How have you moved your lego displays?

Reaction score
I'm in the process of moving and only have about 4 sets that I love. The Star Destroyer that opens up, collectors edition AT-ST, Collectors Edition Tie Inteceptor and the Rouge Shadow.

Most of my others are gone, but do you find it mandatory to disassemble your legos, pack them up and re-assemble them again? Seems like a bunch of work. But I'll do what I must either way.

Just seeing what others who have moved with legos have done in the past.

Reaction score
I disassemble them, but then most of my collection is in storage most of the time.
That's kinda the fun, putting them back together when i went to change my display.

If i had to take apart every set i own and put every one back together, it would literally take weeks... i've done that a couple times when i want to take collection pics like this: http://www.jedicecil.50megs.com/picsjedicecil50megscom/legocollection4.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I usually put the model in a copy paper box with some shirts around it. Have to move the shirts anyway.

Reaction score
Considering the inherent instability in the 6211 ISD, you might as well disassemble a lot of that one, maybe to just a few large assemblies. You'll be putting it back together anyways if you try to move it in an assembled condition. I had a Rogue Shadow and sold it, but I recall it was a fairly stable build and could probably travel ok with the removal of a few parts, perhaps the rotating assemblies and the front guns. I'd think you'd at least need to take the wings off of the TIE, and the legs off of the AT-ST.

That said, if I have a box for a set, I'll disassemble it into sub-assemblies and then store it in the box. If not, I'll completely disassemble the set, bag it in a ziplock or two, and put it into a box or bin for transport. I can rebuild them later. Of course, my collection has at least doubled in size since the last time I moved, so we'll see how well that method works when it's time to head out.

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input.

Looks like I have to ask my wife to disassemble the sets into smaller assemblies. I think that's the way I'll go. Too bad I can't do it myself as I am not there now. The wife stayed behind to deal with the house while I moved forward.

Any way, thanks again!

Reaction score
How far you moving? If just across town, I'd put a set in a box in the car each time I went to the new place. But if you're moving far or have movers coming in, I'd pack it up tight.
I'll be moving real soon, but I don't know yet if it'll be across town or 800 miles away. Either way, I'm dreading the moving process.

Reaction score
Moving from Colorado Springs to Omaha Nebraska. And the movers are going to get there before I do... meaning I am already in Omaha and my wife stays behind. So I am not optimistic about the chances of these sets I have. Too bad, I was just too swamped before I left to start thinking about my legos. Oh well, I can do the best I can. I'll tell my wife to tell the movers to hold off on the legos so I can pack them.

Reaction score
Guess I didn't have a choice. Bummer. My wife let the packers pack everything up and that included the legos. All apparently boxed in a box labled LEGGOS.

This should be interesting.

Reaction score
Makes me think "LEGGO my EGGO". And yes, this should be interesting. You might want to download the instructions for the sets from lego.com in case those are separated from the rest of it.

Reaction score
I kept all the boxes with the origional instructions. Now I just have to find them amongst all the boxes...

The only instructions I don't have is the UCS Tie Incterceptor. BUt I can get that easily enough.