How Would Chancellor Palpatine’s Kidnappers be able to report their Pursuits to Sidious??

Reaction score
I’ve always wondered this. Both Count Dooku and General Grievous were evil and followed the orders of their mysterious Sith Lord, Darth Sidious, right? At the beginning of Revenge of the Sith, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker had to rescue Chancellor Palpatine from Count Dooku and General Grievous right?

Well assuming the 2 villains did not know that the man they held hostage was essentially “Their Master,” if they ever wanted to generate a hologram telling Darth Sidious (Palpatine) of their capture of the Chancellor, how could they do this?

I assume Palpatine told his men to kidnap him but did he have a decoy or something act like him in his absence? And I realize as Darth Sidious, he pulled a hood down over his head to remain more mysterious but donÂ’t you think Count Dooku or General Grievous would have clearly been able to tell it was a different person wearing the hood? I mean come on!

Anyway, are there any answers to this?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The clones wars series (2d cartoon from cartoon network) ends with the lead up to this. I don't remember if they actually covered this or not but my impression was Dooku & Grevious knew who he really was.

Reaction score
The clones wars series (2d cartoon from cartoon network) ends with the lead up to this. I don't remember if they actually covered this or not but my impression was Dooku & Grevious knew who he really was.
Oh I see. I have never seen the Clone Wars. So, is it possible the three of them staged the kidnapping to try to trap Obi-Wan and Anakin? If Count Dooku and General Grievous knew it was him, that seems like the most logical answer then.

Reaction score
I think Grievous and the separatists didn't know Palpatine was Sidious, because that would ruin his plan if they did. He was using them as fodder to cause a Galactic conflict, two factions he secretly headed (one as Sidious/one as Chancellor) and then intended to decommission them once his clone ruse was revealed and destroyed the Jedi. And although Grievous does state he was trained in the Jedi arts by Dooku, I believe the only people truly in on the plan were direct Sith. So Dooku knew and eventually Vader was also informed and recruited as the new apprentice. Dooku was directly involved in the manipulation that caused the Clone army, but publicly he's the separatists leader, and privately he's ACTUALLY (first and foremost) a Sith lord. So he had to know Palpatine and Sidious were one in the same or else him going along with it all would make no sense.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think Grievous and the separatists didn't know Palpatine was Sidious, because that would ruin his plan if they did. He was using them as fodder to cause a Galactic conflict, two factions he secretly headed (one as Sidious/one as Chancellor) and then intended to decommission them once his clone ruse was revealed and destroyed the Jedi. And although Grievous does state he was trained in the Jedi arts by Dooku, I believe the only people truly in on the plan were direct Sith. So Dooku knew and eventually Vader was also informed and recruited as the new apprentice. Dooku was directly involved in the manipulation that caused the Clone army, but publicly he's the separatists leader, and privately he's ACTUALLY (first and foremost) a Sith lord. So he had to know Palpatine and Sidious were one in the same or else him going along with it all would make no sense.
Well said and this is how I've always understood the whole situation.
W