Ian McDiarmid confirms Emperor is dead

Cobalt60

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
he was talking about conversations he had over the years with GL who said definitively "he is dead".
he was NOT talking about the Eu fanfic "Sequel Trilogy" which could STILL do anything it wants with this character. LOL
simply put: he didn't answer the question -- he deflected the question by talking about GL's past answer instead.

(recall: GL doesn't make SW movies anymore -- JJ threw out GL's story treatment and did his own thing -- so GL's answer to this question is a red herring).
(this would be like asking Chris Pine to reveal JJ's latest Star Trek plot, and instead he rambles on about "what Roddenberry said" 40 years ago -- when Roddenberry doesn't make ST movies anymore, this reveals nothing about JJ's reboot. LOL)

good game! dude's a master at this media stuff. :p LOL

that's the fun of these "celebration" conventions. it's basically a media event to talk about the future of SW but most of the players are NOT allowed to talk about the future of SW :p LOL
so it's like a ballet dance, or a choreographed fencing duel for fun, between the media hosts and the SW guests -- with both side acting very COY, with their tongues in their cheeks, dancing around each other like shy teenagers while the rest of us gush over their interaction.

end of day: Ian is NOT going to reveal if palpatine is dead or alive!! LOL -- he is far too crafty in his answers (he is far too GOOD at this game) -- he baited this writer into crafting this headline but he did NOT violate his NDA while doing so :p LOL
(we all know: JJ doesn't have to follow GLs vision , so telling us what GL said 40 years ago is a great way to deflect the question :p LOL).

he's just having FUN with us. (like a kitten with a ball of string LOL). don't take it seriously.

HothHan

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
That's not what he said. If you listened to or watched the live show it's obvious what he meant

That clickbait article has been floating around for 2 days now.

Reaction score
Regardless if this article is spin or not, like a lot of media, I sincerely find it baffling to believe that anyone really thinks he literally survived the second Death Star in his old corporeal body. That's just absurd and frankly, a terrible idea. It's got to be some sort of spirit/ghost or clone.

CellBlock1138

High Admiral
Reaction score
Maybe that shaft led directly to his private escape vehicle? And the blue whoosh is actually the engines starting up.

Palpatine escapes unharmed and takes a long break from everything in the remains of the Death Star, only to be disturbed by Rey, etc in Episode IX.

It makes perfect sense.

SpectreOne

Commodore
Reaction score
Palpatine escapes unharmed and takes a long break from everything in the remains of the Death Star, only to be disturbed by Rey, etc in Episode IX.
She will bring him his lightsaber and he will just throw it over his shoulder. At that point Rey completely loses it and rants into the camera for two hours. The End.

ZevSenesca

Lieutenant Commander
Reaction score
Last we saw Palpatine, he went down the reactor core and landed in the Falcon through that top hatch Lando used to save Luke in Empire (the "pressure steady" guy accidentally opened it as they entered the super structure). The explosion we see come up through the shaft is from the Falcon firing on the reactor which was happening simultaneously. Palpatine stowed away in the compartments we saw in the original Star Wars until the Falcon landed on Endor and then Palpatine escaped the forest moon using the shuttle Luke had piloted to escape the Death Star Explosion, both of which were on the Imperial landing pad we saw earlier in the film. That's how he survived.

Last edited:

WanJarJar

Midshipman
Reaction score
He could be dead and just show up as a dark side spirit of sorts. Possibly a ghost.

Reaction score
I just...I don't know, guys. I think having palpatine literally survive really destroys the original trilogy in a lot of ways. It completely tarnishes Vader's redemption arch. I'm really hoping for a sort of ghost/spirit or clone. Heck, technically I suppose there could even be a fourth angle, that people just a sort of holo-recording.

HothHan

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
I can't realistically see him having a large role as a living, breathing character (although I would be ok with it)

Some sort of ghost maybe. I don't think he will just be an old holo-recording. Maybe a Sith holocron.

Trooper31

Emperor
Reaction score
I just...I don't know, guys. I think having palpatine literally survive really destroys the original trilogy in a lot of ways. It completely tarnishes Vader's redemption arch. I'm really hoping for a sort of ghost/spirit or clone. Heck, technically I suppose there could even be a fourth angle, that people just a sort of holo-recording.
I agree. Having him survive that fall would be a a mean swipe at the OT.
I

Trooper31

Emperor
Reaction score
It would be nice if they would link him to Snoke somehow. Either Snoke was a follower or he was using Snoke's body as a vessel. I'd be ok with his spirit surviving in the force, but I don' like the idea of the Palpy we saw in ROTJ surviving the DS II shaft and explosion when the DS was blown up.

HothHan

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score

bobafett14

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
I'd rather they realize Snoke was a dead end character which they killed off to save everything. Let him lie. Please.

As much as I'm hoping for some other things, I'm thinking they go to the Death Star remains in search of some "key" that brings everything together and wraps everything up. They find some old "Emperors chamber" which has him on some sort of database/hologram (whatever) that explains everything and gives closure.

...and then of course a 30 second post credit scene that then leaves everything open ended and fans wanting more for the next 10 years.

Real_Scooby

Sith Lord
Reaction score
Dont know why, but I always had the impression that Snoke was just some kind of a puppet species controlled by the still living Emperor. Maybe even some totaly gone wrong clone of him

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think I was the first to mention the idea and I've posted it two or three times, but I'm glad to see people agree with the spirit/ghost possessing Snoke idea. It just seems the most logical to me because not only can it retroactively explain away a lot of negatives in The Last Jedi, but it can even explain who Snoke was. Now why does that matter? A lot of people say that Snoke not being explain is irrelevant, Palpatine wasn't explained in Jedi, but I entirely disagree. Palpatine didn't need explained in Jedi because this was our first go-to trilogy, it was a new field to harvest. In that case, his explanation of becoming Emperor could be just that...well...he just was the Emperor. This was a brand new continuity you were creating from scratch. But with a sequel trilogy, you're now working with an established universe and continuity. Six films worth! When last we left, the Empire had fallen out of power. The Emperor was dead. Vader was dead. The second Death Star was destroyed. The Imperial fleet in disarray. Because of that, it's therefore important to the plot to explain how the First Order came about and who Snoke is, why he's so powerful, how he re-formed the remnant of the Empire, etc. It can't just be, it needs explained to make sense within continuity. How could they get back into power?! It doesn't make sense unless it's explained because it enters into the realm of "Well...where was he then?" in the originals. It creates plot-holes in the originals that were never originally there until the sequels.

But if Snoke was a vessel for Palpatine, it makes a lot of sense. Things add up then. There are two options I would go with to explain Snoke pre-possession:

1. A Sith acolyte from the outer-rim.
2. A botched clone.

If option one, you could essentially have him be a follower, practitioner of the dark side, possible like the Imperial dignitaries. Perhaps the spirit of Palpatine sensed him and he saught it out or perhaps Palpatine was conjured there in some sort of ritual. It would make sense why Palpatine would want essentially an unknown body, he'd want to be discrete. He wouldn't want people to know he was technically still "alive," per se. Because of said possession, this also could explain his appearance. It's been established in lore that the dark side essentially eats away at your physical appearance. Now I also know that some have claimed that Sith cannot become spirits. I have two counter-arguments to that: Lore is changed and altered and retconned constant in Star Wars firstly, but secondly it has been established in The Clone Wars that, in a manner of speaking, Sith can live past death. It's just a little more restrictive than Jedi, usually tied to an artifact, very akin to a Horcrux in Harry Potter. That artifact very clearly would be in the second Death Stars throne room, hence why they're going there.

If option two, I would show an entire secret chamber of horrors in the Death Star II very akin to the scene of Ripley clones in Alien Resurrection. Tons of botched clone experiments, a contingency plan Palpatine had if he should ever be killed. This would be top secret for obvious reasons, he wouldn't want it known should his apprentice betray him. He wouldn't want those to know he could return. Snoke was one of these clones and designed to be a vessel for his spirit, Palpatine having planed a spiritual return via a Sith artifact housed in his throne room. Upon the death of his vessel, his incorporeal essence was sense back and trapped inside that throne room until he could potentially find another potent body.

But regardless of which option, the point remains. This would explain how Snoke was able to rebuild the Imperial remnant into the First Order, he's already build the Empire before as Palpatine. This would explain how Snoke is as if not more powerful than Palpatine, he essentially is Palpatine. This could explain how Snoke didn't sense the lightsaber (right next to him) turning, explain it as it takes massive amounts of concentration for Palpatine to control a vessel. Why would a basic nobody with no direct tie to the Skywalkers be so obsessed with finding and killing Luke? True Luke would be deemed a threat to any dark side user, but for Snoke it seems personal. Why? Well it sure would be a personal vendetta to Palpatine! This would explain why he sought out Ben Solo, Skywalker blood, just as he did Anakin Skywalker. The corruption of Ben Solo could mend his mistake with Darth Vader. This could explain how he got into the minds of Kylo and Rey, he's a spirit. This could explain why Kylo is so conflicted, he's literally not always in control of his actions and emotions. Palpatine can occasionally enter into his body as well. This could be why Ben destroyed the new Jedi temple, after all...Palpatine destroyed the first. This could explain the reason why Luke considered murdering young Kylo in his sleep as, in the full picture, Luke didn't just see dark in Kylo. He literally saw it enter him. Palpatine! That would terrify him! That would make him become reclusive, feeling that essentially the events of the entire original trilogy were useless.

It...just...adds...up...

Yes it's very much like Voldemort in Harry Potter, but even that makes sense. For as good a director as J.J. Abrams is, let's be honest here, he's never been exactly one to create original ideas.

Last edited:

Trooper31

Emperor
Reaction score
She will bring him his lightsaber and he will just throw it over his shoulder. At that point Rey completely loses it and rants into the camera for two hours. The End.
Oddly enough, I might actually be willing to pay to see that.
O

Trooper31

Emperor
Reaction score
But if Snoke was a vessel for Palpatine, it makes a lot of sense. Things add up then. There are two options I would go with to explain Snoke pre-possession:

1. A Sith acolyte from the outer-rim.
2. A botched clone.
Hmmm, I could see something like that.

I think my favorite Palpatine idea is the interactive Sith Holocron, though.

ThallJoben

Grand Admiral
Reaction score
Even though IM says the Emperor is actually dead, that doesn't mean much. He has nothing to do with the making of the films; he was just an actor in the OT & the PT. Even if Lucas himself says that the Emperor is actually dead, that's meaningless these days since he doesn't own the franchise any more. Disney can do whatever they want with these characters.

And, the Emperor did come back in the early '90's DHC comic book series, Dark Empire I & II (he survived through a series of young clones). Though that wasn't considered "canon", it showed that the character could be weaved back into the storyline.

GNT

Reaction score
They reused his laugh from stock footage but it would be a great if they could rework him into the new film. Snoke was a very underused villain and if the Emperor did return he could finally get some revenge.

DarkManX

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
I haven't read the Phasma novel yet but Snoke isn't brought up in ANY of the canon expanded universe that I've read. That could mean he plays a huge role in the story and don't want to give anything away. The Emperor's been behind just about everything and is about 5 steps ahead of everyone.

EDIT

I maintain that the emperor being throwaway,so to speak, has merit. In Empire he was a woman with space monkey eyes before becoming an old man in Jedi. That's not exactly the sign of a character that was intended to be the main villain of 9 movies.

Last edited:

HothHan

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
Speaking of Phasma and The Emperor her armor was forged out of the hull of a Naboo yacht once owned a Chancellor Palpatine.

HothHan

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
Here are some tidbits from TLJ Visual Dictionary about Snoke and his past etc.

My personal opinion is that this all means nothing as TLJ didn't pay any attention to what was set up in TFA.

keknivek

Grand Moff
Reaction score
Via TFA Visual Dictionary

And Rey's staff is made from the drive shaft of the '55 Chevy Han Solo drove under the pseudonym Bob Falfa in the Earth movie American Grafitti.

That little tidbit above may be the oddest inclusion in the Star Wars universe, and that's saying something. What an odd thing that someone decided to put in there...

keknivek

Grand Moff
Reaction score
IF I thought that there was a plan for this ST, I might look back on what was written in comics, books, reference materials, or said in interviews... but there really was NO PLAN. This isn't Thanos and Infinity Stones being seeded into multiple movies. This could be anything from Snoke is Palpatine to Snoke is Anakin's dad to Snoke was a gamma blasted hamster. Luke might have force projected himself on to Ach-To and then on to Crait. Lando could be Palpatine... they both laugh in the trailer???

Palpatine might have been playing the REALLY long game and not only had a shuttle waiting to catch him on DSII, but had seen the future and knew to catch Han Solo on Starkiller Base and teleported Luke, then replaced Leia in space when we weren't looking and will use all of the heroes with evil goatees to attack all the new Disney heroes in a WWE Battle Royal scenario.

The point is, we don't know. JJ will likely copy something though, so let's hope it's something good. I'd be down for Dark Empire.

HothHan

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
IF I thought that there was a plan for this ST, I might look back on what was written in comics, books, reference materials, or said in interviews... but there really was NO PLAN. This isn't Thanos and Infinity Stones being seeded into multiple movies. This could be anything from Snoke is Palpatine to Snoke is Anakin's dad to Snoke was a gamma blasted hamster. Luke might have force projected himself on to Ach-To and then on to Crait. Lando could be Palpatine... they both laugh in the trailer???

Palpatine might have been playing the REALLY long game and not only had a shuttle waiting to catch him on DSII, but had seen the future and knew to catch Han Solo on Starkiller Base and teleported Luke, then replaced Leia in space when we weren't looking and will use all of the heroes with evil goatees to attack all the new Disney heroes in a WWE Battle Royal scenario.

The point is, we don't know. JJ will likely copy something though, so let's hope it's something good. I'd be down for Dark Empire.
Copy something maybe there has not been any precedent set yet for "copying" from the old trash EU. The last thing it will be is Dark Empire.

keknivek

Grand Moff
Reaction score
Copy something maybe there has not been any precedent set yet for "copying" from the old trash EU. The last thing it will be is Dark Empire.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Dark_Empire

You may want to look at Dark Empire. We are already in it to a degree. Several elements from this are already present and others, like Palpatine are on the horizon. Obviously others are not since Luke is not likely what I would call 'alive'.

Last edited:

Cobalt60

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
the visual dictionary actually says "chromium"...? :wtf:

you'd think thay'd call it "dura-plating" or "magna-shine" or something a little less 'earth-like'.

its like they're not even trying :(

CellBlock1138

High Admiral
Reaction score
That's a real life element. Here on Earth, right now.

Isn't Phasma's armour blaster proof? :hmm:

Cobalt60

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
yeah that's what I mean. I would prefer SW to be free of as many "real life elements" as possible. :p LOL

darthsatan

Sith Lord
Reaction score
So you want the fundamental building blocks of that universe to be different? Midichlorians not enough for you? Get real.

Cobalt60

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
well I'm sure "hydrogen" exists in the SW universe but I've never heard anyone actually mention the word. this is "Fantasy" not "star trek". :p LOL