How much do you guys tip food deliveries

Reaction score
Many moons ago I delivered pizza and I averaged about 1 dollar per delivery. Here we are 20 years later, I'm curious how much people tip on delivery
I used grubhub last night and it suggested 20% but I quickly noticed the 20% was on top of the tax and fees and delivery charges. It wanted like an 8 dollar tip on 30 dollars in food. I wouldn't tip 8 dollars normally in a restaurant where they refill my drinks, bring extra stuff etc.

How much do you tip for food delivery

Reaction score
I've always tipped 10-15% for deliveries, depending on fees, etc. 20% is ridiculous and more than the standard for a waiter. When I delivered pizza, I usually got 10-15%. When I waited tables, however, I averaged a little over 25%. For any of you who have waited tables, a large percentage of our clientele were elderly and church groups. Let that sink in. I was one heckuva waiter, tops in both money and percentage earned.

Reaction score
I usually tip around 20% for restaurant service. 10% for delivery.

Reaction score
I never tip over the 15% standard because half the time it either takes too long or the order arrives as if they were driving in Daytona 500. A tip isn't a given, it is given in the form of a thank you for getting good/great service as it always has been.

And another reason is because of the darn fees have gotten atrocious, I'm sorry but a cardboard box for pizza doesn't cost four freaking Dollars!
Maybe if their fees weren't so high I'd be inclined to tip more, providing of course the food arrives warm and all in one piece.

Reaction score
it depends really. if the driver is prompt and on time than I usually do the standard 15% but if the driver is late and there is no - zero communication than the tip is less. I one time had to wait for almost 1 hour for a pizza delivery and that was after the place informed me that the driver left. by the time the pizza arrived it was cold to the touch and the cheese was congealed to one side of the box. I refused to pay for the pizza or give a tip. the driver became irate with me and I called the store and complained.

I too was a pizza delivery guy at one time and always showed professionalism and promptness of service.

Reaction score
I was at my sister's house for a party one time. It was late but still long before closing. We ordered several pizzas and after almost an hour, we called and complained. The driver was nasty with us when he dropped off the pizzas, telling us that we had no right to complain and that it wasn't his fault he was late (he had several different stories explaining why). My sister is a pushover and finally told him it was fine. She gave him a little over 10%. After he left, we opened the ice-cold pizzas and found he had taken a bite out of each one. We're not sure if he did more than that to them, but we didn't eat any of them. He lost his job and she got a lot of free pizza. It was something like two free pizzas per week for either six months or a year.

Reaction score
I usually tip based on rounding the amount off to a whole dollar figure, but I try to keep 15% as the minimum. For example, if the food comes to $16.79, I'll usually give them a 20 and tell them to keep the change. It's it's like $18.11, I'll usually give them $22 or something.

What aggravates me is when the driver claims they don't have change. A local pizza place around here was notorious for that. I ordered food and it came to something like $14.50. I gave the guy a $20 and said, "just give me $2 change," to which he replied, "I don't have any change." I wasn't happy about tipping 38%, but I told him it was fine.

The next time it happened, my total was something like $21 and I gave the driver (different driver) $30 and asked for $5 change. "I don't have any change." I said, "Well, I can either go find some pennies to give you the exact amount with no tip, or you can drive back to the store and get change, but I'm not giving you a $9 tip." To his credit he left me the food and drove back to the store to get change. I gave him a full $5 tip after that.

Also, I have heard horror stories about food delivery services like Grub Hub. I will only order delivery from places that use their own drivers. Not that it's necessarily a whole lot... "safer," but at least the restaurant is responsible for their drivers actions, so their likely to vet them a little better than a third party service.

ETA: I usually try to tip 10-15% minimum for takeout too. A little more if its sushi so the sushi chef hopefully gets a better cut (no pun intended).

Reaction score
i have stopped using grubhub and doordash now. i am tired of having to pre-tip. it means they can take as long as they want, and still get the same amount.

the last order i did, i gave a 6 dollar tip in grubhub and the food took over 1 hour and was cold.

Reaction score
What aggravates me is when the driver claims they don't have change. A local pizza place around here was notorious for that. I ordered food and it came to something like $14.50. I gave the guy a $20 and said, "just give me $2 change," to which he replied, "I don't have any change." I wasn't happy about tipping 38%, but I told him it was fine.
When I and everyone I know delivered, we were required to have cash on us. The guy I worked for said we were essentially contractors and once the pizza left the store, we were responsible for it. He gave us some cash at the start of the night to cover change on our first few runs. We then had to pay him for our receipts and the starter cash at the end of the night. Anything left, we got to keep. If someone didn't pay or got a free pizza because we screwed up, it came out of our money. I didn't work for him long enough to run into a situation where I had to eat the cost of a pizza, but others complained about it. I don't know that what he was doing was legal, but I think that's part of why he only hired teenagers.

Nowadays, I could see a place claiming they don't let drivers carry any cash for liability reasons, but I find it hard to believe that they'd be held to no cash. Around here, it's $20.

Reaction score
When I and everyone I know delivered, we were required to have cash on us. The guy I worked for said we were essentially contractors and once the pizza left the store, we were responsible for it. He gave us some cash at the start of the night to cover change on our first few runs. We then had to pay him for our receipts and the starter cash at the end of the night. Anything left, we got to keep. If someone didn't pay or got a free pizza because we screwed up, it came out of our money. I didn't work for him long enough to run into a situation where I had to eat the cost of a pizza, but others complained about it. I don't know that what he was doing was legal, but I think that's part of why he only hired teenagers.

Nowadays, I could see a place claiming they don't let drivers carry any cash for liability reasons, but I find it hard to believe that they'd be held to no cash. Around here, it's $20.
i worked at a gas station. it was similar, we were responsible for all the money. if people didnt pay or the credit card was declined, we were basically responsible. essentially it took a police report for us to not be responsible.

only one time did i have any substantial amount taken from me, when someone stiffed me on a bad check.