said that there is no continuity in Mad Max. All the movies are future myths told about The Road Warrior which may or may not be true.

This is now how I approach Star Wars ;)

I think if I made the sequels, I would possibly use the Zahn books characters... but completely re-write the stories, which I hated. A non-force user in a fancy medal encrusted white uniform is better than another old man in bathrobe and easychair. The idea of making it about mopping up after Endor is a solid place to start. Add an appropriate gap of years as needed.

Above all, make it about homages to old classics, and creating the "vibe" of watching foreign films. Not about re-hashing Star Wars!

Reaction score
I might be the only person who prefers dubbed movies over subtitles. This is because, when I watch a movie at home, I almost never give any film my full, undivided attention. So dubbing allows me to keep up with the plot and do other stuff at the same time.

Miller said that there is no continuity in Mad Max. All the movies are future myths told about The Road Warrior which may or may not be true.

This is now how I approach Star Wars ;)

I think if I made the sequels, I would possibly use the Zahn books characters... but completely re-write the stories, which I hated. A non-force user in a fancy medal encrusted white uniform is better than another old man in bathrobe and easychair. The idea of making it about mopping up after Endor is a solid place to start. Add an appropriate gap of years as needed.

Above all, make it about homages to old classics, and creating the "vibe" of watching foreign films. Not about re-hashing Star Wars!

Right now, I think The Mandalorian is the only sequel to ROTJ that I even care about. I always thought Luke, Han, and Leia's story was done at the end of ROTJ, so I've never wanted to see more stories featuring them as the lead characters. This is why I never got into the 1990s EU. I know I'm in the minority on this, but it is what it is.

Reaction score
TBH I think we're our own worst enemy when it comes to this, because when Hollywood does try something new and unexplored it does very poorly. Thus we've spoken and told them what we're after by rewarding mediocrity and the same old same old reboots.

There's definitely an element of truth to this MF. But I think that has a lot to do with the cost of going to the cinema these days. It can be an expensive trip, especially if you're towing along the family, so often people will opt for what they think is going to be a spectacle. Most folk simply don't just take a chance any more, because the money they have to hand over doesn't justify it. It's hard to understand these days, but years ago, people would just pop into the cinema on a whim and watch whatever.

Agreed. IMO that's what i call butchering a film, it just feels like they took out all the heart and essences of the story by doing voice overs. I watch a lot of Foreign films and if there isn't a subbed version I'll try to skip it until there is. It just doesn't feel right having some monotone speaking American voice in the part and it very rarely captures the mood the original actor was in.

Some dubbing can work. But, yeh, in general it's never a better option to just using subs.

But, as I said, there are caveats involved. For instance, with those 60's spaghetti westerns I'll opt for the the English dub, since A. it's supposed to be in America and B. All of those Italian films were dubbed anyway, whether it was in English or Italian, so it doesn't really matter and there was also a substantial amount of English dialogue spoken on the shoot anyhow.

The absolute worst is how the Russians do some movies. They'll have one guy...one guy...narrating every bit of dialogue into Russian. Crazy way to watch a movie.

Reaction score

That's grand for Miller to say. But I still prefer a character in a series (whether movie or TV) to be played by the same guy/gal.

Either way, Fury Road simply doesn't add on to the original trilogy at all, no matter how good it is.

Reaction score
I might be the only person who prefers dubbed movies over subtitles. This is because, when I watch a movie at home, I almost never give any film my full, undivided attention. So dubbing allows me to keep up with the plot and do other stuff at the same time.

Mmmm, well you're doing it "wrong" BB. 😁

Seriously though, you have to give your attention to any story, otherwise you're missing a lot of it.

I understand there are life distractions that get in the way and I'll often have a movie playing on the laptop if I'm working on the PC just for background noise. But it really isn't a way to watch a film.

Right now, I think The Mandalorian is the only sequel to ROTJ that I even care about. I always thought Luke, Han, and Leia's story was done at the end of ROTJ, so I've never wanted to see more stories featuring them as the lead characters. This is why I never got into the 1990s EU. I know I'm in the minority on this, but it is what it is.

Actually, I think you're in the majority there.

Reaction score
Yeah. I reckon I'm done.

Only half was directed at you - for moaning in this thread. I don't what you are like in other threads in other threads.

I was mainly directing at the professional whingers who do nothing but moan and complain in every thread. They are tiresome.

Reaction score
The only movies i let play in the background are one's that I've watched my whole life and can follow along without 100% attention focused on it.
However, movies like Train to Busan for instance, require your full attention to understand it.

Reaction score
The only movies i let play in the background are one's that I've watched my whole life and can follow along without 100% attention focused on it.
However, movies like Train to Busan for instance, require your full attention to understand it.

I think most movies do demand your full attention to be fully understood. But, yeh, something that you're completely familiar with and seen a dozen times before can rattle on while you something else and you can dip in and out of.

Funny though, I've seen 'Star Wars' over 100 times by now, and I'd probably get sucked into watching it fully if I was to stick it on now. The same would go for 'Jaws'. I guess they're just attention grabbers.

Reaction score
Mmmm, well you're doing it "wrong" BB. 😁

Seriously though, you have to give your attention to any story, otherwise you're missing a lot of it.

I understand there are life distractions that get in the way and I'll often have a movie playing on the laptop if I'm working on the PC just for background noise. But it really isn't a way to watch a film.

Sometimes I'll watch a dubbed Japanese movie with closed captioning turned on. Wrap your head around that one. :p

Seriously, though there are a few movies that I watch initially dubbed, but like enough to track down the subtitled version. Akira would be one, especially since they re-dubbed the movie in the 2000s and the new voices and dialog are terrible.

Shin Godzilla is another movie that I've only seen dubbed, but I love it and will definitely watch it with subtitles at some point. Although, there is so much text on the screen, even in the dubbed version, that I'm not sure if I would have been able to keep up with it if I had seen it originally with subtitles.

Train to Busan was great and I've only seen that one with subtitles. I saw it for free on what I'm sure was a totally legitimate and legal movie website. 😇

Reaction score
Sometimes I'll watch a dubbed Japanese movie with closed captioning turned on. Wrap your head around that one. :p

DisastrousUnfoldedDarklingbeetle-size_restricted.gif

Seriously, though there are a few movies that I watch initially dubbed, but like enough to track down the subtitled version. Akira would be one, especially since they re-dubbed the movie in the 2000s and the new voices and dialog are terrible.

Don't know if Anime really counts though. It's hard to tell what language cartoons are originally speaking, even if it's set in Japan. Re: 'Akira', I've always really liked the original 1991 English dub. Never got with the Japanese voice over for some reason and I've no idea why they redubbed the whole thing in the 2000's.

Shin Godzilla is another movie that I've only seen dubbed, but I love it and will definitely watch it with subtitles at some point. Although, there is so much text on the screen, even in the dubbed version, that I'm not sure if I would have been able to keep up with it if I had seen it originally with subtitles.

'Shin Godzilla' is probably the best Godzilla movie ever made, although that wouldn't be hard really. It's certainly a million times better than that terrible King of the monsters thing. Pity there'll be no sequel.

Reaction score
If we are talking dubs, look up Transformers Season 4, Truely terrible dub work, but they were the episodes aired in Japan but not the US...
Blaster:Billy

Reaction score
The only one whinging is you.

Everyone else is having a discussion. ;)

No it is a thread a being creative with alternate STs but was dragged OFF TOPIC by the usual moaning about the actual ST.

Probably started by since all you seem to do is complain about everything. And as I said before it takes a lot for this nicknames to stick in my memory.

Reaction score
There's a difference between people discussing something in a critical manner and whining about people not talking about the things YOU want them to talk about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Personal attacks removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
"whinging" is such a weird word (I learned it late in the game). Half "whining" and half "winging"; I wonder how a native speaker feels about it.

Reaction score
"whinging" is such a weird word (I learned it late in the game). Half "whining" and half "winging"; I wonder how a native speaker feels about it.

An occasional whinge in real life is good for the health even though a whinge is about feeling sorry for yourself.

A constant stream of it in a format like these forums is unhealthy and sad.

Reaction score
Well at least you’ve stopped *****ing and moaning about the franchise.

This must be record. Could he harmful so be careful, but I doubt you can keep it up for long anyway.

Critical discussion is not "moaning". Not all discussion is going to be happy clappy. There will be talking points and bones of contention brought up that are going to be disagreeable.

Learn the difference.

What YOU are doing is moaning, because people on a thread are discussing something in terms that you, personally, don't like.

Reaction score
Critical discussion is not "moaning". Not all discussion is going to be happy clappy. There will be talking points and bones of contention brought up that are going to be disagreeable.

Learn the difference.

What YOU are doing is moaning, because people on a thread are discussing something in terms that you, personally, don't like.

You don’t do “critical discussion”.

You ***** and moan. You came to this thread to whinge and complain about the Sequels - something that was completely off topic. You the then went off in wild tangents out of spite. No doubt it is becasue you don’t have the imagination to give any creative input into the creation of a story.

That is pretty pathetic.

Other people on the boards have imagination and creativity to spare. I’d much rather read their ideas and than your sad sack complaints.

Learn to read the thread titles. Now you may go. Shoo!!

Reaction score
It's an old English word, derived from German, like so much of the English language.

looky-up, looky-up... very old German... but as a German, I sorta see the connection...

From Middle English whinsen, from Old English hwinsian (“to whine”), from Proto-West Germanic *hwinisōn (“to whine”), from Proto-West Germanic *hwīnan (“to whine”), from Proto-Indo-European *ḱwey- (“to hiss, whistle, whisper”). Cognate with German winseln (“to whine, whimper”).

Reaction score
You don’t do “critical discussion”.

You have no idea what constitutes a discussion, as is readily apparent.

You ***** and moan. You came to this thread to whinge and complain about the Sequels - something that was completely off topic. You the then went off in wild tangents out of spite. No doubt it is becasue you don’t have the imagination to give any creative input into the creation of a story.

Actually, all I did was reply to Masterfett's post #59 in which he mentioned that he thought it was too late to produce the sequels and that, effectively that time had passed.

That tangent, which will happen in all discussions, came about from Masterfett and not only involved myself, but TauntaunScout, Caas_Sandhri, Lobotscomb and BigBarada. This is what happens when adults talk about things. Points get brought up and the discussion grows.

Not only that, those tangents came to an end on Aug 29th when TauntaunScout posted " I don’t think Star Wars should be dubbed in anime."

YOU then decided to post a silly and whingy meme FOUR bloody days later. :rolleyes:

That is pretty pathetic.

The ONLY one being "pathetic" on this thread is you. Whining because people aren't doing things they way you want them to. There's 6 year olds that can cope better.

Other people on the boards have imagination and creativity to spare. I’d much rather read their ideas and than your sad sack complaints.

You're the only one who's complaining. Everyone else is sharing their opinions and discussing something.

Learn to read the thread titles. Now you may go. Shoo!!

Do us all a favour and put me on ignore. That way you'll have your little safe space and won't get upset because someone said something you don't like.

Reaction score
Were' also discussing something that literally cannot be done, the ST has already been done regardless of how we feel about it. Like it or not.
This is likely why only a few have even commented, because there really is no point, as it's essentially crying over spilt milk.

You either like the ST, thus nothing to redo. Or you dislike it and are basically whining that it wasn't done the way you wanted.

A better thread might have been where to we go from here, at least it has possibilities whereas you can't change the ST no matter how much some might like to. I remember all the discussions for the PT while the wait was on after they had been announced, and at least that felt new because no one had ever really touched on it before. Unlike the vast EU of post ROTJ that was all thrown to the wayside to create something arguably worse.

Even though i wasn't big fan of the ST, i am curious of "what's next" for Rey. Which now seems unlikely, though still possible if a course correction happens and they make better stories for her character. Because I do like Daisy and though she was great in TFA, so to see her character grow would be interesting. Though it would seem to be very much parallel to Luke's journey, last of his kind and "inexperienced" trying to rebuild an old lost Order and bring peace to the Galaxy.

Maybe in 5-10 when the bad taste is over we might see her again, or maybe they even recast Rey? Also as I said before I wouldn't have minded exploring Finn and his apparent Force awareness.

Reaction score
Were' also discussing something that literally cannot be done, the ST has already been done regardless of how we feel about it. Like it or not.
This is likely why only a few have even commented, because there really is no point, as it's essentially crying over spilt milk.

You either like the ST, thus nothing to redo. Or you dislike it and are basically whining that it wasn't done the way you wanted.

This is probably true in case of every Star Wars fan that had an issue with how the sequels were handled. Even people that liked them. But it still isn't going to stop people, either on here or elsewhere, dissecting and analysing what it was that went "wrong", as far as they're concerned. But, yeh, it's done and dusted, but the what if's are going to go on for a long time yet.

The good thing about how the trilogies were made (accidentally, of course) is that you can eliminate the ones you think are rubbish and still enjoy what's left.

A better thread might have been where to we go from here, at least it has possibilities whereas you can't change the ST no matter how much some might like to. I remember all the discussions for the PT while the wait was on after they had been announced, and at least that felt new because no one had ever really touched on it before. Unlike the vast EU of post ROTJ that was all thrown to the wayside to create something arguably worse.

Even though i wasn't big fan of the ST, i am curious of "what's next" for Rey. Which now seems unlikely, though still possible if a course correction happens and they make better stories for her character. Because I do like Daisy and though she was great in TFA, so to see her character grow would be interesting. Though it would seem to be very much parallel to Luke's journey, last of his kind and "inexperienced" trying to rebuild an old lost Order and bring peace to the Galaxy.

I can't be alone when I say that I just don't care what happens to Rey. She's essentially a god that nothing bad can happen to, because she'll magic up some new Force power to deal with it and everything will be hunky dory again. She's a "character" with no real past and no real future.

As to where Star Wars can go from here, well the answer to that is anywhere. Star Wars is a "galaxy of adventures", and should not limited to the same old faces turning up time and time again. Especially when those old faces are getting abused by bad writing.

My biggest hope for the future of Star Wars is that Disney will have learned their lessons from their missteps in the ST and be more careful, MUCH more careful, in the future. 'Rogue One' and 'The Mandalorian' has shown that it's possible for them to "do" Star Wars in a relatively satisfactory manner as the vast majority of fans have had a warm reception toward those pieces. But its up to the Disney producers to draw their information from the successful elements of their efforts so far, as well as the failures. There's definitely potential there. But it will take careful development and not the ad hoc nonsense that was the approach to the sequels.

Reaction score
This is probably true in case of every Star Wars fan that had an issue with how the sequels were handled. Even people that liked them. But it still isn't going to stop people, either on here or elsewhere, dissecting and analysing what it was that went "wrong", as far as they're concerned. But, yeh, it's done and dusted, but the what if's are going to go on for a long time yet.

The good thing about how the trilogies were made (accidentally, of course) is that you can eliminate the ones you think are rubbish and still enjoy what's left.

I can't be alone when I say that I just don't care what happens to Rey. She's essentially a god that nothing bad can happen to, because she'll magic up some new Force power to deal with it and everything will be hunky dory again. She's a "character" with no real past and no real future.

As to where Star Wars can go from here, well the answer to that is anywhere. Star Wars is a "galaxy of adventures", and should not limited to the same old faces turning up time and time again. Especially when those old faces are getting abused by bad writing.

My biggest hope for the future of Star Wars is that Disney will have learned their lessons from their missteps in the ST and be more careful, MUCH more careful, in the future. 'Rogue One' and 'The Mandalorian' has shown that it's possible for them to "do" Star Wars in a relatively satisfactory manner as the vast majority of fans have had a warm reception toward those pieces. But its up to the Disney producers to draw their information from the successful elements of their efforts so far, as well as the failures. There's definitely potential there. But it will take careful development and not the ad hoc nonsense that was the approach to the sequels.

Amen.
And as long as they can control themselves and keep modern-day-politics and bs like that out of it, which unfortunately seem to be the thing in showbusiness and Hollywood in particular, they can and most likely will do fine.
I'm just not sure they possess that level of self control, with their current roster. It's like a fat kid in a candy shop.

Reaction score
Amen.
And as long as they can control themselves and keep modern-day-politics and bs like that out of it, which unfortunately seem to be the thing in showbusiness and Hollywood in particular, they can and most likely will do fine.
I'm just not sure they possess that level of self control, with their current roster. It's like a fat kid in a candy shop.

This is another issue with modern Hollywood though Oof. Everything is focus groups, feedback, charts, quotas, representation, targets, goals and whatever you're having yourself...but writing an actual story that makes a modicum of sense is forgotten.

Reaction score
You have no idea what constitutes a discussion, as is readily apparent.

Actually, all I did was reply to Masterfett's post #59 in which he mentioned that he thought it was too late to produce the sequels and that, effectively that time had passed.

That tangent, which will happen in all discussions, came about from Masterfett and not only involved myself, but TauntaunScout, Caas_Sandhri, Lobotscomb and BigBarada. This is what happens when adults talk about things. Points get brought up and the discussion grows.

Not only that, those tangents came to an end on Aug 29th when TauntaunScout posted " I don’t think Star Wars should be dubbed in anime."

YOU then decided to post a silly and whingy meme FOUR bloody days later. :rolleyes:

The ONLY one being "pathetic" on this thread is you. Whining because people aren't doing things they way you want them to. There's 6 year olds that can cope better.

You're the only one who's complaining. Everyone else is sharing their opinions and discussing something.

Do us all a favour and put me on ignore. That way you'll have your little safe space and won't get upset because someone said something you don't like.

I said you can go. Now shoo.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Were' also discussing something that literally cannot be done,

Who cares that it can't be done? You are missing the entire point of the thread

the ST has already been done regardless of how we feel about it. Like it or not.

Then why did you help derail the thread with *****ing and moaning about the Sequels?

better thread might have been where to we go from here,..

Nothing stopping you from creating that thread, but that wasn't the topic of this one.

Reaction score
I like that idea about a Sith Temple deep beneath the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.

Somebody mentioned earlier in the thread that this was a story in the EU. I thought at first it was a silly idea but in the real world the Christians built churches on pagan sites and thee are any Christian traditions built on pagan ideas.

How would you work it into a story in an alternate Sequel film? And would it have booby traps?

Reaction score
Amen.
This is what bothers me the most, we at times a be in a light disagreement on how the movie was done, fine this ha been so for the ages. However, when they add that type of BS it's almost as if they're begging for a fight between viewers. There's a reason why politics shouldn't be brought up and for a damn good reason, almost no one can ever agree. And adding i to fantasy/sci-fi movies is a bad idea unless that's what the movie is actually about.

Movies are supposed to be meant for enjoyment so I feel those elements should be left out in Star Wars at least.