Hyperreal Line

GNT

Reaction score
Yakface have an article up about a new line that's coming our way:

Hasbro will soon be officially announcing a new segment of Black Series figures called “HyperReal” – rumor has it that these figures are even more articulated than the current Black Series line and they are a larger scale. For further evidence supporting the rumor of this line, we’ve had in our in our Master List of UPCs/SKUs a item called Darth Vader (E4) Action Figure with a $49.99 $79.99 price point. Today, Brickseek updated that listing to include the Hyperreal reference and you can see it on Walmart.com shown as “SW E4 BL HYPERREAL DARTH VADER”. The dimensions of the packaging also allude to a larger scale than the current 6″ Black Series line.
More as it develops and watch for an official announcement at Toy Fair.
Update: I cross referenced the wrong price point. They will be closer to $80
Maybe a line to combat people buying Hot Toys? Or possibly another dud line?

Reaction score
So these are similar to the 12" marvel legends? Or is the figure 6" still but way more detail?

Either way not buying into it.

Hasbro does a terrible job with the black series, compared to marvel legends at the same price point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Maybe I'll change my mind when I see them, but my initial reaction is, no way.

I was happy to start over with the 6" line after decades of 3.75" - but I'm not doing it again so soon. There's still so much to make at the 6" scale.

If the HyperReal figures turn out to be 1/12 scale, but nicer quality figures like the Japanese imports, I would be all for that. As long as they could be mixed in with the Black Series and the quality matched the price.

It seems like a strange time to start a line in a new scale. Hasbro's Star Wars license is set to expire - why begin something like this before locking in the new contract? Unless, I suppose, they are testing consumer interest in a premium line, so they can better gauge the value of the license ahead of negotiating a new deal with Disney. But as a collector, I certainly wouldn't appreciate that.

Reaction score
I have to see some comparing shots or video of these. Showcasing their articulations and hyperreal-ness. And compared to Black series.
Hearing how poorly they have treated the 3.75 line, when they said this and that, kind of makes you wonder, why they chose to get into a new scale - but maybe we can get the kung-fu grip then, instead of perpetual-ghost-pistol-grip :)

Reaction score
So these are similar to the 12" marvel legends? Or is the figure 6" still but way more detail?

Either way not buying into it.

Hasbro does a terrible job with the black series, compared to marvel legends at the same price point.

more like Mezco figures in design

Reaction score
I'm not surprised. Here they go again making something no one wants, especially another scale of action figure!! SIGH!!!!!!

Reaction score

I will never understand this...

My girlfriend buys 95% of the Legends they put out. It is so boring getting the same body for the 4th time in the same year with a new head and some overlay parts.

The MCU stuff is basically on par with Black Series, I honestly think the SW photoreal faces come out better and we don't have as many did as they do. Even the MCU line reuses stuff at times when it really shouldn't. And they also get a lot more inaccurate figures, I think all of Thanos' Black Order are based off concept art or amalgamations.

Reaction score
I will never understand this...

My girlfriend buys 95% of the Legends they put out. It is so boring getting the same body for the 4th time in the same year with a new head and some overlay parts.

The MCU stuff is basically on par with Black Series, I honestly think the SW photoreal faces come out better and we don't have as many did as they do. Even the MCU line reuses stuff at times when it really shouldn't. And they also get a lot more inaccurate figures, I think all of Thanos' Black Order are based off concept art or amalgamations.
I'm just saying we could've had build a figures like snoke, moroff, lady proxima, etc.

Hasbro's excuse is they want BAF to be unique to ML. Meanwhile DC also does it as do other toy lines I've seen.

They're just being cheap.

Reaction score
I'm just saying we could've had build a figures like snoke, moroff, lady proxima, etc.

Hasbro's excuse is they want BAF to be unique to ML. Meanwhile DC also does it as do other toy lines I've seen.

They're just being cheap.

You have to consider how much they save on tooling budgets for a wave, and often figures suffer accessory wise for that BAF piece. Hasbro has said at least with MLs budgets are for the entire wave.

That's why even MCU waves have comic figures in them to keep the budget low enough for a BAF. Even then look at the new Kree Sentry BAF. Almost no paint whatsoever. Thanos last year was horrible too.

Us Star Wars fans wouldn't accept a BAF lacking paint almost entirely, or forced reuse on characters when it's not completely accurate. I'd love to have a BAF of any sort in this line. But considering SW needs entire new sculpts that can't be reused for almost every figure in a wave it's just not feasible. Also the fees for SW are much higher than Marvel.

I have no qualms with the 20 dollar price, and I wouldnt love this line if it was like Legends. Most reuse in Black Series is in exclusives and multipacks, not our waves.

As someone who handles or owns almost every ML and BS figure the freshness of SW sculpts and articulation schemes mean so much to me. Imagine if all the officers rank badges were painted on, or Dengar reused parts from the Snowtrooper, or if most figures were the bodies of ANH Luke and Leia with vests and holsters glued on. This line is a lot less appealing then.

Reaction score
Officially don't care. I've invested too much time, effort and money collecting 6" to go up another scale again.

Yeah, 6 inch is the only scale I will go up to. If Hasbro is trying to reintroduce the 12 inch line(Collector series)that would be interesting.

Reaction score
Maybe I'll change my mind when I see them, but my initial reaction is, no way.

Agree completely. I'm already running out of space with the 6" lads and this seems to be a bigger scale.

And I won't make the same mistake I made with the 6" line again, in that I said to myself, "I'll limit it to stormtroopers only, cos they looked cool".

100 or so figures later it's clear that that plan failed...and failed miserably.

Reaction score
I dont have the room nor the money

BUT! I may bite on the odd one here and there if they are decent enough

Reaction score
Lol. This is exactly the same discussion we had six years ago when the six inch line debuted. Who are you kidding guys.

Reaction score
I would have to see them in hand or person to make a BIG decision on this new, more articulated line. Personally, I think Hasbro should be thinking about retooling the older Blue and Oranges releases with the new face print tech as well as other 6 inch figures.
Only once that is done, then move onto something new like this. I feel like Hasbro is spreading their self thin with all of this.

Reaction score
Yeah, 6 inch is the only scale I will go up to. If Hasbro is trying to reintroduce the 12 inch line(Collector series)that would be interesting.

They arent. This is a higher end, limited edition line (like Mezco One:12) that will only have a couple figures per year at the most (and that’s if the line takes off).

Reaction score
The discussion over at Yakface has actually piqued my interest in this line. Knowing what it's compared to helps me visualize it a bit.Their list has three figures listed, Vader, Luke, and Rey. The Luke has E8 listed next to the name, so I'm not sure of any of those three figures would appeal to me. I'm a huge Luke fan, but the ST is not my cup of tea, so Luke would have to be extremely well-done for me to be interested. I've skipped all of the 6" ST Lukes and the HT ST Lukes, so I'm not sure I'd be willing to shell out that kind of money for a 7" E8 Luke.

It would be nice if some of the figures would be companion pieces (I guess Luke and Rey would, but Rey doesn't interest me in this scale). Vader's a classic, but if they offered Obi-Wan (ANH) or stormtroopers to flank him, that would make him more interesting to me. If the line tanks and they only make three, then I guess it won't matter.

Reaction score
While some collectors may buy them right off the start at retail price, I would assume that most will wait for the discounts to roll out. This spells doom for the line.

I don't know why this new line would be a direction Hasbro would go in. It really has no chance of succeeding with other large figure, highly-articulated lines.

I would definitely pass on this.

Reaction score
$80

If that's true, this idea is HyperRidiculous. I know that people will buy Hot Toys and Mezco, etc., but that niche of collecting seems like an odd one to court unless you are planning on going totally into the collector market. They couldn't sell an $80 6" TIE. They couldn't sell an $80 HoverTank. Or maybe those things sold well and seeing them at half price is just the way things sell these days?

Don't expect these at retail. The Star Wars section around me is down to lightsabers, a peg or 2 for 6" and a peg or 2 for 3.75".

Reaction score
Like other have said, I will have to see them first, but can't really see myself getting into another line. I'm not a fan of the Mezco 1/12 figures, so that comparison does make these any more tempting. I guess we'll see soon enough at Toy Fair.

Reaction score
Having read the comments on Yakface, these are likely to be 8 inches. I don't think scale changes will help with sales - same goes for the Galaxy of Adventures line rumored to be going to 5 inches. The 3.75 and 6 inch scales are what Hasbro should focus on, if they continue to neglect the 3.75 range, the whole brand (as it relates to toys) will start to collapse in my opinion. With so much hitting clearance in every scale, adding more product sizes and higher pricepoints will only make it worse. I'm all for Hasbro experimenting, but not at the expense of scales that have been around for decades.

Reaction score
I'm all for Hasbro experimenting, but not at the expense of scales that have been around for decades.

It's not really at the expense of other scales as those will continue. This is about introducing a limited selection of new, higher-end products the fit in a scale/price point that don't have much representation in. There are 3 planned, although one of which may already be cancelled. We shall see next weekend.

Reaction score
It's not really at the expense of other scales as those will continue. This is about introducing a limited selection of new, higher-end products the fit in a scale/price point that don't have much representation in. There are 3 planned, although one of which may already be cancelled. We shall see next weekend.

I was lumping Galaxy of Adventures in my comments as well, because it seems they're exploring other scales instead of focusing on the tried-and-true models that have been around for so long. Again, I don't begrudge them, because they try new products yearly, I simply feel we might be looking at a situation similar to those centerpiece releases, where collectors scoff at the pricepoint, and they only start to move when the price is slashed in half.

When 6 inch was introduced, many thought the 3.75 scale would be hurt by it, but it really wasn't. At this point though, the 3.75 range does seem to be suffering, as we have no basic movie line and only a few new offerings in TVC. I appreciate your viewpoint, because your knowledge on the hobby is second to none, but its hard not to draw those conclusions from these rumored new lines, when the 3.75 scale is in the state that it is. Many thought we'd get the better part of a year to catch up on missed characters, but it feels more like Hasbro is exploring other directions to take the brand.

Reaction score
Vader with an unmasked swappable head and Boba Fett would definitely catch my eye with premium detailing

Reaction score
I wish hasbro would just make the basic 3.75 line articulate again. I only collect black series now, but back during the POTF2-ROTS days I only collected the 3.75 and a few 12 inch here and there. I know that costs go up, but 13 years ago you got way more bang for your buck. $5.99 for SA Clone troopers, Jedi, and just more movement and detail in the basic line. There are many factors as to why Star Wars toys appear to not sell as well anymore (lack of interest in the new films, more kids being into technology and video games instead of toys, etc etc) but I don't think have toys with 5 points of articulation helps at all. Its almost $10 for a basic figure that honestly sucks.

Now if these new figures end up being like the 12 inch Marvel and are highly detailed and come with a decent amount of accessories then I'll be all for it depending on the character. A highly detailed Vader, Maul, Anakin, and Luke would be awesome. But we will see.

Reaction score
I'll have to see one in person, but at $80 for one figure? I'm most likely OUT on this line, unless they really knock an Obi-Wan out of the park.

Reaction score

Uhhh... the Black Series definitely negatively impacted the 3.75" articulated line, it's silly to think doing this again won't have another negative impact.

Reaction score
Uhhh... the Black Series definitely negatively impacted the 3.75" articulated line, it's silly to think doing this again won't have another negative impact.

Not with only 2 or 3 characters (max) per year.

Reaction score
As a character-centric collector, I'm withholding my opinion until we get an idea of what the character selection is going to be. We need to get Darth Vader, Boba Fett, and a Stormtrooper to start the line off. Otherwise, wake me when Hasbro gets around to making Darth Vader, Boba Fett, and a Stormtrooper in this new format.

Reaction score
Vader as first release is great. Not sure about ST releases like Luke and Ray. If they sell poorly, Hasbro might kill the line. ST characters all always relatively poor sellers. Even with Hot Toys, you can still get many of them even now, from BBTS ... with 3/4 of the price given back as store credit.

Reaction score
Vader as first release is great. Not sure about ST releases like Luke and Ray. If they sell poorly, Hasbro might kill the line. ST characters all always relatively poor sellers. Even with Hot Toys, you can still get many of them even now, from BBTS ... with 3/4 of the price given back as store credit.
That could just as easily mean that BBTS over-ordered for TFA, especially on characters that Hot Toys released individually and in multi-packs (they went way overboard with the Finns and the Troopers). But generally, a number of the ST characters sell pretty well. Still, I'm sure the best selling OT characters outsell the best selling ST characters.

I would imagine the reason they are starting with ST human characters is that they don't have digital face scans for the OT characters (save for possibly Leia and Tarkin from the work that was done on Rogue One). Hasbro's sculptors haven't done very well when they've had to work from photographs - they're certainly not what you would call Hyperreal. I know a loot of BS collectors really like the Bespin Han head, but it still looks pretty cartoony compared to the digital scan face sculpts. And making the heads bigger would only accentuate the weaknesses of the sculpts. Hasbro could hire better sculpt designers if the line proves successful, but it makes sense to test the waters before investing in new artists.

Personally, I think Rey makes sense, but I would have gone with Ep3 Obi-Wan over Ep8 Luke to draw in collectors from all three eras. But we're talking about a corporation, and the only PT humans Hasbro has made in the 6" scale are Ep3 Obi-Wan (which undersold because it didn't look very good) and Ep3 Anakin (which undersold because they couldn't get them into stores), so they probably decided to go with the safer bet and make Luke (who always sells well) from the only movie that provided them with a digital face scan.

Reaction score
That could just as easily mean that BBTS over-ordered for TFA, especially on characters that Hot Toys released individually and in multi-packs (they went way overboard with the Finns and the Troopers). But generally, a number of the ST characters sell pretty well. Still, I'm sure the best selling OT characters outsell the best selling ST characters.

I would imagine the reason they are starting with ST human characters is that they don't have digital face scans for the OT characters (save for possibly Leia and Tarkin from the work that was done on Rogue One). Hasbro's sculptors haven't done very well when they've had to work from photographs - they're certainly not what you would call Hyperreal. I know a loot of BS collectors really like the Bespin Han head, but it still looks pretty cartoony compared to the digital scan face sculpts. And making the heads bigger would only accentuate the weaknesses of the sculpts. Hasbro could hire better sculpt designers if the line proves successful, but it makes sense to test the waters before investing in new artists.

Personally, I think Rey makes sense, but I would have gone with Ep3 Obi-Wan over Ep8 Luke to draw in collectors from all three eras. But we're talking about a corporation, and the only PT humans Hasbro has made in the 6" scale are Ep3 Obi-Wan (which undersold because it didn't look very good) and Ep3 Anakin (which undersold because they couldn't get them into stores), so they probably decided to go with the safer bet and make Luke (who always sells well) from the only movie that provided them with a digital face scan.

Could very well be that BBTS over-ordered. But did everyone over-order ST merch? Amiami and the ST figuarts they can’t move? Amazon? Let’s be honest :)

The next movie will probably be even worse from a toys perspective, because interest among many collectors is at a low. Speaking for myself, I bought a lot of TFA toys. I toned it down for TLJ, and I will surely buy even less for the new film unless it’s on sale. I know I’m not the only one.

Out of these first three releases, they should have released a stormtrooper to go with the Darth Vader. Makes sense, and stormtroopers always guarantee lots of interest among collectors, for obvious reasons.

Reaction score
Not with only 2 or 3 characters (max) per year.

This I can understand, but I think they have to be very careful whith which figures they select. Vader, that's a good start and I think he has the most universal appeal (probably not for me, but in general). However, if the other 2 (or just 1) for the year are ST Rey and an E 8 Luke, then I won't really have any interest in this line until they bring out an OT Luke.
T

Reaction score
As a character-centric collector, I'm withholding my opinion until we get an idea of what the character selection is going to be. We need to get Darth Vader, Boba Fett, and a Stormtrooper to start the line off. Otherwise, wake me when Hasbro gets around to making Darth Vader, Boba Fett, and a Stormtrooper in this new format.

The first three rumored are Vader, Rey, and an E8 Luke, so you'll get one of your three wishes.
T

Reaction score
I will wait and see. I just cant see myself buying $50 8 inch figures. But maybe?