If you were asked to create the Sequels

Reaction score
There is probably a thread about this already but I've searched through the pages and cannot see it.

For people who did not like the Sequel Trilogy, what would you have done different?

What OT characters would have returned ?

Who are your new characters?

What is the political situation in the GFFA?

Who are the new villains for Jedi to fight and what is the military force that threatens freedom this time?

Reaction score
As I've mention in another thread and have repeatedly said, I wouldn't have even addressed the OT cast in this new adventure. It should have been something totally new from the start. You could have gone back at any time to address the passing of the torch if one wanted to, regardless of how it played out you were likely never going to get all 3 mains back together for various and obvious reasons.

The setup in the ST is just way too similar to the OT, and thus just goes down from there with more bad decisions. Then again that's the built in problem with the reboot/redo king JJ. IMO they should have hired someone else, good or bad it would have been new and based on those merits.

Reaction score
As I've mention in another thread and have repeatedly said, I wouldn't have even addressed the OT cast in this new adventure. It should have been something totally new from the start. You could have gone back at any time to address the passing of the torch if one wanted to, regardless of how it played out you were likely never going to get all 3 mains back together for various and obvious reasons.

The setup in the ST is just way too similar to the OT, and thus just goes down from there with more bad decisions. Then again that's the built in problem with the reboot/redo king JJ. IMO they should have hired someone else, good or bad it would have been new and based on those merits.
I saw one of those posts and said similar about staring with spinoffs

More Hamill as Luke is what I've wanted since RotJ

Agree about Abrams. I was a fan at the time despite where Star Trek went wrong and thought he was solid choice - that he could capture the magic but make it original. In fact my worry was that he might go too far. Turned out the opposite - not far enough.

The thread is about story though - what kind of characters did you want and what new villain, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
While not the most popular opinion.... (Hollywood wise) I would like to see after Jedi via animated movies. This gives the option of bringing back characters that have passed in real life & keep them age appropriate.

Luke could start the search for force sensitive people & create the Jedi Academy.

The Vong could be a looming threat as the Empire restructures in the aftermath of Endor . Maybe even explore the grey area between the new republic & Empire & find out it wasn’t as black & White as it seemed.

Reaction score
Not having seen or read any Disney-era movie or comics, I would have passed on making any more movies after Revenge of the Sith came out. I like the existing stories in the Expanded Universe and I've never been interested in rebooting the franchise or discarding the old continuity. :)

Reaction score
Not having seen or read any Disney-era movie or comics, I would have passed on making any more movies after Revenge of the Sith came out. I like the existing stories in the Expanded Universe and I've never been interested in rebooting the franchise or discarding the old continuity. :)
In other you'd have turned down the job?

Yeah, sure you would.

Reaction score
While not the most popular opinion.... (Hollywood wise) I would like to see after Jedi via animated movies. This gives the option of bringing back characters that have passed in real life & keep them age appropriate.

Luke could start the search for force sensitive people & create the Jedi Academy.

The Vong could be a looming threat as the Empire restructures in the aftermath of Endor . Maybe even explore the grey area between the new republic & Empire & find out it wasn’t as black & White as it seemed.
I would be in favour of animation to tell stories of the OT gang during and after the rebellion but I would want Hamill back as Luke on the big screen first.

I only got to read the few Vong books but I liked them.

How long does your Imperial Remenant last?

Last edited:
Reaction score
There was an established history that could have been used for the Sequel Trilogy. You can deny the EU all you want, but just like the MCU and all the comic content that existed, you could very easily have taken that EU content and made wonderful stories regardless of if you wanted to touch on the 'mains' or not. Since they were all still alive when TFA was created, I would have had a fun, touching goodbye to those characters and then finished the story without them for the most part. The fact that they NEVER got the whole gang together in this ST is such a travesty. It is INCONCEIVABLE that they didn't have a plan to have them all together at any point. The "Chewie, we're home" moment was magic, but the movie then became a Han Solo movie where the characters Disney wanted you to like just followed him around. Once Han died, so did a lot of the magic. Then Luke got involved.... but didn't get INVOLVED. And their plan for Leia......... The ST is now just a series that kills off the heroes in my book and it's hard to get past it.
They really needed to touch on what had happened in the 30 years between ROTJ and TFA somehow and what they did with it didn't really match what we saw at the end of ROTJ so it was a real stretch to see Han back to being a smuggler, separated from Leia and Luke hiding. It just felt WRONG.

Vong? Maybe. Thrawn? Maybe. Something else besides Empire vs Rebels.... definitely. New Order vs Resistance was boring. At least the Palpatine part (as contrived and unlikely as it was) gave the new characters something new to do.

Reaction score
There was an established history that could have been used for the Sequel Trilogy. You can deny the EU all you want, but just like the MCU and all the comic content that existed, you could very easily have taken that EU content and made wonderful stories regardless of if you wanted to touch on the 'mains' or not. Since they were all still alive when TFA was created, I would have had a fun, touching goodbye to those characters and then finished the story without them for the most part. The fact that they NEVER got the whole gang together in this ST is such a travesty. It is INCONCEIVABLE that they didn't have a plan to have them all together at any point. The "Chewie, we're home" moment was magic, but the movie then became a Han Solo movie where the characters Disney wanted you to like just followed him around. Once Han died, so did a lot of the magic. Then Luke got involved.... but didn't get INVOLVED. And their plan for Leia......... The ST is now just a series that kills off the heroes in my book and it's hard to get past it.
They really needed to touch on what had happened in the 30 years between ROTJ and TFA somehow and what they did with it didn't really match what we saw at the end of ROTJ so it was a real stretch to see Han back to being a smuggler, separated from Leia and Luke hiding. It just felt WRONG.

Vong? Maybe. Thrawn? Maybe. Something else besides Empire vs Rebels.... definitely. New Order vs Resistance was boring. At least the Palpatine part (as contrived and unlikely as it was) gave the new characters something new to do.
I'm disappointed by the Sequels we got as much as the next person, but I really wanted the thread to be about something positive and imaginative.

Just for the sake of keeping the thread on track the EU is also cancelled and the background you set up for the politics, etc. has to fit with the little we learned in The Mandolorian.

Reaction score
we played this game about 8 years ago when Disney announced they were making new movies. based on nothing but the casting call, we all made outlandish predictions. IIRC, the casting call was asking for a whole crew of 20-something millennial-types -- (compare to the menagerie of OT casting: a young kid, a 30-something male, an Old Man, a british robot, a 7-foot wookiee, and a princess).

based on this homogeneous 'casting-call-for-millennial-types', I was predicting a "Jedi Academy" storyline. it was kind of eerie to see what JJ turned in, a lot of the same story points actually came true, (at least the broad strokes anyway). my version went something like this (embellished here for the sake of this thread):

- Luke has a jedi academy on Yavin IV. he 'cherry picks' the lessons he teaches to his students and keeps them sheltered from the realities of the force -- he teaches them nothing of the dark side; his students have never even heard of the Sith; they have no idea that the dark side even exists.

- one of the older students borrows a line from Anakin "...there are things about the force he's not telling us!" and he learns about the dark side on his own time. he convinces a group of fellow students to stage a mutiny and take over the school.

- Luke is called away on a diplomatic mission, to either (a) recruit a new force-sensitive child to join the academy or (b) to assist Leia in uniting the galaxy under her 'new republic' banner -- either way, Luke goes on an "away mission" and leaves the students to fend for themselves for a few weeks.

- the aforementioned mutiny takes place. the leader of the mutiny (male), and a half dozen of his friends, are obsessed with learning more about the dark side. they kill Luke's students and burn down the Jedi School in search of artifacts/holocrons/'mysteries of the sith' -- only a handful of 'good' padawans escape.

- these "escapees" are led by a young padawan (female). they escape into the jungle, find themselves a ship, and make their way off-world to Han's House, seeking refuge.

- because he is married to Leia, Han is basically rich... but he's living his life without purpose. the MF was destroyed/sold many years ago. Han has replaced it with a shiny-new factory-fresh YT-1300 (same make and model as the old MF, but this one is brand new "fully loaded" with ALL the bells & whistles) -- it is superior to the Old Falcon in every way, but Han can't stand it -- he is constantly whining about how much he loves/misses his old ship. this becomes a running gag through the whole movie. (Chewie laughs).

- the "escapees" make their way to Han's House, pursued by the "mutineers". (insert battle scene here). they escape with Han in Falcon2.0 -- Han's Mission (should he choose to accept it) is to reunite these kids with Luke. he becomes an unlikely father-figure to a bunch of padawans.

- through the course of the movie, both the "escapees" and the "mutineers" learn stuff about the true nature of the force (which Luke had never told them).

- the bad students acquire knowledge of the dark side, and their leader declares himself to be a "sith lord" in the tradition of Darth Vader -- he becomes the Main Villain of the trilogy, along with his band of "evil knights" -- they find a sith temple (and/or a sith artifact) which makes them into a real threat, on a galactic scale

- the good students are finally reunited with Luke at the end of the movie, but they are jaded/pissed-off, because Luke was hiding relevant facts about the force which have now put the entire galaxy in danger, all over again.

- by sheltering his students from the realities of the dark side, Luke was only trying to prevent "jedi-history" from repeating itself -- but in the end, his actions actually CAUSED a New Sith Order to form, from within the ranks of his New Jedi Order -- just like what happened a thousand years ago, the history of the Jedi/Sith relationship has now repeated itself, and a New Sith Order is born to threaten the galaxy all over again.

-(meanwhile)-

- Leia is having a hard time uniting the galaxy under her New Republic banner. now free of the Empire, a thousand free planets each want to do their own thing. uniting them all under one government, proves to be a lot like "herding cats" -- the Forces Of Good are divided, heading into movie#2.

- among these thousand planets, remnants of the Empire still exist. but these imperial loyalists lack a "Sith Lord" to lead them like the good old days. at the end of the first movie, these "remnants of the empire" hook up with their "new sith lord" -- the Forces Of Evil are united, and ready for movie#2.

^^ (so basically it's an Origin Story, for the "New Sith Order" -- to explain how a "new Empire" could rise from the ashes of the old one -- unlike the "First Order" which had NO explanation whatsoever).LOL

at the time when we made our predictions, nobody on the forum liked these ideas, because they said it sounded too much like the Hunger Games LOL....

....but when TFA came out, it was eerie to see a lot of the 'broad strokes' had actually come to pass -- including the "mutineer" (Ren) and his band of acolytes (Knights of Ren), who kill Luke's students, and burn down his temple..

(it was also super-weird when these "knights of Ren" had no purpose in the actual ST -- they seem like a leftover plot point, from somebody-else's story-ideas. :unsure: LOL)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think I kind of like the idea of a new ship because the Falcon was destroyed. IMO TFA rides too heavily on nostalgia. Though I guess Disney didn't want the whole thing to not resemble Star Wars at all, with all new cast, all new ships, all new alien. etc. So they needed to bring in reminders to tell us old folks it's still Star Wars keep watching. Because most of this wouldn't even matter to their target audience of anew generation.

Reaction score
we played this game about 8 years ago when Disney announced they were making new movies. based on nothing but the casting call, we all made outlandish predictions. IIRC, the casting call was asking for a whole crew of 20-something millennial-types -- (compare to the menagerie of OT casting: a young kid, a 30-something male, an Old Man, a british robot, a 7-foot wookiee, and a princess).

based on this homogeneous 'casting-call-for-millennial-types', I was predicting a "Jedi Academy" storyline. it was kind of eerie to see what JJ turned in, a lot of the same story points actually came true, (at least the broad strokes anyway). my version went something like this (embellished here for the sake of this thread):

- Luke has a jedi academy on Yavin IV. he 'cherry picks' the lessons he teaches to his students and keeps them sheltered from the realities of the force -- he teaches them nothing of the dark side; his students have never even heard of the Sith; they have no idea that the dark side even exists.

- one of the older students borrows a line from Anakin "...there are things about the force he's not telling us!" and he learns about the dark side on his own time. he convinces a group of fellow students to stage a mutiny and take over the school.

- Luke is called away on a diplomatic mission, to either (a) recruit a new force-sensitive child to join the academy or (b) to assist Leia in uniting the galaxy under her 'new republic' banner -- either way, Luke goes on an "away mission" and leaves the students to fend for themselves for a few weeks.

- the aforementioned mutiny takes place. the leader of the mutiny (male), and a half dozen of his friends, are obsessed with learning more about the dark side. they kill Luke's students and burn down the Jedi School in search of artifacts/holocrons/'mysteries of the sith' -- only a handful of 'good' padawans escape.

- these "escapees" are led by a young padawan (female). they escape into the jungle, find themselves a ship, and make their way off-world to Han's House, seeking refuge.

- because he is married to Leia, Han is basically rich... but he's living his life without purpose. the MF was destroyed/sold many years ago. Han has replaced it with a shiny-new factory-fresh YT-1300 (same make and model as the old MF, but this one is brand new "fully loaded" with ALL the bells & whistles) -- it is superior to the Old Falcon in every way, but Han can't stand it -- he is constantly whining about how much he loves/misses his old ship. this becomes a running gag through the whole movie. (Chewie laughs).

- the "escapees" make their way to Han's House, pursued by the "mutineers". (insert battle scene here). they escape with Han in Falcon2.0 -- Han's Mission (should he choose to accept it) is to reunite these kids with Luke. he becomes an unlikely father-figure to a bunch of padawans.

- through the course of the movie, both the "escapees" and the "mutineers" learn stuff about the true nature of the force (which Luke had never told them).

- the bad students acquire knowledge of the dark side, and their leader declares himself to be a "sith lord" in the tradition of Darth Vader -- he becomes the Main Villain of the trilogy, along with his band of "evil knights" -- they find a sith temple (and/or a sith artifact) which makes them into a real threat, on a galactic scale

- the good students are finally reunited with Luke at the end of the movie, but they are jaded/pissed-off, because Luke was hiding relevant facts about the force which have now put the entire galaxy in danger, all over again.

- by sheltering his students from the realities of the dark side, Luke was only trying to prevent "jedi-history" from repeating itself -- but in the end, his actions actually CAUSED a New Sith Order to form, from within the ranks of his New Jedi Order -- just like what happened a thousand years ago, the history of the Jedi/Sith relationship has now repeated itself, and a New Sith Order is born to threaten the galaxy all over again.

-(meanwhile)-

- Leia is having a hard time uniting the galaxy under her New Republic banner. now free of the Empire, a thousand free planets each want to do their own thing. uniting them all under one government, proves to be a lot like "herding cats" -- the Forces Of Good are divided, heading into movie#2.

- among these thousand planets, remnants of the Empire still exist. but these imperial loyalists lack a "Sith Lord" to lead them like the good old days. at the end of the first movie, these "remnants of the empire" hook up with their "new sith lord" -- the Forces Of Evil are united, and ready for movie#2.

^^ (so basically it's an Origin Story, for the "New Sith Order" -- to explain how a "new Empire" could rise from the ashes of the old one -- unlike the "First Order" which had NO explanation whatsoever).LOL

at the time when we made our predictions, nobody on the forum liked these ideas, because they said it sounded too much like the Hunger Games LOL....

....but when TFA came out, it was eerie to see a lot of the 'broad strokes' had actually come to pass -- including the "mutineer" (Ren) and his band of acolytes (Knights of Ren).

(it was also super-weird when these "knights of Ren" had no purpose in the actual ST -- they seem like a leftover plot point, from somebody-else's story-ideas. :unsure: LOL)
Okay, I gave you the like because you "played the game" but I do not that like you brought back the Sith and Empire again. You even got rid of the Falcon just to bring in a new one.

Also how did Leia get rich? How much time has passed since RotJ? Do our heroes have kids?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think I kind of like the idea of a new ship because the Falcon was destroyed. IMO TFA rides too heavily on nostalgia. Though I guess Disney didn't want the whole thing to not resemble Star Wars at all, with all new cast, all new ships, all new alien. etc. So they needed to bring in reminders to tell us old folks it's still Star Wars keep watching. Because most of this wouldn't even matter to their target audience of anew generation.
The Millennium Falcon is the best spaceship ever and Han should pass it to his child or grandchild.

However, if it is to ended it should be done on screen with Han sacrificing it save his family.Something like that was done in the old EU - in an early book Han & Chewie go on a bender that results in them kidnapping Leia to stop her marrying a He-Man prince for a military alliance. The Falcon crashes on Dathomir and Han believes that to keep Leia safe he has to abandon it for good

Reaction score
Leia's rich because she's Leia. :p the planet Alderaan had accident insurance :p (and/or, the galaxy had a "go fund me" page for survivors-of-Alderaan). it doesn't matter.

point was, Han is in a position where he can have any ship in the universe but he still pines for his old busted stuff; he can live comfortably (and stop 'smuggling') but he still pines for his old life; in a nutshell, he has everything he ever wanted (including the girl), but he feels like he has no 'purpose' anymore, no reason to wake up in the morning.

as for kids, in retrospect, make the Evil Mutineer Padawan as Han's son; make the Good Escapee Padawan as Han's daughter -- call them Jacen and Jaina (NOT Ren and Rey) -- done and done. :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
Because Bail Organa wasn't stupid and he had diversified his assets so when the planet blew up he didn't have all his money in a mattress. :LOL:
Perhaps but I think that Lando would sweet-talk that money away from them.

Reaction score
I'm disappointed by the Sequels we got as much as the next person, but I really wanted the thread to be about something positive and imaginative.

Just for the sake of keeping the thread on track the EU is also cancelled and the background you set up for the politics, etc. has to fit with the little we learned in The Mandolorian.
I didn't feel my response was overly negative. If the EU is not a thing then clearly you need to make something up but I doubt any ideas wouldn't include some measure of the old EU. My point was that you didn't have to make it all up.

My story would be rather complex because my first movie would have given a visual of things that had happened in the last 30 years. Think LOTR prologue, all the flashback scenes in Harry Potter, or the intro to Watchmen. Obviously Star Wars would have to be different than all of these, but connecting the dots would be my first priority. You could use some of the de-aging tech but not overdo it.

This doesn't mean I'm delving into Poe's backstory and Rey's backstory and Finn's backstory because those characters can work well without knowing much about them at first. I'm just talking about putting some years out there so we can use Leia, Luke, Han, etc. **That is assuming you are using Rey, Finn and Poe, which I think would be perfectly fine if you then decided to have a fleshed out arc for each of them. Rey was 'the force awakening' so I see her as being pretty much fine with a few tweaks. Poe would have been my Cassian and Finn would have been a young military man trying to find his place. Finn was the one the directors had a great idea with but just didn't know how to follow through with it. Finn never once struck me as a stormtrooper.

All movies have to start with characters and then you move them forward. SO since I don't have a story yet, I'd just focus and making sure my characters were well developed and that it was clear to people that this was a Star Wars movie happening after ROTJ.

Reaction score
I would be in favour of animation to tell stories of the OT gang during and after the rebellion but I would want Hamill back as Luke.

How long does your Imperial Remenant last?
Even as a kid I didn’t think the Empire would be destroyed after 1battle. So I envision a civil war between different fractions of the Empire. Thrawn vs Human command.

Given Dune was such as influence on SW I could see the story leading to a darker route, but I don’t believe that is a story you could tell in the 80s. Dark Emperor Luke, taking control of former imperial worlds, & turning the rebellion into the bad guys just couldn’t be done. There are hints of it in the prequels but after the failure of ep1 we just weren’t going to see those storylines.

Reaction score
Even as a kid I didn’t think the Empire would be destroyed after 1battle. So I envision a civil war between different fractions of the Empire. Thrawn vs Human command.

Given Dune was such as influence on SW I could see the story leading to a darker route, but I don’t believe that is a story you could tell in the 80s. Dark Emperor Luke, taking control of former imperial worlds, & turning the rebellion into the bad guys just couldn’t be done. There are hints of it in the prequels but after the failure of ep1 we just weren’t going to see those storylines.
Not one battle, no, but not the 10/20 years it took in the old EU.

I know Luke going bad was a joke Lucas made to Kasdan at one time.

Reaction score
I didn't feel my response was overly negative. If the EU is not a thing then clearly you need to make something up but I doubt any ideas wouldn't include some measure of the old EU. My point was that you didn't have to make it all up.
I just meant I would like the to us making up stories of what could have been - all the thread are for what we did get.

My story would be rather complex because my first movie would have given a visual of things that had happened in the last 30 years. Think LOTR prologue, all the flashback scenes in Harry Potter, or the intro to Watchmen. Obviously Star Wars would have to be different than all of these, but connecting the dots would be my first priority. You could use some of the de-aging tech but not overdo it.
You wouldn't want to give too much away. Don't forget that you would have other media and spinoffs to tell the story of what happned since RotJ - comics, animation, etc.

This doesn't mean I'm delving into Poe's backstory and Rey's backstory and Finn's backstory because those characters can work well without knowing much about them at first. I'm just talking about putting some years out there so we can use Leia, Luke, Han, etc. **That is assuming you are using Rey, Finn and Poe, which I think would be perfectly fine if you then decided to have a fleshed out arc for each of them. Rey was 'the force awakening' so I see her as being pretty much fine with a few tweaks. Poe would have been my Cassian and Finn would have been a young military man trying to find his place. Finn was the one the directors had a great idea with but just didn't know how to follow through with it. Finn never once struck me as a stormtrooper.

All movies have to start with characters and then you move them forward. SO since I don't have a story yet, I'd just focus and making sure my characters were well developed and that it was clear to people that this was a Star Wars movie happening after ROTJ.
Finn was such a wasted opportunity and he & Poe were meh (breaking my own rules there :p)

Rey could be the "in" for newcomers who nothing or very little about the Jedi and the way the galaxy works. She has never left Jakku so it is all to her too. Jakku would need a radical overhaul - thee should be a reason there was a battle fought for the planet and the crashed ships should have devastating environmental impact. Like a mix of the junk planet from Thor 3 and the pollution of Blade Runner.

Shouldn't a basic story come first and then you fit the chapters into it?

Reaction score
You wouldn't want to give too much away. Don't forget that you would have other media and spinoffs to tell the story of what happned since RotJ - comics, animation, etc.
That's just it though. People didn't want to bother with reading a book and therefore, the EU was abandoned. The average fan doesn't want to have to go back and do homework in order to understand a story, especially if it is after the fact, unless that movie is extremely special (like the OT was). I have a lot of friends that love Star Wars but very few of even that small group has read anything Star Wars beyond an online synopsis.

Finn was such a wasted opportunity and he & Poe were meh (breaking my own rules there :p)

Rey could be the "in" for newcomers who nothing or very little about the Jedi and the way the galaxy works. She has never left Jakku so it is all to her too. Jakku would need a radical overhaul - thee should be a reason there was a battle fought for the planet and the crashed ships should have devastating environmental impact. Like a mix of the junk planet from Thor 3 and the pollution of Blade Runner.

Shouldn't a basic story come first and then you fit the chapters into it?
I like your description of a new planet and I feel like that sort of thing would have worked just fine. The thing that has always hooked ME personally into a show or movie is the characters. Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, X-Men, GI Joe, Star Wars... all of these are character driven in my opinion. Clearly Walking Dead and Game of Thrones have a very specific setting, but you can really do any story within the settings in these universes. I think that's the reason something like Valerian and the Thousand Whatevers, or any number of other CG wonders have been interesting and not iconic. Style over substance. Star Wars has a style, but also a UNIVERSAL substance that gets lost if you don't understand it.

Reaction score
That's just it though. People didn't want to bother with reading a book and therefore, the EU was abandoned. The average fan doesn't want to have to go back and do homework in order to understand a story, especially if it is after the fact, unless that movie is extremely special (like the OT was). I have a lot of friends that love Star Wars but very few of even that small group has read anything Star Wars beyond an online synopsis.
No the 30+ years since RotJ would just be for fans or anyone interested in further reading.

You use the crawl and dialogue to explain anything necessary to the story and characters. For example, we don't need to know every adventure Luke had with his son/daughter but there can be a reference, like "that business on Cato Nemondia doesn't count", or "you and I remain Budapest a lot differently", etc.

e your description of a new planet and I feel like that sort of thing would have worked just fine. The thing that has always hooked ME personally into a show or movie is the characters. Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, X-Men, GI Joe, Star Wars... all of these are character driven in my opinion. Clearly Walking Dead and Game of Thrones have a very specific setting, but you can really do any story within the settings in these universes. I think that's the reason something like Valerian and the Thousand Whatevers, or any number of other CG wonders have been interesting and not iconic. Style over substance. Star Wars has a style, but also a UNIVERSAL substance that gets lost if you don't understand it.
I was not suggesting story or locations are more important than characters.

You mentioned not have a story but focusing on developing the characters and I was asking can that be done without a story first.

Reaction score
As much as I love lightsabres I always thought that Luke (because of how dropped his weapon in the throne room) would become a peaceful warrior who only fights as a last resort and only uses his lightsaber when he has no other choice.

And the old Jedi Order were fairly lethal. So I think Luke's Jedi would not be so quick to kill.

Were Kenobi took Walrus Man's arm without a second thought, Luke would talk it down. He has not used the lightsabre in years

I'm not suggesting a Space Gandhi. Luke will fight but if he is going to hurt or kill somebody then it is necessary.

So when the new threat appears and Luke has to pick up his weapon again, it is a sign that these guys are something different.

Reaction score
This is quite a difficult question - not so much because there are too little options, but because there are so many.

The first decision would be whether we'd keep the old EU. Personally I never liked Disney's decision to kill it all (and even less the fact that they never "cleaned" the break). But I can see why they did it. If we keep the EU, then clearly the new movies would need to be set in a completely new time, say, 300-500 years after ROTJ. Remember, the old EU covered the timeline until the heroes' grandchildren (the Legacy comics) and built a substantially different universe with a ton of details that couldn't be dropped on new moviegoers without explanation. Moving forward in time would have the advantage that all these details are ancient history (meaning the casual fan doesn't need to know about them), and there's enough of a time gap to form the universe into any new shape that the authors want.

Essentially that would allow for a major reset and a new group of major characters, with or without connections to the old, and it would not disappoint old EU fans with unnecessary fractures in the universe.

However, we would bypass the only opportunity to revisit the old heroes. I can see why Disney wanted that: it's the arc from the OT to the ST; it's the fulfillment of the "nine movies" promise; it's familiar faces that get the seats filled.

Given the fact that the in-universe timeline would need be roughly around 35-40 ABY because that's the actors' age, we'd need to set the story in an already bustling old EU that's full of events, structures, and especially characters that can't really be explained or ignored. The new movies would need to cover a major chapter in the GFFA - we can't have movies that are a footnote to the books and comics. And since the old EU has been written beforehand, there is no chance that this new story would fit in.

The old EU already tells the heroes' life sufficiently; there is really no need to add movies on top.

An alternative to killing the whole old EU would have been to tell selected stories from it; it has been often mentioned by fans that the Thrawn trilogy would have made some good movies. But even putting aside the questions of canon and chronology, this would pose one real difficulty: the age of the actors. Current technology may yield results for short scenes and cameos (and even those have been criticized) but doing whole movies with de-aged actors is probably not a good idea at the moment.

So, old EU or new canon? I understand Disney's position in that (although I disagree); let's go with the old heroes in a new timeline. (Having a final good Luke appearance would maybe even reconcile me with D's major canon changes... yeah, I said good so it's hypothetical.)

There are three things to consider for a new story with the old heroes though.

First, the execs don't like stories with old people for this type of movie. They make exceptions to please the older cinematic crowd (see The Expendables), but they will want to add a bunch of new young heroes as identification figures. The Disney ST illustrates the problem herein: either the new or the old heroes will be shortchanged. A whole new heroic group plus the full cast of the old movies is a fair lot of protagonists for 2h movies.

The Disney ST skewed the screentime so much in favor of new heroes (Luke with not a single line in TFA?) that the decision to include the old cast at all becomes somewhat pointless. This is what they threw away the old EU for? Well, then. It doesn't work for me to have our OT crew just as decoration for the new (badly scripted) one.

Second, the story ends in ROTJ. The character arcs are closed, the theme finished. There is no real need to continue the tale unless there is something left to say. So, we need to give the oldtimers something new to discover, to allow them a chance to change and grow.

The classic way to turn over the story towards a new era is to have the old heroes as teachers and/or parents for the new ones, continuing the cycle. (Hey, they even did it in Kung Fu Panda...)

Third, these movies would be the setup for a whole new canon, which needs to support multiple forthcoming movies and stories. We can't just repeat the old Jedi vs Sith ad infinitum, so the groundwork must be laid for a universe that is multifaceted and allows for a wealth of details, but at the same time is easy to explain and can be understood without a 4 year course in Starwarsology.

(It is clear how much Disney botched it... old heroes were maltreated, new heroes turned out not so well, not providing a 3 movie arc left the new crew with no proper development or character arc, too much reiteration in TFA didn't pave the path for an exciting new canon... you name it, they did it.)

I would have given the old heroes a larger role than in the actual ST; the pupils/kids would be introduced but they would need to share center stage. This is a tricky situation - it's the farewell and conclusion for Han, Luke, Leia at the very least, and the beginning of the journey for the new crew. This makes the movie transitional, so... I'd make preparations for the movies 10-12 here too! The new crew would get their entrance, and then continue their arcs seamlessly in the 4th trilogy.

That way, we make room in the ST for the oldtimers, and at the same time feed the continuity and allow the new crew to grow into their future selves. (Though, I'm aware that plans for 6 movies - even if 10-12 don't need to be elaborated now - are a challenge for a studio and the involved people.)

Okay, so we have a lot of characters here. What's the universe they live in? As fans, we like to have the outlook of ROTJ fulfilled, so, Luke gets his Jedi academy, Leia gets to be a senator or something (even though she may already be out of official politics), and Han does the shady deals for her. No, I will never consider Han and Leia as divorced couple, nor Han as deadbeat father who went right back into smuggling. Nor will I want Luke as frustrated eremite, discarding his heritage, or Yoda as cackling gnome with ghost powers. Gah!

The galaxy needs to support a plethora of stories, so let's say: after the foundation of the New Republic, the political scene is fractured; the NR holds only a part of the galaxy, with the Imperial Remnant and other powers forming either allies or enemies and sometimes both. There are smaller factions and unaligned systems as wild frontier. Lots of relics from the war to be found by busy entrepeneurs; lots of shady doings on all worlds, and many people pressed into roles they don't fit into.

There must be an enemy too, but it would be too deja vu to use another Empire (or First Order). Actually, it might be interesting to see the Imperial Remnant acting as temporary ally now. If this were a multi-season series, I can imagine shifting alliances and many story twists, but it isn't; the plot needs to fit into approximately 3x2h. So the tale must be straightforward and character-driven. Would it be another "Star War", or a threat that's overcome by the hero group without space fleets and superweapons?

There are many options for the ultimate plot, just no more Death Star lookalikes...

Some time back, I tried to imagine an alternative ST with its basic elements as defined by Disney, but less remake-like. I believe that the ingredients were there but without the overarching framework it fell apart, TLJ broke its back, and TROS as salvation move didn't cut it. Though, there are too many "I wrote a better ST" attempts already, so I won't offer yet another rewrite.

Reaction score
This is quite a difficult question - not so much because there are too little options, but because there are so many.
This is something those involved didn't seem to understand which is why is why it went remake.

I really want to ask Dave Filoni what he knew and when and did he tell Kennedy it was all a bad idea. :p

The first decision would be whether we'd keep the old EU. Personally I never liked Disney's decision to kill it all (and even less the fact that they never "cleaned" the break). But I can see why they did it. If we keep the EU, then clearly the new movies would need to be set in a completely new time, say, 300-500 years after ROTJ. Remember, the old EU covered the timeline until the heroes' grandchildren (the Legacy comics) and built a substantially different universe with a ton of details that couldn't be dropped on new moviegoers without explanation. Moving forward in time would have the advantage that all these details are ancient history (meaning the casual fan doesn't need to know about them), and there's enough of a time gap to form the universe into any new shape that the authors want.

Essentially that would allow for a major reset and a new group of major characters, with or without connections to the old, and it would not disappoint old EU fans with unnecessary fractures in the universe.

However, we would bypass the only opportunity to revisit the old heroes. I can see why Disney wanted that: it's the arc from the OT to the ST; it's the fulfillment of the "nine movies" promise; it's familiar faces that get the seats filled.
There was a lot in the EU that I loved, but it had turned convoluted and repetitive.

The Empire survived for far too long.They finally brought in an original new enemy (the Vong) but afterwards Leia's kid becomes Darth Vader, gets killed by a member of his family and then 100 years later it happens all over again. They repeat it again in the ST.

Anakin kills the last Sith and that is the end of them, There is the whole time in ancient history of where the Sith can be used for comics, animation and live action movies.

There is the 20 yeas of the Dark Times and the after of the Battle of Endor where we can have all the fun we need with stormtroopers. We don't need it to keep happening over and over.

I would be in favour of cancelling the old EU - still there for us to enjoy - but we could also have a fun new one. And as you say this allows us to see the old gang back on the screen again. Plus as the creator of the post-RotJ GFFA you take whatever stories or elements you want and adapt them to fit the Expanded Universe. My favourite book as The Truce at Bakura and I would choose to keep that exactly as it is - the first post-Endor adventure that shows a the people loyal the Empire are also just people and that the war will end one day but also it has a fantastic new villain - the Ssi-Ruk. They suck the souls out of people to power they technology. How does something so awesome only get used once? They could be a recurring threat over the years. Cryytal Star, Courtship of Princess Leia, etc can all be adapted. Maybe Thrawn returns from where the space whales took him a Ezra?

Given the fact that the in-universe timeline would need be roughly around 35-40 ABY because that's the actors' age, we'd need to set the story in an already bustling old EU that's full of events, structures, and especially characters that can't really be explained or ignored. The new movies would need to cover a major chapter in the GFFA - we can't have movies that are a footnote to the books and comics. And since the old EU has been written beforehand, there is no chance that this new story would fit in.

The old EU already tells the heroes' life sufficiently; there is really no need to add movies on top.

An alternative to killing the whole old EU would have been to tell selected stories from it; it has been often mentioned by fans that the Thrawn trilogy would have made some good movies. But even putting aside the questions of canon and chronology, this would pose one real difficulty: the age of the actors. Current technology may yield results for short scenes and cameos (and even those have been criticized) but doing whole movies with de-aged actors is probably not a good idea at the moment.

So, old EU or new canon? I understand Disney's position in that (although I disagree); let's go with the old heroes in a new timeline. (Having a final good Luke appearance would maybe even reconcile me with D's major canon changes... yeah, I said good so it's hypothetical.)
As above, I'm in favour of two timelines.

There are three things to consider for a new story with the old heroes though.

First, the execs don't like stories with old people for this type of movie. They make exceptions to please the older cinematic crowd (see The Expendables), but they will want to add a bunch of new young heroes as identification figures. The Disney ST illustrates the problem herein: either the new or the old heroes will be shortchanged. A whole new heroic group plus the full cast of the old movies is a fair lot of protagonists for 2h movies.

The Disney ST skewed the screentime so much in favor of new heroes (Luke with not a single line in TFA?) that the decision to include the old cast at all becomes somewhat pointless. This is what they threw away the old EU for? Well, then. It doesn't work for me to have our OT crew just as decoration for the new (badly scripted) one.
The executives be damned. The OT gang is still awesome. Hamill has years of Luke Skywalker still left in him. We talk the suits around. ;)

I think the movies wold have to go passed the 2 hour runtime but with talented writers we could proper screen time and character development for both the old and new heroes, some world building and the introduction of the new Big Bad. I mean Marvel do it all the time - the Avengers gives everyone a fair shake and yes they have their own movies before and after but this can be done for Star Wars too.

Second, the story ends in ROTJ. The character arcs are closed, the theme finished. There is no real need to continue the tale unless there is something left to say. So, we need to give the oldtimers something new to discover, to allow them a chance to change and grow.

The classic way to turn over the story towards a new era is to have the old heroes as teachers and/or parents for the new ones, continuing the cycle. (Hey, they even did it in Kung Fu Panda...)
One story ends with RotJ. There can be more. Did any of ask why there was there an EU - the story was over? ;)

The EU can bring the old gangs continuing adventures and then the adventures they have with their kids. By the time of the ST Luke, Leia, etc. have settled down and don't see each other much - but the kids (experienced adventurers by now) undercover some new danger or get in way over their heads and the old gang reunite to save them.

Alternatively - the whole gang does not go along on the adventure. Like in new Trek series, escaping from a threat brings Picard back into contact with Riker and Troi in one of the best episodes. They don't join his crew but just being together and talking was better than having them in a space battle together and it showed how much has changed and was the same after all those years. Maybe have Luke and his son/daughter along with the droids seek out Han who just doesn't want to get involved (give him a good reason). Or something like this - the movie has a subplot showing Leia and Han raising their granddaughter which is why Luke will not go to them for help.

Third, these movies would be the setup for a whole new canon, which needs to support multiple forthcoming movies and stories. We can't just repeat the old Jedi vs Sith ad infinitum, so the groundwork must be laid for a universe that is multifaceted and allows for a wealth of details, but at the same time is easy to explain and can be understood without a 4 year course in Starwarsology.
There is so much that could be done.

Let's say Episode VII introduces the Yuuzhann Vong. Episode IX will be the end of that war five years later. Multiple spinoff movies, TV shows, comics, etc. can cover that whole war - the adventure of the captain and crew of a battlecruiser, Luke's kid gets a couple of solo adventures, create a New Republic secret agent series, the Skywalker kid and his buddy lead a commando unit on a mission, a movie from the Vong perspective, etc.

Plus we can still have Rogue One, Solo, etc. and stuff with stormtroopers.

(It is clear how much Disney botched it... old heroes were maltreated, new heroes turned out not so well, not providing a 3 movie arc left the new crew with no proper development or character arc, too much reiteration in TFA didn't pave the path for an exciting new canon... you name it, they did it.)

I would have given the old heroes a larger role than in the actual ST; the pupils/kids would be introduced but they would need to share center stage. This is a tricky situation - it's the farewell and conclusion for Han, Luke, Leia at the very least, and the beginning of the journey for the new crew. This makes the movie transitional, so... I'd make preparations for the movies 10-12 here too! The new crew would get their entrance, and then continue their arcs seamlessly in the 4th trilogy.

That way, we make room in the ST for the oldtimers, and at the same time feed the continuity and allow the new crew to grow into their future selves. (Though, I'm aware that plans for 6 movies - even if 10-12 don't need to be elaborated now - are a challenge for a studio and the involved people.)
This.

With talented writers and directors the old and new can shine.

And the Skywalker Saga doesn't even need to end. Five year break after IX start X. 10 or 15 years after XII we get XIII, etc.

Okay, so we have a lot of characters here. What's the universe they live in? As fans, we like to have the outlook of ROTJ fulfilled, so, Luke gets his Jedi academy, Leia gets to be a senator or something (even though she may already be out of official politics), and Han does the shady deals for her. No, I will never consider Han and Leia as divorced couple, nor Han as deadbeat father who went right back into smuggling. Nor will I want Luke as frustrated eremite, discarding his heritage, or Yoda as cackling gnome with ghost powers. Gah!

The galaxy needs to support a plethora of stories, so let's say: after the foundation of the New Republic, the political scene is fractured; the NR holds only a part of the galaxy, with the Imperial Remnant and other powers forming either allies or enemies and sometimes both. There are smaller factions and unaligned systems as wild frontier. Lots of relics from the war to be found by busy entrepeneurs; lots of shady doings on all worlds, and many people pressed into roles they don't fit into.
Star Wars needs to be fun and while it needs boo-hissable bad guys who are nasty the good guys win eventually and everything work out. Their lives don't have to be perfect.

The 30/35 years since Endor do need dangers other that alien soul stealers or Remnant. We would have the criminal underworld of course but there needs to be more. The political situation you describe is similar to what I hoped we get. In the aftermath of the death of Palpatine, the Rebel leadership try to carefully plan the liberation of systems but many rebels feel they are going too slow so quit to return home and fight for their own systems. This along with many not wanting another galactic government leads to many many independent systems. As the new government is being established the remainder who believe in one government starts to fracture resulting in two or three superpowers. Over the years there are disputes and hostilities that result in decades of Cold War. A treasure trove of story possibilities from espionage to political drama.

TFA made Leia and Han seem horrible. They just gave up on their kid instead of tracking him down and trying to fix it?

They don't have to be perfect parents though. They can take their kids on adventures but Leia was often overworked putting out political and diplomatic fires and no way Han is is a responsible parent. So like any family the relationship with their son & daughter is not ideal but like most grandparents Leia and Han now live for the granddaughter having learned from all the mistakes. :)

Threepio would be in his element working for Leia in government but he and Artoo can't be apart for long and are now with Luke all the time.

I don't know what Chewie could get up to in the previous decades but he has to be a part of the Sequel adventure.

Lando course goes back to getting rich and becomes a family man. How many families though? ;)

The new Jedi need to be different to the old (just to be new, not a criticism - I love the Jedi Order of the Prequel era) Jedi Temple. I think Luke would have travelled a lot looking for people with Force power and would have thought them on their homweworld or they travel with him and learn. Eventually he sets up a home and a school but it is like a mini colony - they farm, trade, etc - because I think Luke should keep the Jedi independent of any government so that they can go where they are needed but are not the law. And they are easy for people in need to contact them. And they should be very small in number so that danger is real and the loss of one is devastating to them.

There must be an enemy too, but it would be too deja vu to use another Empire (or First Order). Actually, it might be interesting to see the Imperial Remnant acting as temporary ally now. If this were a multi-season series, I can imagine shifting alliances and many story twists, but it isn't; the plot needs to fit into approximately 3x2h. So the tale must be straightforward and character-driven. Would it be another "Star War", or a threat that's overcome by the hero group without space fleets and superweapons?

There are many options for the ultimate plot, just no more Death Star lookalikes...

Some time back, I tried to imagine an alternative ST with its basic elements as defined by Disney, but less remake-like. I believe that the ingredients were there but without the overarching framework it fell apart, TLJ broke its back, and TROS as salvation move didn't cut it. Though, there are too many "I wrote a better ST" attempts already, so I won't offer yet another rewrite.
Empire and Remnant needs to be long gone. I think the enemy needs to be some from the far reaches of space with both a military and something mystical for the Jedi to fight - it's take of the Force or even some other power. The withes of Dathomir have a magic that is something separate from the Force so there are other elements to use.

Nothing wrong with a super weapon along as it is not, as you say, another copy of a Death Star

Reaction score
I don't think it was necessary to completely "throw out" the EU; nor do I think they should have "kept it" intact..
instead, they should have used the EU in the same way Marvel uses its own comic-canon, to "inspire" their MCU.
(by hitting the broad strokes of the comic canon, without actually repeating it all note-for-note).

example: Spiderman's "MJ" (Mary Jane Watson)... is now named "Michelle" and played by Zendaya *shrug* it's all good.
the MCU takes a LOT of liberties with the source material.. they make ALL KINDS of changes to suit the "movie version",
but nobody ever complains about it (because) nobody actually expects them to religiously recite the established "canon".

we've seen 3 different versions of Spiderman on screen (so far), each with their own variation of the story,
each with their own "versions" of ALL the main characters. in some cases, only the NAMES are used (and that seems to be enough).

example, in the comic-book source-material, Ned Leeds is a reporter at the Daily Bugle, who later becomes the hobgoblin;
in the MCU, Ned Leeds is a kid in Peter's school, who is used for comic relief -- the audience doesn't care. nobody bats an eye.

that's why Rey/Ren should have been Jacen and Jaina... even if the movie-versions of 'Jacen and Jaina' bore NO resemblance to the EU.
all they had to do, in order to please the fanbase, was pay Homage to the EU... like the MCU pays homage to its OWN source material.

but instead, Disney threw it all out, and never even bothered to make Kasdan READ any of it. this was a mistake.

(imagine if the MCU did the same thing with the spiderman franchise (for example) -- imagine if they changed the name of the character,
from Peter Parker, to Rylo Ben -- or Dylo Ken -- or Kylo Ren -- or some other bull-**** made-up nonsense).

Disney was given the GIFT of 30+years of EU storytelling, and all they had to do, was ACKNOWLEDGE it. FFS.
they didn't have to recite it word-for-word -- and they didn't need to "throw it out" either.

all they had to do, was pay homage.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't think it was necessary to completely "throw out" the EU; nor do I think they should have "kept it" intact..
instead, they should have used the EU in the same way Marvel uses its own comic-canon, to "inspire" their MCU.
(by hitting the broad strokes of the comic canon, without actually repeating it all note-for-note).

example: Spiderman's "MJ" (Mary Jane Watson)... is now named "Michelle" and played by Zendaya *shrug* it's all good.
the MCU takes a LOT of liberties with the source material.. they make ALL KINDS of changes to suit the "movie version",
but nobody ever complains about it (because) nobody actually expects them to religiously recite the established "canon".

we've seen 3 different versions of Spiderman on screen (so far), each with their own variation of the story,
each with their own "versions" of ALL the main characters. in some cases, only the NAMES are used (and that seems to be enough).

example, in the comic-book source-material, Ned Leeds is a reporter at the Daily Bugle, who later becomes the hobgoblin;
in the MCU, Ned Leeds is a kid in Peter's school, who is used for comic relief -- the audience doesn't care. nobody bats an eye.

that's why Rey/Ren should have been Jacen and Jaina... even if the movie-versions of 'Jacen and Jaina' bore NO resemblance to the EU.
all they had to do, in order to please the fanbase, was pay Homage to the EU... like the MCU pays homage to its OWN source material.

but instead, Disney threw it all out, and never even bothered to make Kasdan READ any of it. this was a mistake.

(imagine if the MCU did the same thing with the spiderman franchise (for example) -- imagine if they changed the name of the character,
from Peter Parker, to Rylo Ben -- or Dylo Ken -- or Kylo Ren -- or some other bull-**** made-up nonsense).

Disney was given the GIFT of 30+years of EU storytelling, and all they had to do, was ACKNOWLEDGE it. FFS.
they didn't have to recite it word-for-word -- and they didn't need to "throw it out" either.

all they had to do, was pay homage.
You forget that the ST did use elements of the EU. Leia and Han's kid becomes Darth Vader, keep the Empire going for 30 more years, resurrect the the Emperor and a pair of Jedi come together to defeat him.

It is not a coincidence. Abrams and Kasdan raided the EU. They just didn't do it as good.Why did you out Kasdan there?

As is said in previous posts, several people are in agreement to mine the EU to help build a new post-endow GFFA. And Filoni has used elements of the EU with good effect.

My preference would be to have Luke, his wife and his son/daughter as the primary characters.No fridging the wife/mother or leaving her at home. :)

I always thought Jacen Skywalker sounds better than Jacen Solo.

Jaina is a good name but no Ben Jnr. or Anakin Jnr. - new names.

BB-8 and D-0 can be in this but there should also be a new alien main character.

EDIT: Luke's missus is a Jedi. Their kid is not? Raised learning about the Force with the padawans and seeing it in action. Everyone assumes Skywalker Jnr. is Jedi?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I guess I should have said "..they never even bothered to make [the script writers] READ any of it" because the point I was trying to make isn't exclusive to Kasdan alone.

I only mentioned Kasdan because he did a lot of interviews leading up to TFA where he joked that he had never read the EU.

he's a quick example from the LA times:

you can find more examples online. he did a lot of interviews back then. this was one of his talking points.

And with the canon — everyone refers to the canon, but it has zero meaning to me. I don’t know what the canon is. I cannot get that straight.

You don’t sit down with stacks of “Star Wars” novels and study how it all fits together?

[Laughs] No, I don’t. I’ve written four “Star Wars” movies now, and I don’t know what the canon is

^^ my only point here was, if the writers were made to read the EU, then maybe they would have been able to draw from the EU.

you can't really "draw from the source material", if you're not willing to read the source material. :p LOL

(and Kasdan is sort of famous for that -- he made a lot of jokes about it -- so HE got the honorable mention)

(I should have called out "Disney's Writers" in general -- my bad).

Last edited:
Reaction score
You forget that the ST did use elements of the EU. Leia and Han's kid becomes Darth Vader, keep the Empire going for 30 more years, resurrect the the Emperor and a pair of Jedi come together to defeat him.
I never liked the resurrection of the Emperor in Dark Empire (for quite the same reasons why I don't like it today in TROS). But that was back then, when there was no PT and the idea of continuing SW in the EU was fairly new. We didn't have a lot of material back then, and it was really nicely drawn, and I found the idea that Luke would explore the Dark Side intriguing. (Still, resurrect the Emperor? Nah...)

On the other hand, the evolution of the Empire in the old post-Endor EU was not that bad. First, there were the continuing fights against the still-existing Empire in X-Wing (and others); then the Empire fell apart and we got warlords as enemy; then the whole thing shrinked to become the Imperial Remnant on and around Bastion. That was a fairly likely development - without the supreme evil of the Emperor, there would still be forces around who genuinely like a centralized law-and-order power, perhaps a little less fascist than the actual Empire but still no parlamentary democracy. Finally, the Remnant got a new actual Emperor, changed into something like a monarchy, and Jaina added the Imperial Knights to it (probably - sadly we never got to see this part of the story).

(I love the Imperial Knights btw)

The whole thing was one of the curveballs the old EU threw us - the new Empire finally got control of the galaxy again but could never return to the plain evil of the Palpatine era. (Sadly they couldn't think of a new enemy but resurrected the Sith for the umpteenth time. Oh EU, why?)

As is said in previous posts, several people are in agreement to mine the EU to help build a new post-endow GFFA. And Filoni has used elements of the EU with good effect.

My preference would be to have Luke, his wife and his son/daughter as the primary characters.No fridging the wife/mother or leaving her at home. :)
It's a pity they depend on actual actors, who have the impertinence to age - otherwise Disney could have filled the gaps between movies with RL series. I can imagine the Thrawn trilogy being a series, the Jedi Academy trilogy being a series (minus the more ridiculous elements), and selected material from X-Wing being a series - with some other tales maybe becoming miniseries or chapters in some anthology series.

Then the ST would take place at the rough time of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion. I am at odds with the concept of the Vong so I would have preferred some other storyline, but whatever. The ST would have shortly presented Mara Jade, the Solo kids, maybe a very young Ben Skywalker, and progress from there. The whole EU idea would need to be simplified for the movie-only audience, but it would have been an excellent timeframe to introduce the kids, and then let them lead into movies 10-12.

But that would have required a ton of planning, and from the experience with the actual ST, I don't trust Disney with that.

I always thought Jacen Skywalker sounds better than Jacen Solo.

Jaina is a good name but no Ben Jnr. or Anakin Jnr. - new names.
At least Ben was a Skywalker in the old EU... I never got how Han would name his kid after a guy he knew for a few hours on the Falcon and whose powers he didn't believe in, and even worse for Leia who never knew Obi-Wan at all (except for a glimpse from the distance).

BB-8 and D-0 can be in this but there should also be a new alien main character.
As far as I am concerned, D-0 can go play in a junk press. I hate that "character" so much - a pointless introduction in TROS of an uninteresting droid that served no purpose in the story at all and was just a bland, lifeless piece of merchandising that the kids probably didn't buy.

Did I mention I hate D-0?

However, it would have been an opportunity to retire C-3PO and R2-D2. BB-8 could be Jaina's droid (Rey is Jaina anyway); C-3PO could die a hero's death (aaargh this "last look at my friends" scene, and then he got his memory back anyway... Abrams, you are a hack), and R2 retires with Luke when Episode 9 ends. That opens the possibility for new droid sidekicks that would lighten up the movies from and beyond 10.

Reaction score
That's the reality of Star Wars though, they always feel the need to gravitate right back to Jedi vs Sith or Rebels vs Empire. Likely because they're left with "what could you possible do to top that or be equally as interesting?" With a Galactic Civilization that large you need a big bad to make if feel powerful/threatening enough to mean something. And movies today hinge so much on that over a more personal struggle.

If you leave out all the rest what do you make the story about? Seemingly not about a Smuggler trying to get the big payday only to be betrayed by his partner. I don't know that i would ever want to see the Vong happen, at least not 100% accurate to he books. Possibly something similar with the same vibe of being void from the Force, it would at least give the Jedi a run for their Money not being able to depend on what essentially is why they're Jedi. So basically a different avenue to explore the Jedi without pitting them against the Sith again, or "Darkside user/whatever they go by in the ST.

I also like elements of legacy, although it also felt been there done that. I've always thought it might be cool to explore the origins of the Jedi and or Sith, anything that would remove us from the era they're stuck in now.

Reaction score
t
I guess I should have said "..they never even bothered to make [the script writers] READ any of it" because the point I was trying to make isn't exclusive to Kasdan alone.

I only mentioned Kasdan because he did a lot of interviews leading up to TFA where he joked that he had never read the EU.

he's a quick example from the LA times:

you can find more examples online. he did a lot of interviews back then. this was one of his talking points.

^^ my only point here was, if the writers were made to read the EU, then maybe they would have been able to draw from the EU.

you can't really "draw from the source material", if you're not willing to read the source material. :p LOL

(and Kasdan is sort of famous for that -- he made a lot of jokes about it -- so HE got the honorable mention)

(I should have called out "Disney's Writers" in general -- my bad).
He doesn't know what the canon is? He was writing it. :p

Well somebody read it and told him and Abrams or the had whole gist in bullet points but so much of it made it into their movies.

Reaction score
I never liked the resurrection of the Emperor in Dark Empire (for quite the same reasons why I don't like it today in TROS). But that was back then, when there was no PT and the idea of continuing SW in the EU was fairly new. We didn't have a lot of material back then, and it was really nicely drawn, and I found the idea that Luke would explore the Dark Side intriguing. (Still, resurrect the Emperor? Nah...)
I'm trying to remember which I saw first. Dark Empire or Heir to the Empire.

I do remember what shop I found Dark Empire in and that is was issue 2.Han and Leia were trying to get to Byss to find Luke.

We got the UK version which had an Indiana Jones story and segments from the Emperor's Sith writings. I was not happy about Palpatine's return or Luke's corruption but I really loved the artwork and the focus on the Force.

On the other hand, the evolution of the Empire in the old post-Endor EU was not that bad. First, there were the continuing fights against the still-existing Empire in X-Wing (and others); then the Empire fell apart and we got warlords as enemy; then the whole thing shrinked to become the Imperial Remnant on and around Bastion. That was a fairly likely development - without the supreme evil of the Emperor, there would still be forces around who genuinely like a centralized law-and-order power, perhaps a little less fascist than the actual Empire but still no parlamentary democracy. Finally, the Remnant got a new actual Emperor, changed into something like a monarchy, and Jaina added the Imperial Knights to it (probably - sadly we never got to see this part of the story).

(I love the Imperial Knights btw)

The whole thing was one of the curveballs the old EU threw us - the new Empire finally got control of the galaxy again but could never return to the plain evil of the Palpatine era. (Sadly they couldn't think of a new enemy but resurrected the Sith for the umpteenth time. Oh EU, why?)
Well if the Empire is going to keep going then why not the Sith?

The Empire & Sith need to die and stay dead. It makes the story ridiculous that the just keep coming back. Would the Allies or UN have allowed the Hitler Nazis to just set up shop someplace else.

It's a pity they depend on actual actors, who have the impertinence to age - otherwise Disney could have filled the gaps between movies with RL series. I can imagine the Thrawn trilogy being a series, the Jedi Academy trilogy being a series (minus the more ridiculous elements), and selected material from X-Wing being a series - with some other tales maybe becoming miniseries or chapters in some anthology series.
To be fair, it was Lucas that wasted years and opportunities. We could have had an ST in the late 80s and another in the 90s.

Then the ST would take place at the rough time of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion. I am at odds with the concept of the Vong so I would have preferred some other storyline, but whatever. The ST would have shortly presented Mara Jade, the Solo kids, maybe a very young Ben Skywalker, and progress from there. The whole EU idea would need to be simplified for the movie-only audience, but it would have been an excellent timeframe to introduce the kids, and then let them lead into movies 10-12.

But that would have required a ton of planning, and from the experience with the actual ST, I don't trust Disney with that.
As the thread title says you've been ask the create the ST so if you have a beef with the Vong you don't need to use them ;)

And don't worry about Disney. You are the master. ;)

At least Ben was a Skywalker in the old EU... I never got how Han would name his kid after a guy he knew for a few hours on the Falcon and whose powers he didn't believe in, and even worse for Leia who never knew Obi-Wan at all (except for a glimpse from the distance).
There shouldn't be Ben Jnr. or Anakin Jnr. - new names.

As far as I am concerned, D-0 can go play in a junk press. I hate that "character" so much - a pointless introduction in TROS of an uninteresting droid that served no purpose in the story at all and was just a bland, lifeless piece of merchandising that the kids probably didn't buy.

Did I mention I hate D-0?
What do you think of D-0 ? :unsure:

However, it would have been an opportunity to retire C-3PO and R2-D2. BB-8 could be Jaina's droid (Rey is Jaina anyway); C-3PO could die a hero's death (aaargh this "last look at my friends" scene, and then he got his memory back anyway... Abrams, you are a hack), and R2 retires with Luke when Episode 9 ends. That opens the possibility for new droid sidekicks that would lighten up the movies from and beyond 10.
You can't kill the droids. or Chewbacca.

Rey is Nelith - the original twin sister. That is were she comes from. She was in original Ardnt script too wasn't she?

Did those ever get leaked?

Reaction score
That's the reality of Star Wars though, they always feel the need to gravitate right back to Jedi vs Sith or Rebels vs Empire. Likely because they're left with "what could you possible do to top that or be equally as interesting?" With a Galactic Civilization that large you need a big bad to make if feel powerful/threatening enough to mean something. And movies today hinge so much on that over a more personal struggle.

If you leave out all the rest what do you make the story about? Seemingly not about a Smuggler trying to get the big payday only to be betrayed by his partner. I don't know that i would ever want to see the Vong happen, at least not 100% accurate to he books. Possibly something similar with the same vibe of being void from the Force, it would at least give the Jedi a run for their Money not being able to depend on what essentially is why they're Jedi. So basically a different avenue to explore the Jedi without pitting them against the Sith again, or "Darkside user/whatever they go by in the ST.

I also like elements of legacy, although it also felt been there done that. I've always thought it might be cool to explore the origins of the Jedi and or Sith, anything that would remove us from the era they're stuck in now.
Star Wars doesn't always need to be about a massive galactic struggle. It can be smaller stories too.

It can't be difficult to create a villain with different powers or an army with a different goal.

Reaction score
Well if the Empire is going to keep going then why not the Sith?

The Empire & Sith need to die and stay dead. It makes the story ridiculous that the just keep coming back. Would the Allies or UN have allowed the Hitler Nazis to just set up shop someplace else.
From a storytelling point of view, Lucas introduced the (badly elaborated and explained) "Prophecy of the Chosen One"; I think these days the official stance is that that's a real thing and that Anakin fulfilled his role by throwing Palps down the shaft. Which by the way is the argument used by many against the return of Palpatine in TROS. So, there is an in-universe reason why the Sith should be gone - even if they have returned again and again in the old EU (which I was never fond of, although there were a few cool designs coming from that).

One of my gripes with the GFFA is that the very foundational concepts were never really defined. Bad worldbuilding, there. How can something like a prophecy exist when Yoda himself says "always in motion the future is"? (Or, for what it's worth, the time-traveling Force dimension in Rebels.) What were the origins of Jedi and Sith, and their true history, and the galaxy's history? (Gaps filled by the old EU and explored in games, but all of that is gone now, and truth be told it was not as concise and comprehensible as needed, IMO.) What are the actual powers of the Force and of Force wielders, and how and where does the Force apply? (The idea that the Yuuzhan Vong were somehow exempt from the force sat badly with me; it suggests that the Force is a phenomenon that exists only in the GFFA and doesn't work in other galaxies. Although Clone Wars hit the same vein when they introduced the Force Priestesses and the planet of Force origin or what it was supposed to be.)

The many facets of the Force myth ("living" Force, Kyber crystals, Lothwolves, Force ghosts, Mortis...) still existing in the new canon seem rather jumbled and tacked-on while the very core of the Force remains unexplored beyond "an energy field that binds all living things". I wish they would have straightened their mythology somewhat, but alas, so much of it is just for show...

The Sith were, as such, a very specific peculiarity of the Dark Side; depending on how much EU source material you accept as canon, a species, an order, but basically just a destructive philosophy that was handed down through the "Rule of Two". Since both Vader ("the apprentice") and Palpatine ("the master") are dead, the chain is broken, and the Sith are destroyed. In the frame of the story, that is a satisfying ending for the SW saga in ROTJ.

At the same time, it is only one specificity of the Dark Side; there can be other Sark Side users not adhering to this philosophy, just like Light Side users do not necessarily need to be Jedi. (The difference is that the story makes the Sith the Big Bad that need to be ended, but the Jedi as the Big Good need to prevail.) We could get other Darksiders to repeat the struggle of Good vs Bad. If (and that's a big if) you want to continue the franchise on this premise.

------

The Empire, on the other hand...

If you want to use the Nazis as historical pattern: They were never completely destroyed, neither as individuals nor as ideology. Scores of lower-ranking Nazis were left after the war; the leaders were tried and executed, and publically the population was "denazificated" but ultimately the more extreme plans to dismantle the Reich were not implemented (read up on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgenthau_Plan) because of basically three reasons: humanitarian, the effect on Europe as a whole, and the need for a bulwark against the rise of the Sowjets. While Germany disavowed Nazi ideology after the war, and made huge efforts to obviate fascist tendencies, there were often still the same people in leading positions (and to this day the Nazi past of some ancient politicians and celebrities is "surprisingly" revealed). I'm German, I'm sitting right at the source...

In a broader context, actual Nazi ideology, fascism, and totaliarianism are still happily alive worldwide; sometimes in disguise as something else, and sometimes with openly carried swastikas. Even in places that seemingly have no connection to the original Nazis. So...

It is fairly likely that the Empire would survive in some form (as it did in the old EU first under new leadership, then as warlord enclaves), and that Imperial ideology would be handed down especially among people who profited from it. There are in fact a lot of story ideas coming from that: the Imperial Remnant itself; the lost fleets; the warlord struggles; but also Imperial sympathizers in the New Republic; people suffering under Imperial remainders; secret Imperial societies; the hunt for war criminals; the ideological struggle...

If you see Star Wars as a fairy tale, you can ignore all of that; at the end of ROTJ, evil has been vanquished, and as general lore in fairy tales the land suddenly/once again blossoms under the rightful king the New Republic. The Empire would disappear by virtue of the myth. But a fairy tale would also end there forever, while the SW franchise has to go on by virtue of corporate decree.

I will agree that the First Order is too egregious a carbon copy of the Empire (and there are many many problems in the details, starting with its foundation and its "stealing children" policy down to the TROS fact that Palpatine has just another secret empire at hand all the time). Not to mention the takeover of the galaxy in a single day which was never shown on screen, but that's just another layer of issues of the ST.

However, I have no argument against the way the Empire and its successors were handled in the Old EU. At least there is no prophecy that would require their total elimination.

------

The "underdog" motif is strong in Star Wars; this is probably why the ST eliminated the New Republic (without ever really acknowledging it) and created the "Resistance" even before there was anything to resist. But IMO the franchise cannot continue replicating the same pattern. Neither the "big Empire is evil and we need to fight it" nor the "galaxy is divided into two powerful factions which represent good and evil" approach seems promising to me in the long run, because the story demands that the current baddie is defeated. That would destroy the setup once again and subsequently require another iteration to revive the status quo. Very unsatisfying, and repetitive by nature.

That's why I would opt for a multi-faceted, multi-faction galaxy in which the New Republic and the Imperial Remnant are just two players among many, and not necessarily represent total good and total evil. And indeed, you would not inevitably require these specific two; you could say that the re-formation of the New Republic fails and that no such party exists, as well as the Imperial Remnant may not exist because the rebels have thoroughly dismantled the Empire.

As you say in the previous post, Star Wars can be about smaller conflicts; I'd even say it needs to be about smaller conflicts so it will not need to regurgitate the cycle of galactic evil threat, victory, and return to the same setup over and over. Naturally, a story needs a conflict; a Star Wars story also tends to the Force and the Light and Dark Side (and its individual representatives); and it has a disposition towards fairy tale simplification and satisfaction. So, not all stories can be Star Wars stories. But we need some diversification beyond the galactic scale one-upmanship that just replicates a setup (just bigger and with more special effects) to keep the franchise alive.

Reaction score
From a storytelling point of view, Lucas introduced the (badly elaborated and explained) "Prophecy of the Chosen One"; I think these days the official stance is that that's a real thing and that Anakin fulfilled his role by throwing Palps down the shaft. Which by the way is the argument used by many against the return of Palpatine in TROS. So, there is an in-universe reason why the Sith should be gone - even if they have returned again and again in the old EU (which I was never fond of, although there were a few cool designs coming from that).
You misunderstand me. I was not saying the Sith should return. I'm very much against that because Anakin ended them.

However, you made (what I thought anyway) were positive comments about the return of the Empire but did not welcome a Sith return. I was just saying it didn't make sense to to like one idea but be against the other.

Also there was a lot not explained in the OT too. About the Jedi, the Force, etc.

One of my gripes with the GFFA is that the very foundational concepts were never really defined. Bad worldbuilding, there. How can something like a prophecy exist when Yoda himself says "always in motion the future is"? (Or, for what it's worth, the time-traveling Force dimension in Rebels.) What were the origins of Jedi and Sith, and their true history, and the galaxy's history? (Gaps filled by the old EU and explored in games, but all of that is gone now, and truth be told it was not as concise and comprehensible as needed, IMO.) What are the actual powers of the Force and of Force wielders, and how and where does the Force apply? (The idea that the Yuuzhan Vong were somehow exempt from the force sat badly with me; it suggests that the Force is a phenomenon that exists only in the GFFA and doesn't work in other galaxies. Although Clone Wars hit the same vein when they introduced the Force Priestesses and the planet of Force origin or what it was supposed to be.)

The many facets of the Force myth ("living" Force, Kyber crystals, Lothwolves, Force ghosts, Mortis...) still existing in the new canon seem rather jumbled and tacked-on while the very core of the Force remains unexplored beyond "an energy field that binds all living things". I wish they would have straightened their mythology somewhat, but alas, so much of it is just for show...
I don't want too much explained and I don't mind inconsistencies. Every real religion and belief system have them.

I do want to learn more things and I think so far Dave Filoni is the only man to that but I think there is currently too much going art Lucasfilm and for him personally. I just don't get how Lucas did not make ensure that his own Padawan was put in a position to oversee the story of the Sequels. Kennedy clearly the respect the fans have for him. I hope I'm wrong though as I really want the Kenobi series to delve in the mystic. I'd be happy to see Filoni as a story consultant on hat or just to hear that the writers spoke to him and Lucas.

The Sith were, as such, a very specific peculiarity of the Dark Side; depending on how much EU source material you accept as canon, a species, an order, but basically just a destructive philosophy that was handed down through the "Rule of Two". Since both Vader ("the apprentice") and Palpatine ("the master") are dead, the chain is broken, and the Sith are destroyed. In the frame of the story, that is a satisfying ending for the SW saga in ROTJ.

At the same time, it is only one specificity of the Dark Side; there can be other Sark Side users not adhering to this philosophy, just like Light Side users do not necessarily need to be Jedi. (The difference is that the story makes the Sith the Big Bad that need to be ended, but the Jedi as the Big Good need to prevail.) We could get other Darksiders to repeat the struggle of Good vs Bad. If (and that's a big if) you want to continue the franchise on this premise.

------
Exactly. The Sith and the Jedi are just two factions of Force Wielders.

Mother Talzin was a witch who used the Force in completely different ways. Ahoska leaves the Jedi Order so is no longer a Jedi.

Even early on in the EU they made an effort to be new - the C'Boath clone was Dark Jedi, not a Sith. Luke had a student go bad in the Jedi Academy Trilogy. The Ssi-Ruk used Force Wielders as a way to capture souls. The Vong being exempt was at least different.

If the new threat was an alien army for the far side of the galaxy their Force Wielder would be completely different.

The Empire, on the other hand...

If you want to use the Nazis as historical pattern: They were never completely destroyed, neither as individuals nor as ideology. Scores of lower-ranking Nazis were left after the war; the leaders were tried and executed, and publically the population was "denazificated" but ultimately the more extreme plans to dismantle the Reich were not implemented (read up on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgenthau_Plan) because of basically three reasons: humanitarian, the effect on Europe as a whole, and the need for a bulwark against the rise of the Sowjets. While Germany disavowed Nazi ideology after the war, and made huge efforts to obviate fascist tendencies, there were often still the same people in leading positions (and to this day the Nazi past of some ancient politicians and celebrities is "surprisingly" revealed). I'm German, I'm sitting right at the source...

In a broader context, actual Nazi ideology, fascism, and totaliarianism are still happily alive worldwide; sometimes in disguise as something else, and sometimes with openly carried swastikas. Even in places that seemingly have no connection to the original Nazis. So...

It is fairly likely that the Empire would survive in some form (as it did in the old EU first under new leadership, then as warlord enclaves), and that Imperial ideology would be handed down especially among people who profited from it. There are in fact a lot of story ideas coming from that: the Imperial Remnant itself; the lost fleets; the warlord struggles; but also Imperial sympathizers in the New Republic; people suffering under Imperial remainders; secret Imperial societies; the hunt for war criminals; the ideological struggle...
Yes, I know there is more to the Second World War and the aftermath but what I mean is that the Allies did not leave the structure and the leadership standing. The heroes cannot prosecute or imprision every bureaucrat and stormtrooper and thee come a point at which there has to be forgiveness and moving on - which was a part of The Truce at Bakura but for the sake of originality there needs to be new villains.

And there is a treasure trove of stories in those few paragraphs that I never considered before.

The trials of the Imperial leadership, stormtroopers return home, secret agents and law enforcement hunting war criminals or investigating Imperial sympathisers and societies. And I do like the warlord thing - Max Von Sydow or Jeremy Irons would be a great last Warlord years after the fall. Basically a pirate king and his stormtroopers are like Viking raiders without the honour, etc.

For the sake originality though, the Empire as it was should never be again.

If you see Star Wars as a fairy tale, you can ignore all of that; at the end of ROTJ, evil has been vanquished, and as general lore in fairy tales the land suddenly/once again blossoms under the rightful king the New Republic. The Empire would disappear by virtue of the myth. But a fairy tale would also end there forever, while the SW franchise has to go on by virtue of corporate decree.
I'd be one with the idea of the Empire just being gone in Sequel movies for the sake of bringing in new villains.

TheI will agree that the First Order is too egregious a carbon copy of the Empire (and there are many many problems in the details, starting with its foundation and its "stealing children" policy down to the TROS fact that Palpatine has just another secret empire at hand all the time). Not to mention the takeover of the galaxy in a single day which was never shown on screen, but that's just another layer of issues of the ST.

However, I have no argument against the way the Empire and its successors were handled in the Old EU. At least there is no prophecy that would require their total elimination.

------
If they had at least dressed the First Order different it would have been something.

The EU writers at least used their imagination and evolved it.

The "underdog" motif is strong in Star Wars; this is probably why the ST eliminated the New Republic (without ever really acknowledging it) and created the "Resistance" even before there was anything to resist. But IMO the franchise cannot continue replicating the same pattern. Neither the "big Empire is evil and we need to fight it" nor the "galaxy is divided into two powerful factions which represent good and evil" approach seems promising to me in the long run, because the story demands that the current baddie is defeated. That would destroy the setup once again and subsequently require another iteration to revive the status quo. Very unsatisfying, and repetitive by nature.

That's why I would opt for a multi-faceted, multi-faction galaxy in which the New Republic and the Imperial Remnant are just two players among many, and not necessarily represent total good and total evil. And indeed, you would not inevitably require these specific two; you could say that the re-formation of the New Republic fails and that no such party exists, as well as the Imperial Remnant may not exist because the rebels have thoroughly dismantled the Empire.

As you say in the previous post, Star Wars can be about smaller conflicts; I'd even say it needs to be about smaller conflicts so it will not need to regurgitate the cycle of galactic evil threat, victory, and return to the same setup over and over. Naturally, a story needs a conflict; a Star Wars story also tends to the Force and the Light and Dark Side (and its individual representatives); and it has a disposition towards fairy tale simplification and satisfaction. So, not all stories can be Star Wars stories. But we need some diversification beyond the galactic scale one-upmanship that just replicates a setup (just bigger and with more special effects) to keep the franchise alive.
On that final point first - the ST didn't even go bigger with more effects. It never once felt epic. That battle on the hull of the Star Destroyer is a fantastic idea but it just felt flat and was rushed.

Star Wars can't always be about the same themes. This time the Rebels/New Republic have control but somehow you make it so there is a danger. The fleet is small and scattered. Or they have a powerful army but the alien invaders have more advanced technology. Or you put the drama in that multi-faction system - these guys were once all the heroes and fought together but now are on opposing sides. And there is one idea Lucas mentioned for his Sequels (though that was all did, no details) you have the heroes question who the good guys are.

There is just so much potential for the new EU and it allows the Sequels to grow beyond Empire vs Rebels.Jedi vs. Sith.
/Rey/whoever and talking about the Force.

I was reading about the Ardnt drafts to see if any had leaked and was reminded of this (I must have blocked it to ease the pain)

“It just felt like every time Luke came in and entered the movie, he just took it over,” Arndt said. “Suddenly you didn’t care about your main character anymore because, ‘Oh f–k, Luke Skywalker’s here. I want to see what he’s going to do.’”

YES. YES. YES - that is what I wanted...

Last edited:
Reaction score
No the 30+ years since RotJ would just be for fans or anyone interested in further reading.

You use the crawl and dialogue to explain anything necessary to the story and characters. For example, we don't need to know every adventure Luke had with his son/daughter but there can be a reference, like "that business on Cato Nemondia doesn't count", or "you and I remain Budapest a lot differently", etc.
If you look at the crawls from the different movies you can really see how effective that sort of intro can be. It's very effective with the OT because we get Civil War, Rebels, Galactic Empire, Death Star, Princess, Stolen Plans, and restore freedom... armored space station that can blow up entire planets!!! << That gives you everything you need and gets you primed for what is to come. Empire and Jedi do very much the same building on what happened in the previous movie regardless of time.

The prequels have Galactic Republic, taxation, blockade, Trade Federation, debates, Supreme Chancellor, ... and then Jedi Knights!!! <<< while this did give the information, it started with boring and then OOOh Jedi. Not as effective. The rest of the PT did a little better with the crawls.

The ST. Luke Skywalker has vanished, First Order = Empire, Republic/Resistance with Leia, Find Luke, Daring Pilot, old ally has a clue. <<< VERY SMALL focus and no background. Ep VIII - First Order Reigns, Republic decimated, Resistance vs tyranny, Luke will spark hope, Rebels desperate escape <<< hmmmmm. Ep IX - Emperor Palpatine, Secret agents gathering intelligence, Rey trains, Kylo Ren rages... <<<< nothing.

I was not suggesting story or locations are more important than characters.
You mentioned not have a story but focusing on developing the characters and I was asking can that be done without a story first.
Here's a shot at an opening crawl that changes the story a bit but makes more sense:

Episode VII The Force Awakens
For nearly 30 years peace and justice spread throughout the galaxy. **<<sets up that things have been good and ROTJ meant something>>

Newly resigned Chief of State Leia Organa Solo has begun a new life as a government liaison to the resurrected Jedi Order, but her supporters continue to push for her to take a stronger role due to growing unrest in many systems that feel the Republic doesn't represent them. **<<some background on Leia and the Jedi. Also shades of our current economic and social climate without being too direct>>

Her twins train at the Jedi Academy while Master Luke Skywalker is headed on a mission to search out a looming threat in the far reaches of the galaxy... **<<Doesn't have to be Jacen and Jaina, but probably should be. Sets up a story about Luke searching for something>>

Episode VIII The Last Jedi
With the Jedi Academy decimated, the Republic slow to respond, and Luke Skywalker nowhere to be found, the One Sith have taken many worlds and others have joined them or refused to fight out of fear of the terrible Xenovirus they bring with them. **<<Takes us in a new direction instead of Empire vs Rebellion. One Sith could take some points for various sources. Xenovirus is a thing in Old Republic and of course a virus is a decent threat don't you think?>>

General Han Solo and Jedi Leia Organa Solo have been forced to lead a fight against their own son and attempt to rally what military support they have left along with old adversaries against this new threat. **<<Leia is established as having some Jedi power in the prev. movie. Her son is aiding the other side as established in the prev. movie. Imperial Remnant as an ally would be fun>>

It is a time for new Heroes to rise to the challenge, or be plunged into darkness... **<<The crawls are mentioning leaders but most of the time will be spent on the younger characters, of which 'Jacen and Jaina' would be involved but not dominate>>

Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
Skywalker has returned, but it may be too late. He brings with him the hope of the Galaxy. His teachings, and the light of all the Jedi that have come before are what stands between a terrible fate and a glorious future. **<<Give Luke his due. Show him handing off that power to the next generation>>

The virus can be stopped and the One Sith have a weakness, but the plan to defeat this enemy will require skills beyond a Jedi or a Soldier. **<<What must be done? Who will be the one to solve this conflict?>>

Something more than power or bravery will determine the path of the Galaxy for generations. What has come before will guide what is now to what could be... <<A riddle? no, a prophecy>>

Reaction score
I was reading about the Ardnt drafts to see if any had leaked and was reminded of this (I must have blocked it to ease the pain)

“It just felt like every time Luke came in and entered the movie, he just took it over,” Arndt said. “Suddenly you didn’t care about your main character anymore because, ‘Oh f–k, Luke Skywalker’s here. I want to see what he’s going to do.’”

YES. YES. YES - that is what I wanted...
This is where things went off the rails. Only in Star Wars is an extremely popular character a 'problem'.

In my story above (won't hurt my feelings what anyone thinks of it), You put the mains in the leadership roles and let the others do the work. Give each something to do that directs the others... sort of like the Gods in Clash of the Titans except obviously not quite so godlike.

Reaction score
This is where things went off the rails. Only in Star Wars is an extremely popular character a 'problem'.

In my story above (won't hurt my feelings what anyone thinks of it), You put the mains in the leadership roles and let the others do the work. Give each something to do that directs the others... sort of like the Gods in Clash of the Titans except obviously not quite so godlike.
I liked your ideas. A lot good stuff that would enhanced the world building too.

Yes - how is Luke being awesome a difficulty? :unsure:

Leadership/mentor roles are good but been done.

I was waiting decades to Mark Hamill going about Jedi business. He still has a lot of energy and love for the role. Luke would be front and centre of the entire trilogy along with his son/daughter and in a ANH Old Ben way. Luke is the lead with kid. Show the kid as a capable smart adventurer first and then in a team up with the old man. Show that the old gang has moved on from saving the galaxy - only see each other every other Life Day.

Make Luke's reunion with Lando a humorous one and with Leia and Han a nice family get together of the characters not based on action or war. Luke and the kid continue with the adventure the old gang can come to his rescue in the final act.

I love that scene "reach out/branch" scene in TLJ. Classic warrior teacher stuff - I wanted trilogy of Luke doing that. And Skywalker Jnr. doing something impressive in the swashbuckler stunt department with Luke being unimpressed as he has seen and done it all before. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I liked your ideas. A lot good stuff that would enhanced the world building too.

Yes - how is Luke being awesome a difficulty? :unsure:

Leadership/mentor roles are good but been done.

I was waiting decades to Mark Hamill going about Jedi business. He still has a lot of energy and love for the role. Luke would be front and centre of the entire trilogy along with his son/daughter and in a ANH Old Ben way. Luke is the lead with kid. Show the kid as a capable smart adventurer first and then in a team up with the old man. Show that the old gang has moved on from saving the galaxy - only see each other every other Life Day.

Make Luke's reunion with Lando a humorous one and with Leia and Han a nice family get together of the characters not based on action or war. Luke and the kid continue with the adventure the old gang can come to his rescue in the final act.

I love that scene "reach out/branch" scene in TLJ. Classic warrior teacher stuff - I wanted trilogy of Luke doing that. And Skywalker Jnr. doing something impressive in the swashbuckler stunt department with Luke being unimpressed as he has seen and done it all before. :)
I think Han and Leia would be involved in a Leia TFA and Lando TROS sort of way with the first 2 movies for me. I LOVE Harrison Ford, but he wanted to be killed off and if that was his only way to be involved then I'd negotiate a dumptruck of money for a minor role and a Han Solo retirement. In movie number 3 I'd only really have Han at the end like in ANH coming in to do something heroic quickly. Leia would have continued to be a leader but fade into the background. Perhaps she would have the same ending as she had in TROS?

Hamill was the one that really should have been front and center. Movie one we see him and the whole gang together but Luke going on his mission and Han being more about retirement while Leia gets slightly more involved with the Jedi whose training she never quite finished. We cut to Luke finding an ancient Jedi Temple and an ancient Sith Temple where he ends up disappearing. In Movie 2 we don't see Luke until the end where he shows back up with some new friends and a renewed vision of the force and perhaps a way to defeat the Sith. Then Movie 3 is him directing what is happening to win the conflict. He wouldn't need to do heavy lifting but his force projection could come into play as well as the force transfer of objects like the lightsaber between Rey and Ben.

Reaction score
Well the opening scroll in the ST did seem more like it was for the tweet era crowd anyways. 2-5 soundbites of what's on you mind today, but nothing really meaningful.