How gold can C3PO get? any pics? variations of color on C3PO gold to silver etc?

Reaction score
anyone out there who has really gold C3PO in there collection? would like to see the goldest. i know the light can effect this. seen a few on ebay a while back wondering if they had been touch up to make them look more gold.
any links the different variations of color on C3PO gold to silver etc?

Reaction score
I suggest you contact Wolff (wbobafett). He has got to be by far the most meticulous variant collector out there, with just an unbelievable photo reference of every imaginable variation.

Ian

Reaction score
No pics but I'd guess either a Takara or POCH are your best bet for gold.

Reaction score
No pics but I'd guess either a Takara or POCH are your best bet for gold.
Great thread, thanks for the picture reference.

I'd swear that some of those guys have wider set shoulders than others, but I guess my eyes are playing tricks on me...
(?)

Last edited:
Reaction score
From what I can tell, I have the I-1b variation (the second one from the top left) in Tantor's image up top. I specifically bought it from a comic book shop because it had the brightest gold color that I had ever seen in person. Most of the 3PO's that I was used to were from the ESB and ROTJ lines and tended to be more of a silver with a slight yellowish tint.

Reaction score
I have been told that the poch c3po is one of the brightest gold variants out there. I really don't know. It seems to me that on some of these the gold comes more from some layer of varnish that was applied likely to seal the chroming process. This varnish can fall prey to degradation and that is why sometimes you can find an r2d2 that appears to be gold colored or a Death Star droid that is gold colored. The c3po chroming process may have a heavier layer of this sealant or it may have been more of a gold tinged color to begin with but to me the ones that have the brightest gold seem to have an extremely thick layer of this sealant over them.

Reaction score
My brother and I went through many Threepios over the course of Kenner's run, replacing them when their joints got so loose they were like floppy rag dolls. And as hard as we searched, we never found one as gold as my brother's original from the first wave we found in 1978. We STILL talk about how gold he was... lol

Reaction score
some random pics of my POCH C-3PO....

Last edited:
Reaction score
how hard would it be to find a loose near mint poch one with stiff limbs?

Last edited:
Reaction score
how hard would it be to find a loose near mint poch one with stiff limbs?
ive been obsessed with building my poch collection lately , this would be very tough to find a near mint one and quite pricey as well

Reaction score
mice mint possible, but there are plenty out there for sale if you know who to ask ;)

Reaction score
There was a guy at the Anaheim room sales with 3 Poch loosies. None mint, but decent.