How close Have you come to walking away?

Reaction score
Precisely! I realize that they store different molds at different factories so it's certainly possible to lose some and not others but what I find odd is that only the TLC molds were lost because that specific Han sculpt was released in the same wave as the McQuarrie Snow Trooper from TAC, Bane Malar wave from TLC. Not to mention several other figures that eventually made their way into TVC 1.0 and TBS 3.75" that were from TAC/TLC waves.

And we know that when Hasbro puts together a wave all figures are located in the same factory, so a person did some deep digging you could possibly piece together the molds that do still exist from TAC/TLC simple based on what old molds their still using today. Using TVC 1.0 is an accurate tool because they could have been lost sometime after 2010-11 based on them using the BSG for a 3pk but elected not to reissue it to coincide with CFC nor for the recent releases.

And interestingly the upcoming AOTC Obi-Wan Kenobi reissue was originally a Legacy figure, so that should technically mean all those figures in wave 7 would still to exist. Such as Owen, Beru, Tardos gon as well as Concept Anakin. However, giving them benefit of the doubt I can see how "some" molds might fall and break while the one Obi-Wan mold did not. Or it was simply a broad statement to hopefully quash any requests for certain repack from good days long gone because they don't truly know themselves what they have. It could have been 5 molds or 25 molds that were lost/broken and they have no way to determine without investigating it.

Reaction score
I want to know if the rumors are true that they don't have the molds for most of the figures that were done back in the 30th Anniversary and Legacy Collection days. I could understand if they don't have or can't use a 15 year old mold, but it's not like they aren't still using the the 2004 Han Solo mold in 2021.

I'd like to know this as well.

Reaction score
How does that work anyway?
What is the expected life span of a mould? And why aren't they utilizing that, while it lasts? for, oh say, e.g. the new STORMTROOPERS!!!! :)

The problem with those Legacy and TAC molds is that under Chinese law, the factories own those molds. Under normal patent laws in every western (and countires that follow those types of rules like S. Korea, Japan, Australia), the molds would be property of the company that made them. So, Hasbro has to pay those factories to store the molds.
The story that I heard was that Hasbro didn't want to pay for the molds to be put in storage, so the company either destroyed the molds or kept them as their own property. If Hasbro wanted to reuse those molds, they'd have to pay a certain amount to get access to them. That's why Hasbro says with some molds, it's cheaper to just create a new one than to use the old one. Of course, some molds wear out after so many usages as well.

Reaction score
^ Which sadly if true then China got the better molds out of the deal because look at the crap they keep reissuing, why couldn't that crappy Endor Han been the one of the molds they got?!

Reaction score
I’m not sure if someone mentioned this. The country of origin and mold variations for early 1977-1985 was a nice edition to the collecting goal. But now it seems like there is little push or interest in that niche. I could be wrong bur I haven’t really heard much about it lately…

but bringing it back to thinking of walking away, I never thought about it, but recently in Australia it has been very hard to find genuine collectors who are passionate and keen to involve others in the community. I’ve recently had a number of interactions with collectors who are super entitled, out of perspective in what they are asking for, and down right rude when you talk to them.

Reaction score
I’m not sure if someone mentioned this. The country of origin and mold variations for early 1977-1985 was a nice edition to the collecting goal. But now it seems like there is little push or interest in that niche. I could be wrong bur I haven’t really heard much about it lately…

but bringing it back to thinking of walking away, I never thought about it, but recently in Australia it has been very hard to find genuine collectors who are passionate and keen to involve others in the community. I’ve recently had a number of interactions with collectors who are super entitled, out of perspective in what they are asking for, and down right rude when you talk to them.

This is a problem out there as well. That's why I really appreciate the various fan collector sites because I can find like-minded people as well.

Reaction score

I think the majority of Star Wars people are great. Like any population there are those that just like to be contrary or have personalities that you or I may not tend to associate with.

I will admit that I have to fight myself to be appreciative of what we have going as Star Wars collectors (and more specifically for me 3.75") as I know a large number of collecting communities wish they had what we have.

Reaction score
I still do the hunt for variations. I really enjoy it since I finished my loose set many years ago.

Reaction score
This is a problem out there as well. That's why I really appreciate the various fan collector sites because I can find like-minded people as well.

I think the majority of Star Wars people are great. Like any population there are those that just like to be contrary or have personalities that you or I may not tend to associate with.
I won’t discount the fact that in general Star Wars community is great. And I know it is most likely just a bad run of those who may be not so reflective of the community.

Reaction score
I still have to believe the vast majority of the community is good and helpful in nurturing comradery amongst fellow collectors. I have noticed ongoing selfish behavior and even trolling by certain long-time members (both of which go against the foundation of this sites intended purpose) but I'm hoping those always stay in the minority. With that said, forums in general have been on the decline, and RS has been experiencing that for a number of years, though it appears to be in decent shape, especially compared to others that have withered away. I will say though, I mentioned a technical issue that killed many of the photo links on old posts - and it remains unanswered a few weeks later, which has me concerned that attention is no longer that present. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the golden era of not only collecting, but forums like these. My overall interest in active modern collecting has heavily declined, and not because of a few "bad apples", but the pre-order process, overall availability, endless repaints, inflated prices, etc. I get far more happiness buying an old Kenner beater at a collectible shop than buying nearly anything from Hasbro nowadays. They still make some amazing products, but after opening one of those, the feeling is often fleeting. As a matter of fact, as an opener, my recent purchases are still carded and sitting in a box. Sometimes I'm tempted to return them and cancel upcoming pre-orders. I wonder if some of us stick around more out of loyalty or to "complete" a collection of certain characters (that likely never will be) rather than out of any real remaining joy for the actual modern hobby anymore. I know my musings won't be shared by all, but I'm interested to know if anyone feels similar.

Reaction score
I made the decision a month back or so that I'm not going to walk away, but I am going to think a bit longer before I pre-order or buy something. Where I live, the small shops that keep SW collecting alive started getting solid cases again (they ended back in 2004), so that's going to help. The last few years, I was basically buying cases just to get the figures I wanted in a wave. Sometimes I was able to trade off a figure I didn't want for something else, but I ended up buying some figures I really didn't want.

I think by focusing on what I really want, colecting will become more fun. As I've said in other threads, if Hasbro finishes off the O96, I won't quit because they can still make some really cool figures from a lot of different sources that I'd buy.

Reaction score
I still have to believe the vast majority of the community is good and helpful in nurturing comradery amongst fellow collectors. I have noticed ongoing selfish behavior and even trolling by certain long-time members (both of which go against the foundation of this sites intended purpose) but I'm hoping those always stay in the minority. With that said, forums in general have been on the decline, and RS has been experiencing that for a number of years, though it appears to be in decent shape, especially compared to others that have withered away. I will say though, I mentioned a technical issue that killed many of the photo links on old posts - and it remains unanswered a few weeks later, which has me concerned that attention is no longer that present. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the golden era of not only collecting, but forums like these. My overall interest in active modern collecting has heavily declined, and not because of a few "bad apples", but the pre-order process, overall availability, endless repaints, inflated prices, etc. I get far more happiness buying an old Kenner beater at a collectible shop than buying nearly anything from Hasbro nowadays. They still make some amazing products, but after opening one of those, the feeling is often fleeting. As a matter of fact, as an opener, my recent purchases are still carded and sitting in a box. Sometimes I'm tempted to return them and cancel upcoming pre-orders. I wonder if some of us stick around more out of loyalty or to "complete" a collection of certain characters (that likely never will be) rather than out of any real remaining joy for the actual modern hobby anymore. I know my musings won't be shared by all, but I'm interested to know if anyone feels similar.
I have a short list of figures I still really hope they get to, but I can say that I don't really have an 'agenda' as far as my collecting goes. I like the 3.75" scale of action figures. I branched out to Marvel Universe and a few other similar size lines when Hasbro had nothing to buy but 5POA or 6" stuff awhile back and I decided I'm just not buying anything else really. If modern new Hasbro figures go to $20+ like that Boba figure I did not buy then I imagine collecting new Hasbro has hit its end for me and I'll be looking harder for old stuff. It does the soul good to let go of stuff like Star Wars pencils, mousepads, mugs, and other tchotchkes (had to look up the spelling for that word I don't think I've ever seen written down :p) so I've been purging for a few years.

I would be quite sad of this forum was gone though. It's a daily read and without much actual news at least there are people talking about things here. Facebook groups just don't get the back and forth and if there is somewhere else to chat I don't know about it.
I made the decision a month back or so that I'm not going to walk away, but I am going to think a bit longer before I pre-order or buy something. Where I live, the small shops that keep SW collecting alive started getting solid cases again (they ended back in 2004), so that's going to help. The last few years, I was basically buying cases just to get the figures I wanted in a wave. Sometimes I was able to trade off a figure I didn't want for something else, but I ended up buying some figures I really didn't want.

I think by focusing on what I really want, colecting will become more fun. As I've said in other threads, if Hasbro finishes off the O96, I won't quit because they can still make some really cool figures from a lot of different sources that I'd buy.
I'll probably never quit entirely. I still have fun, but the frustration is real.

Reaction score
I agree that the forums are really a fun place to go back and forth about stuff. Even the Disqus stuff only works when you're online at that moment.

I would really miss the forums if they went away. I'm not against new internet tech like Disqus, Insta, and FB, and all. I'd just like to see things like the forum stick around.

I agree about the frustration. I have a list of about 10 figures in my head that if Hasbro made those my collection would be, for me, complete and everything else would just be gravy.

Reaction score
I agree that the forums are really a fun place to go back and forth about stuff. Even the Disqus stuff only works when you're online at that moment.

I would really miss the forums if they went away. I'm not against new internet tech like Disqus, Insta, and FB, and all. I'd just like to see things like the forum stick around.

I agree about the frustration. I have a list of about 10 figures in my head that if Hasbro made those my collection would be, for me, complete and everything else would just be gravy.
Let's see if your top 10 match mine: I'm assuming no because everyone has their favorites :unsure:
IF the line ended and I could choose the last 10... 1)I'd choose figures of characters never before made for sure and 2) only including those that would fit on a blister card. In no particular order:
1) Tonnika (either, doesn't matter... if I have to I'll custom the other)
2) Velken Tezerri (most obvious missing skiff guard)
3) Bodhi Rook (I believe a Baze Malbus is just around the corner but if not he may get in this top 10 instead of someone else)
4) Kitster & Wald (I contend this is a fair single card figure like the 2 jawas or jawa and droid we've gotten in the past)
5) Taym Dren-Garen (the only guy to actually hit Skywalker)
6) Brethup (Dalmation colored Ewok)
7) C-21 Highsinger (never going to happen but a huge favorite from the moment he appeared)
8) Padme - Lakeside Dress (I feel they could do a dozen Padmes or Amidalas)
9) Yerka Mig (need more Humans in the cantina)
10) Atheloe (cantina)

I'm sure I'm missing someone I really want... and I actually have a list of over 100 that I'm hoping to see done or redone (like Labria, Muftak, Taun We, Lama Su, etc.)

Reaction score
The problem with those Legacy and TAC molds is that under Chinese law, the factories own those molds. Under normal patent laws in every western (and countires that follow those types of rules like S. Korea, Japan, Australia), the molds would be property of the company that made them. So, Hasbro has to pay those factories to store the molds.
The story that I heard was that Hasbro didn't want to pay for the molds to be put in storage, so the company either destroyed the molds or kept them as their own property. If Hasbro wanted to reuse those molds, they'd have to pay a certain amount to get access to them. That's why Hasbro says with some molds, it's cheaper to just create a new one than to use the old one. Of course, some molds wear out after so many usages as well.
It's not a matter of Chinese law. It only depends on what kind of deal Hasbro made with the company that made the tooling. They could opt to own the tools or not, but Hasbro would have to pay more to own the tools. In either case, they would still need to pay for long term storage and maintenance as you say. So, the cheapest option is to pay to have the tools made, use them, and have them scrapped after a period of time. Most companies will keep tooling for a few years just in case. If they haven't used them again in a couple of years, they would probably just scrap it.
How does that work anyway?
What is the expected life span of a mould? And why aren't they utilizing that, while it lasts? for, oh say, e.g. the new STORMTROOPERS!!!! :)
Usually, a company can decide on a lifespan of a mold measured in number of parts the mold can make. The tooling can be made out of different types and grades of metals and this would determine how many parts can be made on the mold before it starts to wear out. The type of material being molded also factors into it. As you might guess if you want a longer lifespan of a mold you need to pay more to use better materials. Still, you must maintain a mold if you are to store them long term. You have to keep them coated in oil and maintain a low humidity environment so that the molds don't corrode and rust over time.

You can make injection molding tools that can only make 1000's or 10,000's of parts or even over a million parts.

Reaction score
^ ^ Nice list, and I would likely buy all but two of them. Brethup (Dalmation colored Ewok) would be my top followed by Tonnika Sisters, Padme and Kitster & Wald rounding out the top 5.
I made the decision a month back or so that I'm not going to walk away, but I am going to think a bit longer before I pre-order or buy something.
I think what caused most of us tp pre-order everything immediately was due to the fact we weren't finding it later, now that it seems we can actually do that and even get them on sale merely a few months after release it no longer feels like we must pre-order day one to ensure we get what we're after.

It was to the point I was pre-ordering figures I wasn't even interested in but getting just in case I wanted them for custom fodder later, that way I'd get it for retail rather than the 3rd party seller prices.

Reaction score
Let's see if your top 10 match mine: I'm assuming no because everyone has their favorites :unsure:
IF the line ended and I could choose the last 10... 1)I'd choose figures of characters never before made for sure and 2) only including those that would fit on a blister card. In no particular order:

I forgot to qualify my statement with my top 10 list being from the OT. Of course, I want a lot more, but growing up with the OT, I'll always have the softest spot for that era.

Farmboy Luke, ANH Leia, Owen, Beru, Admiral Piett, 2-1B, Obi-Wan Spirit, Sim Aloo, Leia-Ewok Dress. I'd also like to see the Tonnikas and possibly a new Wuher. The Cantina Band Member used to be on the list along with an OT stormtrooper with holster, but those two are coming, so the list went down a bit.

Except for Sim Aloo and the Tonnikas, I have a version of those characters (a couple are POTF2, though). So, I at least have that, but I'd like to see updates. I think Luke and the two Leias have food chances of being made. Sim Aloo does too if Hasbro really wants to redo all O96. An Obi-Wan spirit would be an easy "repaint" with the current Obi-Wan figure. 2-1B is ok, but I think they could really make a cool one with today's standards. My biggest want is Piett, though, and I think if they don't announce him for next year, then the clock will have run out on him.

I'd still like RO and Solo figures and I'm always up for some cool OT/PT aliens and droids, but I'd almost have to consider those gravy. At least, until my top 9 (11) have been made.

Reaction score
I forgot to qualify my statement with my top 10 list being from the OT. Of course, I want a lot more, but growing up with the OT, I'll always have the softest spot for that era.

Farmboy Luke, ANH Leia, Owen, Beru, Admiral Piett, 2-1B, Obi-Wan Spirit, Sim Aloo, Leia-Ewok Dress. I'd also like to see the Tonnikas and possibly a new Wuher. The Cantina Band Member used to be on the list along with an OT stormtrooper with holster, but those two are coming, so the list went down a bit.

Except for Sim Aloo and the Tonnikas, I have a version of those characters (a couple are POTF2, though). So, I at least have that, but I'd like to see updates. I think Luke and the two Leias have food chances of being made. Sim Aloo does too if Hasbro really wants to redo all O96. An Obi-Wan spirit would be an easy "repaint" with the current Obi-Wan figure. 2-1B is ok, but I think they could really make a cool one with today's standards. My biggest want is Piett, though, and I think if they don't announce him for next year, then the clock will have run out on him.

I'd still like RO and Solo figures and I'm always up for some cool OT/PT aliens and droids, but I'd almost have to consider those gravy. At least, until my top 9 (11) have been made.
I'm with you on all of that 100%.

ANH Luke and Leia are WAAAAAAAAAAY overdue and the Ewok dress Leia as well. I feel like Piett has to be on the top tier as they can always do new heads and reuse the mold... in fact Imperial officers would be a great 4 pack in the same vein as the Tantive and Stormtrooper 4 pack sets recently. One new mold and you have over a dozen options.

I keep trying to push the Tonnikas back up the ladder but I'm not sure it's ever going to happen. Cantina will never be complete without them.

Reaction score
I know I differ on this aspect than 97% of the community but I feel that both Luke and Leia could have been retools thus saving budget in order to make Ewok Leia that requires all new tooling. That figure would definitely have to be released in a reuse heavy wave as well so the candidates would have to be solid and elicit multiple buys such as an Ewok repaint named Brethup (Dalmation) as well as the Endor Trooper with new head sculpt. And while not an army builder per say nor Endor related General Madine via Lando retool, only need anew head and skirt piece. Plus it would also knock off a 96 candidate.

Piett wouldn't be a large cost either if they reused Tarkin's legs and just tooled anew torso and head, though I suspect the holdup on Imperial Officers as well as others could be the need to "modernize" the figures to today's standards with new hips and ankles. Which is why we're also seeing increased reuse like Lando/Lobot/Bib, and DSG/Figrin Dan/etc. to get the updates that are needed and save money on new tooling.

Which makes figures that are a one and done like Ewok Dress Leis so rare and in a holding pattern. I mean there's not many bare leg figures with sandals that can be reused under a new SG's dress to even be able to meet them half way.

Reaction score
I know I differ on this aspect than 97% of the community but I feel that both Luke and Leia could have been retools thus saving budget in order to make Ewok Leia that requires all new tooling. That figure would definitely have to be released in a reuse heavy wave as well so the candidates would have to be solid and elicit multiple buys such as an Ewok repaint named Brethup (Dalmation) as well as the Endor Trooper with new head sculpt. And while not an army builder per say nor Endor related General Madine via Lando retool, only need anew head and skirt piece. Plus it would also knock off a 96 candidate.
They did a kitbash Luke and he ended up with short skinny legs on an oversized body. For Leia, the 2004 figure was decent, but with both they really NEED a new sculpt. I don't see how they get around that after 18 years. There are a lot of kitbashes that can be done, but those 2 are Primary candidates for a new figure.
Which makes figures that are a one and done like Ewok Dress Leis so rare and in a holding pattern. I mean there's not many bare leg figures with sandals that can be reused under a new SG's dress to even be able to meet them half way.
With the amount of rereleasing they are currently doing they should be able to produce a main character in a new sculpt. I'd personally rather have new characters, but no question Ewok Leia is way up the list in terms of needing a redo.

Reaction score
I don't even maintain a wishlist anymore (nor participate in voting, etc), because the vast majority are probably no longer realistic with the way the brand has been managed for years. They couldn't even put out a decent 3.75 assortment for the last film, so our obscure figure wishlists aren't going to happen. I'm not even sure they'll complete the Kenner 96 at this rate - some have been patiently waiting for a Sim Aloo update since 2003 when the other two Imperial Dignitaries were released. I think the days of campaigns might be over - plus trying to get the community to agree on a top choice - forget it, lol. I will say though, I think a Blurrg was almost universally asked for - yet no action to provide a beast assortment. I think all this mismanagement feeds into being disenfranchised with Hasbro and this hobby.

Reaction score
I guess at this point, the best way to get a new version of a figure is to make sure parts of that figure can be used to make another figure as well.

Reaction score
The problem with that path is that Star Wars is nothing like G.I. Joe or Marvel, there are simply too many character specific/unique looks to an outfit for it to be reused on another. Not counting close enough aspects like reusing legs of DSG for Figrin Dan, or Lando for Lobot or even the latest BSG's etc. It's extremely difficult to plan for a figure like Ewok Leia because the only other character you might be able to reuse the legs for are Oola or Garsa Fwip for example. Mostly of characters Disney/Hasbro seems reluctant to make.

Reaction score
The thing is that we don't know what Bib's pants under his robes look like, so I was fine with them reusing the Lando legs for him. I actually find it brillaint when Hasbro does something like that, when it works. Fan sites told Hasbro years ago they should try kitbashing when it works and back then Hasbro just brushed the idea away. Now, they seem to be embracing it. Sometimes, like with Lando/Bib it works fine, other times, like with the upcoming Figrin D'an, not so much.

I'd be fine if Hasbro reused the Lando/Bib legs on Sim Aloo. Again, he has such long robes, you don't know what he was wearing underneath them and nobody would really care. If that type of thing would get him made, I'd be all for it.

Reaction score
While I agree, I never mentioned Bib in this equation. I don't think using his legs for Ewok Leia is going to work even if the dress covers them. :p

Reaction score
I started my purge over the weekend at a local collector show, made a nice chunk of change too so that what nice
I had been contemplating this recently but getting our tax bill earlier this month really pushed me over the edge and 90% of this stuff is just sitting in storage since I am out of display space
Next phase is posting online and shipping but so far, no regrets!

Reaction score
I haven't purchased any Star Wars related things in a year, I was hoping to go shopping at Cele. next month but I cancelled everything due to the "many problems" that are buzzing around Anaheim and Calif. in general. I think I will focus more on "older" Star Wars items now than the "Disney era" things. I haven't gotten rid of anything I currently have stuffed in the "toy room".