I got a Store Display from TRU

Reaction score
A friend of a friend who works at Toys R Us got a SW display that they had removed from the shelves. He got it for free and asked my friend if someone wanted it. I told my friend that I was interested and asked how much money was he selling it for, but his friend gave it to me for free! I insisted on giving him something in return and gave him an SDCC exclusive shadow biker scout he was missing in his collection. Here's a picture:

The only problem is all the pieces are glued and you can't really play with it or break it apart. I'm debating wether to keep it or sell it so I can buy some systems that I can actually put together.

Reaction score
That is awesome, and definately a rare item to have. Unless you sell it to me, I suggest that you keep it. You're not likely to ever get a piece like that again.
Congrats.
-theropod

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Awesome, I'm so jealous.

If you are selling I'm interested.

Jeremy

Reaction score
I'd keep it for display purposes. It looks awesome. Put it on a shelf somewhere maybe. Either way, I guess you have those sets now. Maybe one day they'll make something to dissolve that glue. What kind is it anyway? Hot glue? Super?

Reaction score
Yeah, I think I'm going to keep it (if I ever sell it, I'll let you know Jeremy).
I took it to a local collectibles show and a dealer offered me some items from his booth in trade. But he didn't have anything I really wanted.
I don't know what kind of glue was used, but it's super hard to break it apart. I'm afraid I'll break a brick if I pull too hard. It looks like silicone, but much harder. If there's some kind of liquid to dissolve it without damaging the plastic, please let me know. I'll leave it as is for now.

Reaction score
Am I the only one that's less than fond of this? I wouldn't even pay the combined retail of the items for that display. The best part of Legos is the fun of building them and then displaying them, knowing that you built them with your own to hands. However, if that's your thing, than more power to you, and enjoy it.

Reaction score
Well, there's people who like to build them and people who like to collect them. I like both things. This display fills only one of those needs. I will probably buy the actual boxed systems so I can put them together.

Reaction score
Nice! A few years back I got the ARC/Droid fighter display as a 'gift' from my former store manager during my TRU days. I was surprised for example that the LEGO rep didn't claim it when it was time to change out the display. Unfortunately, the last few displays at the store I worked got really beat up by the customers and got thrown away due to the condition. Consider yourself lucky to have an intact piece.

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Galen_Marek said:
I wouldn't even pay the combined retail of the items for that display.
I'm of the same opinion. A $300 LEGO set is worth it because you build it yourself and can continue having fun with it for years. A glued-up version of the same set is only suitable for display.

CommTech said:
I don't know what kind of glue was used, but it's super hard to break it apart.
It's like a modelling glue but stronger. I don't know exactly what kind of glue it is but it must be a special formula because it doesn't melt the plastic like a modelling cement would.

I remember a thread discussing a Millennium Falcon display. The owner was adamant that they were going to pick the glue of the bricks so their kids could build the set. In the end they got a short way in to the disassembly before they realised they'd ruined the bricks they had picked the glue off, and totally ruined it as a display.

CommTech said:
Yeah, I think I'm going to keep it (if I ever sell it, I'll let you know Jeremy).
Thanks

Jeremy

Reaction score
Great set, I just got one myself. I actually do collect store displays and have a lot of these similar lego displays. There is basicly a new one each year. The old one comes out of the case and the new one slips in. Its usually one of those yellow brick looking cases. There are also backdrops and sidedrops that go with them, although they are fairly boring. They are a hassel to ship unless the seller has the original shipping carton that they came in from Lego. The one shown is the 2007 display and they usually appear this time every year as the new displays start t replace the old ones. When I can Ill take some pics and post them. Luv em.

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Vaccaros - where do you get your displays from? I check always eBay but they are rare and expensive.

Jeremy

Reaction score
Do the things that are supposed to move move? Like figure articulation or opening hatches?

Reaction score
Jeremy said:
Vaccaros - where do you get your displays from? I check always eBay but they are rare and expensive.

Jeremy
I get them all from Ebay...sadly. They do come up every so often, and prices have ranged from $100-$300 plus shipping which costs me on average about $150 to Canada from the US. My purchase prices have mostly been in the low-mid range. The real hassle is the packing. Some do have the moveable operations unglued and still working.

Reaction score
They use poles for the fighters, but they're not that sturdy. Mine broke on my ARC/Droid fighter display. The poles, at least on mine, glued on which was kinda of bummer.