I dont understand the hate

Reaction score
First off, I Love Star Wars, I have ever sense I could remember. I grew up with the Original Trilogy in the 90's and then grew up with the Prequel trilogy when I was 8. For me, I would always like the Prequel trilogy more because of its the era I was always interested in sense Obi Wan mentioned the Clone Wars in "A New Hope", wanted to know how the jedi all died and the empire came to be. Plus I grew up with this like my dad grew up with the Original trilogy. Seeing it in theaters, waiting in the lines , going to the toy release for each movie. It was fun times, something I would never forget. Yes, the prequel trilogy is not perfect, but so is the Original. I love everything about the Star Wars Saga, but what I hate to see and don't understand why is this. I know each person has there own favorite era's in the Star Wars universe.

Everyday I see Star Wars fans being made fun of, bullied, ect by other so called Star Wars fans for just liking the Star Wars Prequels. I see it on the main Star Wars Facebook page, I see it on the 501st facebook page, I see it on youtube and other sites. What happened to the days where there was not this much hate/ drama in the Star Wars Fandom? What the heck happened? The hate has never been this bad before like it is today. I remembered when Star Wars fans would stick up with each other with bullies, not the OT loyal fans turning and becoming the bullies. I know I cant be the only person that is disturbed by this.

Reaction score
This is a loaded topic...I personally wish all the new junk would go away, but to each his own...and it doesn't exactly ruin my day to sift through it all to find vintage items. All that said, however, there appear to be some people who ad nauseam try to push the new stuff down others' throats...And, obviously, if you're on a vintage Star Wars site talking modern, you're probably going to receive at least a modicum of vitriol since people are very, very passionate about vintage star wars...

Last edited:
Reaction score
They're hate mongers! They really can't stand it when anyone express happiness with the films. As Obi-Wan once said "you will never find a more wretched hive of Scum and villainy on internet forums, we must be cautious!"

Reaction score
What happened to the days where there was not this much hate/ drama in the Star Wars Fandom? What the heck happened? The hate has never been this bad before like it is today.
Actually, that's not really true. You should have been on the internet back around 2001-2002, it was much worse back then.

I grew up on the OT, was excited by the Prequels before they came out and kept a really positive attitude about the films until shortly after Ep2 was released. By the time Ep3 was released, I was done with defending the Prequels. So, I gave the movies their chance; but when I finally had the opportunity to consider them as a whole and not as individual parts, it simply turned out that I didn't like them nearly as much as I liked the OT.

There's no "hate" involved, I just prefer one set of movies over another set of movies. For example, I hate the Michael Bay Transformers films, I dislike everything about them; but I don't hate the Star Wars Prequels. I wish that they would go away for a while, so we wouldn't have to have them constantly shoved in our faces; but I don't hate the movies. Maybe if they actually did go away for about 10 years or so (like the OT did), then I'd learn to develop a real appreciation for them. If you somehow take my opinion of the Prequels as a personal attack against you, then I think that's your issue, not mine.

Finally, there is an assumption you are making that is completely incorrect. Nobody is claiming that the OT films are perfect and without any flaws (and if anybody does claim that they are perfect, then they're an idiot and you should stop listening to that person). Every movie has flaws and the OT has plenty of them. However, the difference is that the overall viewing experience of ANH and ESB (maybe not so much ROTJ), is good enough that we can overlook those flaws.

Reaction score
They're hate mongers! They really can't stand it when anyone express happiness with the films. As Obi-Wan once said "you will never find a more wretched hive of Scum and villainy on internet forums, we must be cautious!"
Y'see this kind of reactionary statement is actually much, much worse than what you are railing against. We (those of us who prefer the OT) are criticizing a set of movies that we consider poorly written and poorly realized. However, your "hate monger" statement is directed towards a group of people. It's okay to hate a movie and say that you hate that movie. It's NOT okay to hate a person just because they don't like your favorite movie. That's when it crosses the line into bigotry.

Reaction score
This topic has been discussed ad nauseam but the simple answer is that they are bad movies. Especially AOTC, which is not just a bad SW movie but just a bad movie in general. The scene in TPM when we learn that Anakin built 3PO made me throw up a little in my mouth and told me all I needed to know about the level seriousness that was being brought to the writing of these films. The pandering to fanboys (Chewie making a cameo and sharing goodbyes with Yoda for example) was also ridiculous. At least I can say my disdain for the Prequels is less than the absolute hate i have for the Special Editions of the OT.

These movies were so ****ing disappointing. Return of the Jedi (which I feel is way under appreciated) looks like The Godfather compared to the Prequels.

I guess some fans expect a certain level of cinematic quality out of the Star Wars movies but some do not.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Actually, that's not really true. You should have been on the internet back around 2001-2002, it was much worse back then.

I grew up on the OT, was excited by the Prequels before they came out and kept a really positive attitude about the films until shortly after Ep2 was released. By the time Ep3 was released, I was done with defending the Prequels. So, I gave the movies their chance; but when I finally had the opportunity to consider them as a whole and not as individual parts, it simply turned out that I didn't like them nearly as much as I liked the OT.

There's no "hate" involved, I just prefer one set of movies over another set of movies. For example, I hate the Michael Bay Transformers films, I dislike everything about them; but I don't hate the Star Wars Prequels. I wish that they would go away for a while, so we wouldn't have to have them constantly shoved in our faces; but I don't hate the movies. Maybe if they actually did go away for about 10 years or so (like the OT did), then I'd learn to develop a real appreciation for them. If you somehow take my opinion of the Prequels as a personal attack against you, then I think that's your issue, not mine.

Finally, there is an assumption you are making that is completely incorrect. Nobody is claiming that the OT films are perfect and without any flaws (and if anybody does claim that they are perfect, then they're an idiot and you should stop listening to that person). Every movie has flaws and the OT has plenty of them. However, the difference is that the overall viewing experience of ANH and ESB (maybe not so much ROTJ), is good enough that we can overlook those flaws.

Oh no, I don't consider it a attack, that's your opinion and that's cool man, but what im talking about is these certain star wars fans make fun of other star wars fans for just liking the star wars prequels, I myself think that's just wrong. Im just getting tired of the PT fans getting bullied about it.

Reaction score
No matter what you like in life there are going to be others that mock you for it. The internet only makes it worse. The anonymity brings out the worst in some people. They can say things they would never say face to face. Just brush it off and find like minded people to share your interests with. About all you can do when it comes to the internet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
^^^This.^^^

But I'll also add that being "hyper-sensitive" about opposing viewpoints (whether they be eloquent or vulgar in nature) about something as trivial as movies doesn't make much sense, either.

Live and let live.

Last edited:
Reaction score
in 1985 they discontinued "coca-cola" and introduced something called "new coke". it had a similar flavor .. but it was aimed at younger consumers.
(less acid, more sweet -- like jar jar binks, compared to good old chewbacca).
at first, people were willing to give it a try .. but after a while, they realized, it just wasn't the same .. and they longed for the 'flavor' of the original formula.
this led to consumer backlash.

the same thing happened with star wars. they changed the "flavor" of the franchise. they made it sweet and child-friendly.
at first, people were willing to give it a try .. but after a while, they realized, it just wasn't the same .. and they longed for the 'flavor' of the original formula.

--> Episode 7 is the metaphoric equivalent of "coca-cola classic" --- the same old formula, but NOW, with high-fructose corn syrup, instead of cane sugar -- (with JJ abrams instead of Irvin Kershner).

--> and the PT's..? the metaphoric equivalent of "new coke"..? (well, that's just something best left forgotten). :p cheers!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yet, all that just excuses the OT fans to make fun of and bully other Star Wars fans for liking the prequels? that's not right and that's what I don't get.

Reaction score
Yet, all that just excuses the OT fans to make fun of and bully other Star Wars fans for liking the prequels? that's not right and that's what I don't get.
Not everybody is going to like the same things you like and they're not always going to be nice about expressing that dislike. Welcome to adulthood.

The only real advice I can give you is to develop a thicker skin.

I understand that you have a lot of positive childhood memories tied up in the Prequels, but that in and of itself does not make the Prequels good movies.

For instance, I have tons of great childhood memories of ROTJ from when it was first released. I was 10 years old when that movie premiered and it was the first major motion picture event that I was really old enough to get caught up in. However, now I understand that ROTJ is actually the worst film of the OT for several reasons that have nothing to do with personal opinions or nostalgia. Understanding that it's actually a lesser film compared to ANH and ESB doesn't change my appreciation of it in the slightest and it definitely doesn't erase those fond childhood memories.

So, just like what you like and don't worry about what other people think. Internet bullies are always going to be there and they're not exclusive to OT vs. PT discussion. In fact, they're not even exclusive to Star Wars. Anything that is popular enough to generate loyal fans (from sports to comic books, cars to action figures) is going to also generate bullying when two people disagree about something. Heck, I even received a death threat once, on a UFC website that I used to run, based solely on which MMA fighter was my favorite. The anonymity of the internet feeds this kind of behavior and frequently brings out the worst in people.

Reaction score
It's best to let it go, they'll always find their way into any and all prequel related threads to spread their poison.
And then there are people like this guy who are just as bad the OT-purists he is raging against. These kind of comments demonstrate the exact same narrow-mindedness and bullying tactics that AnakinSkyguy is complaining about, just from the other side of the debate.

Reaction score
You gotta toughen up that hide, son. Opinions are like a******s, everybody's got one. There are aspects of life that are infinitely more important than a little more than 6 hours of cinematic make-believe to be concerned with.

And h#ll, a little b@ll-busting never hurt anyone.

Reaction score
AnakinSkyguy... 2 things.

1. I'm not going to pat your butt like everyone else and ease you into feeling better. If you feel "bullied" by a bunch of Internet strangers that you'll never meet, and have no impact on your life whatsoever, because of opinions about a movie, there's something wrong with you.

2. While I could be wrong, I suspect you're a troll. Again I could be wrong, and if I am, I apologize.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You gotta toughen up that hide, son. Opinions are like a******s, everybody's got one...
I think the entire parable goes something like this..

"...Opinions are like A******s, everybody's got one, and the only one that doesn't smell, is your own"' :p (which is equally applicable) ;) cheers!

Last edited:
Reaction score
No I am not a troll.
Sweet.

In that case (and if I may be so bold), if you haven't already been welcomed to the RS forums please allow me to be the first.

And, as a friendly reminder:

1) Not all RS Forum members will agree with your opinion;
2) Not all RS Forum members will agree with your opinion; and (most important)
3) Not all RS Forum members will agree with your opinion.

Let the b@ll-busting BEGIN!!! :grin:

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you like it who cares what others think?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh I understand that, what I made this topic for is about how I don't understand why OT fans bully PT fans, when PT fans like both PT and OT. Yeah im all for people to have their own opinion. Everybody has there own favorite era for star wars, rather it be old republic, to the new jedi order.

Reaction score
"you like the Prequel trilogy? do all star wars fans a favor and kill yourself."

" Those who like ep 1-3 needs to be beaten up bad."

" Those who like the prequels just need to drop off the face of the earth, they have no taste in good movies."

That's just from the star wars facebook page that I have seen just today.

Reaction score
OT fans bully PT fans, when PT fans like both PT and OT.
Yeah, this is kind of a really broad generalization that I don't believe represents the reality… at all. Of course, it's what you want to believe because it helps feed this "persecution complex" that you seem to have going on.

PT fans can be just a beligerant towards OT fans when it suits them. Just read the comments from a certain PT fan in this very thread.

"you like the Prequel trilogy? do all star wars fans a favor and kill yourself."

" Those who like ep 1-3 needs to be beaten up bad."

" Those who like the prequels just need to drop off the face of the earth, they have no taste in good movies."

That's just from the star wars facebook page that I have seen just today.
Are you sure those comments are from OT fans? You seem to be more than happy to lump us all into one group, which is just as ridiculous as these comments you've posted from these "fans".

Honestly, as someone who was the victim of real bullying during childhood, I find it slightly laughable that kids today will take random comments, that weren't even directed at them specifically and from strangers they will likely never meet, so personally as to consider it "bullying".

I understand that online bullying is a real thing that can have devasting consequences, but this is not it. In fact, it's an insult to kids who are real victims of online bullying to even lump this kind of trivial nonsense in the same category.

Reaction score
for the record: (I've said it before and I'll say it again): there is NO SUCH THING as "OT vs PT"

there is only "4,5" vs "6,1,2,3" -- with the distinction based upon GL's level of dictatorial control over the franchise.

-===-

when it comes to #4, GL lamented endlessly for 20 years that he couldn't make "his movie, his way" -- the studio constantly interjected, and prevented him from creating a slapstick muppet show.
when it comes to #5, GL hired Irvin Kershner and TOLD him what to make -- but Kershner/Kurtz/Kasdan staged a coup, and INSTEAD, they created a masterpiece.

--> GL was livid. he took full creative control of the franchise in 1981 and he FINALLY got the slapstick muppet show he always wanted.
these same production values continued into the Prequel Era, and THAT is why they are such horrible films.
the prequel films stand alongside ROTJ, representing the WORST of what "Star Wars" has to offer -- the dictatorial efforts of a glorified film student.

anyone who lumps ROTJ in with 4&5, and collectively defends "Teh OT", has no ****ing clue what they are talking about. ((and NO, this is not "bullying")).
--> anyone who "hates the PT", SHOULD, by all rights, hate ROTJ equally, and for ALL the same reasons.. otherwise, they're full of ****, and their argument is meaningless.
the entire "OT vs PT" debate is derived from a pedestrian interpretation of the franchise (one "boxed set" vs another). it's ludicrous. don't pay ANY attention. ((and YES, this is just my "opinion")).

*move along* *move along*

Last edited:
Reaction score
I understand that online bullying is a real thing that can have devasting consequences, but this is not it. In fact, it's an insult to kids who are real victims of online bullying to even lump this kind of trivial nonsense in the same category.
thread win.

Reaction score
in 1985 they discontinued "coca-cola" and introduced something called "new coke". it had a similar flavor .. but it was aimed at younger consumers.
(less acid, more sweet -- like jar jar binks, compared to good old chewbacca).

the same thing happened with star wars. they changed the "flavor" of the franchise. they made it sweet and child-friendly.

--> Episode 7 is the metaphoric equivalent of "coca-cola classic" --- the same old formula, but NOW, with high-fructose corn syrup, instead of cane sugar -- (with JJ abrams instead of Irvin Kershner).

--> and the PT's..? the metaphoric equivalent of "new coke"..? (well, that's just something best left forgotten). :p cheers!
Ahaha. Love it. But Coke is so gross (the pop-- not the other one...). I guess I'm one of the few whom find any pop disgusting and vile. And yay for the return of the star charts, pie charts and PowerPoint!

The Prequels has become like Katy Perry, Rihanna, One Direction to me: They're catchy, colorful, loud and shouty, but utterly pointless music that's huge when they're released but totally forgotten soon afterwards. At their best, they're juvenile fun, but hollow and derivative. And they've got tons of devoted 12-year-old fans that will murder you in cold blood if they feel you've shaded Harry. The OT is more like The Rolling Stones and David Bowie-- timeless and age-defying, and we all make fun of how ancient Mick and Keith are but their influence in music is enternal; although ROTJ's quality is kind of, sort of like that really cringeworthy Jagger/Bowie collaboration "Dancing in the Streets" at times... No one and nothing's perfect, but some things are clearly better than others. Boy bands will come and soon be gone, but The Stones and Bowie will continue to influence music-- just like the Prequels had absolutely no impact on filmmaking, while the OT continues to be revered in the industry as a set of visionary films that defined a genre.

I think the Prequels are an obvious mess like Michael Jackson's face-- but like Michael's diehard fans, some diehard Prequel fans may not see the obvious mess, and get hurt and defensive when the mess is pointed out to them. Other Prequel fans do see the mess, and still enjoy it, and don't mind the criticism. Put things into perspective: You should be disturbed, angered and offended and saddened by the injustices all around the world right now: 8-year-old girls forced into prostitution in India; 10-year-old boys kidnapped and forced to become guerrilla soldiers in Africa; People dying everyday in the Gaza Strip; The Islamic Fundamentalists' murder of other religious groups in Iraq right now... It's all real-- and it's all the horrors of war. This is not entertainment. This is not Star Wars. So enjoy the Prequels all you want, and realize that in the context of life, your life, Star Wars/ the Prequels shouldn't be the most important thing. And if some ridicule you for enjoying it all, so what..?

I've always found the discussion here on Rebelscum about the films really lively, and civil-- and fun. It's too bad that it's only a rather small bunch that are active participants in the films section. But, they are an insightful group, so it's always come across as quality, and not quantity to me. I'm just a casual fan next to all these guys, so all their varying opinions are genuinely interesting to me since most have put so much thought into their opinions. So the "hate" for the Prequels here is definitely more thoughtful criticism, insightful-- and, sometimes, even witty, clever and definitely entertaining. I honestly don't think there are any bullies here (which gets thrown around so often these days, it seems.)

BigBarada: Only one death threat from the UFC crowd...? I don't believe it.

Reaction score
^^ the coke thing was genius. they wanted to replace cane sugar with high fructose corn syrup, in the Original Recipe. but they KNEW there would be consumer backlash. people WOULD tell the difference. this could go horribly wrong for them.

so instead, they cleansed the collective palate of the nation, by replacing it with "new coke" -- THEN they waited. it didn't take long, before people started to DEMAND the original recipe.

finally, they gave us the original recipe again. but this time, with the high fructose corn syrup, instead of cane sugar. and NOBODY could tell the difference. LOL!! :p

I predict the same thing happening with episode7 --> the prequels will act as a buffer, between the old "original recipe" and the new "original recipe". people will drink it down, and openly declare, that it is SOOO much better than "new coke" (so much better than the prequels). they won't even acknowledge the difference between 'cane sugar' and 'high fructose corn syrup' (between Kersh and JJ). :p LOL

Last edited:
Reaction score
^^^ You're like Cliff from Cheers, Cobalt...

Coke is gross no matter what they put in it (the pop, not the other one). Raw sugarcane is so good though.

JJ (Abrams, not Jar Jar) is definitely trying to bring back the OT-- literally. It all seems to creatively-- and substantially void, to me. The only spark of interest I find (so far) with the Sequels is Gwendolyne, Lupita and Andy's casting. Every character and design from the OT being brought back to the Sequels is the equivalent of seeing present day Mick Jagger trying to be down with the kids.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I never know what to say to this question, I mean I know tons of reasons I don't like the prequels but I always tell people if you actually like the prequels then I cant explain to you why they are bad. I feel like there are a lot of bad films these days that are very successful and popular but they are terrible, but as log as people like them and people don't demand quality they wont receive quality. with the kind of money that is spent on films like this I just cant wrap my head around the fact that people don't seem like they are trying to make genuinely good classic films.
I always take things to music because music is what I understand best. but I feel its like the way that most people always think either their parents or their grandparents music was the lamest cheesy boring thing ever, but had they been kids at that time they would have loved it. but it just seems like a lot of people especially younger people just always think newer is better and they will like the prequels no matter what because they are newer and thus better. im curious once this new trilogy is over if people that like the prequels will argue with fans on the new sequels about which is better.

and I remember the whole coke thing well and I remember being excited for my first classic coke and I instantly looked at my friends and said this is not the same.

Reaction score
While I tend to mostly agree with Cobalt on the points he makes not only in this thread but also in other threads, I have to say ROTJ is still a way better movie than the Prequels. Just the scenes with Vader, Luke, and the Emperor in the throne room on the Death Star are better than anything in the PT. I understand what Cobalt is saying about ROTJ having more in common with the PT because of Lucas's complete control but I still wouldn't lump it in with the travesty that is the PT.

Personally, my main point of contention with Lucas is not the PT but the Special Editions of the OT. It's one thing to make bad movies (PT) but to take already existing great movies and ruin them is unforgivable.

Last edited:
Reaction score
and I remember the whole coke thing well and I remember being excited for my first classic coke and I instantly looked at my friends and said this is not the same.
^^ of all the millions of coke drinkers in the world, only a handful like you even noticed. the rest got duped, into accepting an inferior product as 'equal' to the original.
just imagine if they had released the 'corn-syrup-Classic' version, back-to-back with the Original-Cane-Sugar version --> then EVERYONE would have noticed that difference in Quality.

Best. Marketing. Ever.:p

>> I wonder if the same will apply to Episode7, if even accidentally? for example, if history had somehow allowed JJ's sequel to be released back-to-back with the OT, then perhaps everyone might be more inclined to take notice of its inevitable flaws.. but with the PT's in between to act as that 'new coke' buffer, then in a way, JJ's sequel can do no wrong.. and everyone gets 'duped' into a mindset where the new JJ-SW is accepted as !JuST LiKe! the original 'flavor'.
(in the end the PT's will act as a boon to the new sequel, when it goes down in history as "better than the PT", instead of "worse than the original". hehe)

Last edited:
Reaction score
ROTJ feels rushed, but it's still a competent story, with some powerful moments-- and some of the best SW designs. It's not a mess. The Ewok storyline is sloppy-- and annoying, but at least it makes sense. Nothing of TPM makes sense-- and I like TPM. That Gungan battle makes absolutely no sense when you allow yourself to think about it-- other than to give Jar Jar's unfunny slapstick drwan-out screentime. Why would the TF bother to waste their ground army with the Gungans? And all the way out in some open plain? Why not just carpet-bomb the whole lot? If the Gungans were attacking the occupied Palace, then I can understand why the TF would confront them... And the makeup of that Gungan Army makes even less sense: Why would airbreathing-only beings chose to live deep underwater in easily-penetrable structures surrounded by dangerous see monsters-- iwhen there's a vast, lush, sparsely-populated world above the sea? And all their mounds/ beasts of burden are also land creatures: Do the Gungans keep them somewhere on land? Why not just live on land? The story and design elements on their own are interesting, with so much potential. But, George puts absolutely no logic, thought, cohesion when he attempts to tell his story. At least the ewoks make sense.

Look at AnakinSkyguy's signature (not picking on you, just trying to make a point): As a quote, it's grand, and wrought with that type of self-importance and weight that's seeped in history. But within the context of the film, it's just a presupposition-- and ultimately, premature and empty signifier: Didn't Anakin make that statement in less than a day? If not shorter? That's the type of announcement that someone who's been fighting a campaign for his entire life, would make-- not within mere hours.... It's just so silly. Even Justin Beiber didn't have a Christ-complex until a couple of years into his career.

I think Cobalt was going through some intense teen angst when ROTJ opened-- hence his hatred for it. LOL Incidentally, it was my first "Star Wars". The ewoks didn't have/ leave an impression on my 3-year-old psyche; I do vividly remember being fascinated by the image of Oola, though.

Reaction score
Eh, I think he just didn't like it on a level that many of us didn't like the prequels. No big deal. But I do think he's way off base in declaring that there is NO OT vs. PT. Maybe, not for him, but I definitely view it as OT vs PT.

Reaction score
^^^ That's just it, isn't it...? I like TPM, but as weak as ROTJ may be--and it is the weakest one of the OT, it's not as juvenile and poorly realized as TPM. So, there's something about Cobalt... having such distain for it... LOL

For every annoying ewok-filled scene, there's the Final Duel, the speederbike chase and the space battle. For every muppet-looking design and ewok design, there's the Biker Scout, Royal Guard, Boussh and all the new battleships. And at least the villains: Jabba and the Emperor, were actually menacing and ruthless-- unlike the goofy Trade Federation idiots, the hologram of Darth Sidious and Darth Maul, although a great design, never came across even capable of instilling fear: Amidala just blows him off when she sees him... she'd rather "take the long way". Her and her crew of teen models weren't even intimated by him.

BTW, I've never been tempted by any SW toys. But, my god... I'm really tempted by that SST Biker Scout and Speederbike: I want 3 sets.

Reaction score
^^ I liked the TIE-interceptor. but that appreciation only comes from Larry Holland and the X-wing video games; not ROTJ per se. :p

-===-

I was 7 when the first SW was released; 10 for ESB. by the time ROTJ came along, I was 13. I had discovered girls. I was ready for a more "serious" outing. (in much the same way that the Harry Potter franchise became more mature as time went on: it grew more mature, along with its audience, in a concerted effort to cater TO that audience. the first book was a simple children's novel; the final book was more mature, BECAUSE the audience ITSELF had aged).

but.. as I fully explained above.. the "flavor" of the SW franchise was intentionally changed. they made it "sweet" and "child friendly" at the eleventh hour. the final chapter of the OT was aimed at an audience of six year olds. (and what's more: it insulted our intelligence with sloppy storytelling via sibling incest; it was ham-fisted and ridiculous).

I'm sure there would be some dissenters amongst the Harry Potter audience as well, if the franchise had intentionally "Aged" itself along with it's audience until the eleventh hour (became more mature as time went on), only to pull a bait-and-switch at the very last film, with a "deathly hallows" chapter, aimed squarely at six year olds.

for those who were only exposed to the OT via boxed set in the 1990's, this probably wasn't a big deal to them.. they could always just watch a different tape.. but for someone who had waited 1/3 of his conscious life for some mature closure on a life-changing franchise.. ROTJ was a bitter betrayal, to a loyal fan. :p (it was unforgivable).

the PT, by contrast, was aimed at a different audience. it was made for my children; not myself. I fully expected a movie full of ewoks/jar-jars, and small children shouting "yippee!" -- this was not a betrayal to its own audience. it was an unapologetic attempt to cultivate a new audience. this was completely understandable. (and forgivable)

if I had to rank the films in order of preference I would say 4,5, 3,1 ,2,6 (with 2&6 tied for the honor of last place). :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Agree with you totally C60.... Maybe its mainly our age group that think this about the OT etc..??

SW was amazing and then I think ESB actually improved and expanded the Universe (to me anyway) , and then ROTJ disappointingly had Ewoks etc.....