QUESTION How's the managed payments going on Ebay

Reaction score
How's is it working? Does the money automatically show up in your bank account from each sale? Just curious, I was thinking of listing something and wondered how it was going.

Reaction score
I am still getting Paypal... for every sale, as they come in.

Reaction score
So you haven't signed up for the new program? When do you have to sign up by?

Reaction score
It depends how much volume (gross sales) you do on ebay. The more gross sales ( $2000+ per month for sure) you do, Ebay will put you on managed payments ( that started last Aug/Sept.). If you're a small time seller ... sell $100- 800 per month, initially they aren't putting people on managed payments . I did however talk with a lady at ebay ( English speaking from USA) about 3 months ago, and she said that Everyone will eventually be on managed payments... it's just a matter of time). Probably by Summer-Fall of 2021 most everyone will be on managed payments.

I don't like it. I sell something... could be $20 , or $200 and pretty much the day I ship is when they send the payout to my bank account . It's a matter of watching your bank account daily . As opposed to PayPal, when you sell something the money automatically hits your account that minute , then you ship that day... or 1-2 days later ( it's simpler to manage /track). Then while the money is in PayPal, you use it for printing a shipping label , buy something online , transfer a chunk $ to your bank account, etc.

For most sellers (non-Ebay stores) , for non-managed accounts Ebay takes 10-11% of the sale of the item ( item + shipping). Then Paypal takes about 3.5% of the total amount a buyer sends. With Managed payments , Ebay takes about 13.5% in selling fees (so similar in terms of overall % cost of selling something) .

**What I mainly dislike though is how much different buyers are treated versus sellers. Buyers are treated like gold .... and I get it, they help keep Ebay alive , prosperous , thriving week to week. However it's the Sellers that actually do 99% of the WORK , fulfilling orders , posting items for sale , etc. Ebay gets a. 10-13.5% selling fee from MOST categories ( that's due to sellers listing, and wanting to sell on Ebay). I could talk further about the Global Shipping program , but I'll refrain (I've had good ... and bad luck with that in the last 1-2 years).

**As you know, it's all an effort to eliminate PayPal from the payments side of things , and keep it all under one Roof .... the Ebay roof . I'm not going to say which is more efficient ( the new , or old way) , but in some ways I can see how keeping it all under one roof can be a bit more simpler on the side of Ebay ( dealing with buyer /seller /payment issues).

Last edited:
Reaction score
How's is it working? Does the money automatically show up in your bank account from each sale? Just curious, I was thinking of listing something and wondered how it was going.
There's a daily deposit drop into your bank account. Usually takes about 2 days to get your money after payment. Still don't see itemized deductions for fees though. Itt just deducts automatically I guess. I won't be surprised to get a bill at the end of the month even though it says billing has been discontinued on my account

Reaction score
I'm noticing sellers are holding products longer before shipping . Now I understand why. They won't ship until ebay gives them the money.

I dont like it. But I also can't blame the seller. Why should they ship if they dont have money from the sale

Reaction score
Does anyone else think eBay's fees are way too high? If it were an auction house and they were promoting, auctioning and posting your items then yes, 15/20% is fine, but what does ebay do for their 13.6% ?? I think 5% would be a fairer.

I've noticed in the last few years more sellers are now selling on facebook groups. Personally, I sell common items on Facebook and harder to find on ebay and do most my buying on ebay.

Reaction score
Does anyone else think eBay's fees are way too high? If it were an auction house and they were promoting, auctioning and posting your items then yes, 15/20% is fine, but what does ebay do for their 13.6% ?? I think 5% would be a fairer.

I've noticed in the last few years more sellers are now selling on facebook groups. Personally, I sell common items on Facebook and harder to find on ebay and do most my buying on ebay.
It’s called a captive audience

They have all the power and control and the know it .

There’s no other site besides Etsy or Amazon but neither of those sites have good toy deals . Both sites sell very high asking prices .

The only other option is to have auctions on sites like this one or Facebook groups and they are highly frowned upon

Dax

Reaction score
Maybe it's time for Yahoo Auctions to rise from the ashes?

First I had heard of this but I rarely use ebay anymore because of their previous bonehead strategic decisions (i.e. how to **** over their sellers as much as possible).

It's rather pathetic to see a once great business model cannibalise itself in a desperate effort to generate magical growth out of nothing.

Reaction score
Yeah. eBay is just one more great to die of the Chets trying to make their quarterly bonuses. I won't be selling on there after the death of Paypal.

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with two different Ebay accounts routing payments to the same bank account. For example, if a person and their spouse had separate Ebay accounts and a joint bank account.

There was once upon a time a PayPal limitation preventing the above scenario.

Reaction score
A good friend has a larger ebay account that is on managed payments as of Sept , but then they have a second Ebay account (smaller account, sell a little on it , but also buy on it) but that account isn't on managed payments yet ( so smaller sale payments are going thru PP). Pre Sept 2020 , both were on PP payments

Reaction score
A good friend has a larger ebay account that is on managed payments as of Sept , but then they have a second Ebay account (smaller account, sell a little on it , but also buy on it) but that account isn't on managed payments yet ( so smaller sale payments are going thru PP). Pre Sept 2020 , both were on PP payments
Sounds like shill bid account.

Reaction score
Sounds like shill bid account.
Could be - I don't know Adam's friend. Personally, I think it's a bit rude to cast dispersions like this, though, and by extension, to me, since I had asked the question that Adam was responding to.

We talk all the time about shill bidding and most of us believe that it goes on. There are other sites that have mentioned users that have gotten flagged by eBay shill bidding activity and shut down. Ebay tracks the IP addresses that accounts use (even though it's argued to what level they can and do), in addition to other geolocation techniques, so unless Adam's friend regularly performs rerouting and other methods to hide the second account, shilling often and frequently will get caught.

To be clear, we've got seven accounts in our household for different individuals and different purposes. We have never shill bid.

Reaction score
Could be - I don't know Adam's friend. Personally, I think it's a bit rude to cast dispersions like this, though, and by extension, to me, since I had asked the question that Adam was responding to.

We talk all the time about shill bidding and most of us believe that it goes on. There are other sites that have mentioned users that have gotten flagged by eBay shill bidding activity and shut down. Ebay tracks the IP addresses that accounts use (even though it's argued to what level they can and do), in addition to other geolocation techniques, so unless Adam's friend regularly performs rerouting and other methods to hide the second account, shilling often and frequently will get caught.

To be clear, we've got seven accounts in our household for different individuals and different purposes. We have never shill bid.
Didn't mean to cast anything towards you or your friend. Whenever I hear someone has 2 ebay accounts , just throws a red flag for me. I can't think of any reason I would need 2 accounts.

Reaction score
Shill bidding is alive and well and goes on constantly. I know this to be fact and not opinion. It's not necessarily people in the same house hold or even single users with multiple accounts, but a team that bids each others listings up to boost up dollar amounts. I am not proud to admit this, but I personally know 2 of them. They sell sports memorabilia and not toys but never the less, they still do it. I know there's atleast 4 in the circle of shill bidding in that one group alone.

We have all seen head scratchers with crappy listings that just started , already bid way past nicer items that have less than half the time remaining.

Right now there is a Indiana Jones 4 back moc pushing 900 dollars with 9 back mocs (which are way more rare) for less than half on auction. I paid way less for mine last month.

Unless the item is rare, I dont trust any listing that shoots right up on the first day. Even rare items take a few days to rise up.

Reaction score
He's straight up with me.

The one ebay account is mainly a buying account , that he's buying items to resell later (nothing vintage SW related ). Much of what he buys is a Buy it now ... deal, as good of a deal as he can get (or could be bidding , but he knows what his top end is, so that he knows if he can /cannot make some kind of decent margin off the buy). He gets the product in , cleans them up , spends 30-45 minutes per item he lists on ebay, and resells mostly on Ebay (on the second ... larger account). The smaller account he does some selling on (smaller items mainly, under $40-50 , media , items to clear space). The larger account is 20+ years old , and mainly sells his $75- $250 items that are sports related consumables (again, nothing vintage SW related, nothing toy related for that matter , or collectable related).

Buy low ... sell for a margin you can live with ( it may be a new or used item , but the item still has lots of life left in it).

Reaction score
In other words, he's still performing WORK to then make some dollars in the end. He obtains the items in a legit manner ( Buy it now, or by bidding....and winning the auction). He may put out $70 to get the item, 40 minutes in time cleaning them up, fixing a part , resists them on ebay for $140 . To some consumers it beats paying $225- 400 for a new item , so the buyer still benefits buy getting the item for about 1/2 of what it would cost new ( yet it may be used ... maybe 10-15% less life left in it in comparison to a new item).

He knows the market , he's passionate about the product to the Nth degree , and he knows the marketplace of what a certain model is valued at . He sells year round , but it's pretty much March thru October is his strong months.

Reaction score
I've always enjoyed being able to manage my ebay sales from my paypal account and not my bank account. Right now I'm not a fan of the new pay out system they are implementing, but I get it. If you could do everything in house and cut out the middle man you probably would too right? That's business, but it doesn't mean we have to like it. I'm a small time ebay seller so maybe I'll be fine with it eventually. My gut tells me my bank information is more secure with paypal than it is ebay, but that may just be me. Anyone else feel that way?

Reaction score
It’s going to really slow shipping

I have been told this by seller I bought from asking me to be understanding with eBays new policy

they don’t get paid the same day like they did when we use PayPal

unless eBay takes the fees out right away like PayPal does , I don’t understand why they are doing this

I’m not a fan

Reaction score
In other words, he's still performing WORK to then make some dollars in the end. He obtains the items in a legit manner ( Buy it now, or by bidding....and winning the auction). He may put out $70 to get the item, 40 minutes in time cleaning them up, fixing a part , resists them on ebay for $140 . To some consumers it beats paying $225- 400 for a new item , so the buyer still benefits buy getting the item for about 1/2 of what it would cost new ( yet it may be used ... maybe 10-15% less life left in it in comparison to a new item).

He knows the market , he's passionate about the product to the Nth degree , and he knows the marketplace of what a certain model is valued at . He sells year round , but it's pretty much March thru October is his strong months.
omg 😱 a “scalper”! Wait till the moral police climb down from their horses and condemn this immoral behavior. How dare anyone buy and sell things for more than they paid. Except for them of course, who collect solely for the good of the community

Reaction score
He doesn't have any Indian blood in him. He sees value in what other people are selling ( consumer sellers don't see the value). Receives in the product , cleans/fixes , resells on ebay ... if it takes 1 week , or 2 months to sell he usually makes $30-50 per item ( for just under an hour of work..... not back breaking work).

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but thought I would also post here:

Here's the details I got from a friend of mine. ebay is now following the Amazon platform. ebay now gets paid first and keeps your money longer. Even if a customer still pays by paypal, it all goes to ebay first. They process all payments and take there percent. So that can take days (2-4+). Then they transfer the funds to your bank. That can take 2-4+ days. So it can take as long as 7+ business days per transaction to get your money. This can go even longer depending on your bank. They expect sellers to ship the item when the money has cleared in there account not sellers. The fee ebay charges now will include the tax. Example you sell an item for $300.00 and with tax say it's $324.00, your fee's are now based on $324.00. Returns: Seller must keep a CC on the account so if funds are not in the account to pay for a return/damage ebay can immediately charge your CC. That's just a small example of the new fun selling on ebay. I suppose all of this may get adjusted one way or another, but it will always favor ebay not the seller. The average seller will most likely not like all of these changes. Some will adjust and some will opt out. This is the game now on ebay, there rules there game.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Of course it will always favor Ebay (not the seller). Ebay has no over head . They host the platform, and deal with software /hardware issues. Their customer service is spotty (some good, some bad... it just depends on who you talk with on a given day). It's the sellers on ebay that keep that marketplace going week to week , they do 98% of the work!!

Reaction score
I meant to say, if you have anything music related.. it's best to post on Discogs. Discogs takes 8% of the sale price , but otherwise it's a nice platform, informative , B+ ... A- all around.

If you have 3+ of a given artist (LP /CD) ,sometimes it is best to post on Ebay as a lot , it will usually sell faster ... in one shot.

Reaction score
Shipping delays will increase for all buyers (and I don’t blame the sellers). 😞

Reaction score
I just found another distasteful bend related to Managed Payments...that is the shipping discount directly through eBay is less than that of PayPal.

We don't do a lot of selling on eBay - very much a side gig with about 10-12 items a month, so I didn't notice this at first. My wife has a couple of regular customers and the shipping for them went up when purchasing the labels on eBay, rather than through PayPal. Now, we aren't talking a huge amount ($2.76 on PayPal, as compared to $2.93 on eBay) - just $.18. Which for her volume, amounts to about $20-25 a year. It's salt in a wound for her, really, and if you wanted to go to the extra effort, you could always generate labels manually, rather than click-through on eBay.

However...translate that out to large volume sellers and the dollars really start growing (or rather, meager profits shrink even more).

Reaction score
I want to close my store, and since they changed their terms does that make my contract null and void? Or do they have to honor my original agreement. Not vomfortable giving them direct access to my bank accounts.

Reaction score
What a mess. That kind of nickel and dime stuff potentially could ruin some of those wholesalers. Almost every eBayer’s profits are already so razor thin.

Reaction score
I'll just add a personal current note to what I already posted earlier. My nephew sells classic car parts. He sold an item on 12/14/20. He shipped it on 12/15/20. The customer received it 3 days later. My Nephew told me as of today 1/4/21 he has yet to see the payment of over $350.00 in his bank account. He tried to call ebay (they no longer take calls from anyone-they call you ) and then made a customer service request on ebays site and found an 8+ hour wait on the return phone call. I am sure part of that delay is complaints about managed payments etc. He told me he closed all of his Auctions and will just boycott ebay. He sent a letter to ebay telling them why he was out and the details, but I'm sure they don't give a damn.

Reaction score
12/14 to 1/4? I consider that literally criminal. My goodness, how can this be happening? There’s NOTHING anyone can do about it.

Reaction score
I sell vintage action figures, parts and accessories on ebay and I am enrolled in the "managed payments" program and haven't had any problems. For your payments, you have two options... you can have ebay send your payments to your bank account "daily" or "weekly".
I chose the daily option when I enrolled, payments show up in my bank account in no less than two days, very similar to paypal. Maybe the delay that some of you are having with payments reaching your bank account is because you have the "weekly" option selected?

Last edited: