How Did General Grievous and Count Dooku Report to Darth Sidious while Chancellor Palpatine was their Prisoner in episode 3?

Reaction score
If Palpatine and Sidious are the same guy, how did this happen? At the beginning of episode 3, Anakin and Obi Wan rescue Chancellor Palpatine from General Grievous and Anakin even kills Count Dooku during the rescue. I know Darth Sidious wanted to fool everyone including his own people, but suppose General Grievous or Count Dooku wanted to ask Darth Sidious a question about how to handle something and they decide to call him on one of those hologram machines. How would Sidious explain his absence. Does it strike anyone else as weird that General Grievous and Count Dooku had their own “boss” as a hostage and didn’t even know it was him?

Remember in Superman when he would wear glasses and disguise himself as Clark Kent? How stupid did the creators of Superman think the average people would be thinking a single pair of glasses would hide his identity. Well Star Wars isn’t much better. How come neither Grievous nor Dooku couldn’t look at his face and recognize him? All he did to be Sidious was pull a hood down over his eyes!

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
He wouldn't contact them back via hologram in that situation. This was all evil machinations, planned out. No matter what happened in the Battle of Coruscant, Palpatine wouldn't care that much...clearly...if Grievous or Dooku died. From what I understand, Dooku did know Sidious was Palpatine. Can't remember if Grievous did but if Grievous never truly met him in the Sidious persona in person, I can see how it could be hidden via hologram. So the real question, in my mind, is once Palpatine says to Anakin "Kill him!" ah...why....would Dooku not speak up? That seems pretty darn plot convenience. It never made sense to me that, once realizing he was betrayed and having plenty of time to say something and oust him, he didn't. All it took was "Oh hey, BY THE WAY, Palpatine's the Sith Lord!"

Reaction score
in the novel, Dooku speaks up at the last second. "But Chancellor! You promised me immunity! We had a Deal!" (orsomethinglikethat).

the author then reveals Dooku's thoughts: he realizes he was set up, and his sole purpose in Palpatine's Master Plan was to BE the victim of 'Anakin's First Murder', thus facilitating Anakin's turn to the dark side --> he accepts this, and allows it to happen.

Reaction score
I always assumed before Sidious told them to capture...himself...that he made it clear under no circumstances were they to contact him, until the mission was complete. In this case, it would only be once the Chancellor was safely delivered to where ever "Sidious" told them to take...him. I don't think it is a convenient plot point, I think it actually makes sense as Sidious being all knowing knew they would never make it out of Coruscant airspace. If you ever watch the Clone Wars, many times Sidious tells (or threatens) Dooku with "not to contact him again until he has achieved his objective (paraphrasing)".

The novel explanation also makes sense that Dooku basically went along with the deception, but they did not inform Grievous.

Also, the Clone Wars cartoons and even some of the comics elude to Sidious' true face is what is revealed after the force lightning. That he was basically wearing a Chancellor "mask" that got disrupted and damaged by Mace deflecting the force lightning, which revealed his true Sith features. In the Clone Wars, every time he shows up as Sidious (in person or via hologram) he has jagged teeth and a more elongated jaw. When is Chancellor, his features are normal. I know that's kind of more off screen but that is the theory, so Grievous would not recognize him.

Reaction score
Obi-wan was told by Dooku in AOTC that the Repbulic was under the control of a Sith Lord. It's Yoda's fault for at least not looking into it rather than dismissing the theory all together. Dummies. LOL!

Reaction score
Obi-wan was told by Dooku in AOTC that the Repbulic was under the control of a Sith Lord. It's Yoda's fault for at least not looking into it rather than dismissing the theory all together. Dummies. LOL!
Even Mace Windu agreed with Obi Wan to keep a closer eye on the Senate in AOTC after this reveal. Yoda dismisses Dooku as a lying Sith, but then (kind of) agrees to keep an eye on the Senate, but clearly never does as you said.

In ROTS, Mace even states to Anakin "then our worst fears have been realized" when it is revealed that Palpatine is the Sith Lord. Mace states earlier in the film that he "senses a plot to destroy the Jedi" and even questions Anakin being the Chosen One, saying how dangerous it is letting him and Palpatine team up. It all seems to be ignored by Yoda. Maybe that is why Yoda takes it on himself to confront Sidious? Even Sidious mocks "Your arrogance blinds you Master Jedi. At last, the Jedi are no more!" and cackles. Yoda's arrogance did indeed doom the Jedi.

I think that's why when he fails to stop Sidious (it ends in a draw) he goes into exile for failing. Like he took ignoring all the information from Mace, Obi Wan...even ignoring his own initial feelings on training Anakin...really hard. TCW cartoon touches on how hard he takes the imminent fall of the Jedi Order in the last (for now) episode as well.

Reaction score
It's this script in particular that gets character motivations blurred, (and remember these were LONG BEFORE clone wars and the other shows were made cannon) and this is how I believe the story was intended to go...
Dooku was indeed trying to bring Palpatine down, and got too wrapped up in it. I beleive he intended to only masqurede as "Darth Tyrannus" until he could take him out. this would also have allowed Dooku to keep Palpatine from training another apprentice. He clearly tells Obi wan, so there must be some sort of good left in Dooku, or he was trying to userp the power and take Obi wan as his apprentice. Both could be correct at the same time.

Reaction score
It's this script in particular that gets character motivations blurred, (and remember these were LONG BEFORE clone wars and the other shows were made cannon) and this is how I believe the story was intended to go...
Dooku was indeed trying to bring Palpatine down, and got too wrapped up in it. I beleive he intended to only masqurede as "Darth Tyrannus" until he could take him out. this would also have allowed Dooku to keep Palpatine from training another apprentice. He clearly tells Obi wan, so there must be some sort of good left in Dooku, or he was trying to userp the power and take Obi wan as his apprentice. Both could be correct at the same time.
That's kind of what Luke did in Dark Empire. He agrees, without incident, to become the Clone Palpatine's new apprentice in order to take him down from the inside. Palpatine is even aware of Luke sabotaging his destroyers, etc. But he says Luke cannot stop the fall to the dark side. Leia then comes to rescue Luke, but the Emperor was after her twins (unborn) all along to transfer his energy into them. So, yeah, your points make sense if GL wanted to use Dark Empire as a rough outline.

However, I do think Dooku telling Obi Wan about a Sith Lord running the Senate was more like Darth Vader telling Luke the Emperor has foreseen Luke destroying him. Almost like I'll give you some truth to get you to trust me, but I am really using you to help me take out Palpatine.

Reaction score
ironically, Vader telling Luke that the emperor has "forseen" Luke destroying the Emperor, actually MAKES Luke jump. LOL

afterall, if this prophecy was "forseen" -- (and IF Luke believes in the force) -- then this means Luke WILL survive the fall...

...so he jumps. ("wait, whut..? It Is 'My Destiny'..? thanks for the info-oo-oo-oo..!")

Last edited:
Reaction score
In regards to Dooku not ratting out Palpatine I think it's definitely plausible. Dooku is literally at deaths door, you can clearly see he's not only trying to process the betrayal but also his own imminent death. He's more wtf is going on then anything else and for good reason too. Also he definitely knew who Palpatine was imo.