How to store NIB toys with batteries?

Reaction score
I collect a bit of everything, if its an interest to me, I will collect and display it. I am in the process of getting everything out displayed to be enjoyed, but a question came up which I am sure has been asked before. What to do with the NIB collectibles with batteries? Do I open the package and remove the batteries? Do I take my chances? I guess the question is really up to the person taking the risk, but is there a general consensus on this to follow?

A couple examples:

propel drones - They became so cheap I could not resist to purchase one to keep sealed in the box. Do I open the box, display packaging and remove the li-ion battery packs? It would no longer be considered NIB

FurReal Ultimate co-pilot Chewie
Legendary Jedi Master Yoda - Both of these have batteries installed for their demo store function. I would need to cut the seals and ties, open the box to remove the battery packs. Is it standard practice to do this?

Thanks in advance, I just would hate to see some of this stuff get ruined because of poor display habits.

Reaction score
Don't

Remove the batteries if you can, or else you (or whoever you sell to) may need to do some repair.

EDIT: I think it is understood the MIB (Mint in Box) would understandably include this possibility, while NIB (New in Box) may need a disclaimer if it has been opened.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I was leaning that way as well. Especially with lipo, imagine those could have a fire risk to them if left for long periods of time. It got me thinking after batteries exploded in a very expensive fenix flashlight. BTW white vinegar removes and cleans battery acid staining very well.

Reaction score
If you still want to keep some AA/AAA batteries in various devices/electronics/collectibles, use Panasonic Eneloop as these don't leak.