How much did Jango know?

Reaction score
I've always wondered about this and maybe I'm just missing something over the past 15+ years but how much did Jango know about the grand plan?

I mean obviously he didn't know the duality of Palpatine/Sidious but he was aware of Tyranus being Dooku right? He tells Obi-Wan he was recruited by a man named Tyranus on one of the moons of Bogden but Dooku was a public figure and the face of the Sepratist movement. I can't imagine the Sith wouldn't have trusted Jango with any information especially considering he basically *****d himself out for their money.

Did he know that the Army wasn't genuinely for the Republic? I mean he basically fought alongside the droids and killed Jedi prior to the Clones arriving on Geonosis. If the Clones arrived before he was decapitated would Jango have stuck by the side of the Clones he trained and fought against the droids?

I've Googled this a few times over the years since there never really seems to be a good explanation. I'm always hoping someone comes up with something.

Now I don't know if this was stuff was covered in some comic or novel or some other EU schlock but I'm trying to find something within the canon that better explains what Jango's understanding of the whole thing was. I played the Bounty Hunter game a few times (it's actually a pretty good game) and at the very end Jango does meet Dooku and is offered and accepts the job. But besides that the rest of the game isn't canon and doesn't really answer anything anyway.

Was this ever addressed in the Clone Wars cartoon? Am I missing something or really overthinking this?

Reaction score
I think there's a double meaning to the line where jango says (to obi-wan) "they'll do their job well enough" -- this guy KNOWS what their "job" is meant to be -- he's talking about order66 -- this is foreshadowing on the part of GL.
jango hates jedis for some reason. I think he participated willingly because he knew the role that his clones would have in the fall of the Jedi Order.
he knows Dooku is Tyrannus; he knows the clones are for the republic army; and he knows what their ultimate 'job' is meant to be --> he knows about order66. (or that delicious 'foreshadowing' comment to obi-wan, has no meaning).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think there's a double meaning to the line where jango says (to obi-wan) "they'll do their job well enough" -- this guy KNOWS what their "job" is meant to be -- he's talking about order66 -- this is foreshadowing on the part of GL.
jango hates jedis for some reason. I think he participated willingly because he knew the role that his clones would have in the fall of the Jedi Order.
he knows Dooku is Tyrannus; he knows the clones are for the republic army; and he knows what their ultimate 'job' is meant to be --> he knows about order66. (or that delicious 'foreshadowing' comment to obi-wan, has no meaning).
I always thought that his line about them doing their job COULD have meant that but we really won't ever know. I liked Jango I wish he wasn't killed off so quick.

Reaction score
Cobalt’s way too generous to George’s storytelling-process— as usual LOL

I doubt George had even thought about “Order 66” at that point when he was thoughtlessly hurrying through AOTC. Didn’t he admit casually that he was still finishing up the script when they started filming…??? Jango’s admittedly cryptic line about the Clones “doing their job” is just another convenient consequence that happened to line up with Order 66— much like the Joseph Campbell reverence scholars immediately latched onto as a resounding repository of the OT, when it was more Flash Gordon George had in mind.

I did read the novelization of AOTC, along with owning the Art of AOTC— in an attempt, and in vain, to get something, anything, substantial out of what I saw as a tacky hot mess of a movie. And I remember there being more story about Jango’s devotion to his son, which was the most important thing he got out of his deal with the Clones. I can’t remember anything in the novelization that revealed anything in regards to any deeper knowledge nor involvement he may have had with the Clones and Separatists, other than he was a ruthless mercenary and a glorified bodyguard to Dooku. He never cared for politics nor society; just sided with who would pay him best. He just wanted to raise his son and live in his own world. (Something maybe we all can relate to… getting away from the mindless masses— not the raising and devoting life to an ankle-biter part LOL)

Reaction score

The Bloodlines and Open Seasons comics will tell you why he hated the Jedi. In fact, he fought Count Dooku when he led a group of Jedi to capture Mandalore....and Jango killed all but Dooku.

latest

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've always wondered about this and maybe I'm just missing something over the past 15+ years but how much did Jango know about the grand plan?

I mean obviously he didn't know the duality of Palpatine/Sidious but he was aware of Tyranus being Dooku right? He tells Obi-Wan he was recruited by a man named Tyranus on one of the moons of Bogden but Dooku was a public figure and the face of the Sepratist movement. I can't imagine the Sith wouldn't have trusted Jango with any information especially considering he basically *****d himself out for their money.

Did he know that the Army wasn't genuinely for the Republic? I mean he basically fought alongside the droids and killed Jedi prior to the Clones arriving on Geonosis. If the Clones arrived before he was decapitated would Jango have stuck by the side of the Clones he trained and fought against the droids?

I've Googled this a few times over the years since there never really seems to be a good explanation. I'm always hoping someone comes up with something.

Now I don't know if this was stuff was covered in some comic or novel or some other EU schlock but I'm trying to find something within the canon that better explains what Jango's understanding of the whole thing was. I played the Bounty Hunter game a few times (it's actually a pretty good game) and at the very end Jango does meet Dooku and is offered and accepts the job. But besides that the rest of the game isn't canon and doesn't really answer anything anyway.

Was this ever addressed in the Clone Wars cartoon? Am I missing something or really overthinking this?

That is something I have been pondering as well. I believe he would have fought with the Clones as they were his "family" as he had on Galidraan before the Jedi massacred/ambushed them.

Reaction score
Sidious was THE master schemer. He would only allow Jango to know what’s necessary. He certainly wasn’t privy to the Grand Plan.